Sign in to follow this  
Newton

GI Joe ROC: Heavy Duty Review

Thanks for the link. i enjoyed the review, but as I've said in other thread i Just don't think i can buy this figure. I prefer Roadblock,a nd as good as this figure is, i just don't want to support him being replaced.

I have never looked at Heavy Duty as a replacement for Roadblock, just as I never saw Roadblock as a replacement for Rock n Roll or Footloose as a replacement for Grunt. Nor Dial-Tone as a replacement for Breaker. A military unit with just one member with a particular specialty such as Machine Gunner would not be a very good unit. As far as I am concerned, Dial-Tone and Breaker both work together, just like Doc, Lifeline, and Streatcher.

I liked the review and do plan to grab Heavy Duty when I can. I don't plan to get all the movie figures, only those who can be displayed alongside the other 25th anniversary figures and still look like individual characters. So basicly anyone who does not currently have a 25th anniversary figure (Sgt Stone, Heavy Duty, Agent Helix, Cover Girl) and those who look different enough from their regular figures to pass for different characters (Ripcord).

I have never looked at Heavy Duty as a replacement for Roadblock, just as I never saw Roadblock as a replacement for Rock n Roll or Footloose as a replacement for Grunt. Nor Dial-Tone as a replacement for Breaker. A military unit with just one member with a particular specialty such as Machine Gunner would not be a very good unit. As far as I am concerned, Dial-Tone and Breaker both work together, just like Doc, Lifeline, and Streatcher.

I liked the review and do plan to grab Heavy Duty when I can. I don't plan to get all the movie figures, only those who can be displayed alongside the other 25th anniversary figures and still look like individual characters. So basicly anyone who does not currently have a 25th anniversary figure (Sgt Stone, Heavy Duty, Agent Helix, Cover Girl) and those who look different enough from their regular figures to pass for different characters (Ripcord).

Well Footloose, Grunt, Dial-Tone and Breaker, etc. Were distinctly different characters. The comic version of Heavy Duty was different...I think....from Roadblock, mostly because the two characters could exist together.

But the more recent developments with the Heavy Duty character has seen him appear to replace Roadblock. Acting like him, for example, Roadblock being a gourmet chef (hell his secondary MOS was "Cook") while the original Heavy Duty was into classical music and guitar.

The best example is this:

heavyduty7.jpg

In Spytroops he is even noted as being Roadblock's cousin and sharing his love for cooking (rather than classical music) and speaking in rhyme...Just like Roadblock.

This guys accessories are so redonk it's not even funny. That mini guy missle launcher is crazy huge! Get the Reactive Armor version of HD before you get this one. It has a separate missile launcher, so the mini-gun is 'normal' sized. I did think it was a nice touch that the backpack for 'civilian HD' had straps with a working buckle, but on top of the vest that is a separate piece from the chest, it's crazy thick. He has a hard time holding anything with his arms. I did like his phaser pistol, though. Get him this week from TRU 2 for $9.99 if you must (I did).

How did Hasbro regress in missle launching technology - specifically, the ability to make them small. The ones from the 90's were almost normal looking. They have taken a step backwards with these RoC monstrosities. There is absolutely no need in them being this huge.

I don't even think the powers that be know if they want Roadblock or Heavy Duty from one moment to the next. Look at the newest comic series. It's Heavy Duty again but he's drawn as v2 Roadblock!(?)

This constant flip flop between the two will probably always be a mystery.

Anyway, I have both Heavy Duties and while I am NOT a fan of the RB/HD switch, they are both pretty awesome. Only, don't even TRY to pose your camo HD with that big, ridiculous hunk of crap he comes with.

Well the good thing is that it doesn't REALLY matter.

There are so many versions of each character, only one of them, really, can be Duke or Destro. So who are all the others?

I don't care for the reactive armor version. Firstly, it's not big enough. Second, he's in a stupid spaceman armor.

So camo HD for me.