ROC movie tests better then ROTF

Ccav

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that holds me up from liking more of what I see out of this version of G.I.Joe, is that it's left out most all of the eccentric characters that made ARAH G.I.Joe era so cool....for me anyway.

I'm 47 and I grew up playing with 12" G.I.Joe's and when they decided it was politically incorrect for me to do that, they changed them to ADVENTURE TEAM, tiger and Gorilla hunters, which was okay I guess, but then they came out with the little guys, and tossed EVERYTHING I ever loved from my youth, be it my old Soldiers, my little Green army men, my comic books like Sgt. Rock and all his flamboyant individualized characters of Easy Company, or Sgt Fury and his HOWLING Commando's, Combat Kelly and his Deadly Dozen, Major Storm and The Losers, The Unknown Soldier, Weird War Tales, G.I. Combat and the Haunted Tank, Sgt. Hunter and his HELLCATS, Captain America vs. Red Skull, Bruce Lee, Kung Fu, movies like Kelly's Hero's, the Dirty Dozen, Battle of the Bulge, The Green Berets and then STAR WARS...

and then along came ARAH, and they had it ALL! Sailors, Cowboys, Indians, Commando's, Ninja's, Pirates, Bikers, Robots, Mad Scientists, Twins, Storm Troopers, A Chrome dome version of Darth Vader, a lunatic like Red Skull as a leader and all dumped into the big giant endless mix of greatest! WWII looking tank drivers and pilots, and laser beam shooting Sci-Fi members...you name it, something for everyone. It was like 1960's WWII movie making and comic book writing mentality with lasers.

This new movie appears to have dumped all of that, and that's a big let down for me. They're treating this version of the Joe's like the cast of Road Rules and The Real World with super hero suits to wear during the challenges. Looks bland and boring.

...little Green army men...Sgt. Rock and all his flamboyant individualized characters of Easy Company...The Unknown Soldier, Weird War Tales, G.I. Combat and the Haunted Tank...

Now VH, those are some "blasts from the past" for me definitely; my dad raised me on that stuff. Man...I used to love those books. As a matter of fact, I think I still have some old ratty issues somewhere packed away. And y'know, I had never considered the fact that G.I. Joe had a little bit of everything from every genre. That had never occurred to me before...

I guess I'm just somewhere in the middle concerning the debate over RAH vs. ROC. I can completely see some fans wanting to see a direct translation of ARAH to celluloid. I remember in the heday of ARAH having these visions of what I'd love to see in a G.I. Joe movie. I used to picture in my head a black screen, then all of a sudden you'd get this flash of the view behind a Skyhawk VTOL skimming through a forest after some type of Cobra plane or jetpack, and I imagined it had about the same sound as a snowspeeder from The Empire Strikes Back. But that was about it. I think anyone who grew up during that time or was a fan of any age imagined what G.I. Joe would look like on the silver screen.

But...having said that, that was some twenty-odd years ago. Our view of what's cool about the military has changed, and we've seen some interesting visions of military/sci-fi in movies since then. A RAH-era movie made today would come across as seriously dated; it would essentially be a period-piece movie, and I'm not sure that would ensure future generations of fans like the modern, updated version we're getting in the form of ROC.

I don't know. I wouldn't mind seeing a straight-up film version of RAH, I really wouldn't. But...I really like what I see in ROC. I'll always have my RAH memories, books and figures, so why not have yet another version that I can enjoy? And really, if you suspend belief a little and transplant your favorite characters there, ROC is actually G.I. Joe from the future. It's set ten years in the future, isn't it? Well...it's G.I. Joe of the near future. (lol) It suddenly reminds me of this special forces/black-ops "team" my brother and I came up with back in 1985, the peak of RAH. You know, those of you old enough to remember, how at the height of RAH's popularity, we were all obsessed with the Vietnam War. Rambo, Chuck Norris in Missing in Action, Uncommon Valor, Hamburger Hill...all of those old movies about Vietnam were coming out left and right. Well, we decided we'd create this team of patriotic teenage kids that would *snicker* go to Vietnam and fight the Vietcong to rescue American prisoners of War. (lol) (Yeah...it was extremely silly.) But I remember I was still enamoured with Luke as a Jedi Knight, how cool he looked in his all-black Jedi attire. Well, I was also caught up in those old M.A.S.K. toys. (Stay with me here, I do have a point...) I loved that motorcycle that turned into a helicopter, so my character (we never named anyone or did any team names) was the cool Snake-Eyes-type that carried swords and knives and drove a black motocycle that...guess what...changed into a helicopter. (lol) Anyway...my point is, as much as I loved ARAH, and as much as that vision of G.I. Joe is ingrained in my mind, liking the whole black-uniform look and special-forces/black-ops stuff like I do, maybe I would have like ROC as a kid. As a matter of fact, I know I would have liked it.

I'm just not gonna sweat it. It's no big deal. The world ain't gonna end. I'm gonna just go into that theater with an open mind, and I expect to just enjoy myself. If it's not as good as I'm hoping or expecting it to be, then oh well. I'll go straight home and read my Marvel Comics (and cry for what might have been...no, just kidding) (lol) and revel in pure '80s nostalgia...and come on here and bash the movie with everyone else. (lol) Seriously, I'm excited, and I'm expecting ROC to be a really good if not great movie.

I too am getting more excited. I know I would have loved this as a kid!!!

As a kid, at the peak of ARAH, there were constant changes and we all seemed to adapt just fine. Every year there were new characters, character modifications and here and there hierarchel changes.

It's an expanding universe. this movie might be viewed as a part of that expansion or maybe a new addition to the "multi-verse" as witnessed by the major difference between the cartoon, the comics and sometimes the file cards.

of course its gonna be than TF2! Bay cant make a good movie even to save his career or his life! sommer's gots the stuff to make a movie... F.U.N. ! i am excited for this film. it shall rock and it'll make new JOE fans in the long run. no more 'ARAH' same ol' same ol' finally something different! #US1#

of course its gonna be than TF2! Bay cant make a good movie even to save his career or his life! sommer's gots the stuff to make a movie... F.U.N. ! i am excited for this film. it shall rock and it'll make new JOE fans in the long run. no more 'ARAH' same ol' same ol' finally something different! #US1#

"FINALLY something different"..? @hmmm@

I bet This G.I.Joe movie won't make any more NEW fans than what The Hulk, The Spirit, Watchmen, Iron Man or latest Indian Jones flicks made for them.

I'm surprised at how somebody that blows so much smoke up Hasbro's butthole about how great their G.I.Joe TOYS are one minute, turns around and craps on everything they've ever done with it thus far....while trying to blow even more smoke about a movie they've yet to even see?

Do you even really LIKE G.I.Joe's or are you just here to promote the movie of it?

Our view of what's cool about the military has changed, and we've seen some interesting visions of military/sci-fi in movies since then. A RAH-era movie made today would come across as seriously dated; it would essentially be a period-piece movie, and I'm not sure that would ensure future generations of fans like the modern, updated version we're getting in the form of ROC.

Those movies and comic books I mentioned were all created some 20 years after WWII.

I don't feel my "view" of what's cool about the military has changed at all, and I still like all that sh@# I mentioned before, and I still like G.I.Joe ARAH just as ever before, and it doesn't really nned to change for me, just keep going and going. There's never been a movie version of ARAH, so i would have hoped that the first crack at one, would have been a little more connected to what it was all about and not so caught up in making it "new" or "improved" when such things were not necessary.

My dad was 9 years old in 1939 when the Wizard of Oz first played in the movie theaters, and some 30 years later, I was wettin' my pants watchin' it and getting thrilled over it just the same as he did when he was 9. ^_^

I don't know where all this stuff comes from that things are so different today and everything has to be updated or redone or made new again, because of attitudes and changing times? A "classic" is a "classic' and will always be a "classic". You don't need to improve on it..you just have to ENJOY it. G.I.Joe has certainly warranted a "classic" reputation, and it can be enjoyed in it's original form just as much today as it was then.

What makes a musical group crap out early in their recording career? The idea that they have to keep CHANGING their sound, updating it for the times or a NEW fanbase, staying "cutting edge" and 9 times out of 1o then just fall flat and fail to attract a NEW base and only alienate their old one.

I don't know. I wouldn't mind seeing a straight-up film version of RAH, I really wouldn't. But...I really like what I see in ROC. I'll always have my RAH memories, books and figures, so why not have yet another version that I can enjoy? And really, if you suspend belief a little and transplant your favorite characters there, ROC is actually G.I. Joe from the future. It's set ten years in the future, isn't it? Well...it's G.I. Joe of the near future. (lol) It suddenly reminds me of this special forces/black-ops "team" my brother and I came up with back in 1985, the peak of RAH. You know, those of you old enough to remember, how at the height of RAH's popularity, we were all obsessed with the Vietnam War. Rambo, Chuck Norris in Missing in Action, Uncommon Valor, Hamburger Hill...all of those old movies about Vietnam were coming out left and right. Well, we decided we'd create this team of patriotic teenage kids that would *snicker* go to Vietnam and fight the Vietcong to rescue American prisoners of War. (lol) (Yeah...it was extremely silly.) But I remember I was still enamoured with Luke as a Jedi Knight, how cool he looked in his all-black Jedi attire. Well, I was also caught up in those old M.A.S.K. toys. (Stay with me here, I do have a point...) I loved that motorcycle that turned into a helicopter, so my character (we never named anyone or did any team names) was the cool Snake-Eyes-type that carried swords and knives and drove a black motocycle that...guess what...changed into a helicopter. (lol) Anyway...my point is, as much as I loved ARAH, and as much as that vision of G.I. Joe is ingrained in my mind, liking the whole black-uniform look and special-forces/black-ops stuff like I do, maybe I would have like ROC as a kid. As a matter of fact, I know I would have liked it.

I'm just not gonna sweat it. It's no big deal. The world ain't gonna end.

No...of course not! @haha@ But since this is the G.I.Joe forum on TNI here, it seems like this is only just the more appropriate discussion for the group...G.I.Joe stuff? If i was worried baout "life ending" stuff..I'd go watch the History Channel and REALLY get depressed. ;)

What ARE the requirments?

To satisfy me?

A Duke, that looks, talks and acts like Duke! A Cobra Commander, that looks, talks and acts like Cobra Commander! A Destro that LOOKS, TALKS and acts like Destro! A Hawk that looks, talks and acts like Hawk...add the repeat the same for each and every character that had a regular role, like Bazooka, Gung-Ho, Alpine, Flint, Lady-Jaye, Roadblock (not a Heavy Duty instead) Scarlett, the Crimson Twins and Dr. Mindbender...from the CARTOON (all I ever knew of ARAH) and I'd be satisfied that it was a true "CARTOON come to LIFE" version of it.

This movie doesn't even scratch the surface of what those cartoons looked like and stood for. Hell, they don't even have 1/3 of the characters that made it so popular. Ripcord, Breaker and Heavy Duty??? Seriously?? That doesn't exactly SCREAM "CARTOON COME TO LIFE!!" to me, and 'tom me' is key here, as I know others will accept whatever this movie provides as Hollywoods first big stab and trying to do just THAT....bring the 80's G.I.joe ARAH story to the big screen in live action. I'm too picky about it, this I know, and this version of "G.I.Joe" is no different than any other source materials I've been a fan of and watched Hollywood totally screw up and try and create THEIR interpretation of, on film...nothing new here.

I just had to laugh at the line "CARTOON TO LIFE" comment, as highly exaggerated. A "SUPER FUN ADAPTION OF A 80's CARTOON" would have even sounded better. ^_^

I have to say, first of all, your NOT being fair. All we have is, what 2 or 3 crappy trailers that show the same scenes of Paris? How do you KNOW the characters aren't going to act like "who they are supposed to act like"? None of us have actually seen the movie yet.

I agree, yeah, the characters could stand to look accurate.

But take Hawk for example. The Sunbow version was different from the DiC version which was different from the Marvel comic version which was different from the Devil's Due version. Ad nauseum.

Was the Resolute version of these characters good? Why were those versions acceptable but the, as currently unknown, movie versions not?

So, for you, it boils down to the characters looking and acting (talking? wha?) "correct". Ignoring the comic versions here, how would that have to be? The cartoons had certain limitations and weren't exactly considered dramatic.

And, also, just how many character did you expect to see? Again using Resolute as an example, how many "main" characters were there? How many characters were just cameos?

This is an origin movie. As with X-Men, you can only have so many characters. And, as with X-Men, if there are sequels, I bet we will see plenty more Joes and Cobras but did you REALLY expect to see them all?

Our view of what's cool about the military has changed, and we've seen some interesting visions of military/sci-fi in movies since then. A RAH-era movie made today would come across as seriously dated; it would essentially be a period-piece movie, and I'm not sure that would ensure future generations of fans like the modern, updated version we're getting in the form of ROC.

Those movies and comic books I mentioned were all created some 20 years after WWII.

I don't feel my "view" of what's cool about the military has changed at all, and I still like all that sh@# I mentioned before, and I still like G.I.Joe ARAH just as ever before, and it doesn't really nned to change for me, just keep going and going. There's never been a movie version of ARAH, so i would have hoped that the first crack at one, would have been a little more connected to what it was all about and not so caught up in making it "new" or "improved" when such things were not necessary.

My dad was 9 years old in 1939 when the Wizard of Oz first played in the movie theaters, and some 30 years later, I was wettin' my pants watchin' it and getting thrilled over it just the same as he did when he was 9. ^_^

I don't know where all this stuff comes from that things are so different today and everything has to be updated or redone or made new again, because of attitudes and changing times? A "classic" is a "classic' and will always be a "classic". You don't need to improve on it..you just have to ENJOY it. G.I.Joe has certainly warranted a "classic" reputation, and it can be enjoyed in it's original form just as much today as it was then.

What makes a musical group crap out early in their recording career? The idea that they have to keep CHANGING their sound, updating it for the times or a NEW fanbase, staying "cutting edge" and 9 times out of 1o then just fall flat and fail to attract a NEW base and only alienate their old one.

I'm just not gonna sweat it. It's no big deal. The world ain't gonna end.

No...of course not! @haha@ But since this is the G.I.Joe forum on TNI here, it seems like this is only just the more appropriate discussion for the group...G.I.Joe stuff? If i was worried baout "life ending" stuff..I'd go watch the History Channel and REALLY get depressed. ;)

I just think that G.I. Joe was ahead of its time for its time, but...that was twenty-seven flippin' YEARS ago!! That don't mean ARAH is any less of a milestone in our lives. But Hollywood is some twenty-odd years late making the movie. It took them that long to catch on to what we already knew was cool. But...we have to accept what they think is gonna be successful. Now if it's a big ol' bomb of a movie, that's fine; maybe that would in turn motivate someone else to revive it down the road and make it a little more realistic. But even then...I'm just gonna be honest with ya: A Real American Hero movie set in the 1980's would be a sure-fire hit with us older fans, but not necessarily to the kids or a wider audience. Hasbro and Paramount are hedging their bets on reaching that wider audience with flashy, sci-fi elements with high-octane action and adventure. and in their minds it needs to be fresh, modern, maybe even a little futuristic, and have some resemblance to what's been recently successful, i.e. The Matrix Trilogy, X-Men, etc. Hollywood is formulaic that way when it comes to big-budget flicks paired with toy companies that stand to make alot of money off of the kids that buy the toys. It's that simple. It's us older collectors that want it to be treated like the next The Dirty Dozen or Saving Private Ryan, something of epic proportions that immortalizes what we see as the definitive version of G.I. Joe. Well, it just ain't gonna happen. The rules of Hollywood dictate so, at least when it comes to properties with 80s-toys tie-ins. We see ARAH as the be-all, end-all of G.I. Joe. Hollywood however sees it as a flash-in-the-pan, so to speak; they want to try to appeal or speak to ALL iterations or all aspects of the property, or at least the most successful ones, namely (and obviously) ARAH and Sigma 6. My theory is that they wanted to tap into the nostalgia for what was arguably the most popular version (ARAH), but update it with the look and feel of Sigma 6, a more recent popular version, with some comic book background sprinkled throughout. They want to maximize popularity and take advantage of the fanbase as a whole, not one particular niche.

And think about this: G.I. Joe is supposed to be the epitome of the most up-to-date, cutting edge counter-terrorist strike team, and you'd want to see it as it was twenty-seven years ago?! Like I said, very cool for its time, but it wouldn't exactly be very up-to-date and cutting edge, now would it? (lol)

As for The Wizard of Oz, it appeals to men women, boys, girls, and basically people of all ages. A RAH G.I. Joe movie would not. It just wouldn't. And as for those old war comics...how many WWII flicks have you seen in the last thirty-years that was a huge success across the board? One...and that was Saving Private Ryan, and that was because that movie was a phenominal work of art, when you ask most people. My point is war movies are not generally mainstream hits for studios, especially those set in specific periods.

Now maybe if they presented it as the following premise: "In 1985, the world faced the biggest threat since Hitler's Nazi Germany...and it didn't even know it. What stood between freedom and this sinister threat? An American strike force, assembled from the finest our military has to offer. They were the world's last hope, its last line of defense against the entity known as...COBRA." That would be cool. But there again, at the end of the day, it would still be a period piece that would appeal to just a small audience, and I'm afraid it would suffer the same fate as Watchmen.

By the way VH, my "the world ain't gonna end" comment wasn't meant as an admonition to you folks that are up-in-arms over ROC. I wasn't tryin' to preach to you or anybody else. I just meant for me the world's not gonna end if Stephen Sommers delivers a big ol' steaming pile of cow-dung of a G.I. Joe movie on August 7. All I can do is support it by seeing it and being either thrilled or disappointed, or I can not support it by staying away and complain about it. That's all I, Devil Bat can do about it.

My geeky fanboy summer movie ranking is either going to look one of two ways:

Star Trek

Transformers 2

GI Joe

Wolverine

OR

Star Trek

GI Joe

Transformers 2

Wolverine

Wolverine is a distant fourth so GI Joe would really have to stink up the joint to beat that. And I was thrilled....THRILLED with Star Trek...GI Joe would need to be perfection in order to beat that out. With Transformers, the only thing going for it was Optimus Prime and some Megatron/Starscream dialogue. It's beatable.

I have to say, first of all, your NOT being fair. All we have is, what 2 or 3 crappy trailers that show the same scenes of Paris? How do you KNOW the characters aren't going to act like "who they are supposed to act like"? None of us have actually seen the movie yet.

It's no different than those that have already boasted about how GREAT this movie is going to be. ALL our opinions are merely based on what we've seen thus far of the images, the previews, the toys, the trailers, the reviews etc.. and what observations we make based on any of that. if those "observations" are not to anothers liking, then it's easy to dismiss them as being based upon very little or not enough.

Believe me, the same attmepts to dismiss disliked opinions of the movie will continue even AFTER we've all seen it. :)

Was the Resolute version of these characters good? Why were those versions acceptable but the, as currently unknown, movie versions not?

That's not even all that much of a comparison is it? Another cartoon of a popular cartoon vs the live-action version they're touting as "the cartoon come to life"? Resolute made changes to uniforms but did a helluva job of re-creating the attitudes, voices and personalities of the characters, as they were portrayed in the original, so yes....I was quite pleased and "accepted" it.

So, for you, it boils down to the characters looking and acting (talking? wha?) "correct". Ignoring the comic versions here, how would that have to be? The cartoons had certain limitations and weren't exactly considered dramatic.

The movie opted to use very FEW of the many characters from the original cartoon, so they've dodged having to re-create too much of that already. Heavy Duty? Ripcord? Breaker? Cover Girl? #WTF# Why not Gung-Ho? Shipwreck? Bazooka? Roadblock? Flint? Lady-Jaye? Alpine?

The review didn't say "COMIC BOOK come to life" or "DEVILS DUE come to life" or SIGMA SIX come to life" or "RESOLUTE come to life" it said "CARTOON come to life" and that cartoon has a very set in stone grounded portrayal of these characters, in looks, attitude, uniform style, voice, accents, leading roles vs supporting roles etc..

I don't feel this movie even comes close.....based on the information I have in order to make that early call.

And, also, just how many character did you expect to see? Again using Resolute as an example, how many "main" characters were there? How many characters were just cameos?

This is an origin movie. As with X-Men, you can only have so many characters. And, as with X-Men, if there are sequels, I bet we will see plenty more Joes and Cobras but did you REALLY expect to see them all?

If this was truly an "origin movie" then wouldn't there be a need for MORE "original 13" Joes, and in some more basic uniforms apart from accelarator suits? Where's Stalker? Doc? Roadblock? Rock-n-Roll? Clutch?

Audiences have short attention spans, and don't really require all the "origin" crap Hollywood likes to obsess over these days. Best way to start off is with a BANG!! G.I.Joe fighting Cobra, Cobra Commander already in power and fortified, Joe's already been thru hell and back and part of the RAH team, lots of action and excitement in the first 15 minutes of the film (like saving Private Ryan or even the opening of the G.I.Joe The Movie around the statue of liberty) have the Cobras retreat to try again another day, set up the plot of what the next attempt will be, showcase some of the standout characters for THIS film, and forget all the baby stepping along, to develop characters that should just be COOL right off the screen, without their whole life story being addressed FIRST. BORING!

None of that really means anything, because the film is already made, and it's what it is, but I do have some complaints that won't be liked, but it's only because i have too much time and interest invested in the material, so I'm a hard sell. This movie doesn't need my approval to be a hit...the audiences and overall repsonse by the masses will determine that. :)

I just really REALLY have to laugh at a critics assertion that this thing could even be anywhere near the CARTOON....come to life? All it is character names, so of course it's based on the cartoon, but "based" is not "come to life". I have a more definite description in my head of what would merit such a statement, and that's all I'm going on about really...that review.

"FINALLY something different"..? @hmmm@

I bet This G.I.Joe movie won't make any more NEW fans than what The Hulk, The Spirit, Watchmen, Iron Man or latest Indian Jones flicks made for them.

I'm surprised at how somebody that blows so much smoke up Hasbro's butthole about how great their G.I.Joe TOYS are one minute, turns around and craps on everything they've ever done with it thus far....while trying to blow even more smoke about a movie they've yet to even see?

Do you even really LIKE G.I.Joe's or are you just here to promote the movie of it?

i say it to piss off the ARAH fans :P dont get me wrong i love all GIJOE from the 60's 70's to the a real american hero line, to gijoe vs cobra, venom vs valore, spy troops, sigma6, and to the 25th anniersary, and now GIJOE :ROC -- i mean the movie figures are well made-- far superior to the 25th line cus there are some errors on those figures (SOME CANT HOLD THEYRE GUNS FOR #$@#!) but yes. it was mostly a lil tease at the 30 year old somethings that cant let go of the past i'm glad JOE is moving forward and it will create new JOE fans. just as vanhelsing created new 'universal monster fans' and trust me i know a few teens who are into the classic horror films after seeing that film.

and like i said.....its gonna be 100% better than that transformers 2 movie......least it wont have sexual jokes exsposed to young kids. @grumpy@ i may not be a parent but damn... nothing is wholesome anymore.

This is good news. I am going to see it for what it is, a movie about toys.

GOOD IDEA!! A "movie about toys"..is an excellent way to look at it, and how I'll view it as well. The toys go well with my 25th G.I.Joes and provide some awesome supplementals to what I care baout the MOST already....TOYS! ^_^

I've read books FIRST and love them but hated the MOVIE. I've seen movies and loved it so much I bought and read the book it's based from, and HATED it. Whichever we become a fan of FIRST...we kind of cling to a little harder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I completely agree with this!!! This is why Hollywood (for the most part) ignores us "enthusiasts" because they know short of filming a frame-by-frame, cell-by-cell recreation of what we know and love....we just won't be happy. Unfortunately this is not 1985 and if they (Hasbro) want this franchise to carry on into future generations it CANNOT remain in 1985.

Gijoe has always been a semi-futuristic special forces team with advanced technology and weaponry. In the 80's, the idea of soldiers with lasers, jet packs and trouble bubbles seemed awesome and advanced. Despite the fact that even these days this is true, it just isn't awesome enough. They were forced to take it to the next level thanks to the mighty morphin power rangers upping the costumed/robotic antie in the nineties and then CGI advancement in the modern era. Kids today just wouldn't have survive the 80's. Just be thankful we all GOT to!

Remeber when we were young and had to listen to how those "little toys aren't GIJOE!!! GIJOE is 12 inches tall and looks like a real soldier!!!" and how much we hated it??? I know a few of you out there embraced both.

All I can say is I will take my kids to see the film and I will enjoy it no matter what especially if they enjoy it at all. At some point we have to pass the torch.

Well said, I agree

G.I.joe has always been about selling toys.

Thats all the movie is for, Thats what the cartoon was for...

The thing that gets me, is that the movie is using "kids" to play these great characters, and my impression of ARAH and COBRA was that these were all older people, retired marines and soldiers, who have been there and done that, been thru hell in Vietnam or some excursion there around and got picked up to form the ARAH team. The only younger acting snot-nosed punk kid of the bunch seem to be Falcon in the cartoon movie?

Aside from Quaid as Hawk, the rest of the cast is too young and preppy lookin'.....IMO!

This Tatum actor is a friggin gay pinup model for cripes sake? Hardly what I'd ever imagine to see playing DUKE?

Hollywood seems to be a little hard pressed to come up with the kind of rugged, mature and ethical leading role models like that of yesteryear. Tom Cruise? Brad Pitt? Mark Wahlberg? They've undoubtedly paved the way for the era of "pretty boys" taking over in Hollywood? Makes it a little hard to buy into the character they're playing when they're just so darn "cute"! :rolleyes:

The thing that gets me, is that the movie is using "kids" to play these great characters, and my impression of ARAH and COBRA was that these were all older people, retired marines and soldiers, who have been there and done that, been thru hell in Vietnam or some excursion there around and got picked up to form the ARAH team. The only younger acting snot-nosed punk kid of the bunch seem to be Falcon in the cartoon movie?

Aside from Quaid as Hawk, the rest of the cast is too young and preppy lookin'.....IMO!

This Tatum actor is a friggin gay pinup model for cripes sake? Hardly what I'd ever imagine to see playing DUKE?

The average age of most special forces soldiers used to be about 28.

Apparently, that's dropped to about 26 now.

That's actually younger than the actors playing these roles in this movie.

The average age of most special forces soldiers used to be about 28.

Apparently, that's dropped to about 26 now.

That's actually younger than the actors playing these roles in this movie.

That's "real life" though and we're discussing comic books, cartoons and carefully written file cards regarding the characters of ARAH mythos? Even with them having Vietnam vets on the team, set in the 80's would have realistically made them in their late 30's early 40's, but i didn't gather that the time of ARAH and COBRA was dated to the same time of which it all became popular?

My impression of ARAH (in the 80's) was still that these guys were older than the ACTUAL regular military soldiers or special forces? Not new kids on the block, fresh out of college, no history with any forces or military, just right off the street (like they're practically portraying DUKE in this movie) and on the Joe team..but rather seasoned VETS of a much older age. Same with Cobra, and the actress playing Baroness is a joke in comparison to the persona I've always had of her.

I always thought of Duke as about 35 years old. In 1988 when I was only 10, this seemed older than it does now at 31. These characters were introduced in the early 1980s and never seemed to age. In fact, sometimes they actually seemed to get younger. In the comics I know they slightly referenced age, but the imagery hardly changed at all. The toys on the other hand had no consistency at all in regards to age. Hawk did take on a more distinguished look from V1 to V2, but he also went from one hair color to another.

The truth is, Tatum is nearly 30. Had he enlisted when he was 18, he'd be a near 12 year vet. I'd say thats a hell of a lot of experience. The other thing to consider is these guys are the best of the best. It isn't just their experience that makes them great; it's also thier natural god-given ability to excel well beyond their expected potential that puts them on the GIJOE team.

Truthfully I don't want to see Marky Mark or Brad Pitt playing Duke. They would have ust made it another Pitt or wahlberg movie. I like that they chose a fairly unknown, young and upcoming actor to take on the role and make it his own.

Truthfully I don't want to see Marky Mark or Brad Pitt playing Duke. They would have ust made it another Pitt or wahlberg movie. I like that they chose a fairly unknown, young and upcoming actor to take on the role and make it his own.

I like new faces and talent also, as it lends itself to getting into the characters better, when you've never seen them as much else (like the entire cast of Star Wars when it came out...Harrison who?) but I don't like this Tatum as Duke..I can tell already. He might be 30 in real life, but he's much too young and pretty faced to be playing the kind of Duke I would have preferred to see. :(

I hope he doesn't make "Duke his own" as that would make the annoyance drag out longer.

The 3 main actors I'm indifferent to, are the ones chosen for Duke, Cobra Commander and Destro.

The 3 main characters I'm wondering WHY they're even in it at all above OTHERS, are Heavy Duty (instead of Roadblock) Ripcord and Breaker?

The 3 that even make ANY of it seem remotely like a G.I.Joe movie (upon first glance) are Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow and the (worlds top model version) Baroness!

The kind of stuff that would make it really hard for me to exclaim after seeing it (even if I end up liking it) "WOW..that was like the CARTOON come to LIFE!" @loll@ That would be reaching and I feel that "reach" was made by this critic in this review.

Tatum as Duke doesn't bother me, but Gordon-Levitt as the Comander I am havin a hard time with. I have no fantasy cast for CC, but if I did, it sure wouldn't be the kid from Third Rock. Despite my own perceptions of Duke's age over the years, I have always pictured the Comander as much older, like late forties or possibly 50. The idea of a Palpatine-like figure around 30 years old is a little hard to swallow.

Eccleston as Destro I am just going to have to see. Destro is just one of those characters that cannot be seemlessly crossed over to film, so I can't say much there without seeing more.

Heavy Duty instead of Roadblock? Dumb. Under-developed second rate character at best.

Breaker, Cover Girl and Ripcord? Corrupted bios by way of foriegn portrayal or a miscast black comedian. If they wanted Wayans so bad they should have written in Doc or Big Lob. They couldn't have picked a more dull set of characters from the GIJOE gallery. None of these characters were ever popular on the cartoon so "cartoon come to life" is bullpoo. If this were the cartoon come to life it would have Shipwreck, Flint and Lady Jaye.

SO FAR Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow look awesome and far surpass what I would have expected Sommers to do. I just hope the hype from the trailers stays true when I am sitting in front of the big screen.

I think Quaid is perfectly cast as Hawk and the women thus far look the part.

Despite this list of grievances, I try to stay positive. 87% of my current 31 years have been spent waiting for a GI JOE movie. The 1990s sent fear into my heart that GI JOE as I knew it was dead in the water never to return. And then came the relaunch, although not completely true to what we grew up with, it was close enough to get excited about. Hopefully we enjoy this movie so there will be sequels to enjoy as well.

Yeah...to me, for someone to say this film is the "cartoon come to life" probably means they're not very familiar with the cartoon or the mythos to begin with. Although, I would hope that this movie is not the "cartoon come to life". Egad. (lol) Could you imagine? I would be laughing my head off at Cobra Commander's lisp, the ridiculous "Yo Joe!!" cry from the entire team whenever they engage Cobra in battle, and the Dreadnoks would be like The Three Stooges: The Next Generation. It would be a disaster; very funny, but a disaster. (lol)