Batman making out with Starfire

spidermanskrull

Bruce Wayne is dead as far as all of his friends/relatives are concerned. They are doing their best to keep the "image" of Bruce alive (which was partly achieved because Hush was impersonating him for awhile). If Bruce really is dead or not is open for debate to us fans. Superman held his corpse in Final Crisis. It seemed pretty "Final" to all the DCU characters, but Grant Morrison showed the readers that someone who looked suspiciously like Bruce/Batman was in a cave in the past(?) with Anthro (now old) drawing bat symbols on the wall. So is he really dead? Is he stranded in the past? If he wasn't vaporized by Darkseid, whose corpse was Superman carrying?

But Dick Grayson is now Batman. He has taken up the mantle of the Bat and is now wearing the cowl. Most people don't know that Dick is now Batman. Commissioner Gordon suspects that it's not the same Batman, as does Two-Face.

Robin is now Damian, Bruce's 8 year old son with Talia. Dick/Batman is featured in Batman and Batman and Robin with Damian. Tim is now Red Robin. Batwoman (Kate Kane) is now the star of Detective Comics. There is a new Batgirl coming soon (my guess? Stephanie Brown).

So, Batman making out with Starfire makes sense since Dick and Kory used to date and were almost married a couple of times. My guess is that this is the cover from a book written by Judd Winick since he was working on getting Dick and Kory back together during his run on Titans.

geeesh! i need to catch up with all of these. last series I read was Batman R.I.P. After that I'c clueless. Thanks muppethost for the brief explanation.

So does that mean there's no more Nightwing?

There IS a Nightwing in the DCU, but he's not a Batman related character...he's a Superman related character!!!

See, back in the Silver Age, there were two heroes of the shrunken city of Kandor...Nightwing and Flamebird. The modern city of Kandor was recently un-shrunken and its inhabitants now reside on New Krypton (in orbit opposite the DCU Earth, on the other side of the sun). And, sure enough, 2 heroes emerged using the names Nightwing and Flamebird. Flamebird is a woman this time around and Nightwing is...wait for it...Christopher Kent! (AKA General Zod and Ursa's son, who Superman and Lois adopted for a brief time. Chris is only 8, but because he was born in the Phantom Zone, he is physically now 18 or so...I hate this kind of rapid aging in storylines, but the alternative is Franklin Richards who was born about the same time as me, but spent about 30 years being 4 1/2).

So, YES there is a Nightwing, but not in the way you are thinking.

Dammit DC, stop messing up my favorite comics!!!

We all know Bruce will be back... My guess is he'll return at the end of Blackest Night. However in the meantime, Dick is doing a bang up job as Batman! The core Batman book is better than it has been in a loooong time. Good for him making out w/Starfire!!!