WATCHMEN!!!!

ChopperMonsterPoint

Im waiting for the one that comes out in november.

What comes out in november? I picked up the directors cut today. But i don't know what your talking about in nov.

I think the version that comes out in November has The Black Freighter integrated into the movie.

I really think Watchmen was undone by the comic community. I really don't know what else they could of done to improve the movie. I knew just about everything that would happen and I was still pleased to see the flawless execution of translation from comic to the big screen. I wonder how these people enjoyed the ultra terrible Wolverine origins movie that came out this year, that was awful. I watch the ending of Watchmen last night and it was still awesome, I enjoyed it and think it will be better appreciated in the years to come, surprisingly it was too smart and over the head of many of the fanboys out there.

Also I found myself explaining the movie to many non comic readers who were expecting huge out-and-out battle scenes. The movie was entirely too smart for those expecting a simple Superman or Spiderman movie. I can watch it again and again, it died from word of mouth because many casual fans didn't understand it which is a shame because it was brillant.

QUESTION for all waiting for the pirate portion, what did it mean for the comic and what does it mean for the movie

Also I found myself explaining the movie to many non comic readers who were expecting huge out-and-out battle scenes. The movie was entirely too smart for those expecting a simple Superman or Spiderman movie. I can watch it again and again, it died from word of mouth because many casual fans didn't understand it which is a shame because it was brillant.

Well, this is the reason why Moor has so long been dead set against the story being made into a movie: he knew its just not that accessible to the mass audience.

Look, Shakespeare is "brilliant" too but his work isn't exactly known for being a big blockbuster draw either.

The Watchmen was simply too morbid, and a bit too esoteric for audiences expecting another Iron Man, or Spiderman movie. Brilliance aside, the lowest common denominator simply does not care save for its own wants.

Well, this is the reason why Moor has so long been dead set against the story being made into a movie: he knew its just not that accessible to the mass audience.

Look, Shakespeare is "brilliant" too but his work isn't exactly known for being a big blockbuster draw either.

The Watchmen was simply too morbid, and a bit too esoteric for audiences expecting another Iron Man, or Spiderman movie. Brilliance aside, the lowest common denominator simply does not care save for its own wants.

Translation: People are too stupid to understand it.

I really think Watchmen was undone by the comic community. I really don't know what else they could of done to improve the movie. I knew just about everything that would happen and I was still pleased to see the flawless execution of translation from comic to the big screen. I wonder how these people enjoyed the ultra terrible Wolverine origins movie that came out this year, that was awful. I watch the ending of Watchmen last night and it was still awesome, I enjoyed it and think it will be better appreciated in the years to come, surprisingly it was too smart and over the head of many of the fanboys out there.

QUESTION for all waiting for the pirate portion, what did it mean for the comic and what does it mean for the movie

The Wolverine Origins movie rocked!! Maybe the movie theater you saw it at mixed up the reel with Beverly Hills Chiuahua.

Too stupid to understand? Titus Andronicus is pretty damned morbid and esoteric and happened to be one of the most popular of Shakespeare's works in its time...and it is rarely performed today compared to the other works.

My problem is I loved the story; I put off reading it for some twenty-odd years, and when I did, it was great, but...I couldn't get past the atrocious language. Maybe I just had a problem with how many times they said "G.D.". So I stayed away from the movie as a result. But I've been tempted to rent it just to see if the language in the movie is as bad as the book. Is it? It's unfortunate if so because I really wanted to see it...

And superpowers1986, I think the pirate stuff was inspired by some of the old pirate/horror comics of the late '40s and '50s if I remember correctly. For one, one of the minor characters was reading one throughout the entire story, and every now and then it would be like you were reading it too, and I think it paralleled some of the stuff going on in the greater story. It's part of the brilliance of the whole thing. Watchmen just a multi-layered, well-written story...except for some of the language. (lol)

lol yeah a friend of mine said he rented it when it was released, he hasn't seen it yet but he said his sisters saw it and didn't get it, he said he was going to watch it yesterday and i hope he'll like :/

oh and what did you guys think of the hollis mason death scene, man that almost had me in tears, it was very well done and very emotional, bravo to the makers of this movie

That scene (and among others) was done very well. This movie really gave me a ride. Being a comic geek my whole life, I loved seeing one of the best graphic novels of all time taken so seriously. This movie REALLY tried to capture the essence of a forgotten realm. I really like how the director (Zack Snyder) purposely left it open for a sequel. ;)

my only complain is: the one who played the silk spector2, she did'nt do justice to the charecter and ther's somthing really annoying in her face, can't put my finger on it but it really freak me out, other then that great movie, great cast, great soundtrack and a great director.

I love the movie. The opening sequence to Bob Dylan was amazing, I loved the slowed down photographs being taken, and how the minutemen and watchmen have been at many of historys turning points. The death of the original Night Owl was a lot darker than I thought it would be, I loved the flash backs as he was fighting, it was really touching. Also love the Comedian fight scene with "the murderer", very well done. Good musical score as well, a friend of mine who isn't really into the whole super hero thing watched it and loved it. He even asked if they had action figures he could buy!

Great movie, good job Zack, from the cast, to the editing, it was very faithful and I doubt we could have gotten a better representation of this amazing story.

• 2 years later...

Okay...I didn't realize I was almost three years behind in seeing this movie (lol), but I finally found the DVD for three bucks at Big Lots, and I thought I'd actually sit down and watch it. Like I had mentioned before, I had my reservations about seeing it because of the graphic nature and dark content of the source material, and I didn't realize how long it was (I was up until three in the morning watching it!!), but I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It had been awhile since I had read the graphic novel, so I was suprised that I remembered most of it enough to know the film was pretty faithful to the book. My thoughts:

I loved the Nite Owl character. I'm a pretty conservative kinda guy myself, so I guess I related to him the most. He's like light-bread Batman, or what Batman would be like if he were Steve Rogers instead of Bruce Wayne. (lol) There was just a warm, goodie two-shoes, approachable everyman quality I liked about the character, and he balanced the darkness and cynicism of the film very well. I guess he was somewhat of the moral center of the movie, and I liked him quite alot. He seemed to embody the nostalgia of the era for me also, in some weird way. Speaking of which...

I so loved the gritty, 1980s feel and tone of the film. I guess I've been into the whole retro '80s thing lately, so this movie really feeds that notion. I found myself being consciencious of what it was like to actually be back in 1985, and paying attention to whether or not the film captured the look and feel of that era well, and indeed it did, at least in my perception. I guess I'm fascinated by any movie that takes me back to a cherished time and place in my past, although the version the film portrays is much darker and perhaps more unstable than what I remember. (lol) I applaud the film-makers for trying to emulate an alternate 1980s reality. I guess that didn't seem so revisionist back when it was actually 1985/1986 (lol), but looking back it was visionary now that the '80s are considered "classic". It's just a fun, alternate, restrospective film that would have been way more relevant back in the late '80s or even early '90s. Perhaps they felt that the film would be riding the current wave of nostalgia for all thigs '80s. It certainly works for me...

Loved Rorschach. Jackie Earle Haley nailed him perfectly, although I don't remember Rorschach being so diminutive in the book. To me it makes the character all the more interesting and so very unique. He's probably one of the most wonderfully original vigilantes in comic book history. He's just not afraid of anything or anybody, and he has zero superpowers. A dark, jaded, and sad product of his own harsh life, but he chose to do what he thought was right anyway in his own ugly, scrappy yet ultimately noble way. He's the poor man's Batman, and he's awesome.

The Comedian...now guys, I never use bad language, but I can only think of one word to describe him: b*****d. (lol) I mean, the guy's so fascinating because to me he's so unrelatable. There weren't very many redeeming qualities if any at all about the character. He was like Han Solo-meets-The Punisher-meets Wolverine's Logan, but much darker and edgier...and unlikeable. (lol) I think that's what made him so much fun to watch. The bar scene in Vietnam was a little harsh, but it illustrated the character completely...vain, cocky, unapologetic, ruthless, violent, and completely wrapped-up in his ego and self-importance. There were hints that he mellowed a bit as he got older, and the semi-moral at the end between Silk Spectre and her mother was truly sweet. It served as a resonating message, if ever there could be anything good come from tragedy and adversity. It was a touching line or two that truly gave some glimmer of humanity and hope in an otherwise dark and brooding film.

(SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK OR SEEN THE FILM!!!) Ozymandias was simply awesome because in his own twisted, warped reality, he was the savior of humanity, the ultimate hero. His incredible intellect allowed him to manipulate everyone into playing right along with his plan. He kinda reminded me of a much younger, more agile Palpatine; as maligned as he was he was convinced he was right and justified in what he was doing. He was the ultimate villain, and fascinating because of his justifications and machinations. In other words, his villainy was brilliant and disturbing all at the same time.

Dr. Manhattan is the superhero Spock dreams of being. (lol) Trying to wrap my mind around how the man thinks and and simply exists was alot of fun. It speaks well of Alan Moore's creativity to see such an intriguing, complex character like Dr. Manhattan fully realized in today's special effects.

And finally, Silk Spectre was an awesome character in her own right. She never became the token, stereotypical "female superhero" one might expect her to be, which I don't remember her being written that way anyway. She carried herself quite well in all of the fight scenes.

The only issue I have with this film is the exaggerated violence and dialogue; at times it didn't seem to translate well, and perhaps that was part of Alan Moore's reasoning when resisting a live-action adaptation. It just seemed a little gratuitous or contrived at times. But then I have to remind myself, although it borderlines on high-art, since the source material is a comic masterpiece...at the end of the day, it's still just a comic book movie, and I think Zack Snyder understood that.

All in all, Watchmen was a brilliant adaptation of a brilliant graphic novel. I can understand how Mr. Moore might feel that it was never intended to be movie material; there are times throughout the film I could see why, but it sure was fun to watch it perfectly portrayed in a live-action film anyway. Thought-provoking, action-packed, mesmerizing...it's the total package. Very gratifying for the movie-going comic-book geek in me.