who would win in a fight?

theLegacy

who would win in a fight?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. who would win, one on one?

• Capt America (Steve Rogers)
    • Optimus Prime (post animated movie)

uh.. what is cap going to do to hurt Optimus?

Can he throw his shield hard enough to go through metal?

maybe he won't have to throw so hard, isn't that shield made from adamantium? go cap!

Maybe he could get just the right zing on his throw, and the shield would end up caught in some gears or something! :)

his shield is an adamantium/vibranium alloy. I admit my Transformers knowldge pales next to Marvel, but I think Optimus is just standard steel like any other big rig. again, I could be wrong.

kinda a trick question.

because they wouldn't fight each other, they really wouldn't have a reason to

yes, I realize that Cap's shield is made of adamantium!

However, this is a serious physics flaw that also falls on Wolverine all the time. Wolverine wouldn't ever be able to cut through most of the metal stuff that he does. He just isn't capable of creating enough force to do so.

it doesn't matter that adamantium is a harder metal than steel.

I give you this, take a steel knife and drive it through a phone book. YOU CAN'T! It doesn't matter than a knife is 1000X harder than a paper phone book, you can't do it.

So both Cap and Wolverine shouldn't be able to damage other metals, unless they were very thin

However, this is a serious physics flaw that also falls on Wolverine all the time. Wolverine wouldn't ever be able to cut through most of the metal stuff that he does. He just isn't capable of creating enough force to do so.

I give you this, take a steel knife and drive it through a phone book. YOU CAN'T! It doesn't matter than a knife is 1000X harder than a paper phone book, you can't do it.

So both Cap and Wolverine shouldn't be able to damage other metals, unless they were very thin

agreed

this is a very interesting point that I've never thought of. however (and I'm not saying you're wrong, just an added thought) one thing that Cap has that Wolverine does not, is velocity. his shield was physically designed for this purpose, it's going to pick up speed on the way to the target, therefore picking up power. Randy Johnson couldn't throw a 20 mph punch, but he can get the ball over the mound at around 100, because that's what the ball was designed for.

as for the steak knife through a phone book; no you couldn't, for 3 reasons. 1. it's serated which will slow down your thrust with each knotch. 2. a phonebook is not ONE object, so much as a collection of hundreds of thin objects, again slowing your thrust (slightly of course, but enough to make a difference) try stabbing a standard kitchen knife through a block of the pulp that phonebook paper is cut from and I'll bet you'll see a much different result. 3. unlike Cap's shield, a steak knife was never designed with the intention of stabbing phone books ;)

this is a very interesting point that I've never thought of. however (and I'm not saying you're wrong, just an added thought) one thing that Cap has that Wolverine does not, is velocity. his shield was physically designed for this purpose, it's going to pick up speed on the way to the target, therefore picking up power. Randy Johnson couldn't throw a 20 mph punch, but he can get the ball over the mound at around 100, because that's what the ball was designed for.

as for the steak knife through a phone book; no you couldn't, for 3 reasons. 1. it's serated which will slow down your thrust with each knotch. 2. a phonebook is not ONE object, so much as a collection of hundreds of thin objects, again slowing your thrust (slightly of course, but enough to make a difference) try stabbing a standard kitchen knife through a block of the pulp that phonebook paper is cut from and I'll bet you'll see a much different result. 3. unlike Cap's shield, a steak knife was never designed with the intention of stabbing phone books ;)

I said Steel knife, not Steak Knife @lol@ I mean ANY kind of blade... you can't do it.

or think of this, how much harder a shovel is than dirt... but how far can you drive a shovel down in one push? Not very far.

What would happen if Wolverine (who does not have super strength) tried to stab or slice through a Sentinel? Most likely he would get a couple inches deep, and his claws would wedged in the metal. He would not be able to pull them out without a lot of jostling.

Somehow, Marvel has given Wolverine the ability to have magical claws. They don't act like metal at all, more like a light saber. They are constantly cutting in all directions, anything they touch, like a laser. When Wolverine sticks his claws into something, they magically displace whatever he is cutting.

With Cap's shield/baseball theory, the object being thrown doesn't pick up speed the further it goes. It LOSES speed the further it goes. Randy Johnson could definitely throw a 20mph punch. His arm has to go very fast in order to get the ball up to speed.

kinda a trick question.

because they wouldn't fight each other, they really wouldn't have a reason to

I agree with this.

oh I hate this! I hate it when they do it in comics too.

It's not a trick question. The question is who would win if they fought @lol@

Not, why would they fight?

You bring a good point which I concur with. I also think the edge of the shield/claw is dependent on how sharp it is. l mean a sharpen steel would do more damage than a dull one. I doubt Wolverine sharps his claws nor they are the sharpen thing in the marvel universe. Regardless of the metal, wolverine was quite deadly with done claws so l agree with clam

I said Steel knife, not Steak Knife @lol@ I mean ANY kind of blade... you can't do it.

or think of this, how much harder a shovel is than dirt... but how far can you drive a shovel down in one push? Not very far.

What would happen if Wolverine (who does not have super strength) tried to stab or slice through a Sentinel? Most likely he would get a couple inches deep, and his claws would wedged in the metal. He would not be able to pull them out without a lot of jostling.

Somehow, Marvel has given Wolverine the ability to have magical claws. They don't act like metal at all, more like a light saber. They are constantly cutting in all directions, anything they touch, like a laser. When Wolverine sticks his claws into something, they magically displace whatever he is cutting.

With Cap's shield/baseball theory, the object being thrown doesn't pick up speed the further it goes. It LOSES speed the further it goes. Randy Johnson could definitely throw a 20mph punch. His arm has to go very fast in order to get the ball up to speed.

Calm is right again. The air slows down the shield over time, therefore, if Captain america's enemy is a mile away, he couldn't really hit him since his shield will slow down and hit the ground before touchin' its destination.

It sort of why the Shoryuken does not have a lot of strength as an uppercut in real life.

hahaha, you totally did say steel knife, my mistake.

I'm not arguing your Wolverine theory, you've sold me on that one

Cap's shield WILL lose speed as it loses velocity, just as Randy Johnson's ball will act in the same manner. however, think about this; what would do more damage, a major league pitcher smashing you in the face with a baseball in his hand at his top speed, or standing on home plate while he slings a 95 mph fast ball from the mound?

I'm pretty sure there are scans out there of Captain America's shield being thrown and shearing through metal objects. I know for certain it's cut through heavy manacles, chains, and sheared off the rotor assembly of a helicopter (in flight, which gives an idea of how crazy accurate Cap is with it).

But the truth is they wouldn't fight. They'd be bestest buds inside about 5 minutes.

I'm pretty sure there are scans out there of Captain America's shield being thrown and shearing through metal objects. I know for certain it's cut through heavy manacles, chains, and sheared off the rotor assembly of a helicopter (in flight, which gives an idea of how crazy accurate Cap is with it).

Yep!

heavy armor and thick steel....

capamerica1.jpg

I was thinking it would depend on a few factors like WHY they are fighting and how far apart they are. But as I thought about it, Prime would win.

He has the advantage of mobility, speed, firepower and range.

Cap is a smaller target but it would only take ONE hit to take him out.

Even for sake of argument (see below) Cap's shield CAN damage Prime, it would take several hits. At first I thought Cap's only real advantage was his ability to get in close and do some "hand to hand damage" (that is, climb up and rip stuff out) but all Prime has to do is transform.

It isn't just about how much for or how strong, but how SHARP. Wolverine's claws are supposed to be incredibly sharp.

Cap's shield? Depends on which author is using it. It can be sharp or it can be blunt depending on the story.

I was thinking it would depend on a few factors like WHY they are fighting and how far apart they are. But as I thought about it, Prime would win.

He has the advantage of mobility, speed, firepower and range.

Cap is a smaller target but it would only take ONE hit to take him out.

Even for sake of argument (see below) Cap's shield CAN damage Prime, it would take several hits. At first I thought Cap's only real advantage was his ability to get in close and do some "hand to hand damage" (that is, climb up and rip stuff out) but all Prime has to do is transform.

It isn't just about how much for or how strong, but how SHARP. Wolverine's claws are supposed to be incredibly sharp.

Cap's shield? Depends on which author is using it. It can be sharp or it can be blunt depending on the story.

how sharp? Still, could you cut a phonebook in half with a razorblade or a razor-like item? Hell no. Could a machine? Probably.

It takes strength still.

Wolverine doesn't have super strength.

now this is surprising. Not just a debate on strength or various super powers, but actual intelligence is used here!

I LIKE IT!!!

Clam has some great points. On obvious outcome, you have to go with Optimus, but man, given time, Cap could probably find a way to win (if Optimus doesn't crush him 1st)

Now how would the Hulk or Superman are against Megatron or that Fallen dude?

This is the stupidest who would win fight....I still voted though. Seriously for all those who voted for Cap are C R A Z Y -- Cap couldn't throw the shield with enough force to hurt Prime in any aspect, Prime is also no dub, he can fight and would simply run him over or blast him.

Cap is a pile of dirty toast