"How to" display collections

cjflan32

So after looking at how everyone displays their collections on the pinned thread (everybody does a great job and it's apparent that you all take pride in their display) and was wondering how everyone else puts their stuff up and how they decide what goes where...

Aw hell, why beat around the bush. After looking at everyone's collections it's apparent that your all doing it the wrong. Why in God's green earth would you put your DC Direct figures with your DCUC figures? And even worse, you put your DCUC figures with you DCSH figures! Idiots! That's no way to display your stuff! They don't even belong in the same room!

Obviously that was sarcasm, but some people think that this is worse than running a concentration camp. Personally, like a lot of people, I have to work with what I have. One side of my room features Sideshow Star Wars figures and statues, while the other features my DC Animated Universe figures along with my Hot Toys DC figures. Sandwiched in the middle of all this is a shelf for my Hot Toys Iron Man figures and a little corner desk for my 2009 Star Trek Bridge and Enterprise. For those of you who have the bridge you know that it is both long and wide and a standard shelf won't hold it. So I had to put it in between my JLU figures and my BTAS/STAS display. Does it look funny? A little, but it's the best I can do with what I have and quite frankly the playset looks great on their. And I'm not going to let some third-person talking, snot nosed bully tell me I'm screwing up my collection and neither should you. There is no right and wrong way, that's not an opinion, that is FACT. When you're at the office and the boss asks you to take your stuff down that's one thing; it's another when you invade private property.

So here it is: Does anybody else have this "problem" of mixing stuff up? Do any of you have a real beef integrating your Mattel and DC Direct figures? What if you have a display with loads of Batman figures, one from every line from Mego to Super Powers to Brave and the Bold, one from every movie, one from every cartoon, some comic interpretations, basically it's a Batman shrine, is that ok? Do you smack people who tell you it's looks terrible?

I'd love to hear some intelligent debate on this, but I doubt I'll get it. For most of us it's pretty cut and dry.

Obviously its all personal opinion, so theres no right or wrong way to display your stuff.

Personally I dont like mixing up lines and scales because I like to keep things... "realistic" I guess is the best way to put it. I also don't display multiple versions of the same character together, ie/ theres only one superman, one batman, etc on any given shelf. I do mix lines where it works, for example I have a DCD Killer Croc and Toyman in with my DCUC figures. And since it'll come up anyway...DCSH is the same as DCUC, so theres no point in even differentiating.

But ya, personal preference. Put up your stuff however you want, its your stuff.

Obviously its all personal opinion, so theres no right or wrong way to display your stuff.

Personally I dont like mixing up lines and scales because I like to keep things... "realistic" I guess is the best way to put it. I also don't display multiple versions of the same character together, ie/ theres only one superman, one batman, etc on any given shelf. I do mix lines where it works, for example I have a DCD Killer Croc and Toyman in with my DCUC figures. And since it'll come up anyway...DCSH is the same as DCUC, so theres no point in even differentiating.

But ya, personal preference. Put up your stuff however you want, its your stuff.

Agreed. When I had all these figures I would put the Mattel ones in front and try to avoid side to side comparisons to DCD. I'll tell ya, Mr. Terrific was huge and didn't look so great next to other characters from another line. But the DCD Hal Jordan from the Green Lantern line fit in perfectly with Mattel's Superman and Batman. Some work, some don't. But if you had a bunch of DC figures from different lines sitting on a shelf it'd still be a DC shelf, regardless of scale.

But what you bring up about Croc and Toyman is good also. How many of you had Thanos and The Watcher with figures like Ronan and Silver Surfer? They looked pretty cool together.

This is going to get interesting. Well I put whatever I want where I want because I paid for it and it's my sh!t.I keep DCSH/DCUC together because they ARE the same and as for mixing anything with them besides those, I don't, but if you want to you can because it's your sh!t you paid for it and nobody has any right to tell you different.

For a time I used two tall bookcases with glass doors. Each shelf was kept for one series or group; one shelf had my Joes, one TF's, one for DCSH, etc. It was easy to do this because similar sized figures made shelf spacing uniform. I did group together like subject matter though. All Marvel figures were kept together, although all I ever had were ML. Now I've got a slightly different set of conditions. I sill group them together by subject, but also by size. I've got Masterpiece Prime, Megs, and Starsceam next to my Sideshow Van Helsing and Snake Eyes.

Brown vs. The Board of Mattel was of course decided that separate is inherently unequal. I tend to agree with the Supreme Toy Court. I don't hold one type or one company's product above another so why display them that way? I buy what I buy because I have some basic like of the product so I should display that by showing them all together.

The only restrictions I have are I keep Marvel separate from DC; Star Wars separate from Joes; and 6" separate from 3 3/4". It's a fairly basic setup, and only because I had so many already set up, do I keep DCD separate from DCUC - if I had started collecting both at the same time, I'd have merged them together.

This is going to get interesting. Well I put whatever I want where I want because I paid for it and it's my sh!t.I keep DCSH/DCUC together because they ARE the same ad for ixing anything with them besides those. I don't if you want to you can because it's your sh!t you paid for it and nobody has any right to tell you different.

It's not going to get interesting because you know who I'm asking to refute this subject and it's obvious this is one bone he can't chew on. To be honest this subject should be a non issue but the bullies and the ignorant have been coddled long enough. You hear me DAWG, I'm calling you out! WOOOOOOOOOF!

Me thinks the Big Dawg is yanking all of your chains. He doesn't really care how you display your stuff, he is just having a little fun.

Did you see his earlier comments? It may have been the most ridiculous thing you ever read but he's not jerking any chains. He's dead serious. Look, I opened this up for debate so there's no reason why he can't come here and provide robust argument and intelligent debate.

I'm sure he'll be here to defend his position at any time. If he doesn't then we all know that's he's more bark than bite. Man I love these dog metaphors.

For a time I used two tall bookcases with glass doors. Each shelf was kept for one series or group; one shelf had my Joes, one TF's, one for DCSH, etc. It was easy to do this because similar sized figures made shelf spacing uniform. I did group together like subject matter though. All Marvel figures were kept together, although all I ever had were ML. Now I've got a slightly different set of conditions. I sill group them together by subject, but also by size. I've got Masterpiece Prime, Megs, and Starsceam next to my Sideshow Van Helsing and Snake Eyes.

Brown vs. The Board of Mattel was of course decided that separate is inherently unequal. I tend to agree with the Supreme Toy Court. I don't hold one type or one company's product above another so why display them that way? I buy what I buy because I have some basic like of the product so I should display that by showing them all together.

I would love to get a glass case to show off the "crown jewels" of my collection. Alas, I'm am restricted to banging multiple holes in my wall until I find the stud. Then I get to hang shelves I bought at Home Depot.

This is how I have my room set up:

One Bookshelf with:

Transformers

Top Shelf: Movie Line

Second Shelf: Classic/Universe/G1 [yes I have G1 (Soundwave n Cassettes and Insecticons) mixed in with my Classics]

Third Shelf: Titanium Figures

Fourth Shelf: Beast Wars Era

Next Bookshelf with:

DC Direct

Top Shelf: Justice League/Society Figures (mixed series)

Second Shelf: Green Lantern Corps/Sinestro Corps figures, Superman Series (ala Brainiac 13 series, Return of Superman Series, Last Son series), Batman Hush series, Teen Titans

Third Shelf: Crisis On Infinite Earths/Infinite Crisis Figures, Earth 3, Kingdom Come Figures, Elseworlds (This would be my Multiverse Shelf lol

Fourth Shelf: Mixture of Villains from several Lines like Justice, ect

Then I have my Dresser:

Marvel Legends

X-Men Figures

Another Bookshelf w/Actual books in it lol

DCSH/DCUC on the Top

My Closet shelves w/

Marvel Legends/Select/Spidey Classic (yup I got em mixed too, but there is a reason to the madness always)

Classic Avenger, New Avengers, Spider Classics, Ghostrider (ahh no we see why I mix up my Select figures) with, Johnny Blaze and Danny Ketch version, Blackheart, MS Mephisto (ahh understand now?), Fantastic Four , Adam Warlock n MS Thanos (ahhh see?)

My Desk

MOTU 2002 Series on one side and MOTUC on the other side

My Desk @ work (yup I got mi desk at work decked out too lol)

Sota Street Fighter 2 figures, God Of War, McFarlane NBA figures.

My Comp @ work with forgive me I forgot the Name but something like Superhero Squad Transformers...

N more to display...

I only collect Flash action figures so it would be kind of hard to separate them. So I have no problem with combining different lines.

Line 'em up by height? Separate them by 'secret' identity? Pre-Crisis/post-Crisis? ^_^

This is how I have my room set up:

One Bookshelf with:

Transformers

Top Shelf: Movie Line

Second Shelf: Classic/Universe/G1 [yes I have G1 (Soundwave n Cassettes and Insecticons) mixed in with my Classics]

Third Shelf: Titanium Figures

Fourth Shelf: Beast Wars Era

Next Bookshelf with:

DC Direct

Top Shelf: Justice League/Society Figures (mixed series)

Second Shelf: Green Lantern Corps/Sinestro Corps figures, Superman Series (ala Brainiac 13 series, Return of Superman Series, Last Son series), Batman Hush series, Teen Titans

Third Shelf: Crisis On Infinite Earths/Infinite Crisis Figures, Earth 3, Kingdom Come Figures, Elseworlds (This would be my Multiverse Shelf lol

Fourth Shelf: Mixture of Villains from several Lines like Justice, ect

Then I have my Dresser:

Marvel Legends

X-Men Figures

Another Bookshelf w/Actual books in it lol

DCSH/DCUC on the Top

My Closet shelves w/

Marvel Legends/Select/Spidey Classic (yup I got em mixed too, but there is a reason to the madness always)

Classic Avenger, New Avengers, Spider Classics, Ghostrider (ahh no we see why I mix up my Select figures) with, Johnny Blaze and Danny Ketch version, Blackheart, MS Mephisto (ahh understand now?), Fantastic Four , Adam Warlock n MS Thanos (ahhh see?)

My Desk

MOTU 2002 Series on one side and MOTUC on the other side

My Desk @ work (yup I got mi desk at work decked out too lol)

Sota Street Fighter 2 figures, God Of War, McFarlane NBA figures.

My Comp @ work with forgive me I forgot the Name but something like Superhero Squad Transformers...

N more to display...

Wow that's really diverse. I used to have a lot of those things. I believe those Transformers are called Robot Heroes.

In the end there just damn toys come on men theres no wrong way or right way threads like this make me sick really just another way to start crap on these boards. If you can't have a post with anything good to say please judt don't say anything at all. you do your collection the way you want to and keep your mouth shut.

I have dcuc and dcd right next to eachother and even my marvel studios 12 inch figures with my dcuc and dcsh.

In the end there just damn toys come on men theres no wrong way or right way threads like this make me sick really just another way to start crap on these boards. If you can't have a post with anything good to say please judt don't say anything at all. you do your collection the way you want to and keep your mouth shut.

I have dcuc and dcd right next to eachother and even my marvel studios 12 inch figures with my dcuc and dcsh.

Three things:

1. Since it's of such importance that I explain myself to you you should know that I've wanted to hear other people's ideas on the subject for a while now. This came at an opportune time.

2. I kept my mouth shut until a week ago when some joker told us we were doing everything wrong. Then he ruined another conversation with the same b.s. Whatever you want to call it, invitation, calling him out, whatever, this is an open topic but I guess you can't defend the indefensible. I don't start the negative stuff, but I'm happy to call out the people who do and shut them up.

3. This forum apparently isn't that uninteresting or making you too sick because you offered your input. Thanks!

Three things:

1. Since it's of such importance that I explain myself to you you should know that I've wanted to hear other people's ideas on the subject for a while now. This came at an opportune time.

2. I kept my mouth shut until a week ago when some joker told us we were doing everything wrong. Then he ruined another conversation with the same b.s. Whatever you want to call it, invitation, calling him out, whatever, this is an open topic but I guess you can't defend the indefensible. I don't start the negative stuff, but I'm happy to call out the people who do and shut them up.

3. This forum apparently isn't that uninteresting or making you too sick because you offered your input. Thanks!

well i haven't been on in about 2 months because i am sick of all the bickering and nit picking that is so unnessacery. But i do check to see if the adults are acting like adults and not 12 year old children and i spoke up because i am tired of my fav site going to hell because of every ones need to be right all the time and not just enjoying this thing we all like to do which is collect

More people need to check themselves and grow up some. And i am not refering to you but everyone who olny wants to start crap and ruin what i consider the best site for what we do

I don't even separate DC, Marvel, Image, and Dark Horse. I just separate heroes and villains.

Same goes for my Transformers. Good shelf versus Evil shelf.

cool bro ! can you post some pics .. ?

My feeling about the "right or wrong way" to display a collection is this: its like YOU telling ME what MY favourite food is.

Think about how nonsensical that is.

This is really a classic "to each his own" thing, and NO-ONE can do it wrong.

If someone really is blithering enough to tell you that how you display your stuff is wrong, then they probably have a few too many needless rules they probably should re-evaluate in their own life.

Either that, or they need to be slapped upside the head.

When it comes to fun, the only rules are to not hurt anyone else and to have fun--and if you just cannot find it in you to have fun, leave it and go find something else to do.

Life is too short to have some other wienie boss you around at play-time.