Sucks About International JLU 3 Packs

A_Spidey_Fan

A couple of days ago, TNI posted this news in reguards to International JLU fans from Mattel:

- http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=10&itemid=14558

Apparently, there was never a offical topic made for this on this message board(Which I found odd, because a topic of just about any news is made shortly after it's posted as official news on the TNI site, at least to my knowledge), so I decided to make a topic about it. 1st off, it's good that the JLU Singles are going to still be showing up in international markets. I actually saw them yesterday at Toys R Us in Canada for around $10.00. Not happy about the price to be honest, because back in 2006-2007, the singles were around $7.00. For more info about my sighting here, I posted more info on the Canada secton of the Areas And Sightings section, and here's a link to it:

- http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?s=&am...&p=16570527

While I'm somewhat okay with the JLU Singles(Though I think it sucks that it looks like they are really short packaging everyone else except Superman and Batman), it's the report of the upcoming International verisons of the 3 packs that really peves me off. Now, I've been a fan of the 3 packs myself, for it allowed me to really get a couple of characters in a good value(I'm usually selective on my 3 packs by the way). But this news is kind of turning me off. Why must the International 3 packs all have Both Superman And Batman in them? Can't they offer diversity? Isn't that what the concept of JLU toyline was all about when the show was changed from JL to JLU? Wasn't that the reason for the 3 packs in the 1st place? Doesn't make sense, even if it's to try and get parents to buy for little Timmy if all 3 packs have the same 2 characters. And I think it goes against the whole concept that this is a "Fan Collection" line now(As stated in the bottom packaging).

I mean, I can maybe accept a few 3 packs having both Batman and Superman every now again. For example, 3 pack with Darksied, either a Superman/Batman/Brainaic Powered Darksied, or a Super Powers theme 3 pack: Superman(With "S" sheild on back of cape and maybe brighter colours)/Darksied in Blue and grey/Classic Batman(Adam West colours and theme). Any 1 of these 2 I would buy. I would also consider a re-release Justice Lords 3 pack with Justice Lords verisons of Sups/Bats/WW(Missed out in the Yellow style packaging. Don't recall seeing the Purple style in Canada. Didn't get the Target Exclusive Lords with 3 villians 6 Pack when Toys Toys Toys had them only because I didn't have the money at the time for it). But don't expect me to buy a bunch of 3 packs if they are all going to include both Superman and Batman. Even if they did do legit/comic book/battle damage/interesting but good looking deco colour choices/other media variants costumes of these 2 characters, it may still be somewhat difficult for me to get excited for the 3 packs.

What I liked about the pervious 3 packs(Both the 2006-2007 and Target Exclusive verisons), was the diversity, and while some 3 packs may have had 2 or all 3 figures being ones you may have had before, there were others that were either entriely all new, or just had 1 figure you may already have. Plus, I'm sure the 3 packs are helpful in customizers, and those looking for different options in getting figures(Like me in the latter reguard).

Those in the U.S. who complain about the GL/Fire/Ice 3 packs? If those came to Canada, I'd buy it in a heartbeat(So long as it's the Bald John Steward with Goatee head, not the 1st GL head). If they still offered the Batman/Black Carney/Joker 3 pack in the DCUC style packaging, I'd pick that up too, since I really wanted that 3 pack when I 1st heard of it, and it never came to Canada. The upcoming 3 packs of General/Waller/Batman, and the Batman Beyond 3 packs, I'd get those too. But it looks like I won't because of the way Mattel decided to handle this Internationally. I think this is a slap to International fans in the face. I wonder, did Target have a hand in this, to make sure that the line is still exclusivly unique for their stores in the U.S., or was this a really bad decision by Mattel International?

Oh, and to make matters worst, because the back packaging of the 3 packs are all the same with no pictures of what other 3 packs to get, even if I wanted to pick up a bunch of various Superman/Batman/1 of a # of different characters 3 packs, there's no way for me to know what the other 3 packs look like for each wave. Do they all come with the exact same Superman and Batman in the same deco's or are there any differences(Battle damages, different colours, costume looks, etc)? What are the other options of characters in the 3 packs if I want to buy a whole collection of the Batman And Superman With 1 Character 3 packs?

That's how I feel. Wondering what any of you guys(Especially International collectors of this line) think of this?

Just forget about this line. Mattel keeps claiming that JLU is for kids and they need to include Superman and Batman so that parents will see familiar faces when they pick up the JLU packs. The JLU show is now over and I don't think kids will be wanting anymore of these figures. Why can't Mattel just respect the collectors once in a while, especially international collectors.

cjflan32

Cloud did your country not get any of the three packs? Just curious.

I can some answer this. In Canada, the 3 packs did show up in 2005-2007. 2005's Blue packaging I remember seeing in Comic Book stores, Toys Toys Toys, and Toys R Us. Maybe Wal-mart as well. I only remember the early/Spring and middle/summer waves coming out at that time(Summer/Middle waves were very limited. The Target Exclusive 3 packs of that year, only saw at Toys Toys Toys). If there was a later/Fall wave(I don't remember), it never came to Canada.

2006's Yellow style packaging 3 packs was only avaliable at Toys R Us, and some Comic Book stores, but we only got the Spring/earlier and middle/summer wave figures(Wave 1 I guess it would be call. This is the Wave with the GL 3 pack, Justice Lords Bats/Sups/WW pack, Legion Of Doom 3 pack, Martian Manhunter 3 pack, Sups/Aquaman/Female Dr. Light, etc). The later/Fall wave 3 packs and singles(Examples: Batman/Huntress/Atom 3 packs) never came to Canada.

A few of 2007's Purple style packaging was really only sold in Wal-marts, and a few Comic Book stores(Limited #'s in comic book stores. Some showed up early in 2008. Once sold, they were gone). The later wave/Fall wave 3 packs never either never showed up in Canada, or maybe half have showed up in Comic Book stores(Example: Never saw Batman/Black Carney/Joker wave, but I did see the 3 pack with Darksied).

When the line became a Target Exclusive in 2008(AKA: Yellow DCUC/"Fan Collecton" style packaging), they've never showed up in Canada at all. No where. While there will probably be 3 packs in this style packaging, they won't be the same as the Target Exclusive 3 packs.

I'm constantly amazed at how a company can mistreat not only its own toy line but the fans who are willing to support it. Can they do anything more to make this line even more undesirable? I say this as someone who's been there from the start and even just bought the Legion 4 pack.

Over and over, at every opportunity, every time we, the fans, have said, "Hey! That's cool. I'd like to get that!" Mattel has done something to get us to NOT buy. Here this line is lying on the ground with a sword sticking out of its side bleeding all over the place. We, the fans, want to run over to help it, but Mattel keeps holding us back.

Canada's one thing. When it comes to collecting America and Canada have a lot in common. But if the sets we have here are clogging up the shelves they'd probably clog up the rest of the world. Who knows, I don't pretend to have any answers.

I'm constantly amazed at how a company can mistreat not only its own toy line but the fans who are willing to support it. Can they do anything more to make this line even more undesirable? I say this as someone who's been there from the start and even just bought the Legion 4 pack.

Over and over, at every opportunity, every time we, the fans, have said, "Hey! That's cool. I'd like to get that!" Mattel has done something to get us to NOT buy. Here this line is lying on the ground with a sword sticking out of its side bleeding all over the place. We, the fans, want to run over to help it, but Mattel keeps holding us back.

I've had zero problem finding Mattel products at retail. Found the exclusives with little fuss. Got over the Hal Jordan thing by buying an extra Classic John Stewart body and a custom head sculpt. I don't say this to brag I say this because Mattel isn't doing anything to say "don't buy this". This line has gotten a very generous extension and the fact that they sell anything at all at this point is a miracle.

I'm sorry about the troubles international collectors have but if it was really profitable to give international buyers the same stuff Americans get then it would be no contest, you'd get the same stuff. Despite the ramblings our our leaders American businesses still believe in capitalism.

I still think Canada's the exception. Can't figure that one out.