ROC movie tests better then ROTF

Ccav

AintItcoolreviews ROC

According to Steve Weintraub of Collider.com:

“G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” is not the train wreck you’re expecting.

In fact, some of the film is quite good. While many of you won’t believe me til you see it with your own eyes on August 7th, last night I got into a research screening of director Stephen Sommers “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” at the Bridge Theater in Los Angeles and came away liking what I saw.

My one sentence: It’s the cartoon come to life.

Without getting too spoilerific for you Joe fans out there, here are some of the finer points of the film that the reviewers say will make it better than Revenge of the Fallen:

-The action scenes are really well done and there are a lot of them.

-The movie is cheesy but fun. Yeah, the dialogue is corny and everyone was either a good or a bad guy, but that’s the cartoon. Also, it never went for the really cheap joke or any bathroom humor.

-The pacing is spot on. With the film clocking in around 1 hr. 45 minutes or so, you’re never far removed from an action scene.

-The plot actually works and makes sense…for a “G.I. Joe” movie. Unlike “Transformers 2″, “Joe’s” got a clear story.

The fine folks over at Latino Review also gave The Rise of Cobra a thumbs up.

For fans of both Transformers and GI Joe, it's shaping up to be an amazing summer with the monster smash Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, still in theatres and on IMAX screens and with GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra due to hit a theatre near you on August 7th 2009.

Wow, maybe there is more Hope for this movie then originally thought. I liked ROTF, but it was missing a ton of what we call Plot.. which MBay apparently does not approve of ( tounge in cheek)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am holding out hope for this movie. Part of me doesn't really want it to be all about the cartoon in style and substance, but I can take it if it works.

Oh, and plot only gets in the way of drawn out slow motion action sequences that make very little sense @wink@

I never thought it was going to bad like the others were saying in here. They held the movie to unrealistic expectations, thinking they can just keep the same cartoon characteristics and just transfer them over to live film. They think it would be ok for shipwreck to have the same clothes, same sailor dialougue with the pirate on his shoulder. It just wouldnt work well on film, but alot of people in here just hold onto that nostalgia too much and dont realize how much a failure that would be for a film. It didnt work for masters of the universe, Street fighter, or the first punisher.

Not surprising it would "test better" than ROTF. For the average moviegoer, human characters are easier to relate to than CGI giant robots.

And I've already made comments about the movie being like the cartoon. It has the right elements (the MacGuffin, for example).

But I still think fans will be less than pleased based on things we've been reading online. Or, take the toy packages for example. Don't want movie spoilers, DON'T read the filecards. Be disappointed when you see it happen in the movie. Not now when your just looking at the toys.

That review lost all credibility with the line "it's the CARTOON come to life".

This movie is so far removed from anything even remotely resembling the old cartoon, that even without having SEEN it for myself, I know it's bunk!

It has the familiar names of the characters, but they don't even slightly resemble anything they wore or looked like in the cartoons, so that statement is a little over emphasized.

That review lost all credibility with the line "it's the CARTOON come to life". It has the familiar names of the characters, but they don't even slightly resemble anything they wore or looked like in the cartoons, so that statement is a little over emphasized.

I doubt he's talking about the "look" of the movie. But it's obvious that the tone and the relationships are more cartoon-inspired than comic based.

That review lost all credibility with the line "it's the CARTOON come to life". It has the familiar names of the characters, but they don't even slightly resemble anything they wore or looked like in the cartoons, so that statement is a little over emphasized.

I doubt he's talking about the "look" of the movie. But it's obvious that the tone and the relationships are more cartoon-inspired than comic based.

hmmm..I'm not seeing that in anything I've watched thus far. What are you seeing in previews that supports this "tone" and even the "relationships" developed for the movie that matches that of the cartoon, enough to warrant a comment like "cartoon come to life"?

The cartoon (by my best recollection) was all about Gung-Ho, Bazooka, Alpine, Shipwreck, Flint & Lady Jaye...the relationship between Duke and Scarlett. Cobra Commander was nothing like what this movie portrays, and even Destro is off the mark, just enough to disqualify a straight from the cartoon to screen assertion from a critic. When i see the previews, the only thing that would clue me in to it being a movie version of the old cartoon, would be the images of Baroness and Snake Eyes.

I'm just not buying the "cartoon come to life" analogy, as I think it's a little absurd given the liberties taken with the source material and the major changes made, to (as they claim) "make it presentable to today's audience". I think the comment is being used very loosely. Ripcord suddenly being the comedy relief in place of Bazooka, would be only ONE of the many obvious differences between the two.

I know we're talking about The Rise of Cobra here, but...I don't think ROTF lacked a plot. It just wasn't as clear and sequential as it could have or should have been. And we could have done without some characters, but anyway...

I've given this movie the benefit of the doubt from day one. Now that's not to say it still won't be a turkey, but I still have yet to see anything that makes me think it will. I'm very excited to see it.

I would prefer them not to compare it to the cartoon come to life - the cartoon is what it is, and this movie will not be able to capture that particular mark. I can stand cheese lines if there is a plot - you know, that plausible sequence of events. That said, it's hard not to compare it to the cartoon and hope they didn't take extreme liberties.

Well a lot of critics called TF2 one of the worst movies ever made.......so the fact that its testing higher doesn't surprise me.

The fact that it seems to be a good action movie has me more interested.....most of the early reviews are from guys that had the toys growing up but aren't die-hards like most of us. Supposedly the action is like the cartoon come to life in some respects. A lot of people are saying that its a big, sometimes cheesy (but a good cheesy, if that makes sense) fun action movie, where you can actually tell who's who. Where the Joes are good and they are trying to stop the bad guys (Cobra). Although the couple reviews both said Channing Tatum (Duke) just can't fill the shoes of head guy, and is in over his head. (Cardboard, is what I think one reviewer called his performance)

I'm getting more excited for it the more I see......I'm starting to just accept this as another alternate version of GI Joe......I'm gonna shut my mind off and have my popcorn and have fun.

Now the actually backstorys of some of the characters is where I'm still gonna be a fanboy about......some of the stuff about the Joes and Cobras just had me shaking my head????? Thats the stuff I can see all of us ranting about the day the movie comes out. Some of the stuff is pretty ridiculous in the Joe movie-verse.

Now the actually backstorys of some of the characters is where I'm still gonna be a fanboy about......some of the stuff about the Joes and Cobras just had me shaking my head?????

That's exactly what I'm talking about. If I get jolted out of my movie experience because I have a fan boy moment, I'm gonna livid!

They might have been better off using the expression "the toy line..come to life"? The comic books and action figures have gone in far more directions and taken on far MORE themes than the cartoon ever did.

Every character in the cartoon looked the same throughout it's run, and it mimicked the toy line at the time to almost every detail. The slightest deviation from any of that, is more than just an update, it's a do-over!

Still looking forward to it. I know a few things might bother me but the newest trailers I saw I really liked a lot. I don't take to much seriously when it comes to movies, I just enjoy them if I am interested and I am.

Draven

I knew Tatum couldn't stand on his own, he hasn't really shown in his other movies that he is anything other then a co-star. Too bad, I think they should have picked a better looking man myself.

Hell i still think Micheal Biehn should be in there somewhere lol.

I agree Draven,that is the way it should be.I may go see it for the heck of it.

Oh..I'll definitely see it for "the heck of it" as the curiosity will be too much (as a fan anyway) to see if either my initial fears (gripes) are warranted or if I'll be pleasantly surprised? I've already got my mind set up to when I do see it (at home as a rental) I'm just going to watch it as a cool action adventure Sci-Fi military flick, and not sit there with a mental notepad as to how bad or how well it measures up to anything I've ever imagined a live-action movie about G.I.Joe the (REAL AMERICAN HERO's version) to be?

I'm already convinced my "imagination" is hard to top (it's been developed over a period of about 40 years now) so it just wouldn't be a fair test. ^_^

If it makes me utter "hey cool" or "OH SNAP" or yell "GET OUT OF THERE" or makes me laugh at funny moments, and most importantly..if it makes me CARE and give a sh@# about the characters and what might happen to them, then I'll be pleasantly surprised. If I utter a few "ugh's" and roll my eyes too much....not good! @haha@

I think I've asked this before, but is necessary for this to BE G.I. Joe?

From the "cartoon come to life" standpoint, that's what we HAVE.

Character backstories: How many of the cartoon versions really HAD backstories that most of us didn't have to expound upon from the comic itteration? Hell even Cobra Commander, if you ignore Cobra-La, was nothing like the comic version. Comic CC was a used car salesman with the accident and all that. Toon CC? Just some guy in mask. Hell even the rivalry between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow didn't exist (it was always Storm Shadow vs Spirit).

Scarlett and ?: The comic it was Snake Eyes, the toon it was Duke. Resolute played it both ways. But for the movie, Duke is the star and even though Snake Eyes is/will be popular, the STAR gets the girl.

The MacGuffin: In the toon there was always one be it the Weather Dominator, Ion Attractor or Synthoids. The movie's MacGuffin is that metal-eating nanomachine cloud thingy.

"The Look": Best way to describe it. Having the characters LOOK like whom they are supposed to be. This is probably the touchiest subject, especially given the 25th line's late prevalance. Based on the characters picked, just how ARE they supposed to look? First of all this is a modern military army. I don't mind so much that the Joes have similar uniforms...at first. No real reason they couldn't go with individual looks later. But that begs the question WHICH looks? Heavy Duty's original look was kinda odd, for example. Sigma Six significantly changed the looks of our "classic Joes" and was pretty popular for awhile (there ARE some people that still like it). So why is Sigma Six acceptable but movie versions are not?

The Story: Most people that disliked Transformers disliked it because of the looks of the robots (too "bug like", for example), not necessarily the story. I personally thought the whole "they traveled thousands of miles as meteors" idea was stupid. Why not the Ark? As with the game, I don't see the Autobots really going around wantonly destroying stuff. Why do I bring it up? That was a significant change to the backstory of Transformers (BOTH versions) that nobody seemed to mind much (or, as yet, I've seen little complaint). So why is it suddenly bad or a "no no" to reinvent the Joe backstory? Again, see Sigma 6 or even Extreme.

Cobra Commander: We don't KNOW anything about this version. We can only base it on the toy. Whether or not the toy is going to be a good indicator of the character in the movie is hard to say. I'm one of the people that sees NO reason, at all, to change the character to....that. What was wrong with the original look that demanded such a drastic overhaul? The real indication, for me, is that the actor playing him sounds like a total putz....and the character, regardless of his appearance, will suffer for it.

Settings: Several of the cartoons involved sending the characters to various "environments". Why? To focus on characters associated with those environments (to sell their toys). Anyone catch the Robot Chicken episode where Snow Job gets left at the base? From the trailers (and the toys released, such as the Ice Viper) we are getting some of that.

Combat: The Joes kick ass. You don't think we'll see that? The Joes in the comics did so to an extent, but when you can tell a story over several issues, you can also show them as, well, "less than invincible". The movie will be a 2 hour cartoon more than it will be a 2 hour comic adapation from that standpoint. Sure, we will see the Joes get their butts kicked, briefly, around the middle (I think) because being the underdog is cool.

The only way this movie will "stray" from it being a "cartoon come to life" is we will actually see guys get killed instead of ejecting from helicopters.

I'm always baffled by people's complaints about the movie NOT being G.I. Joe. Just what do you have to have for it to BE G.I. Joe?

What ARE the requirments?

I think I've asked this before, but is necessary for this to BE G.I. Joe?

From the "cartoon come to life" standpoint, that's what we HAVE.

Character backstories: How many of the cartoon versions really HAD backstories that most of us didn't have to expound upon from the comic itteration? Hell even Cobra Commander, if you ignore Cobra-La, was nothing like the comic version. Comic CC was a used car salesman with the accident and all that. Toon CC? Just some guy in mask. Hell even the rivalry between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow didn't exist (it was always Storm Shadow vs Spirit).

Scarlett and ?: The comic it was Snake Eyes, the toon it was Duke. Resolute played it both ways. But for the movie, Duke is the star and even though Snake Eyes is/will be popular, the STAR gets the girl.

The MacGuffin: In the toon there was always one be it the Weather Dominator, Ion Attractor or Synthoids. The movie's MacGuffin is that metal-eating nanomachine cloud thingy.

"The Look": Best way to describe it. Having the characters LOOK like whom they are supposed to be. This is probably the touchiest subject, especially given the 25th line's late prevalance. Based on the characters picked, just how ARE they supposed to look? First of all this is a modern military army. I don't mind so much that the Joes have similar uniforms...at first. No real reason they couldn't go with individual looks later. But that begs the question WHICH looks? Heavy Duty's original look was kinda odd, for example. Sigma Six significantly changed the looks of our "classic Joes" and was pretty popular for awhile (there ARE some people that still like it). So why is Sigma Six acceptable but movie versions are not?

The Story: Most people that disliked Transformers disliked it because of the looks of the robots (too "bug like", for example), not necessarily the story. I personally thought the whole "they traveled thousands of miles as meteors" idea was stupid. Why not the Ark? As with the game, I don't see the Autobots really going around wantonly destroying stuff. Why do I bring it up? That was a significant change to the backstory of Transformers (BOTH versions) that nobody seemed to mind much (or, as yet, I've seen little complaint). So why is it suddenly bad or a "no no" to reinvent the Joe backstory? Again, see Sigma 6 or even Extreme.

Cobra Commander: We don't KNOW anything about this version. We can only base it on the toy. Whether or not the toy is going to be a good indicator of the character in the movie is hard to say. I'm one of the people that sees NO reason, at all, to change the character to....that. What was wrong with the original look that demanded such a drastic overhaul? The real indication, for me, is that the actor playing him sounds like a total putz....and the character, regardless of his appearance, will suffer for it.

Settings: Several of the cartoons involved sending the characters to various "environments". Why? To focus on characters associated with those environments (to sell their toys). Anyone catch the Robot Chicken episode where Snow Job gets left at the base? From the trailers (and the toys released, such as the Ice Viper) we are getting some of that.

Combat: The Joes kick ass. You don't think we'll see that? The Joes in the comics did so to an extent, but when you can tell a story over several issues, you can also show them as, well, "less than invincible". The movie will be a 2 hour cartoon more than it will be a 2 hour comic adapation from that standpoint. Sure, we will see the Joes get their butts kicked, briefly, around the middle (I think) because being the underdog is cool.

The only way this movie will "stray" from it being a "cartoon come to life" is we will actually see guys get killed instead of ejecting from helicopters.

I'm always baffled by people's complaints about the movie NOT being G.I. Joe. Just what do you have to have for it to BE G.I. Joe?

Excellent post. l agree

Transformers lacked alot of the backround, it only had the right characters/rank/factions. Other wise the Plots were "meh" and the Story writing had lots left to be redone.

G.I.Joe can't be worse, it can only be better. The cartoon aspect is over the feel of the movie, light hearted, normal humor, and relationships.

its def not the cartoon thanks god, I don't wanna see Cobra Commander being a Baffling moron who can't put on his own pants with out retreating. Nor Do I want the Joes standing around at the end, to say a Horrible joke and laugh off into the credits.

To satisfy me?

A Duke, that looks, talks and acts like Duke! A Cobra Commander, that looks, talks and acts like Cobra Commander! A Destro that LOOKS, TALKS and acts like Destro! A Hawk that looks, talks and acts like Hawk...add the repeat the same for each and every character that had a regular role, like Bazooka, Gung-Ho, Alpine, Flint, Lady-Jaye, Roadblock (not a Heavy Duty instead) Scarlett, the Crimson Twins and Dr. Mindbender...from the CARTOON (all I ever knew of ARAH) and I'd be satisfied that it was a true "CARTOON come to LIFE" version of it.

This movie doesn't even scratch the surface of what those cartoons looked like and stood for. Hell, they don't even have 1/3 of the characters that made it so popular. Ripcord, Breaker and Heavy Duty??? Seriously?? That doesn't exactly SCREAM "CARTOON COME TO LIFE!!" to me, and 'tom me' is key here, as I know others will accept whatever this movie provides as Hollywoods first big stab and trying to do just THAT....bring the 80's G.I.joe ARAH story to the big screen in live action. I'm too picky about it, this I know, and this version of "G.I.Joe" is no different than any other source materials I've been a fan of and watched Hollywood totally screw up and try and create THEIR interpretation of, on film...nothing new here.

I just had to laugh at the line "CARTOON TO LIFE" comment, as highly exaggerated. A "SUPER FUN ADAPTION OF A 80's CARTOON" would have even sounded better. ^_^

Its hard to do these type of arguments when everyone hasn't seen the film......I pretty much read everything.....I don't care about spoilers or anything, it doesn't ruin the experience for me at all. I've picked up the movie novelization, and some of the early reviews that have spoilers in them.........most of the backstory's for the Joes have been COMPLETELY changed.......I'm talking nationalities and origins and even defining characteristics of these characters........thats really my only beef with this movie anymore......is that stuff.

What if Batman was suddenly in Los Angeles (because people don't believe in made up cities).....or London (because all the heroes are in Europe).......and he dated Catwoman at one time who was the Joker's sister.......and Robin was black(not a big deal about Ripcord but I'm just saying)....and Nightwing was Chinese and Alfred was somehow Bruce's adoptive Uncle........I mean do I have to go any further.......stuff is just changed to be changed with no real reason.......(Other than the "It wouldn't look right on film" crap that we always hear)

The commercials are starting to trick me though..........the Kid Rock "American Badass" commercial came on the other night and I was excited then I remembered what I've read about it and kinda came back down to earth.......even the one with Baroness saying "Real American Heroes" almost got me. I bet those are only being shown in the states.

Plus, I agree with VH.......whatever is on the screen Aug. 7th will never come even close to what we have in our imaginations of what a live-action GI Joe should be. Or live up to it........

A Duke, that looks, talks and acts like Duke! A Cobra Commander, that looks, talks and acts like Cobra Commander! A Destro that LOOKS, TALKS and acts like Destro! A Hawk that looks, talks and acts like Hawk...add the repeat the same for each and every character that had a regular role, like Bazooka, Gung-Ho, Alpine, Flint, Lady-Jaye, Roadblock (not a Heavy Duty instead) Scarlett, the Crimson Twins and Dr. Mindbender...from the CARTOON (all I ever knew of ARAH) and I'd be satisfied that it was a true "CARTOON come to LIFE" version of it.

I'm sorry to say but you're not going to see your favorite characters look, talk and act the same from one Joe continuity to the other.

When I was a kid and watched the toon, I immediately turned around and read the comic. I was suprised to find the toon's Hawk and the comic's Hawk completely different (and I'm not just talking hair color). Dito for guys like Snake Eyes, a key character in the comic, only occasional roles in the cartoon (relationship to Storm Shadow, non-existant). Shipwreck, colorful personality in the cartoon, almost no personality in the marvel run of comics. Cobra Commader, bumbling bad guy in the cartoon, evil bastard in the comic (and actually replaced by someone ELSE for a good chunk of the original series). I found almost everyone to be completely different from their cartoon counterparts. I still liked both the toon and the comic equaly.

Since then we've gotten even more continuities....Sigma 6, Resolute.

Now you're gonna get fans who hated the cartoon but loved the comic or fans that loved the catoon and never read the comic. You're probably not going to please everyone here.

When I see a review that says "Cartoon come to life", I say, could be worse!

Plus, I agree with VH.......whatever is on the screen Aug. 7th will never come even close to what we have in our imaginations of what a live-action GI Joe should be. Or live up to it........

That's the disadvantage of being a fan of G.I.Joe for too long. There's too much history involved to let our expectations relax enough to totally accept what Hollywood (in the year 2008-2009) decides to do with the material.

I've read books FIRST and love them but hated the MOVIE. I've seen movies and loved it so much I bought and read the book it's based from, and HATED it. Whichever we become a fan of FIRST...we kind of cling to a little harder.

Does anybody REALLY think this G.I.Joe movie is going to be like the "CARTOON COME TO LIFE" so much, that it is as though it picked right up were the last cartoon left off, only NOW the action and visuals of all those great characters, is being played out thru LIVE ACTION? @hmmm@

THAT...would be the epitome of "cartoon to life" but we all know that's not the case. This is the redo of all that ever came before. V1 verse a V2 (just like the toys...same character different version)

The commercials are starting to trick me though..........the Kid Rock "American Badass" commercial came on the other night and I was excited then I remembered what I've read about it and kinda came back down to earth.......even the one with Baroness saying "Real American Heroes" almost got me. I bet those are only being shown in the states.

Nope those spots are airing in Canada too. Seen them broadcast on Cdn channels and in trailers in front of current movies here.

......whatever is on the screen Aug. 7th will never come even close to what we have in our imaginations of what a live-action GI Joe should be. Or live up to it........

I dunno.........I've tried imagining what a live-action GIJOE movie should be, and I keep running into things I would change.

The comics and the toys have been lame.......stupid even, so visualizing them in a motion picture never did it for me.

The closest thing that has come to it has been a few shots from a few commercials--namely those kinds of images showing COBRA legions marching in mass formation before COBRA Commander.

I mean............just how is Snake-Eyes supposed to move? What would a fight between him and Storm Shadow be like? Frankly, the animated series have taken liberties with tapping martial arts cinema to the point of the fights becoming hopelessly over-the-top.

What would the Joes fight like? The cartoons have shown them fighting like total nincompoops..... soldiers that have NEVER heard of such basic manoeuvres as bounding over-watch, etc. And the comics have them rattling off their weapons specs while using the stuff.

Crikey, if that is what people are visualizing in their heads..........then Steven Somners has had a cake-walk

I've read books FIRST and love them but hated the MOVIE. I've seen movies and loved it so much I bought and read the book it's based from, and HATED it. Whichever we become a fan of FIRST...we kind of cling to a little harder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I completely agree with this!!! This is why Hollywood (for the most part) ignores us "enthusiasts" because they know short of filming a frame-by-frame, cell-by-cell recreation of what we know and love....we just won't be happy. Unfortunately this is not 1985 and if they (Hasbro) want this franchise to carry on into future generations it CANNOT remain in 1985.

Gijoe has always been a semi-futuristic special forces team with advanced technology and weaponry. In the 80's, the idea of soldiers with lasers, jet packs and trouble bubbles seemed awesome and advanced. Despite the fact that even these days this is true, it just isn't awesome enough. They were forced to take it to the next level thanks to the mighty morphin power rangers upping the costumed/robotic antie in the nineties and then CGI advancement in the modern era. Kids today just wouldn't have survive the 80's. Just be thankful we all GOT to!

Remeber when we were young and had to listen to how those "little toys aren't GIJOE!!! GIJOE is 12 inches tall and looks like a real soldier!!!" and how much we hated it??? I know a few of you out there embraced both.

All I can say is I will take my kids to see the film and I will enjoy it no matter what especially if they enjoy it at all. At some point we have to pass the torch.