DCUC - Mattel - SDCC Rundown

Superpowers1980

Ok, as I posted before I am both happy and upset regarding Mattel and the SDCC and I wanted to know how everyone else feels

Mostly I like everything that is coming out, however I do not like the many exclusives AND I do not like the Superman Movie Masters. I think they SMM will fail and we won't see them in 6 inch form which is what I want. What does everyone else think?

Here's my thoughts:

Generally I thought it was a bit light on actual DCUC news. Granted we learned of the 2 packs and the wave 10 BAF (which is a whole other level of meh for me personally...)

I only am collecting DCUC so the other news didn't impact me personally.

I like the obscurity factor....B'Wana Beast, Doom Patrol costume Beast Boy, (even Imperiex though I feel no connection to that character)

The only exclusive that rankles me is the Wal-Mart wave

a) For the reasons everyone has....

B) Because Wal-Mart Canada doesn't even carry them (You've all heard me #$#@# about this before.)

As there are no Targets in Canada, I'm glad DCIH holds no interest for me.

I wish we got more glimpses of prototypes like the Eclipso one.

Last thought.... I love that Kilowog BAF!

I was extremely pleased with everything I saw rolled out at SDCC. Like I've said many times before the problem with DCUC isn't the actual product. The sculpts, the character selection, the diversity, the quantity released in a year--all great!

My problem is Mattel and the management of the lines. Frankly I'm tired of the poor paint applications, the damaged cards, the poor distribution, the stupid walmart exclusives, the stupid marketing decisions like the whole Gleek fiasco or how they horrendously handled the SDCC as far as lines. I'm tired of their statements about having product available each day of the convention only to sell out on Thursday. I dread next Monday when I have to go to Matty to try to get the Twins and He-ro because I just now the server is not going to be able to deal with all the people wanting the slimed Egons, He-ros, twins, CARS, Buzz Light year etc. It can't handle the traffic when people just want a MOTUC figure. They should have staggered the releases with MOTUC on one day DCUC another with the option to ship all at the end of the week once you've made the purchases.

So in essence Mattel deserves no credit. They're idiots that don't deserve the DCUC or MOTUC lines. The credit for DCUC and MOTUC all deserves to go to the 4H who style the figures. Too bad they can't just branch out on their own and attain the MOTUC/DC licenses. Frankly I'm tired of hearing the Mattel internet mouthpieces claim to be fellow collectors yet act so oblivious in how they handle things.

ya i cant beleive they didnt show more dcuc waves.

IMPERIX though? man thats awesome.

i like the obscure characters, but id love to see some rare modern figs made too (i.e. waverider, monarch, red robin, superman villains, mon-el, zoom, etc) i kinda think they cater to the silver age/bronze age.

worried abotu the store exclusives, but we shall see. really like how they got the new superman villians that have never been made in the 6 inch scale.

yes they have many many many issues to deal with. the stand the twins came with shoulda been the exclusive not gleek.

motuc - i went ahead and just signed up fo the club thing next year. to hell with trying to find what i want when it goes live. REALLY hoping i get a stinkor next year.

bottom line - the issues that i know about will make me to make sure i take precautions to get them, but ill still buy it cuz im a dc guy

oh ya, the movie masters - really glad we are getting the rest of series. though i agree and wish they woulda started with a 6 inch line with superman

ghostbusters - wish they coulda got the filmation rights so we can get some villians, meaning at least one 6 inch figure a month

ya know whats really funny? there are scalpors that post on mattys fb page, just flamboyently out there. really pisses me off and shows how outta it they are sometimes. but it seems the secondary market is calming down on ebay. mer-man went for 16 dollars today with 6 dollar shipping.

Even though this line is pretty much over for me, I too was disappointed in what was shown at the con. Only 2 waves of official DCUC and a a couple of 2 packs, and the DCUC/Kiddie line??? Not too impressed. I think had I been, perhaps this line could continue for me!! But no big surprises or reveals, like a classic Dick Grayson Robin or a new Darkseid BAF!! Something to knock our socks off. For me a Wild Dog figure would bring me back in quick!!! :D

Even though this line is pretty much over for me, I too was disappointed in what was shown at the con. Only 2 waves of official DCUC and a a couple of 2 packs, and the DCUC/Kiddie line??? Not too impressed. I think had I been, perhaps this line could continue for me!! But no big surprises or reveals, like a classic Dick Grayson Robin or a new Darkseid BAF!! Something to knock our socks off. For me a Wild Dog figure would bring me back in quick!!! :D

dude im currently making a custom wilddog!!!

From what I saw I was disappointed in the line other then John Steward,Lex,Catwoman and Two Face I have no idea who these others are. I was hoping for like Dick Grayson Robin,Fire,Ice,Plastman,Static.

I thought what we saw was great, Kilowog looks awesome and classic Steppenwolf is a masterpiece. Animal man and B'wanna Beast are just fantastic and will gladly add them to my collection as well as everything else. Imperiex looks awesome though I don't have any special connection. My Walmart Manager said they would order me 10 cases of wave 10 for me. The Joker production figure turned out perfect . The new GL withe the constructs just shows how much mattel is listening. I could go on and on about what was shown.

Curious as to why our "Insider" Bigdawg said that Static was in wave 10, wich didn't come true so the only info BD gave us was what was already floating around for months.

I forgot to say Joker as well as Kilowog. But the others I never hear of or seen before. With Kilowog I just didn't know how to spell his name that was the only reason I didn't put his name on here.

Overall, I am disappointed.

Glad they are making:

Jon Stewart with Green Lantern effects

Joker

Katma Tui (Why? she is dead.)

Manbat (maybe we'll finally get it?)

Power Girl (more for the JSA! YAY!)

Question

Sinestro Corps Henshaw

Sinestro Corps Romat Ru & Karu Sil 2 pack

Walmart 5 pack Batman (finally right?)

Walmart 5 pack SF Luthor (finally right?)

Surprises, I can deal with:

B'wanna Beast

Changling (The Titans are slowly growing)

Deadman

Kilowog (I hope they fix the shoulder colors!)

Steppenwolf (nice, but I am still not interested.)

Pointless to me:

Animal Man (loks good, but I am not interested)

1989 movie Batman

Forager (who asked for this?)

Imperiex (another Apocalyptian C&C I can skip!)

Robotman (again, why?)

Shark (what is that thing? Another SC member would have been nice)

Silver Banshee (I want a figure of her so bad, I'll buy her, but I hate the animated head!!)

Walmart 5 pack Catwoman (I got the black one)

Walmart 5 pack Superman (An excuse for Luthor to be in it?)

Walmart 5 pack Two-Face (I know it is classic colored, but what a waste of space?)

Disappointed they didn't deem worthy:

Cheetah ( she was in the recent Wonder Woman DVD. Prominent enough for that?)

Zoom (what a silly easy repaint with a purpose. )

Tomar Re (they got the parts. Lets see him!)

Red Arrow (Green Arrow body and Robin head?)

Martian Manhunter (Come on lets get on the ball!)

i thought it was a pretty good show. i am probably only going to get the dcuc figures(still considering public enemies) and imo they showed a good variety of characters in the 2 waves and 2-packs. some r on my list of wants and some i never heard of but that is what makes the line interesting. liked the walmart pack as well cause i need luthor for the legion of doom and i never really got into dcsh so i need two-face and catwoman. would have preferred the black catwoman but the purple will do. and it is not surprising they r in there as mattel has said they were going to rerelease some of the harder to find dcsh figures.

one question tho, which steppenwolf is the comics version cause to me the one looks like he ripped off a rejected green arrow costume.

i thought it was a pretty good show. i am probably only going to get the dcuc figures(still considering public enemies) and imo they showed a good variety of characters in the 2 waves and 2-packs. some r on my list of wants and some i never heard of but that is what makes the line interesting. liked the walmart pack as well cause i need luthor for the legion of doom and i never really got into dcsh so i need two-face and catwoman. would have preferred the black catwoman but the purple will do. and it is not surprising they r in there as mattel has said they were going to rerelease some of the harder to find dcsh figures.

one question tho, which steppenwolf is the comics version cause to me the one looks like he ripped off a rejected green arrow costume.

I originally thought the green elfish version was a copy from The Brave And The Bold, but I was corrected and told it is actually his bronze age costume.

The red/black executioner style one is his 1980's Super Powers style outfit.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that they are making Imperiex.

If Mattel ever gets there packaging system right, then they can keep it at 5 or 6 figures a wave, and kill all that WGH crap.

(Don't get me wrong, I am glad that they made it easy to find figs like BB, WW, and Cybog, but can we get all the original waves in 1 case?? Now if they would only do that for the Metallo Wave figs)

I do agree with everyone on this particulare point:

I am tired of Wal-Mart exclusives. We already know how notorius they are for actually (not) showing up in stores.

Why make it harder for Mattel to make money or for collctors to buy some product???

And while I want a Martian Manhunter, I do understand that since Mattel wants this line to go way beyond 20 or so waves, they have to sprinkle the "must have" characters out a bit.

MM, Cheetah, Aztek, Stars & STRIPES, and the such are on many peoples want list, but if they all came out in one or two waves, what holding power would Mattel have for the future? I don't think we all wabnt to see a Superman or a Batman in EVERY wave now do we?

Can't wait for them to bring on more Teen Titans and some LOSH figures.

All in all, the SDCC panel for Mattel was not that bad.

I hate the fact that I love this line. I have all the same complaints on production and distribution I always say I'm going to stop buying them until I see them in stores.

The crappy part of not being able to find them easily is that you never really know who's going to be a peg warmer and who won't be. So for me, I end up buying all of the ones I can find right away so that I don't end up having to trade another good piece away or pay a premium price for them.

I'm excited for what i have seen, I to want a classic Robin, Hush, Vigilante (JLU) Martian, Cheeta, BAF Darkseid or Guy Gardner but the lack of them being in any of the new lines just keeps me curious which is what Mattel wants.

Could anyone tell me who was the hardest figure to find from wave 5, I hear about Atom all the time and he was the only one I ever saw on the pegs and the only one I own. I always here Riddler was the easiest yet I have never seen one in Wal-Mart

Overall I'd give it a B+! A couple fun surprises (sin corps 2 pack, Wal-Mart 5 pack, likes the Public Enemies exclusives!) Got some work to do on character choices still. I just hope the distribution increases.

I also still feel like there is the possibilty of another couple of lines witth the sick Star Power of Wave 3 or 9 (my undeniable favorite lines to date)