Alexander Luthor and Ultraman

The+Hitman

It's 1:15 PM CST, I forgot these figures went on sale today, so I dial over to Mattycollector.com and get a big fat "Currently Unavailable", what the hell? Are these sold out already?

Tell me again why they also couldn't put Wave 5 out on Mattycollector, or why DC Direct would put the spectrum of Hal Jordan's out only as a SDCC Exclusives, one a day, at select times, insuring nobody will truly get what they want?

Again, no Gleek either on Mattycollector? Why do they hate their customers????

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot as well, and had pretty much the same 'WTF?' reaction. But they are getting a second shipment in a couple of weeks, so they'll be back on sale. I truly did not expect this based on the Starfire.Adam Strange two-pack - they sold out too, but it sure took longer than an hour!

Got my sets, surprising the thing went off without a problem. Hordak is currently showing as Sold Out while the DC 2 pack is Currently Unavailable, which leads me to believe that they may come back in stock soon.

I was happy about this set until I realized that I would want the full Injustice League but I don't like the original versions of Owlman and Johnny Quick, the original versions of Power Ring and Superwoman are ok but OM and JQ suck

0402_johnnyquick_sm.jpg

0402_superwoman_sm.jpg

0402_powerring_sm.jpg

0402_owlman_sm.jpg

It's 1:15 PM CST, I forgot these figures went on sale today, so I dial over to Mattycollector.com and get a big fat "Currently Unavailable", what the hell? Are these sold out already?

Tell me again why they also couldn't put Wave 5 out on Mattycollector, or why DC Direct would put the spectrum of Hal Jordan's out only as a SDCC Exclusives, one a day, at select times, insuring nobody will truly get what they want?

Another one. Look the Ultraman/Luthor thing is probably a mistake. To be fair I was concerned they'd make too many and you'd end up hearing something that starts with "due to poor sales..." and ends with "... no more DC figures." Maybe they underestimated the interest in this set. I couldn't imagine why with the fantastic support most of you guys give them.

Wave 5, maybe you should stop putting the blame on Mattel and ask your local Wal-Mart why you couldn't find them because judging from other comments I've seen some stores just aren't carrying it at all.

Gleek, I can't believe the ridiculousness surrounding this situation. THEY ARE TRYING TO GET PEOPLE TO GO TO THE CONVENTION!!! For some people what toys they can get there are what makes the decision for them to go or not to go. All you people do is complain about how you can get a glorified accessory, you never think "Well, at least I'm lucky enough to be able to get the Twins on Matty Collector post-convention."

Exclusive figures are a way of life in this business and if you can't accept that then you should find another hobby.

Another one. Look the Ultraman/Luthor thing is probably a mistake. To be fair I was concerned they'd make too many and you'd end up hearing something that starts with "due to poor sales..." and ends with "... no more DC figures." Maybe they underestimated the interest in this set. I couldn't imagine why with the fantastic support most of you guys give them.

Wave 5, maybe you should stop putting the blame on Mattel and ask your local Wal-Mart why you couldn't find them because judging from other comments I've seen some stores just aren't carrying it at all.

Gleek, I can't believe the ridiculousness surrounding this situation. THEY ARE TRYING TO GET PEOPLE TO GO TO THE CONVENTION!!! For some people what toys they can get there are what makes the decision for them to go or not to go. All you people do is complain about how you can get a glorified accessory, you never think "Well, at least I'm lucky enough to be able to get the Twins on Matty Collector post-convention."

Exclusive figures are a way of life in this business and if you can't accept that then you should find another hobby.

When they announced the Wonder Twins were going to be available on Matty (sans Gleek), I was in your camp. At least I can get this, even without the Gleek.

I guess after the debacle that was the distribution of DCUC Wave 5 (yeah, I blame Wal-mart a little, but you don't do an exclusive wave to get people into Wal-mart without negotiating that ALL THE FREAKIN' STORES WOULD CARRY IT, or you reserve the right to sell it on Matty), the Gleekless Twins, the problems with Luthor and Ultraman, and now the DCD GL's Rainbow Warriors that will be impossible to get is the latest nut shot with DC Figures, I'm just about done.

Seriously, they not only want you to go to the Con, but EVERY DAY to get each one of these. That's rigodamndiculous!

When they announced the Wonder Twins were going to be available on Matty (sans Gleek), I was in your camp. At least I can get this, even without the Gleek.

I guess after the debacle that was the distribution of DCUC Wave 5 (yeah, I blame Wal-mart a little, but you don't do an exclusive wave to get people into Wal-mart without negotiating that ALL THE FREAKIN' STORES WOULD CARRY IT, or you reserve the right to sell it on Matty), the Gleekless Twins, the problems with Luthor and Ultraman, and now the DCD GL's Rainbow Warriors that will be impossible to get is the latest nut shot with DC Figures, I'm just about done.

Seriously, they not only want you to go to the Con, but EVERY DAY to get each one of these. That's rigodamndiculous!

The GL Rainbow thing is an interesting concept but I'm sure you know that has nothing to do with Mattel. Besides if someone went on Sunday they could probably snag all of them.

Plus you're overreacting to this Luthor/Ultraman thing. It's one day! Things happen, it might be back up tomorrow. Just don't get stupid and buy a scalped set for triple the price. I've done that before much to my chagrin.

To be fair I think it's hard for toy companies to gauge the interests of adult collectors. Things happen like the bad economy, people lose interest in a line, kids are born, etc. And this exclusive stuff, well, in theory it's supposed to get you to the store, convention, Web site, whatever it may be. But I will agree that they should start selling their product both in stores and on Matty Collector. No reason you shouldn't expand your outlets.

The GL Rainbow thing is an interesting concept but I'm sure you know that has nothing to do with Mattel. Besides if someone went on Sunday they could probably snag all of them.

Plus you're overreacting to this Luthor/Ultraman thing. It's one day! Things happen, it might be back up tomorrow. Just don't get stupid and buy a scalped set for triple the price. I've done that before much to my chagrin.

To be fair I think it's hard for toy companies to gauge the interests of adult collectors. Things happen like the bad economy, people lose interest in a line, kids are born, etc. And this exclusive stuff, well, in theory it's supposed to get you to the store, convention, Web site, whatever it may be. But I will agree that they should start selling their product both in stores and on Matty Collector. No reason you shouldn't expand your outlets.

CJ - you and I often have opposing opinions, and quite frequently, the way you carry yourself grates my nerves. But on this occasion (and others, recently), I am in complete agreement with you. :)

Seems no one took the time to read that THIS SET WILL BE IN STOCK AGAIN in a week or two, as they are getting another shipment. So people, don't get your panties in a frickin' bind - you'll get another chance. And then, we'll seel if they sell out again, or stay the course, like the Starfire/Strange pack.

As for wave 5, when a producer comes to an agreement with a supplier for an exclusive wave, it is most likely to be for an allotment, in this case meaning, Wally probably said they'd order X amount of product, and Mattel gave them that. There was nothing saying that the product had to be evenly distributed - it was no doubt purely a case of Wally agreeing to enough product to make Mattel's minimum production quota. What happened next was something like Wally taking their product and asking themselves 'would it be better to have 100% coverage, at one case per store, or less coverage and be able to reasonably stock the shelves?' Hence the limited store inventory.

Gleek? That's been done to death. It's a monkey. A stupid, only-good-for-comic-relief, worse-than-having-a-supervillain-around monkey. Count your blessings they are at least offering the Twins to everyone else. They could have made the whole set exclusive!

But to get back on topic, the Ultraman/Luthor set will be back in stock , they say, by the end of next week. Similar to the Mer-Man deal that went down a couple of months ago.

--------------------

lace front wigs wedding dress

In the timeline of the thread, the updates on Facebook for Matty collector weren't up. I'd assumed there'd be another chance I'd be able to get these figs (kind of like DCUC wave 5), but again, like wave 5, I was afraid it was not meant to be.

So now, I'll hit their site periodically and eventually get them.

As far as the GL's are concerned, no, that's not Mattel (It's DCD like I said in my post), but that is the best story going in the funny books and those do look like good figs. I suppose the point is (like Gleek), I understand having convention exclusives, but why make it almost impossible for those who don't have the time or funds to go to SDCC for the little bits of plastic?

Why are they exclusive to JUST SDCC? Why not have them at ALL the Wizard shows (I'll hit the one in Chicago, I do probably every other year) too?

There's exclusivity, and there's being bastards about it. Gleek is exclusive (and I appreciate their throwing us a bone who can't go to SCDD, so long as they offer them at Matty for more than five minutes before pulling the string), the GL Rainbow Warriors for DCD is being bastards.

My two cents, you mileage may vary.

Let's talk about 'realism'.

For those of us who live in the Real World (certainly NOT the one on MTV) You know you can't get everything you want. No matter how many Santa Claus wishlists you come up with. GET. OVER. IT.

Countless times, it's been explained how we <collectors> are but a small fish in the ocean. Our posts here, and our opinions matter about as much as the sh!t that comes out of a snail at the bottom of the Mariana's Trench. BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU GET!

I'd like to own everything, just like any of you all, but I know what I can and what I can not do. I guess that comes whith age. (?) I've learned patience. I can wait until they have more of the set in stock. (And if you check the times of the posts, my post informing that they would restock came shortly after the first post. How is that? INVESTIGATION. Not running around crying like a little girl until someone spoon-fed me the answers!)

As far as exclusives go, cry however many tears you think it requires, and then mope around, as a wet Kleenex does not change a thing. The term 'exclusive' is somewhat synonomous with the idea of 'reward'. Nowhere in this world will you get something for nothing. EVER. If there's a sad thing, it's that us collectors have backed off so much, that the companies have decided there aren't enough of us out there to do anything besides NYCC and SDCC. Wasn't that long ago (10 or so years) that conventions happened all over the place. Not all of them had exclusives, but at least they were prevalent. Hell, there hasn't been any kind of con in my state since like 1990 - the last time Star Trek decided to do one. Just not enough people willing to go. (and that was before the economic BS that is today!)

DCUC are the best figures there are at the moment.. I love them, have them all( almost) and I suppose would have picked these up if they were still on sale.

that said, I wasnt interested in them when they were first revealed. If I wasnt a completionist, I wouldnt bother, if they are gone b4 I pick them up, I'm sure I will have to get them off EBAY later for 3 times the price..

my point? Mattel selling out this fast is good for the line. ( I hope you all see that) . As opposed to the alterrnative, them not selling any & Mattel saying this line isnt worth it.. they sell out the first batch in record time! that means this line still has legs & fans are willing to support it.

that makes it easier for them to offer cooler/better things in the future.

as for the monkey.. god, I really want that set. and will do just about anything & PAY just about anything to get it. If i miss my shot at a few ringers I'm sending to SDCC.. I'm gonna get this off Ebay or any other source..

you are absolutely right Ares6009!

Gleek is a SDCC exclusive. you get it by going to San Diego. standing in line for hours. smell different kinds of odor. OR have somebody do that for you.

And there's the easiest way which costs more but you dont have to stand in line for hours which is Ebay.

I was at the convention last year and I know a lot of members here can relate how we stood in line for f***kin hours just to get a f***n King Grayskull. And that is the nature of this business. It is called an EXCLUSIVE for a reason!

like what Ares6009 said, we are a small group of fish in the ocean. we can cry the whole year and they won't care. life goes on. business goes on. that's the harsh reality of this hobby.

I am really surprised that these figures sold out. I thought they were both pretty stupid.

Adam Strange and Starfire lasted a very long time, and they were better figures.

so uh.... wtf?

Adam Strange and Starfire lasted a very long time, and they were better figures.

Starfire is the biggest piece of garbage Mattel has ever produced. I look at that figure and all I can tell myself is that I paid almost forty bucks for the Adam Strange, which is a nice figure although the classic look would've been better. I smell DC twisting an arm in order to get their "current" Adam Strange out there.

As for the Luthor/ Ultraman two pack, I too am surprised that they sold out. I wanted them, but they were a pretty divisive set. Either you wanted them or you didn't. I have a feeling I'll be much more satisfied with this one than I am with that box full of Buyer's Remorse called the Adam Strange-Starfire two-pack.

A couple of thoughts on the Luthor/ Ultraman set...

1) The level of detail on Luthor is beautiful right down to tiny folds and stitching on his tunic. Why, after Adam Strange, did Mattel cheap out and not give him a gun or his jet pack? They even gave him two fists so he couldn't hold a re-purposed Luthor gun!

2) Ultraman is nice although the chest flap and the big U look clunky. Oddly enough, with as reluctant as Mattel has always been to add pieces to these figures, they made the U a separate piece when they probably could've gotten away with printing it on his chest. It looks like he's got a giant horseshoe hanging around his neck.

3) As with the upcoming Superman, I hate eyes that are locked in perpetual heat vision.

It's important to continue to voice dissident over the Gleek fiasco because it adds emphasis to the collector wants. This is a two way road and Mattel or other toy company's don't get complete control... If enough people complain or show their dissaproval Mattel will consider other opinions but only if there is a significant response. (they don't want bad publicity and they don't want to loose a collector base). Our voices on these forums over the internet are not only read by Mattel but also by upcoming young collectors, it's in Mattel's best interest to keep Collector thoughts in mind.

regards

Joshua

Let's talk about 'realism'.

For those of us who live in the Real World (certainly NOT the one on MTV) You know you can't get everything you want. No matter how many Santa Claus wishlists you come up with. GET. OVER. IT.

Countless times, it's been explained how we <collectors> are but a small fish in the ocean. Our posts here, and our opinions matter about as much as the sh!t that comes out of a snail at the bottom of the Mariana's Trench. BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU GET!

I'd like to own everything, just like any of you all, but I know what I can and what I can not do. I guess that comes whith age. (?) I've learned patience. I can wait until they have more of the set in stock. (And if you check the times of the posts, my post informing that they would restock came shortly after the first post. How is that? INVESTIGATION. Not running around crying like a little girl until someone spoon-fed me the answers!)

As far as exclusives go, cry however many tears you think it requires, and then mope around, as a wet Kleenex does not change a thing. The term 'exclusive' is somewhat synonomous with the idea of 'reward'. Nowhere in this world will you get something for nothing. EVER. If there's a sad thing, it's that us collectors have backed off so much, that the companies have decided there aren't enough of us out there to do anything besides NYCC and SDCC. Wasn't that long ago (10 or so years) that conventions happened all over the place. Not all of them had exclusives, but at least they were prevalent. Hell, there hasn't been any kind of con in my state since like 1990 - the last time Star Trek decided to do one. Just not enough people willing to go. (and that was before the economic BS that is today!)

Ares, I appreciate your concern and agree with most of your points, HOWEVER I can do without the crying comments and kleenex and whatnot. Totally not necessary. That said, YOU WERE RIGHT in that I was frustrated and took it out on the boards. My apologies.

The point (which one of the other posters picked up on without picking on another poster) was that if we don't voice our displeasure to the companies (they do read these boards), how are they going to know they're annoying their customers?

As I said, Gleek is a convention exclusive, they want to drive business there, so be it, they're throwing a bone to collector community by offering Zan and Jayna through Mattycollector, MUCH APPRECIATED. Hopefully they'll have enough the first go round to meet the demand, if not, they'll push out what they have and we'll have to check back and HOPE they have more.

The DCD Lanterns? That's Bullshizzle. One a day at the convention, EVERYDAY, that's five days of standing in lines to get the whole set. You know and I know that sets will turn up on E-bay and recession or not, I'd guess they'll go for $400+ a set. How does that benefit DCD? It sets up the shop for arbitrage and only scalpers benefit and fans that can't go to SDCC get rolled. How does that make sense?

DCD should follow what Matty did, and make say four out of the five figs available on an electronic retail platform (so the fans can get the product WITHOUT being held up by the scalpers), and make the fifth a con exclusive.

Or better yet, all the figs at the con, and all available at either through Diamond or straight through an electronic platform from DCD, BUT each fig at the con comes with a plastic replica ring of each color to match that particular Lantern. Like Gleek, those hardcore fans get an exclusive extra for the effort of going to the con, and fans that can't make it, get rewarded with the figs (but not the rings, THOSE are exclusive).

All these ideas above are constructive and helpful, not whining and crying like you suggest (and I'll try and keep my frustrations to myself).

Please, let's try and help the companies making the toys we're compelled to buy.

Kind Regards,

MP

Edited by The+Hitman

Starfire is the biggest piece of garbage Mattel has ever produced. I look at that figure and all I can tell myself is that I paid almost forty bucks for the Adam Strange, which is a nice figure although the classic look would've been better. I smell DC twisting an arm in order to get their "current" Adam Strange out there.

As for the Luthor/ Ultraman two pack, I too am surprised that they sold out. I wanted them, but they were a pretty divisive set. Either you wanted them or you didn't. I have a feeling I'll be much more satisfied with this one than I am with that box full of Buyer's Remorse called the Adam Strange-Starfire two-pack.

A couple of thoughts on the Luthor/ Ultraman set...

1) The level of detail on Luthor is beautiful right down to tiny folds and stitching on his tunic. Why, after Adam Strange, did Mattel cheap out and not give him a gun or his jet pack? They even gave him two fists so he couldn't hold a re-purposed Luthor gun!

2) Ultraman is nice although the chest flap and the big U look clunky. Oddly enough, with as reluctant as Mattel has always been to add pieces to these figures, they made the U a separate piece when they probably could've gotten away with printing it on his chest. It looks like he's got a giant horseshoe hanging around his neck.

3) As with the upcoming Superman, I hate eyes that are locked in perpetual heat vision.

Starfire could have been better but she is not garbage. The head sculpt is great. She could have been taller and had sculpted breast and detail nut it didn't happen. She's an ok figure just could have been better.

Starfire could have been better but she is not garbage. The head sculpt is great. She could have been taller and had sculpted breast and detail nut it didn't happen. She's an ok figure just could have been better.

Okay. I'll concede on the head. I could live with her head. The body, though, is unforgivable. Aside from the height, it's just unforgivably flimsy.