Future Massive Clearances?

BingoBrown

Anyone else not seeing the Star Trek product moving at local stores? It's all just clogging the shelves everywhere I go, and I'm wondering whether future waves will even be put out. With Transformers movie toys flying off shelves, new G.I. Joe Movie figures out now, and figures from the second season of the very popular Star Wars Clone Wars series coming in a month or two, it seems like the competition is only going to get more stiff for the Star Trek line.

So, will we see massive clearances of the Star Trek line like we did with last year's Indiana Jones line?

Like the IJ figures, it's not a sustainable line. And the quality is mediocre at best. Wheeljack is right, these'll hang around until Xmas with the DVD release, but probably die out until a sequel gets made. And by then, Hasbro will have strongarmed the rights from Paramount.

My local supplies are utter shelf-glue--but only the figures have been stocked by the major retailers locally.

I fully expect these to end up in a bin for $3 each by September--and I will not buy them even then.

Wow!

I know it's not that cheap, but I got my 6 inch Star Trek Figures @ ROSS for $7.99 each. At the Mall they're $16.99 each and $14.99 @ Blockbuster Video. They're pretty neat. I like them as they look like the actors.

It's too bad they aren't in scale with the DST figures. Still, I think they're pretty cool! I've yet to see a 3 3/4 figure from Star Trek on this side of the island though. I imagine they'll be here soon enough along w/the playsets I guess...

SkyBuzz :)

post-14418-1247198596_thumb.jpg

post-14418-1247198629_thumb.jpg

post-14418-1247198659_thumb.jpg

I saw the 3 3/4 line on clearance at Wal-Mart for 5 bucks each, it's just got to be a matter of time before the other stores follow suit. The 3 3/4 Terminator line has pretty much hit clearance all around and is produced by the same company(Playmates), I wonder if this hurts creating more of their 3 3/4 lines with little shelf life?

If they go on clearance, they go on clearance. It's the fate of nearly every movie toy line in recent memory.

At this point I kinda wish they would just so all the haters can start a massive "I told you so" thread.

I'm definitely not a hater I just don't like overpriced crap. This was exactly that and most had horrible paint apps. Luckily that doesn't happen too often with DST.

I actually had changed my mind about getting these but I had pre-ordered them from DCBS. Yeah , you cannot cancel things there. I was so angry about the "matts" for the playsets. They could have at least use a type of gameboard style matt for the sets. I really wish they were plastic...oh well. I learned the hard way to not order toys that I am not sure about from DCBS. I knew before-hand that I could not cancel the pre-order. I just liked the idea of having Star Trek figures near the scale of Star Wars figures. I do want to complete the bridge and transporter room now lol. I mean hell, I am halfway there lol.

The Star Trek figures (both 6" and 3") at my Wal-Mart are marked down for $3! <_< Now if only I hadn't bought these at full price when they first came out. No way of knowing that they'd be pegwarmers though... :unsure:

No chance of seeing a second set of these either I suppose. :(

@trek@

Well I can tell you the toy dept is going to be reset soon possibly as early as this week

If there were no wave two Target would of clearanced them off allready like the other things that are on clearance in that dept right now

Well I can tell you the toy dept is going to be reset soon possibly as early as this week

If there were no wave two Target would of clearanced them off allready like the other things that are on clearance in that dept right now

But Target doesn't clearance based on whether a toy line is continuing or not. They clearance if a line isn't selling well or if they need the space for other things, and Target has far less floor space for toys than other retailers like Wal-Mart and Toys R Us.

I'm actually quite surprised that Target is continuing to keep a spot for Star Trek. They are getting rid of the Terminator toys, but that was expected. Now it's likely that they'll keep Trek around until after Christmas.

• 4 weeks later...

These didn't even last a month before they went to clearance by me. The figs anyway. If I found the playsets clearanced, I'd be more likely to pick them up for use with GI Joe, but for me, these figs are an easy pass at any price.

Target still has a very good selection.

Meijer: All of the toys are marked down 50%. So I was able to buy a second Enterprise for just $15.00.

I still need to buy some of the 6" figures.

Walmart: Mine has marked them down by only a few bucks. At first they had the figures and the Enterprise. Once the Enterprise was sold out they never re-stocked them. Then about a month or so ago they marked them down, which is the price point they're at now.

The good news at Walmart is that mine moved them to a new location. Plus re-stocked the Enterprise's and even added pegs for the Phaser and other toys. And even added the Bridge & Transporter playsets.

Perhaps a good sign that they'll continue to carry the line into the winter.

• 4 weeks later...

Playmates didn't do too well this summer, I think. Not only did they not sell a ton of Star Trek figs, but my local TRU has pegs packed with Terminator stuff too.

I wonder if some decent hip articulation would have made any difference? I sure do wish that Marvel Toys had been able to make both of these lines in ML style. I'd own all of them.

It just goes to show you that if you make toys that don't appeal to collectors, you suffer poor sales. They say we're a small percentage of the total toy market, but I wonder if that's even true. Are collectors just under-documented?