DVD vs Blu Ray

By no means am I saying that Blu Ray isn't superior quality but I've started buying Blu Rays now and it got me wondering. Is it worth replacing some movies with Blu Ray or should I just keep the DVD and be happy with it. That being said, what movies are not worth replacing?

• Like 1

Imo, its not worth it. Its not a drastic enough change (like say vhs to dvd or cassette to cd) for me to spend $300 on a blu ray player and then 30 on each movie. when I can get the same movie for half that price on dvd. the only HD things i even care about are sporting events and video games. unless you have a giant tv then you need the hd for the tv channels so they're not all pixleated....but BRD? I see no point. all my dvds look awesome on 37" lcd. and awesome is good enough for me.

If you have the money to burn then buy a blue ray player and blu ray discs. its just another luxury item. dvds are too but they're a cheaper luxury item :) kinda like reading a paper back book or a book in an expensive ebook reader. you get the same thing only ones more expensive and more fun. are you willing to spend even more money on things that are already luxury items? i went with the ebook reader in this case.... so basically is it worth it to you? does the slightly better picture quality matter that much to you?

my theory is that if the world lasts long enough everything will be available through the Internet or something similar. buy and store movies, music tv shows and what have your on computers/ tv... oh wait we do that now nvm... its just going to more widespread once all the technologically challenged old people die... ... ...

I don't own any bluerays, just cuz there is not that much difference to justify the extra costs. The bluray movies are more expensive, and not only that, I'd have to go buy an entire new TV and bluray player just to be able to watch them. You can buy somewhat cheap HDTV's but then you aren't getting the fll experience of HD, and that is just a complete waste if you ask me.

If you have a really good HDTV, then go buy the blueray. You paid the money for the thing, don't bother with the DVD's.

By no means am I saying that Blu Ray isn't superior quality but I've started buying Blu Rays now and it got me wondering. Is it worth replacing some movies with Blu Ray or should I just keep the DVD and be happy with it. That being said, what movies are not worth replacing?
I have replaced over a dozen of my DVDs for Blu Ray. IMO, only the movies that are visually spectacular are worth it, and even then it should be a new movie that was shot in High Def. Movies like Nacho Libre or Me, Myself & Irene are just fine on DVD where movies like Transformers are a must have for Blue Ray.

Two movies I was NOT very impressed with on Blu Ray was 300 and Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow. The films have this artificially aged look the High Def exposes too much.

P.S. : Predator(1987) didn't look all that hot, but Enter The Dragon(1973) was near perfect. Go figure.

Eventually we will have to replace the DVD with Blu Ray like we did to DVD from VHS

i highly doubt that. its not a big enough change. but who knows.

it was more acceptable for me to buy dvds instead of vhs because they were much better quality,(like going from a record to a cd or mp3 file, no pops and white noise ;)) more compact,they last longer and are much more versatile. (i.e ripping dvds onto computers easily compared to ripping a tape onto a computer) blue ray is a step forward in quality but that is it.

where movies like Transformers are a must have for Blue Ray

yeah so you can see just how crappy the digital effects look with live actors... digital effects get better wtih every movie. but i just didn't like them in transformers. (i thought the new terminators digital effects were pretty KA ... all accept a bit of the Arnie fight scene)

No interest in blu-ray. I'd say 40% if not more of people don't even mess with DVD special features and that's one of blu-ray's strongest points.

I'm guessing something truly better comes along before blu-ray ever catches on. Beyond the "Need to have everything new, fancy and now" crowd.

There aren't enough GOOD, inexpensive BR's that make it worth it. Our collection of Blu-Rays is at about 5, I believe. I only get a movie usually between $10-15, unless I reallly think it's worth it and I might spend a little more.

i replace them when i find them for a realy good price. now i replaced some like my fast and the fourius dvd's because i got the buy 2 and get 1 for free option. same with the matrix. matrix is realy awesome on bluray. mostly i will replace them with the big blockbusters. mummy will be the next replacement when the prices go down.

I've been fighting with this for a while now......I have a DvD player from like 1999 and it still works perfectly.....but I'm curious if I should get a Blu-ray or just get a 1080p upconvert DvD player. I would only buy Blu-Rays that are visually awesome, something like Spidey or Watchmen next month. It really doesn't seem worth it.

It's really a tough call, and depends on your overall entertainment experience and what kind of person you are. I, for one, bought a PS3 recently to serve as my BluRay player, and it plays video games. That's cool for me, because I am a bit of a gamer, so the BluRay was thought of as an added bonus (although it's turned out I use my BluRay more than I play games on it). For me, that investment seemed worth it. I am not about to replace almost 1000 DVDs, though. I have only replaced those that I thought were visually pleasing to the eyes. I even bought the new Speed Racer movie. Not because I liked the movie, but because I knew it would look great in HD, and did it ever. I've watched it on an upconverting DVD player, and it looks nice, but not the same as BluRay. There are bonuses for each side. The cheaper price point of DVDs is always a plus. And the quality is not bad by any means. BluRay is more of a viewing experience, and if you like special features, most have a ton. Ultimately, I don't think they are going to replace DVDs any time soon, but BluRay is worth the money if you really like great visuals. That's on you, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I like how blu-ray has better quality but what would you rather do, buy one blu-ray for 30$ or 1 to 2 dvds for 30$. Even if it is only one dvd because it was 20$, you still got around 10$ or more to envest in another movie, which happens to be 1/2 of a 20$ movie, 2/3$ cost of a 15$ movie, or even a 10$ movie.

I hope you can understand what I wrote.

You can buy Blu-rays for less than $30 if you shop online . Most people like the comfort of walking in wallyworld and picking up a movie, so the store price of 29.99 for these movies is a bit much.

Supposedly Wallyworld is selling the Magnavox Blu-ray player for $98.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm like others in that I get Blu-ray when it's affordable; I don't necessarily run out and get the latest releases as soon as they come out. I find it hard to drop twenty-five thirty bucks on a movie, especially if I already own it on DVD, while also considering it will more than likely it will be cheaper later on down the road.

Now I will say this: The difference between Blu-ray and DVD is readily apparent when you have the best player and screen. I saw Transformers playing at a Best Buy store recently, and man...it was so clear and fluid that it looked like you were watching live news coverage of the Autobots fighting Decepticons in the streets. (lol) Seriously, my jaw dropped and I was just mesmerized by the picture quality. I just assumed it was due to the HDTV set and some kind of progressive-scanning Blu-ray player. Anyhow, it was absolutely amazing. Now watching Blu-ray movies here at home on my traditional tube television set, they do look great, and there seems to be more detail in the picture, but DVDs look great as well. As a matter of fact, I'm currently watching Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King on DVD, and it looks great. But I'm tellin' ya, if I had that tv and player I saw at Best Buy, it would be incredible. You can't describe it, and I wouldn't have thought there would be that much difference, but believe me, there is.

Concerning replacing one's DVD collection in favor of Blu-ray though, like others, I have done so, but only for my absolute favorite movies. Even though on my current tv there's not a huge difference, I know someday I will have the optimum set-up that will truly take advantage of Blu-ray technology. I only buy DVDs now if they're super-cheap and/or something I'm desperate to see. For example, I'm currently teaching my yearly unit on the Civil War at school, and my interest is at an all-time high since reading some related material, so I'd been wanting to see some movies as well, specifically Gods and Generals; I had always wanted to see it, but I had never gotten around to it. But the other day, one of my parents at school, who is a huge Civil War buff, was just raving about it, and I had remembered I had recently seen it had been reduced to five bucks at Wal-Mart. So I went and promptly snatched it up along with Gettysburg. Now Gettysburg looks pretty dated (although not too bad), but Gods and Generals (which was great BTW) look pretty amazing on my PS3. Now perhaps I'd like to have these on Blu-ray someday, but for now the regular DVDs sufficed.

Also, something else to consider is the whole "Special Edition" phenomenon. I'm a real sucker for that kind of thing, but there are some great "Collector's Edition" DVDs that I will keep, even though I may get the Blu-ray versions later on. For example, I bought the 20th Anniversary Edition of Robocop on DVD, and it comes in this great metal tin, the picture quality's awesome, and there are some great extras on Disc 2. I bought the Blu-ray version, and it looks great too, but...it has ZERO extras! I was so let down by that. So I'm glad I kept my 20th Anniversary DVD version. I also kept my 007 DVD collection. I may get around to getting them on Blu-ray someday, but...why? The collected series looks great and I'm happy with it for now. Same goes for my Lord of the Rings DVD sets. They're unique enough to keep as keepsakes in and of themselves, especially the extended editions.

For me it all boils down to knowing I will eventually have the optimum set-up for Blu-ray, so I like investing in Blu-ray discs, but only if they're reasonable priced. And I'm still enjoying DVDs too, especially the "Collector's Editions". So I guess I'm straddling the fence so to speak, with an appreciation of both mediums.

• 2 weeks later...

Though Blu-Ray has infinitely superior quality, I still feel as though it is too expensive (Both the disks and the player itself). Ive still been buying DVD's consistently. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've only bought two Blu-Ray disks since the technology came out. And, only because I own a PS3.

I'm like others in that I get Blu-ray when it's affordable; I don't necessarily run out and get the latest releases as soon as they come out. I find it hard to drop twenty-five thirty bucks on a movie, especially if I already own it on DVD, while also considering it will more than likely it will be cheaper later on down the road.

Now I will say this: The difference between Blu-ray and DVD is readily apparent when you have the best player and screen. I saw Transformers playing at a Best Buy store recently, and man...it was so clear and fluid that it looked like you were watching live news coverage of the Autobots fighting Decepticons in the streets. (lol) Seriously, my jaw dropped and I was just mesmerized by the picture quality. I just assumed it was due to the HDTV set and some kind of progressive-scanning Blu-ray player. Anyhow, it was absolutely amazing. Now watching Blu-ray movies here at home on my traditional tube television set, they do look great, and there seems to be more detail in the picture, but DVDs look great as well. As a matter of fact, I'm currently watching Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King on DVD, and it looks great. But I'm tellin' ya, if I had that tv and player I saw at Best Buy, it would be incredible. You can't describe it, and I wouldn't have thought there would be that much difference, but believe me, there is.

Concerning replacing one's DVD collection in favor of Blu-ray though, like others, I have done so, but only for my absolute favorite movies. Even though on my current tv there's not a huge difference, I know someday I will have the optimum set-up that will truly take advantage of Blu-ray technology. I only buy DVDs now if they're super-cheap and/or something I'm desperate to see. For example, I'm currently teaching my yearly unit on the Civil War at school, and my interest is at an all-time high since reading some related material, so I'd been wanting to see some movies as well, specifically Gods and Generals; I had always wanted to see it, but I had never gotten around to it. But the other day, one of my parents at school, who is a huge Civil War buff, was just raving about it, and I had remembered I had recently seen it had been reduced to five bucks at Wal-Mart. So I went and promptly snatched it up along with Gettysburg. Now Gettysburg looks pretty dated (although not too bad), but Gods and Generals (which was great BTW) look pretty amazing on my PS3. Now perhaps I'd like to have these on Blu-ray someday, but for now the regular DVDs sufficed.

Also, something else to consider is the whole "Special Edition" phenomenon. I'm a real sucker for that kind of thing, but there are some great "Collector's Edition" DVDs that I will keep, even though I may get the Blu-ray versions later on. For example, I bought the 20th Anniversary Edition of Robocop on DVD, and it comes in this great metal tin, the picture quality's awesome, and there are some great extras on Disc 2. I bought the Blu-ray version, and it looks great too, but...it has ZERO extras! I was so let down by that. So I'm glad I kept my 20th Anniversary DVD version. I also kept my 007 DVD collection. I may get around to getting them on Blu-ray someday, but...why? The collected series looks great and I'm happy with it for now. Same goes for my Lord of the Rings DVD sets. They're unique enough to keep as keepsakes in and of themselves, especially the extended editions.

For me it all boils down to knowing I will eventually have the optimum set-up for Blu-ray, so I like investing in Blu-ray discs, but only if they're reasonable priced. And I'm still enjoying DVDs too, especially the "Collector's Editions". So I guess I'm straddling the fence so to speak, with an appreciation of both mediums.

I am assuming you talking about the Samsung LED 240 hz TVs... I didnt know the hz made that much of a difference until I saw Tranformers on my friends TV... I was blown away...

Uh...I'm assuming too. (lol) I have no idea really, but yeah...that's the reaction I had when I saw Transformers playing at Best Buy; it was absolutely unbelievable. I was completely mesmerized, and my wife had to keep dragging me away from it. (lol)

• 3 weeks later...

No interest in blu-ray. I'd say 40% if not more of people don't even mess with DVD special features and that's one of blu-ray's strongest points.

I'm guessing something truly better comes along before blu-ray ever catches on. Beyond the "Need to have everything new, fancy and now" crowd.

agreed. while a handfull of movies do look quite a bit nicer (TF, watchmen, the new pixar/disney films) not enough of a difference to warrant the excess cost. i almost never watch the special features...i could care less about comentary. just as you said, something else newer and better will be out before BR really catches on. i got my dvd player in 1997-98 and it has performed like a champ without any issues for all these years...i use the crap out of that thing too. come to think of it, all of my panasonic items have lasted and performed well throught the years.

I LOVE bluray. LOVE IT.

to me, there is a substantial difference. And it is well worth it to me. But let me explain that a bit.

I have never been one to buy many DVDs. I just don't watch the same movies often enough to warrant purchasing them usually. However, We do have a lot of DVDs, but the ones that we bought are usually kids' movies (because they will get lots of play) or cheap movies on sale at holiday time.

I have had a PS3 since it came out, and I haven't purchased very many blurays (again, because I don't buy DVDs in the first place). They are too expensive to buy at 30 bucks, but I have done it for a few of my favorites, or epic movies, or movies that deserve the enhanced quality...

I don't think I would replace any DVDs that I already have with bluray discs because it just isn't worth it for most of them. Like someone already said, I would do it for the movies that deserve it, like Starwars and Disney Classics etc.

My solution, which I recommend to everyone, is to buy a bluray player, and rent bluray movies. It works for me great because I never needed to own every movie I watch. I have NETFLIX, and it is awesome. For 15 bucks a month, I get AS MANY movies I want, 3 at a time, including bluray discs. You can get more or less, depending on how much you want to spend and how often you watch movies.

Last month I watched something like 18-20 bluray movies for 15 bucks. You can't buy a new DVD for that cheap usually.

So I do this, and I still buy the movies that are important to me. All on bluray.

And get the PS3 for 300 bucks now.. you will get the best gaming system ever, and a top notch bluray player.