GI Joe Movie toys release date

Joker08

I read on hisstank.com that the movie toy will be available on July 6 rather than July 11. Also read where Target was going to be one of the major hotspots for these toys? Can anyone confirm?

If by "major hot spot" you mean the figures will be available in large quantities but nobody is buying the crap. Then yes.

Well as of a today here in Australia (the land down under where everything is released last) the new gi joe ROC figures single carded wave 1 are in our stores along with vehicles that that were seen here like over 2 weeks ago. Seeing these things up close makes me realise how well detailed these figs are compared to any other 3 3/4 inch toy line.Many people may not be fans of the movie but these toys are a winner. To bad I didn't buy any since each figure was like $17.00AU and I'm broke at the moment.Maybe later.

I wonder how long until they put these bastards on clearance.

It won't be until after Christmas at the absolute earliest. Even then, depending on whether the line is continuing or not the only items that'll likely go on clearance are the Pit and the Night Raven and the "secondary" stuff like action battlers and whatnot.

The only way it "all" goes on clearance is if G.I. Joe is getting removed from stores entirely. If you see single cards flooding the clearance aisles after Christmas, kiss 3 3/4" Joe goodbye for quite a while.

Why not 4th of July weekend?

Well, a rumor on another board said that Target might have them up on the 5th of July (Sunday), but the way the info was gathered could just as easily mean "Sunday night after closing" or "shelves are reset Sunday but no product shows up until Monday."

However, I think the belief is probably that most people are doing other things besides toy buying on 4th of July weekend...going to family cookouts, watching fireworks, maybe seeing a movie, etc....

I just don't imagine most people think to themselves, "Hmmm, it's 4th of July weekend, I should go see if any new toys came out!"

Why not 4th of July weekend?

Well, a rumor on another board said that Target might have them up on the 5th of July (Sunday), but the way the info was gathered could just as easily mean "Sunday night after closing" or "shelves are reset Sunday but no product shows up until Monday."

However, I think the belief is probably that most people are doing other things besides toy buying on 4th of July weekend...going to family cookouts, watching fireworks, maybe seeing a movie, etc....

I just don't imagine most people think to themselves, "Hmmm, it's 4th of July weekend, I should go see if any new toys came out!"

True, but generally speaking holidays ALWAYS mean shopping, to some degree. Besides the fact that this particular movie is somewhat "thematic" to the holiday, so why not tie it in?

I had Scarlet and Shipwreck in hand at Toys R Us, but they wouldn't let me buy them. @grumpy@ Someone didn't see any release date on the box, so they just put them out. The manager kinda snubbed my like I was trying to get away with something, asshat.

The same thing happened to me years ago, someone put a low price tag on a 1:18 car and went to see if I could buy it for the lower price and the manager did the same thing. I bet the dickhead thought I put the tag on when I didn't. It wasn't worth trying something like that.

I had Scarlet and Shipwreck in hand at Toys R Us, but they wouldn't let me buy them. @grumpy@ Someone didn't see any release date on the box, so they just put them out. The manager kinda snubbed my like I was trying to get away with something, asshat.

There's a big misconception that if something is on the floor, it has to be sold to the customer. I'm not saying you believe that, I'm just talking from years of retail experience. Unfortunately for the collector, that isn't the case. If some stocker couldn't manage to notice the street date, that still doesn't mean the item -- whether it be a toy, video game or movie -- has to be sold. There's generally a fine for breaking a street date, and some companies even further punish the retailer by holding orders back, making them late to the party. Key example: GameStop breaks street date on Fight Night Round 4, so EA fines them and also pushes back their shipment of Madden 2010.

The manager was just looking out for his store, more than likely. Now if he was throwing you attitude, that's a different story and he is an asshat. :D

It's kinda silly, but I would love to be able to get the new figures in time for the 4th. It'd be a great way to celebrate it in some small way. I mentioned the same thing to my wife concerning the Hall of Heroes figures, and she in turn accused me of trying to come up with any excuse to get gifts for yet another holiday. (lol) Seriously, I've not wanted anything as bad as I want the HOH figures right now in a long long time.

Also rumor has it the old joe stuff that didn't sell is on it's way to local big lots. Here is hoping for some clear blue wraiths in there somewhere :)

Also rumor has it the old joe stuff that didn't sell is on it's way to local big lots. Here is hoping for some clear blue wraiths in there somewhere :)

blue wraith and snakes with black timber are the only figures I never found. I was out of the country when both of them were released.

For some reason, they did the same thing with both, they were only released in initial shipments

all of the stores have them in stock NOW.

I really don't get the point of a release date for toys

what?! where? they releasing them??

No, I said that they are in stock everywhere.

but they are not selling them.

I don't care that much, I only want a couple of items that feature 25th repaints, but the release date thing is still ridiculous

It may not seem to make much sense, but from the perspective of the manufacturer and the retailer it's a "marketing synergy" thing. Plus, having the "date" gives fans something to "buzz" about...though it doesn't help much if the date is changed without any official announcement to said fans. :P

Plus, having a "hard date" gives every retailer a fair shot at selling, as opposed to say, Target being lucky enough to get their shipments first and get them out and have them sold out by hungry collectors and/or scalpers before Wal-Mart or (especially) Toys R Us even gets theirs on-shelf.

Heck, that's half the reason TRU struggles as much as it does...tends to get things last...after people have already found it elsewhere.