Smallville Season 9 Discussion Thread (Potential Spoilers)

Bespin refugee

i wonder how they will make Hawkman & Dr Fate appear. will it be comic based costumes or just flat out leather jackets outfit like they did with the Legion.

Dude, I just saw the promo after tonights Smallville. No, Fate does not look like Dr. Fate....he IS Dr. Fate! One split second was all we got of him, but the look is straight out of the comics (no leather hoodys and track-suits here)!

Oh yeah, we all knew about Hawkman, Stargirl, and Dr. Fate, but what about that spot on Sandman? Not enough? Well there was also a little matter of a fist bearing a Green Lantern ring.

I have officially forgiven the producers of Smallville for every "poor me" Lana monologue, the horrid "Thirst" episode, and even the god-awful Jimmy / Chloe dance number!

NICE! still waiting here. Pacific Time.

If GL's gonna be in the episode it'll probably be the Old school Green Lantern. The blonde headed guy with the cape. I can't think of his name at the momment. Oh wait, Alan Scott that's his name. This is the JSA we're talking about ya know. He's cool too.

Metallo Returning To Smallville

1/29 - "Disciple"

2/5 - "Absolute Justice" ("Society" & "Legends")

2/12 - "Warrior" / "Hex" (repeat)

2/19 - "Persuasion" / "Idol" (repeat)

2/26 - "Conspiracy" / "Crossfire" (repeat)

Okay, I rarely pay much attention to Smallville, but being a JSA fan, I'm slowly finding myself trying to find info on this upcoming movie/show. Fate looks great, but thanks to Ausiello over at EW.com, I've seen a pic of Hawkman and I suddenly find myself really deflated over the whole thing. Shanks looks a little bit lame. The wings are a bit too small in the pic, and his upper torso doesn't seem so...I guess...defined. I hate to sound like one of those snarky internet critics, but everything else looks awesome for this arc.

I've been MIA on this board for a while (MOTUC runs my life now!), but I've been watching Smallville like always, so I figured I'd come find this post.

I've only watched the first few episodes (the rest are waiting on DVR), but so far I like what I've seen.

- Before the season started, I wasn't sure about Major Zod, but Callum Blue has been great in his limited screen time thus far. He's definitely got charisma. I'm looking forward to how they develop him and what they do with his story arc.

- I like the changed dynamic between Chloe and Clark. For once, she's not the whiny, I-long-for-Clark Chloe she always gets stuck with being. It's interesting and fresh.

- Lois is really shining this season. Watching the scenes between her and Clark really makes Lana seem like a distant, outdated memory. The show has matured, and the Lois-Clark relationship is an example of that.

- The show still has its faults (the writers just can't help cutting corners), but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. I think after Season 8 and what I've seen of Season 9, a Season 10 would be a good thing.

I've only watched the first few minutes so far, but damn...I laughed out loud when i saw his "costume". All black, black trenchcoat, and silver S-logo on the shirt...I mean ya, better than blue and red clothing, but still.

It doesn't seem very original (like every other superhero to film/television, they went with black instead of traditional colors), but I excuse it because I still think it looks cool, and more importantly, it kinda gave me a Superboy vibe.

I guess some things don't translate too well!! LOL!! Or maybe, the X-Men leather look, should be left alone to the X-Men??? Don't like the look of fate!! Hawkman looks real nice though!!

So this is what I ascertain from this. All the bitching about comic costumes not being used in live action should end now based on these pics! Hawkman looks one of the flying dudes from Flash Gordon! Fate looks like he should be selling condoms, and Stargirl's mask must be bulletproof. tsk tsk tsk. Also, I am not the biggest Smallville fan (come on, the blur???) But if we get the JSA in costume, why not the wonder twins? Or any of the other guest heroes? Or even Clark at this point?

• 1 month later...

Everyone might want to check their TV guides. My local CW channel is doing a special on Haiti during the time Smallville should be airing. Last time CW had a special like this it was months before I saw the show in reruns.

Chopz

It looks like this week's episode, "Disciple", will just be delayed a week (1/29), followed by the scheduled "Absolute Justice" 2 hour special (2/5), and then, the rescheduled ep "Warrior" (2/12)

1/29 - "Disciple"

2/5 - "Absolute Justice" ("Society" & "Legends") (Summary & images - promo trailer 1 - promo trailer 2 - 2 more clips)

2/12 - "Warrior" (Summary and images)/ "Hex" (repeat)

2/19 - "Persuasion" Summary & preview clip) / "Idol" (repeat)

2/26 - "Conspiracy" / "Crossfire" (repeat)

4/2 - "Escape" (Promotional trailers)

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious about that as well? Who was the guy who played Frost? He looked like an offspring of Ron Howard's brother. You all know, the guy who's in all of Ron Howard's movies for at least a cameo, is really goofy looking but fits the part. Man, that was eating me up during the whole show.

I thought the episodes were both pretty good. I hate to admit it, but this show should have ended when Clark was done with college. So what should have been season 8, even though he went to college for about a season and then was out of college looking for a job while Chloe started working at the Planet. It's kinda like c'mon, get to being Superman already! I saw someone post something about keeping the show going and just calling it Metropolis. That could work out just fine. Martian Manhunters suit was pretty lame and the quick view of him as a Martian was very 1980's-ish. I hate complaining because I still think the show is a lot of fun for what it is and I still believe it was an awesome concept.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I am finally impressed again...

Absolute Justice was so worth waiting for. Sure it could have done without the Lois/Tess BS, but other than that, I loved it!

"Daniel Jackson" did a good job as Hawkman... Seeing MM go green was pretty cool...

tonight's episode is just one of the many reasons why i think Batman is way smarter than Supes. but good job by the writers though. i always see Clark as a dumb monkey with superpowers. Batman wouldn't have made that mistake.

Zod and his crew had to get their powers back somehow... Hopefully they setting up a massive fight... It be cool to see JSA and JLA team up... I only started watching again when I saw commercial for Absolute Justice... I hated Kristen Kreuk... What happen to Impulse, Aguaman and Cyborg?...