DCUC price increase to start with wave 11

Opticon

Rumored on a few sites and now confirmed by Scott from Enchanted Toy Chest, there will be a $3 price increase per figure starting with wave 11.

His post from the fwoosh:

Well gang. I have egg on my face. Just got confirmation that there is indeed a $3 price increase per figure. We have adjusted the price on line and we will be contacting people who have all ready ordered thier sets to inform them of the increase and see if they want to keep their order in place at the new price. If anyone reading this has all ready pre-ordered the set, please feel free to PM me with your order info and what you want to do (keep at the new price or cancel).

Man, I hate to eat crow. Now where is that salt?

The current rumor for the wave is: (from a poster over on RTM)

batman-grey,blue and black

deadman-reg. and variant

steppenwolf-reg. and variant

john stewart

shark

question

cyborg superman

regular superman

katma tui

and one other

all come with 75th anniversary pin and retail price will be $14.99-$15.99

Where the batman, superman, and "one other" are most likely all-stars (re-releases).

So...thoughts?

EDIT: I should mention that the increase is possibly just a one time thing and wave 12 could go back to normal, but theres nothing confirmed past wave 11.

at 3 bucks more per figure, I will probably only grab one or two per wave, depending on the character.

or I might be done altogether.

I am only waiting for a few key characters still... Martian Manhunter being tops on my list of figures that has not been announced.

Wow. If these things are going to retail at about 15.00 a figure, on-line prices will be at about twenty bucks a figure. Then there's shipping on top of that! This is pretty scary considering that more and more of us are having to turn to on-line sources for these figures due to their poor availability at retail.

I remember though that Marvel Legends tried a fifteen dollar price tag and it didn't fly. The figures sat on the pegs until Target wised up and knocked five bucks off of that price.

If this 15.00 thing stands, I might be out. I really have to wonder... Is the world ready for a 15.00 Shark figure?

I guess I´ll get just key figures as well. I just hope the C&C figure is something I´m not interested to build.. I´m having already having a hard time grabbing them at regular price, and a 3 dollar increase in a 7-8 figure wave, it´s 21 dlls more I can´t afford, cause my parcels are delivered to Mexico, and it´s a $40 dlls fee.

Wow. If these things are going to retail at about 15.00 a figure, on-line prices will be at about twenty bucks a figure. Then there's shipping on top of that! This is pretty scary considering that more and more of us are having to turn to on-line sources for these figures due to their poor availability at retail.

I remember though that Marvel Legends tried a fifteen dollar price tag and it didn't fly. The figures sat on the pegs until Target wised up and knocked five bucks off of that price.

If this 15.00 thing stands, I might be out. I really have to wonder... Is the world ready for a 15.00 Shark figure?

I'm not so sure about that, ETC adjusted their price for the set of 8 figures to $116.99, which is just under $15 per figure. Sure some sites'll up the price higher, but the good ones should still be comparable to retail.

SO............its finaly happened has it. Even tho DCUC either WONT or can't keep to a DCD time table & supply & demand, they have the nerve to charge DCD prices.................aint that a b*tch!

Umm... DCD is right up there with DST as far as not being able to adhere to release dates goes. Meaning they are meaningless and in constant flux, far moreso than any other producer I ever heard of. (Which is probably why the other just don't give dates, in order to avoid being associated with those two.)

at 3 bucks more per figure, I will probably only grab one or two per wave, depending on the character.

I am only waiting for a few key characters still... Martian Manhunter being tops on my list of figures that has not been announced.

im with you. if i have to pay 21.00 extra bucks, ill only be picking up the ones that i really, really want.

im with you. if i have to pay 21.00 extra bucks, ill only be picking up the ones that i really, really want.

same here! i won't give in! i hope, hehehe!

Wow, there's a lot to comment on there.

I used to not want to pay $14.99 to $19.99 or so for DC Direct figures when I was much younger. And as someone who has never had a great amount of disposable income, it's always been more of a "can I afford it" question than a "do I want to pay that much" one. Suffice it to say I don't have a very large DC Direct collection. So, paying $11.88 to $29.99 for figures that are often essentially not much more than a new head sculpt has been tough to do. But my parents helped me build some nice size action figure collections in the '80s, and I've enjoyed and admired the craftsmanship that goes into making them for so long that it's hard not to want to collect a series as impressive as the Four Horsemen covering the entire DC Universe. It's not difficult to understand why DCUC is the hottest thing in the hobby right now.

The kind of value for your dollar that was the ToyBiz Marvel Legends is probably gone for good (is there even a reason to say "probably"?). I was fortunate to complete my DCSH collection easily enough when they were at retail for a comparable price. I only paid a premium for Cyborg Superman and other than the Cassandra Cain Batgirl I have it complete. When the series expanded to become DCUC, I did try to get at least one of each figure, and with the exception of some of the exclusives or variants I did up to Series 8 (heck, I was even fortunate enough to aqquire some unproduced items, albeit some that perhaps no one neccessarily wanted).

But I have stopped trying to "collect them all". The prices continue to increase while the figures themselves are too difficult to obtain. And when you can find them, online or in a retail store, you're taking a chance on getting lousy product, as there have been so many quality control problems since the DCUC series began. Besides, they're too expensive to get the ones you don't really want, "buy 'em all and get the extra figure" gimmick or not. I have most of what I wanted to see made, anyway. I have modern Mattel Four Horsemen versions of all but one of the Legion of Doom (and I guess one of the various upcoming exclusive feline women could stand in for the Cheetah). I have their Justice League counterparts. There are only a few more figures needed to have a complete tribute to the old Kenner Super Powers collection. About the only major characters they haven't gotten to yet are Martian Manhunter, Plastic Man and Swamp Thing. Swamp Thing is often said to be a no go for this series, so who knows what would ever come of that. Like many other impressive examples I've seen, I can customize myself any character I really feel that I have to have.

I've been thinking of only picking up select figures from here on out anyway. Wave 9 is comprised of a good group, but to me Chemo is the most uninteresting CNC figure yet. I mean, the Horsemen don't have as much of an opportunity to produce as impressive a figure since the character isn't much more than a green jello looking version of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. I won't be buying the SDCC exclusives because of the bait and switch they've tried to pull regarding Gleek. And if this year's star studded, full of A-listers Walmart wave isn't easy to come by, then I may just chunk what I have other than about a dozen or so favorites. Seriously, to the goodwill down the street with anything fit to donate and just throw the rest in the trash. I can only speak for myself. But I suspect that there may be others that have a similar opinion. I hate to use the analogy because it's so cynical, but this business model of Mattel seeming to play the role of "pusherman" is despicable. This just another of many examples of how Mattel treats their customers lousy.

Toys, or at least mainstream action figures, as an industry are extemely lucky to have the loyal fanbase that they do. No other area of pop culture consumerism that I can think of has such a profitable consumer base anymore. Recorded music, and certainly CD sales are no where near the cash cow that they once were thanks to more accessible technology. People don't visit theaters the way they once did because the quality of the experience often isn't there and the prices went up while the quality went down. Why pay $9.00 to go to some noisy, junky theater when something like Netflix exists? Even video games which, like action figures, are hideously overpriced, have a more sensible illusion to their "value" because there's the trade in and rental aspects of the hobby. Now I know that there's the "aftermarket value" aspect of figure collecting. But if people could download, share or rent action figures the way that they can these other examples I've cited, well I guess it's obvious they wouldn't be the "neccessary" purchase that they are now, would they?

Sorry to write a novel about the whole thing. But I guess what I'm trying to say is that the portion of the toy industry that is action figures would be lowering the prices of their products, if they had any sense, not continuously jacking them up. I want the Horsemen to continue to produce as many awesome DCUC and MOTUC as is possible. And I know that there is a segment of the population that may be willing to continue to pay more and more ridicuous price increases for any given item. I don't mean to come accross as a know it all. But I suspect that there are more that can't, or won't, than will. With things almost nonexistant at retail, except for the inevitable glut of overproduced movie tie ins or less popular items which always seem to linger on the shelves once "the good ones" are all sold out, collecting often seems to be much more trouble than it's worth. Trying to get the items that are hardly found in stores anymore online is becoming increasingly expensive and often a colossal hassle. It seems that there is a great chance that the hobby will cannibalize itself.

Well now, I was kinda miffed that Target and Walmart prices were up to $12 and $13 a figure, seeing $15 is rough. Meijer is were I've been buying as of late cause they haven' raised their prices and DCUC is still at $10.99. Guess that won't be the case for very much longer.

same here! i won't give in! i hope, hehehe!

we will! (give in) i pay 40.00 a fig for some of the japanese stuff. plus...what else are we gonna buy? we might say that we wont, but just wait until you go in to the stores and see that freas case of new figs! everyones gonna come posting their b.s. about why they caved....me included!(lol)

SO............its finaly happened has it. Even tho DCUC either WONT or can't keep to a DCD time table & supply & demand, they have the nerve to charge DCD prices.................aint that a b*tch!

Umm... DCD is right up there with DST as far as not being able to adhere to release dates goes. Meaning they are meaningless and in constant flux, far moreso than any other producer I ever heard of. (Which is probably why the other just don't give dates, in order to avoid being associated with those two.)

well maby one in a blue moon dcd will push back a wave a month or two. but I've always been happy about it. between the DC SuperHeros Collection Lead figs, Hot Toys, DCUC, & DCD I've always been kinda happy to get a quick break so my wallet can catch its breath.

Matter of fact I just got off the phone with my LCS & they told me Superman/Batman wave 7 has just come in (right on time might I add). but considering I already have $125 worth of lead figs, $350 worth of Hot Toys, & a TF play station that cost $120 all on pre order at BBTS i'll take any break I can get!! & I'm still missing all of wave 8 DCUC!

Dear God help me!!!!!!

another price increase huh i told you that wel would see it and befor its all said and done 20 to 25 bucks a figure at retail or as we are seeing online will kill off this line along with poor QC again seems to be creeping back in and other issues like distrbution and crap pack assortment.

another price increase huh i told you that wel would see it and befor its all said and done 20 to 25 bucks a figure at retail or as we are seeing online will kill off this line along with poor QC again seems to be creeping back in and other issues like distrbution and crap pack assortment.

Based on the samples I have seen, the quality control on Wave 7 seemed to be so much better than any other previous wave overall. Both the plastic and paint had a much better look and feel to them. I don't know if it had much to do with switching factories or not. I don't have all of Wave 8 yet though and haven't seen any of it at retail (also in NC), so I can't say about the quality of that wave. I do kind of get the feeling that there may be a push to continue DCUC as "online only" somehow.

I don't really like this idea ether but the good thing is. If this is the list for series 11 then I will pass on. There is nobody on that list I want. Besides I really only have room for 8 more figures sends I just got my Heat Vison Superman and Brainiac today. So I would be saving my money and my mom's at times when I don't have it.

Based on the samples I have seen, the quality control on Wave 7 seemed to be so much better than any other previous wave overall. Both the plastic and paint had a much better look and feel to them. I don't know if it had much to do with switching factories or not. I don't have all of Wave 8 yet though and haven't seen any of it at retail (also in NC), so I can't say about the quality of that wave. I do kind of get the feeling that there may be a push to continue DCUC as "online only" somehow.

I think waves 7 and 8 have been very good as far as quality control with regards to paint and parts. It would be nice if it kept up. I hope they don't slide back in order to cut costs.

Really the brick and mortar retailers like TRU, Target and Wal-mart should sit down and divide the waves up among them so as to avoid too much product on the shelves. I mean Target got wave 4 all these months later after everyone had what they wanted. Same with TRU getting wave 7. TRU should say they'll order wave 9 Walmart get their exclusive wave 10 rather than holding up wave 10's release because they've got pegs of Best Of cases or wave 6 and 7 and 8 and 9. Target could order wave 11.

Doesn't really matter to me for this wave. The only one I really plan on getting is Shark.

Annoying to see Red/Blue Supes Long hair version being re-released again since he was also included in one of the Best of DCUC waves. Wave 2 I think it was.

Plus you got the short haired one in the Brainiac 2 pack. Still I'm kind of glad Sinestro is a new version and not the DC SH version from the 2 pack.

Wow, collecting is expensive enough, do they really need to increase the price? I'll only be getting the ones I really really need. <_<

Doesn't really matter to me for this wave. The only one I really plan on getting is Shark.

Annoying to see Red/Blue Supes Long hair version being re-released again since he was also included in one of the Best of DCUC waves. Wave 2 I think it was.

Plus you got the short haired one in the Brainiac 2 pack. Still I'm kind of glad Sinestro is a new version and not the DC SH version from the 2 pack.

Well, hopefully it's a Worlds Greatest re-release so we don't have to get it for the C&C piece.

I'll be done with modern toy collecting before very long. These prices are unjustifyable. I'm betting the movie GI Joes will be at least $8 each...and comics will all soon be at $4 per issue. I'm being priced out of both of my hobbies :(

As for DCUC, probably just snatch up Green Arrow then call it a wrap.

well maby one in a blue moon dcd will push back a wave a month or two. but I've always been happy about it. between the DC SuperHeros Collection Lead figs, Hot Toys, DCUC, & DCD I've always been kinda happy to get a quick break so my wallet can catch its breath.

Matter of fact I just got off the phone with my LCS & they told me Superman/Batman wave 7 has just come in (right on time might I add). but considering I already have $125 worth of lead figs, $350 worth of Hot Toys, & a TF play station that cost $120 all on pre order at BBTS i'll take any break I can get!! & I'm still missing all of wave 8 DCUC!

Dear God help me!!!!!!

You're f-ing kidding me, right?!? 'Once in a blue moon'? Try every f-ing wave since I started collecting them when the first Superman series came out! And the S/B wave was supposed to be out LAST MONTH! DC Direct is HORRIBLE when it comes to staying on shedule. And the worst part is, as bad as they are, they used to keep sites like RTM updated when there were date changes. They stopped doing that a few months ago, so now the only way you'll know there's another date change is if you check the DCD website THE DAY THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE OUT to see if it's really going to happen, or ig they've pushed it back again!

Yeah, that's a real gripe I have about DCD, and thankfully, the only one. I can't argue the quality, sculpt and presentation of their pieces - they are amazing. It's just annoying when they provide release information, you plan for it, then you show up at the store and walk out empty-handed. Another example - The History of the DCU figs wave two was slated to be out last month, while wave ONE was scheduled for this month. Wave two before wave one.