mattel mattel MATTEL!?!?!!

arowdygator

To all those saying "of course they'd be gone by saturday, why didnt you get them earlier"...what about those people who stood in line but got turned away due to sell outs for the day. What about those who would've bought yesterday except the mattel booth was closed. I'm just saying its not just a matter of going on the wrong day, it definitely seems Mattel underestimated the demand for some of this stuff.

Two things: I say better luck next year. The only reason I got my non-attendee SSC Luke and Han Stormtrooper set was because somebody cancelled their pre-order. It sold out in less than five minutes. I was online at the site at 12:56 chompin' at the bit. Life ain't fair so get over it.

I also say shut the hell up because some of us aren't even lucky enough to get out there. Be happy you get to enjoy the experience and stop crying because you didn't get your glorified accessory.

why do you even reply on here jerk?

actually they were sold out on fri and wouldnt even give any passes out yet.

ive always liked mattel and gave them the benenfit of the doubt but now i can no longer say "they are trying the best they can".

not to have the exclusives even to last a weekend?!?!? cmon, thats horrendous...

I'm here because we have another clown (in this case you) who thinks the world revolves around what they want.

Now you'll excuse for thinking they sold out on Saturday, considering you started this thread with "Rharrr! It's Saturday and there are no monkey's!" You still haven't answered my question, which is still valid despite which day it sold out:

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? I haven't heard people go crazy over an exclusive like this in a long time. Did you think you could wait until the Con was half over to get one of these? Since you're such an expert tell me one-ONE-five day comic convention where a hot exclusive figure lasted all five days. On Day Four of a five day convention they would probably run out of My Little Pony exclusives.

If it was that near and dear to you you would have found out where the Mattel booth was beforehand and when you arrived on site Wednesday night you would have made a beeline for it. Oh yeah, you also got to go to San Diego Comic Con. Cry me a river.

EDIT: Thanks for also leaving the impression that you went to Comic-Con. Is there anybody here with firsthand knowledge or are we just going to get some more speculation on how "things went"?

um i did tell you what i expected, go back and read.

hey i wasnt at the Vietnam war but i can tell you how that went too. how? cuz of the people that were there that are telling thier stories, jagoff

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really fair to compare how Chicago is run to this. Chicago is nowhere close to the scale of SDCC. It just amazes me how worked up people get over the same thing every year.

Every year scalpers/dealers get their hands on the product. No amount of 'safeguards' is going to stop that. They're professionals; it's how they run their businesses.

They're limited exclusives, not everyone is going to get them. Hence the whole 'limited exclusive' idea. Companies could not bother producing items that won't sell in larger amounts at all. Again, it happens every year and every year the same whining...

As for paying secondary prices, no one forces anyone to pay those. If your hobby is now an addiction where you have to have everything and freak out when you don't get your fix, that’s your own burden to carry. 'And just like any other addiction, if someone can legally exploit it, guess what? They're going to.

I've gone to conventions since I was a kid and my father use to take me. It was never about getting 'exclusives'. It was about seeing new things with in the fandom. The freebies/con only items were bonuses but never the point. Now you have people who just go to the convention for the exclusives. Insane, spending money to spend money...

Just makes me sad that so many people get angry over toys, it's not what the hobby or any hobby should be about.

Excellent post.

They're limited exclusives, not everyone is going to get them. Hence the whole 'limited exclusive' idea. Companies could not bother producing items that won't sell in larger amounts at all. Again, it happens every year and every year the same whining...

Alas, many of these exclusives reappear in other forms down the line.

Case in point: Manbat.

Mattel declared the character was going to be an exclusive to a convention, was going to be sold in special packaging, and was NOT GOING TO BE RE-OFFERED IN THAT FORM AGAIN.

Fanboys went screamin' nuts, figuring they'd lost out forever.

Oh ye of little faith.

Mattel wasn't going to spend that much money making tooling of that kind for such a limited run figure. That's simple common sense.

Sure enough, it was announced not that long ago that Manbat would be re-issued in a brown form ( naturally) in the main DCUC line. No incredible powers of future-sight were needed to see that one coming.

So, in the end......it begs the question.........just WHY do the fanboys get all up in arms like babes denied their soothers? None of the answers that people have come up with are very flattering....

Not really fair to compare how Chicago is run to this. Chicago is nowhere close to the scale of SDCC. It just amazes me how worked up people get over the same thing every year.

Every year scalpers/dealers get their hands on the product. No amount of 'safeguards' is going to stop that. They're professionals; it's how they run their businesses.

As for paying secondary prices, no one forces anyone to pay those. If your hobby is now an addiction where you have to have everything and freak out when you don't get your fix, that’s your own burden to carry. 'And just like any other addiction, if someone can legally exploit it, guess what? They're going to.

I've gone to conventions since I was a kid and my father use to take me. It was never about getting 'exclusives'. It was about seeing new things with in the fandom. The freebies/con only items were bonuses but never the point. Now you have people who just go to the convention for the exclusives. Insane, spending money to spend money...

Just makes me sad that so many people get angry over toys, it's not what the hobby or any hobby should be about.

Excellent post.

ok so what should the hobby be about? seeing the item on a powerpoint screen and never getting one?

scalpers are scalpers. i dont go to them cuz if there is someting i truly want, i take the precautions to get it. but ive been a big fan and supporter of Mattel till now. they need to fix thier problems.

To all those saying "of course they'd be gone by saturday, why didnt you get them earlier"...what about those people who stood in line but got turned away due to sell outs for the day. What about those who would've bought yesterday except the mattel booth was closed. I'm just saying its not just a matter of going on the wrong day, it definitely seems Mattel underestimated the demand for some of this stuff.

Two things: I say better luck next year. The only reason I got my non-attendee SSC Luke and Han Stormtrooper set was because somebody cancelled their pre-order. It sold out in less than five minutes. I was online at the site at 12:56 chompin' at the bit. Life ain't fair so get over it.

I also say shut the hell up because some of us aren't even lucky enough to get out there. Be happy you get to enjoy the experience and stop crying because you didn't get your glorified accessory.

ive always liked mattel and gave them the benenfit of the doubt but now i can no longer say "they are trying the best they can".

not to have the exclusives even to last a weekend?!?!? cmon, thats horrendous...

I'm here because we have another clown (in this case you) who thinks the world revolves around what they want.

Now you'll excuse for thinking they sold out on Saturday, considering you started this thread with "Rharrr! It's Saturday and there are no monkey's!" You still haven't answered my question, which is still valid despite which day it sold out:

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? I haven't heard people go crazy over an exclusive like this in a long time. Did you think you could wait until the Con was half over to get one of these? Since you're such an expert tell me one-ONE-five day comic convention where a hot exclusive figure lasted all five days. On Day Four of a five day convention they would probably run out of My Little Pony exclusives.

If it was that near and dear to you you would have found out where the Mattel booth was beforehand and when you arrived on site Wednesday night you would have made a beeline for it. Oh yeah, you also got to go to San Diego Comic Con. Cry me a river.

EDIT: Thanks for also leaving the impression that you went to Comic-Con. Is there anybody here with firsthand knowledge or are we just going to get some more speculation on how "things went"?

um i did tell you what i expected, go back and read.

hey i wasnt at the Vietnam war but i can tell you how that went too. how? cuz of the people that were there that are telling thier stories, jagoff

What's a jagoff? You don't have the balls to call me a real name?

Prove it. Provide a link to where you "heard" this. When you started this topic you led everyone to believe that you were at SDCC and you went in Saturday and they were sold out. Since then we learned that you weren't at SDCC and your "hearing" things about what's going on. Since you're a liar and started faux outrage maybe you should just give it up.

ok so what should the hobby be about? seeing the item on a powerpoint screen and never getting one?

scalpers are scalpers. i dont go to them cuz if there is someting i truly want, i take the precautions to get it. but ive been a big fan and supporter of Mattel till now. they need to fix thier problems.

This isn't a surprise really, but you haven't discussed what problems they have. Distribution? It seems to be an isolated problem in only a few areas of the country. Exclusives? Never gonna change pal. They were here yesterday, they're here today, they'll be here tomorrow. QC? People get screwed, they return it, get another one that works. Character selection? Outside of Hasbro Star Wars I have not seen a better diversity of characters.

I guess with all the trolls getting thrown out someone had to fill the void.

Mattel declared the character was going to be an exclusive to a convention, was going to be sold in special packaging, and was NOT GOING TO BE RE-OFFERED IN THAT FORM AGAIN.

Fanboys went screamin' nuts, figuring they'd lost out forever.

So, in the end......it begs the question.........just WHY do the fanboys get all up in arms like babes denied their soothers? None of the answers that people have come up with are very flattering....

Actually I don't recall them stating the mold wouldn't be used again, actually the opposite. Many sites kept asking when it would appear again since they stated that it would.

As for why fan boys are like this, growing idea of 'entitlement' that most people seem to be growing in society? Heck one could even point the obsession with 'toys' as reason enough people in the hobby act childish. 'but like you said, none of them are flattering and I just like to think that just like life you have a wide range of people and normally the negative are the loudest of the lot.

Actually I don't recall them stating the mold wouldn't be used again, actually the opposite. Many sites kept asking when it would appear again since they stated that it would.

I didn't say the mold wouldn't be used again, I said the form would not be seen again--which ( at the time) meant we'd not see the white version of Manbat re-issued again. I was being deliberately vague for the sake of a point there. ;)

As for why fan boys are like this, growing idea of 'entitlement' that most people seem to be growing in society? Heck one could even point the obsession with 'toys' as reason enough people in the hobby act childish. 'but like you said, none of them are flattering and I just like to think that just like life you have a wide range of people and normally the negative are the loudest of the lot.

And you know what's funnier? All their whining is for naught.

If you really want something, it'll come to you.

I've been collecting for over 25 years now and its been true for me all the way down the line. People don't believe me when I talk about that, as if its some nigh-unattainable zen-thing. Heck, just a month ago, I got one of my recent "grail" items--and it literally just came to me. All I did was make my wants known, make sure they stayed known......paid attention to things around me, and was nice to the people around me. And one of those people sent me the figure I had been looking for.

This has happened dozens of times over the past 25 years , and its why I simply do not fret about things like this. They simply are not worth fretting over, and life seems to find a way of getting them to me when I really want them.

And those fanboys........they do nothing but whine, which is part of why they miss out.

So true Arrow. My dad collected, I learned from him. You help others out, you make sure people know what you're looking for, and eventually you'll get what you want for what you want to pay. 'but just like anything, not everyone is levelheaded all the time. People just got to remember when something that's suppose to make you happy isn't? Walk away and come back when you're not so heated.

Ok defend Mattel. That's your right.

So your calling me a troll? Why? Cuz I have a vejw differnt from you that I voiced?

I'm ok not getting the monkey but what of the others? If you support a company don't you hope they in turn listen to you? Obviously guys on the he man boards would be more understanding.

this from mattycollector.com

We're going to have plenty of gotta-get products available for sale, including (click each for all the scoop):

Disney/Pixar CARS Toon Rescue Squad Mater

3-3/4" scale Buzz Lightyear figure

DC Universe Infinite Heroes Anti-Monitor figure

Justice League Unlimited Green Lantern Origins 3-pack

DC Universe Classics Wonder Twins 2 pack

Masters of the Universe Classics He-Ro figure

Ghostbusters™ Classics Dr. Egon Spengler™ with Slimer

selling out by fri nite? dont think they kept thier word do you?

OK - I've read everyone's post, and what seems to be the root of the 'problem' is really Logistics. Some good points were made about product transportation, dock availability, and no leftover product. I can tell you (because it's what I do) that these are major concerns of every company that has product to sell. They (Mattel) are not out to screw us (the collectors) - they just have to operate within realistic guidelines set both by them and for them. A truck can only carry so much product. At an event like this, you have a set (and BRIEF) time alloted for unloading/dock space. Also at the event, you have very limited storage use, and little to no opportunity to restock.

Something not mentioned was the quantity produced. Companies like Mattel have things produced in lots. Set amounts. For example, say they get their items in lots of 1000. They have to guess that they will sell all (or 90% at least) of said lot in order to place their order for production. Now say there are 1500 people who want that item. That would mean the company would have to order 2 lots, and would end up with 500 leftovers. Any company will err on the side of shortage rather than have leftover product to deal with. It's simple logistics.

And as Arrow said, the good thing is while they sold out, they still have the molds and whatnot, so it's a fair bet that they will use it again in the future. And as I'm sure they are well aware of our desire for said item, and well aware of how fast they went, I'd be willing to bet we'll see that sooner rather than later. Maybe at NYCC or 2010 Toy Fair. Just like Man-bat.

But the Man-Bat we are getting in wave 10 may be the same mold but it isn't the same figure. I know some are content with getting a variant in lieu of the original. I'm not one of these people. I don't want a redeco of Gleek. To me variants aren't the same figure.

I just think Mattel just badly handled the whole thing. They had plenty of time from when news of the backlash from Gleek hit months ago to respond in a positive way but instead they proceeded full steam ahead despite the complaints. If they needed a Con exclusive why not do what they did with He-Ro and produce a Gleek with a SDCC logo on his chest instead of his stylized "G". Then sell the regular Gleek with the Twins on Matty.

Frankly this just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. Money is tight. I work hard to have the necessary money to purchase all the MOTUC figures and DCUC figures. which isn't an easy task when they release them in a barrage in a weak economy. And if not finding the figures isn't a chore they are plagued with paint problems. So I have to buy one thinking I might not see it again and cross my fingers if I do. Then I have to go to the hassel of returning them.

I don't understand why they want to irritate the adult fanbase you need in order to sustain your two most successful lines. And unlike He-Ro the Twins are over priced at $40.

They don't want to 'irritate the adult fanbase' - that's just silly! It just so happens that the majority of the complaints we are hearing come from a small portion of the community. One that is largely ego-centric and not as open-minded as others. We're essentially just hearing the 'squeaky wheel', as it were. I'd be willing to say the vast majority of 'adult' collectors are just fine with things as they are. But you never hear that side, just like you never compliment a cook for a great meal served at a restaurant, or a bank teller for a speedy transaction at the bank. Mattel's not stupid. They know what's going on and see the bigger picture.

Now, I didn't go to the show, so I won't be getting a Gleek, or rainbow GL, or whatever. I'm fine with that. And if it happens that I forget the date, or they sell out of the Wonder Twins sans the acursed simian after the show, then that's that. Will I be a little sad? Sure. But that's how life works. (and I SO want to touch their rings together to hear the pre-recorded catchphrase, too! :) )

I'll just say they've irritated me. I waited 30 years for a Wonder Twins w/ Gleek set and to have it be such a hassel is ridiculous. I had someone going today who was going to get a set for me and they had already sold out.

Well anyone who picked up a Gleek set and isn't all that attached to them as I am shoot me a PM I've got a couple of things I'd be willing to trade for them that I'm not nearly as attached to. :D

Hey if being a squeaky wheel means Matty changes some things that better all of the hobby community I'll gladly be that guy.

Mattel is a for profit company. What I'm saying will help them and not the secondary market.

On the GL front though, I think that is gonna be a wide release REAL soon

This is a funny fight. Why come to an obviously anti-Matty forum and complain about the complaining? Don't get me wrong, I am against the BS Mattel did, but why not start a thread about how great it would be to go to the con instead of just bashing people who have a fair reason to be mad?

Every time somebody doesn't get something they want they say the manufacturer underestimated the demand. How many people attended? How many people are DCUC fans? How many people know that some moron will dip into their child's college fund to buy Gleek on eBay?

Tell me, anyone, since your all clearly experts on the subject: What should Mattel do? They make to little of a figure and you cry because you can't find it. So they make more and you get Barda and Cold stinking up the pegs. So now you can't get Hawkgirl and Mr. Terrific and you go back to crying.

I really wish you would leave the boards altogether, you are the most annoying poster ever, everything is negative, contrary and annoying, you really think your ahead of the game when actually you are bnhind the game and you reasoning is collectively stupid.

First off, you give product to the people who support you, no Gleek on Mattycollector and not having enough for people who actually went to the damn Con is stupid.

this from mattycollector.com

We're going to have plenty of gotta-get products available for sale, including (click each for all the scoop):

Disney/Pixar CARS Toon Rescue Squad Mater

3-3/4" scale Buzz Lightyear figure

DC Universe Infinite Heroes Anti-Monitor figure

Justice League Unlimited Green Lantern Origins 3-pack

DC Universe Classics Wonder Twins 2 pack

Masters of the Universe Classics He-Ro figure

Ghostbusters™ Classics Dr. Egon Spengler™ with Slimer

selling out by fri nite? dont think they kept thier word do you?

they are certain factors in play scalpers, people buying for others, and people who just want more than one to keep thats how it works,

First off, you give product to the people who support you, no Gleek on Mattycollector and not having enough for people who actually went to the damn Con is stupid.

But Mattel did do that.

The people that support Mattel went to SDCC and bought out all the stock they had there.

See, I know where you are going with this, and I know what you are thinking.

You are thinking that its all not fair, right?

That some folks got the stuff and some folks didn't, that some folks bought stuff to resell--and that you had to go to SDCC to get the stuff in the first place.

Hey, welcome to membership in the "Unwarranted Entitlement" club ( the membership body does nothing but #$#@# and complain, but hey.......you're all entitled to it).

The only reason its not fair is because you didn't get any of it, right?

You did not put up the money to travel to San Diego, stay in a hotel, pay admittance to the con, and wait in line for the items, among other things.

Its just not fair.

Hey, I dunno about you, but those people saying its just not fair sound more like they are either lazy or simply not committed enough to getting the stuff. They just want it to come onto Matty so they can order the stuff from home, and not have to bother with expensive commitments such as trips.

I guess the idea of Mattel rewarding fans that take such effort, spend all that time and money is just plain wrong.

I mean..........its like people that are willing to flash some cash, take some time and go the distance that are taking stuff that you should be entitled to.

( my Tongue of Irony is now boring a hole in my cheek)

Ooooh that is so not fair.

What a sucky life.

But Mattel did do that.

The people that support Mattel went to SDCC and bought out all the stock they had there.

See, I know where you are going with this, and I know what you are thinking.

You are thinking that its all not fair, right?

That some folks got the stuff and some folks didn't, that some folks bought stuff to resell--and that you had to go to SDCC to get the stuff in the first place.

Hey, welcome to membership in the "Unwarranted Entitlement" club ( the membership body does nothing but #$#@# and complain, but hey.......you're all entitled to it).

The only reason its not fair is because you didn't get any of it, right?

You did not put up the money to travel to San Diego, stay in a hotel, pay admittance to the con, and wait in line for the items, among other things.

Its just not fair.

Hey, I dunno about you, but those people saying its just not fair sound more like they are either lazy or simply not committed enough to getting the stuff. They just want it to come onto Matty so they can order the stuff from home, and not have to bother with expensive commitments such as trips.

I guess the idea of Mattel rewarding fans that take such effort, spend all that time and money is just plain wrong.

I mean..........its like people that are willing to flash some cash, take some time and go the distance are taking stuff that you should be entitled to.

( my Tongue of Irony is now boring a hole in my cheek)

Ooooh that is so not fair.

What a sucky life.

ARROW, just shut up man. your not even getting the basest of the arguement. i support mattel in the fact that i buy LOTS of thier product.

entitlement? ya, im a supporter of theirs by being a loyal customer. if they say soemthing like, " we will have PLENTY of product", which they did as i posted earlier, i expect that to mean not outta day 2?

ive defended mattel for far to long as to them to keep having these hiccups?

and no, THEY DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH FOR PEOPLE AT THE CON like you say.