Wonder Twins Quality Control issues

degra

I have been perusing ebay for a set of these. I never buy anything sight unseen unless there is no way around it like is the case with the Matty stuff or I trust the judgment of a fellow poster who picks them up for me so a lot of the buyers won't provide pictures because they won't take the Twins out of the white outer box they come in. I'm glad I didn't buy any of those sets after seeing about 20 sets from sellers who actually provided photos. Mattel still can't get a handle on quality control. I sort of let up a little after waves 7 and 8 gave me some hope they got a handle on things. But now I'm worrying again since the Brainiac two tone problem then all the problems I saw with the Twins.

It is difficult enough to find a single carded figure with no problems but a three pack is maddening. I saw a Jayna with her collar not glued and halfway over her head. Apparently Mattel didn't use the same color plastic on all the figures because I saw three different shades of their outfits--a way too dark purple, the correct lighter purple and a way too light almost blue purple. At first I thought it might have been the lighting then I saw a Jayna that was assembled with the correct purple everywhere except they used the baby blue plastic lower legs. So you can definitely tell the drastic difference as you go from the purple of the upper leg to the blue on the lower.

I saw wide variances in the eyes and application of eyeliner. Some Zans have too thick eyeliner making him look quite flamboyant. Some Jaynas look possessed with these psychotic looking eyes. Apparently there are two paints used on some of the Zans where there is the metallic paint like on the boots on the hands as well as the rest of the glove. Then there are some with the metallic paint used only on the fist with a non painted dull dark blue plastic for the rest of the glove.

I don't get it. You would think with this being a SDCC exclusive and the significant price increase they would have gone out of their way to guarantee far more consistency than in the normal figure line.

As a result I've had to pass on several sets. I'm not about to plunk down close to a hundred dollars for a set if it ain't near perfect. If the set was more in line with the prices of the other sets I might not be so strict.

By the way I also discovered a few of the sellers use different ebay usernames because a few when they responded to me like "oh no not you again" :lol:

The two tone pink on brainiac varies. The one Ghostal reviewed is very bad whereas the one l have held in my hands is quite subtle to the point you would not notice the different types of pink unless you look at the fig for a long time

There is no 'two tone' problem with the Brainiacs. It's just an issue of how different plastics reflect light. All of the Brainiacs ive seen in stores have a color that seems to match, but when you get it home under regular lightbulbs, the arms look darker(its because they absorb more light, being softer plastics)

Any soft plastic vs hard plastic is going to look different under certain lighting.

There is no 'two tone' problem with the Brainiacs. It's just an issue of how different plastics reflect light. All of the Brainiacs ive seen in stores have a color that seems to match, but when you get it home under regular lightbulbs, the arms look darker(its because they absorb more light, being softer plastics)

Any soft plastic vs hard plastic is going to look different under certain lighting.

I agree with the hard vs soft plastic and how they look under different lights. However, the one poe ghostal has is really bad

http://www.poeghostal.com/2009/07/review-c...e-classics.html

The one I have is not bad under regular lightbulbs. However, the pink tone is actually more of a purple in person but turns out pink in images.

Either poe ghostal received a bad one or the way he takes images of his toys affects the way the pink looks

I really still believe it's the lighting. I owned this set and heard about the problem. I ended up finding another set at TRU where the torso looked as purple as the arms. When I got it home, it looked idetical to Poe's. Its only the lighting.

Here's an example. I just took these. Same figure in both pics

brainyshot.jpg

I really still believe it's the lighting. I owned this set and heard about the problem. I ended up finding another set at TRU where the torso looked as purple as the arms. When I got it home, it looked idetical to Poe's. Its only the lighting.

Here's an example. I just took these. Same figure in both pics

brainyshot.jpg

I went and did the light thing with my brainiac and it came out the same way as the above pics. Either way its not acceptable that under certain lights the color is either corrected or off.

At first I didn't think my was like that but I just look and well check for yourself. He is behind Aquaman.

100_3098.jpg

My was done with flash and you can see the different color in Brainiac.

I shinned a flashlight on mines and it is turned out like poes and dr ventures. Even though I knew that the different in plastics would look different(I have a GL, a hulk, and mongul with the same but different shaded parts) as poe said (soft vs hard), I thought it was subtle in Brainiac and that poe's probably had a messed up batch. However, venture is right and it proves that there is no two tone issue since it is the diff. in plastic types of plastic used.

Therefore, one shouldn't worry in getting brainiac since the shade of plastic will be different but it primary depends on the lighting.

I don't really care if it's off color I was just showing that my is the same. The only one I think I didn't like is from the JLU Hawkman now that paint job is bad from the arms and the rest of his body.

I don't really care if it's off color I was just showing that my is the same. The only one I think I didn't like is from the JLU Hawkman now that paint job is bad from the arms and the rest of his body.

I don't care eitehr since I already have the toy. Just wanted to confirm if it is a toning problem or not for those who are on the fense on buying it

There's always going to be problems with Mattel figures from DC Universe to Masters. People keep saying they have various QC issues from misassembly to mispainted applications. I'm not sure how many figures sets you looked at, but it could be an isolated incident. Otherwise all the owners would be complaining and we'd have a defective product which should be recalled.

And yet the demand for certain defective figures continues to spike and people continue to complain about how they can't buy them. Oh the irony.

Venture's on the money. Different lighting will cause just about any material to look different in pictures. In our costuming group it's a point of amusement that different parts of a costume, the same color under 'normal' conditions, can look very different when photographed.

This just strikes me as another nitpicky thing some people have seized on to bust Mattel's balls.

Venture's on the money. Different lighting will cause just about any material to look different in pictures. In our costuming group it's a point of amusement that different parts of a costume, the same color under 'normal' conditions, can look very different when photographed.

This just strikes me as another nitpicky thing some people have seized on to bust Mattel's balls.

I think it is because the arms are made of pvc whereas the torso is abs. I can be wrong here but the limbs and main body parts are clearly made out of different types of plastic.

I have a faceoff hulk and a coupleofml that has noticable shades of plastic

I think it is because the arms are made of pvc whereas the torso is abs. I can be wrong here but the limbs and main body parts are clearly made out of different types of plastic.

I have a faceoff hulk and a coupleofml that has noticable shades of plastic

that's exactly what it is.

If i may get back on topic for a moment. I have 2 wonder twins 2 packs and both are really nice no paint flaws no stuck joints. firm plastic. The only issue is those damn rubber bands starting to warp the bicep joint on jayna but other thanthat really sweet figures.

And gleek is nice too but would have really expected more articulation

If i may get back on topic for a moment. I have 2 wonder twins 2 packs and both are really nice no paint flaws no stuck joints. firm plastic. The only issue is those damn rubber bands starting to warp the bicep joint on jayna but other thanthat really sweet figures.

And gleek is nice too but would have really expected more articulation

The gleek fig only has three points of articulation?