Good finds

JayBee

Have you guys ever found a GI Joe at a garage sale or fleet market or somewhere else for little a nothin' even though you woulda paid more for it. Well I have. I was out of town with a relative and we walked into a store that sold collectibles. The owner had stuff from WWI! Well anyway he asked me what I was interested in and I told him GI Joe. His responce was that he did not have any, but showed me some old Star Wars toys. I asked him if he had any more figures and he had around 15 more that he hasn't looked up what or who they were. Well I told him he had some GI Joe figures among them and I asked him how much he wanted for them. He was reluctant to look up the info on the internet because me being a kid he was just making sure I didn't jack any of his crud but when I told him what their names were and even the years off the top of my had he relized I was a serious customer. He then took the time to look them up. So all in all I got a '82 Grunt w/helmet (5$), '86 Quick Kick (broken O-ring 1$), and '85 Barbaque (4$)for a grand total of 10 dollars with 70 cents for tax! And over the last couple of months I have found '92 Cutter , '88 Lifeline, '84 Roadblock w/ helmet + '83 Ghung Ho weapon, and '88 Toxo Viper each for a quarter (total of 1$!) and 19 original comics in great condition for .50 to a 1$ each at a local fleet market. Has any one else found great deals like that?

About a year ago I popped into an antique mall about twenty minutes north of my hometown. While wandering around looking at old pop bottles, books and betty boop crap with my wife I saw a deal. It was not as classic as what the OP found, but every bit as rare. It was a MOC 1997 15th anniversary Viper with Trouble bubble. It was just hanging on a random hook in a booth filled with quilts and other garbage; clearly the seller had no idea what he/she had. But it was a consignment store so the attendant didn't care, she just sold according to prices marked. The card was dusty, but flawless otherwise despite the less than quality construct of the packaging. The only defect was a price tag on it for $6!!! Hardly a defect, right?

The crazy part is, back in 97 I was 19 and didn't make a lot of money so I was buying these things one at a time every two weeks as my paychecks came. These didn't last long on the shelves as GIJOE the ARAH hadn't been available in years. I got everything but Duke and the silver mirage and, of course, Viper and bubble. I have since gotten the Duke MOC, but it was more than $6.

That is a sweet find! Do you ever go back to see if you'll get lucky again?

I've talked about it before, but I found a really good deal on ebay once (back on 7-4-05). I was checking the g.i. joe comics (as buy it now) and found around 19 issues of Marvel Joe. With mostly the late issue numbers (pretty much all of them and the final 155 issue).

But also, the rare g.i. joe special #1.

The buy it now price was 7.99.

When all was said and done, I think I got fast shipping and insurance and paid less than 13 bucks. The funny thing is, the condition on these issues was at least very fine (special #1 was like pristine and probably a high grade condition).

This is probably the best deal I can recall. Haven't had much luck with flea markets (there's not much in San Fran here).

The rare GI Joe Special #1... do you mean the Special Missions #1, because that happens to be one of the comics I got for only a dollar.

one time I went to a comic shop and they had recently bought somebody's collection or traded for them or whatever.

each figure was in mint/near mint condition with all their gear in a plastic bubble case... for 2.50!

The bad part was I got there the same time as a scalper with his own store. I nabbed like 20 figures or something that I didn't have for 2.50 each... and these were all from 83-87

Nice find CLAM. Did you find the scalper and bash his knee caps in? :D

Nice find CLAM. Did you find the scalper and bash his knee caps in? :D

I kinda knew him, and I knew he had a store.. but at the time I didn't know he was a scalper like that.

We both kinda just grabbed them all up and bought them.. He got way more than me though.

Anyhow, He told me to come to his store and he would hook me up with the extras after he figured out what he did or didn't need.

But when I went to his store he was trying to sell me for 10-15 each, which was marked down from his normal price of 20-25 each!

That is a sweet find! Do you ever go back to see if you'll get lucky again?

I go back from time to time, but I haven't seen anything GIJOE at all since. Unfortunately the Saint Joseph area isn't much of a Joe hotspot.

For that price I would have to really want them.

Probably the best Joe finds and deals I've ever found were in Daytona Florida; My family and I go on vacation there every year, and one year I found a guy with this small toy/game store, and it turned out it was run by some of the guys at smalljoes.com. I couldn't believe it. And they had quite a few great figures and vehicles. I found a Battle Corps Roadblock, Chinese Dial-Tone, both MOC, and a B.A.T.s internet exclusive 5-pack, and a Real American Hero Collection H.I.S.S. MISB, all for around $60.00. I was thrilled. They had much more that I couldn't afford, but at the time it was a really nice and unexpected suprise, to find a little out-of-the-way store like that that had so much great Joe stuff. I remember they had a Chinese Lifeline and Major Bludd, and they had a bunch of MOC figures from the '88 through '93 waves. I remember going back a year later and it was all gone unfortunately...

at a garage sale waaaay back in 96 i found the flagg,terror drome,tomahawk,night raven,bugg and 5 or 6 other vehicles i cant remember the names of right now. also about 30 figures from 85-87 all of it complete!!!!got it all for a grand total of 150 bucks! talked him down from 200! best deal i ever got.

TM

That sucks Devil Bat. Did you have the cash when you went back?

Hey Toilet Monkey you silppery b@$+*R*, what did you do with the other 50 bucks?

That sucks Devil Bat. Did you have the cash when you went back?

Hey Toilet Monkey you silppery b@$+*R*, what did you do with the other 50 bucks?

Beer to celebrate my awsome find....what else?

@loll@

about 70% of my collection has come this way. one time i got 80+ figures (most complete and with tight joints yrs 85-90) and about 10 vehicles/laystes for $200 at a garage sale. i bought everything the lady had.

probably the all-time steal deal was a 90% complete u.s.s. flagg for $25 at an auction. i was able to finish it with parts form ebay for a grand total of around $100.

it is so much fun to get a deal like that. it makes my heart race!

Tommorow I'm going back to the collecting store and a flee market so hopefully I'll find something.