'G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra'

Outsiders

So... Yeah i see this is still going.

I'm not sastified about the suits inclusion period, but i think there is a way out and from the negative reaction it doesn't look like we will be seeing them in sequels (or maybe there are more reasons we won't be seeing them in sequels)

But since Stormy has come up a little i thought i'd throw in my two cents. If it's so bad that stormy doesn't wear a mask, then how come it is okay for the baroness? These are not the type of terrorists that are hiding, they are pretty blatant. It's part of their style and who they are. I know a more covert sneak about style of attack would seem more ninja like, maybe he gets to be more ninja like later, here though that's not his goal. They apparently want to get to a good aiming spot and fire at the target. This has to be quick, but not covert, and the Baroness seems in charge. He is a merc following orders. He has an escape route. Even if they get a picture of his face they may not id him and even if they do, so what? could they catch him? Maybe he is confident Cobra is going to win and it's not going to matter.

We really don't know much about stormy yet. I don't know if they are going with a resolute style jealous origin, or if he is brain controlled (which would be more marvel/ddp like as much as i hate to admit it) but he is one aspect i'm reserving judgment on.

I don't really like his custom, but admit it was really hard to translate while maintaining some degree of uniqueness. I prefer his umasked fig without the skirt. Maybe if they had given the suit more texture it would seem less cheesy.

Speaking of outfits, i'm not actually happy with the baroness either. I don't like the "flair" they have added with the buttons, and the large gold buckle. I would have appreciated grey highlights better. Very minor though. I also would have prefered her as a real terrorists for whatever reason, and less of a brain controlled fashion minded lady. But she could still be somewhat redeemed in the film. I'm just very nervous about their take on her.

Oh one more thing, as for some arguments i've seen that ss shouldn't use guns etc... then maybe you fall into another group that things this movie is enough of a Fantasy. That was always one of the more unrealistic aspects of Joe. But some of his figures (JVC wave 1 off the top of my head) have come with guns, and he better believed he used them in nam.

I think it boils down to not knowing much about ANYTHING yet. Al this "discussion" (to be nice) about the pros and cons @firedevil@ of the movie mean little because they are just speculation.

One comment I made in another thread is that this IS a G.I. Joe movie. It has all the "classic" requirments to be so. Go watch some Sunbow to see what I mean (especially the mini serieses (how do you do "series" as plural?).

Well because if I bitched about the movie it would take all day, at least Snake Eyes is spot on. The fact is only a couple of characters in the movie actually look like their cartoon or comic versions. Channing Tatum mr step up as Duke that's hilarious. Maybe he'll break out into ghetto dancing sometime during the movie.

The Joes are a modern army AND this is an origin movie. It makes more sense that the Joes would be in a more "normal" military look. Maybe they get to go for a more "chose your own style" look at the end after they've "proved themselves". Besides, most of the Joes in RAH HAD "realistic" military looks. So that shouldn't really be a surprise.

Duke should have been played by a blonde guy and someone more convincing than street homeboy tatum. Oh yeah acceleration suits are realistic. @loll@

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If/when the Joes attack the underwater base, you don't think they will use the suits?

I'm about 99.9 percent certain they don't. We've seen the shot of Breaker and Scarlett with the windows breaking and water rushing in behind them (looking like they're running out of an exploding/collapsing base)...neither of them were wearing power suits (Reactive armor yes, Accelerator suits no).

I think it boils down to not knowing much about ANYTHING yet. Al this "discussion" (to be nice) about the pros and cons @firedevil@ of the movie mean little because they are just speculation.

One comment I made in another thread is that this IS a G.I. Joe movie. It has all the "classic" requirments to be so. Go watch some Sunbow to see what I mean (especially the mini serieses (how do you do "series" as plural?).

There are things we do know about the movies we can talk about. A large chunk of what we do know is what i don't like! i could very well be surprised about many other aspects of the movie.

We know:

1. G.I.Joe is an international unit now

2. Duke and ripcord are rookie members that get brought on in the film.

3. They use sigma suits (from what we know only one scene)

4. Cobra uses nanotechnology to destroy the Eifel Tower

5. and apparently Control minds

6. CC is in the shadows, Destro appears to be in charge and a major focus of the movie (it seems cobra evolves out of MARS)

7.We know the Joes and cobras selected (HD for instance)

8. We know the cast

9. We know the director

10. We know the designs for the technology (no winged plan, stargate esq troopers and liquid armor)

... wait that looks like a top ten list as to why it's lame.

6. CC is in the shadows, Destro appears to be in charge and a major focus of the movie (it seems cobra evolves out of MARS)

The way that comes off, to me, is that you have a weapons supplier who needs a customer, so, he creates his own customer. What kind of business move is that?

The way that comes off, to me, is that you have a weapons supplier who needs a customer, so, he creates his own customer. What kind of business move is that?

Actually, a very savvy one....

If/when the Joes attack the underwater base, you don't think they will use the suits?

I'm about 99.9 percent certain they don't. We've seen the shot of Breaker and Scarlett with the windows breaking and water rushing in behind them (looking like they're running out of an exploding/collapsing base)...neither of them were wearing power suits (Reactive armor yes, Accelerator suits no).

There is a difference? And, yes, that was a bit of sarcasm.

One of my arguments was that the armor will be poorly done. That is to say that, before, the bad guys couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but will suddenly be hitting perfectly, just to have the bullets bounce off (to show how "cool" the armor is).

Or the other that a guy without armor is more cautious and more likely to use his head.

There are things we do know about the movies we can talk about. A large chunk of what we do know is what i don't like! i could very well be surprised about many other aspects of the movie.

We know:

8. We know the cast

9. We know the director

10. We know the designs for the technology (no winged plan, stargate esq troopers and liquid armor)

... wait that looks like a top ten list as to why it's lame.

There you go. I think we've been focusing too much on just one (or two) aspects. Jmaqc1 is probably right that the suits won't be used through "most" of the movie, I just think they will be used more than he thinks. A question to him is why WOULDN'T they?

Is that, necessarily, a BAD thing? The American military isn't exactly seen in a favorable light and an international team DOES make sense. How much of a "requirment" is a Real American Hero?

That's a common story element. What easier way to "introduce" the audience to the movie world then by introducing the main characters to it? The problem is that Duke has always been "team leader" in some way so it makes no sense to introduce the character that way. If he's not "team leader" then he's not Duke, in a way, right? And if he is, then that makes even less sense to put the new guy in charge.

--

That's the MacGuffin. Is it any different from the Weather Dominator, ther Terminal Ignition Transmitter, the Ion Attractor or disguising rockets as fast food franchises. Synthoids anyone?

That's straight from the comics. Who gest mind controlled?

This plot element seems weird to me. In the comic, didn't Destro form his own army because he got tired of Cobra not being able to get things done? It seems more like they are going with "Terrorist" Destro then with "Arms Dealer" Destro.

What's to discuss?

8. We know the cast

Eew. I"m not impressed so far.

9. We know the director

Is he a good one?

No winged plan?

There you go. I think we've been focusing too much on just one (or two) aspects. Jmaqc1 is probably right that the suits won't be used through "most" of the movie, I just think they will be used more than he thinks. A question to him is why WOULDN'T they?

*Sigh*

There are a multitude of reasons why they might not use them. First and foremost being that they might not survive the scene they're initially used in, at least not in a functional form, and may not have replacements on-hand.

Is that really so difficult for people to conceive of?

90 percent of the whining about the suits and how they "ruin" G.I. Joe (They make them "too powerful"/"make it too easy for them" blah blah blah) are essentially negated if:

A: The suits don't prevent them from stopping Cobra from destroying the Eiffel Tower...which we already know they don't. The Joes fail their Paris mission. The Joes remain "the underdog" at that point despite the presence of accelerator suits.

B: The suits aren't a factor in the final "defeat" of Cobra (Which we can reasonably infer they aren't). They don't need the suits to defeat Cobra/stop their plan. The skill and ingenuity of the Joe team is therefore not "downplayed" in favor of "Whee Super-suit!" The suits are a tool that ultimately doesn't help them much.

and

C: The suits don't survive to the end of the movie. (Making it less likely to see them in a sequel).

I also highly doubt the "reactive armor" suits are going to be portrayed as nearly as "uber" as some think, or that they'll make the Joes act any more or less unrealistically than oh, say, most other action heroes in movie history. If you're going into this movie expecting an accurate portrayal of tactical military combat, then I'd say just skip it, because it's not what you're going to get.

PS: As for the whole "Cobra develops out of MARS" bit...does that really make so little sense? It certainly has a lot more credibility that a corporation with its' own private army and manufacturing capability could morph into Cobra rather than a random assortment of scum magically assembling salesman to form a well-trained, well-organized terrorist army with seemingly limitless manpower and resources. I might also note...Cobra Commander pulling the strings behind the scenes and forming Cobra right under Destro's nose...basically by stealing Destro's company from him? To me, that's pretty awesome for Cobra Commander. For once it makes him look like the more competent one in the relationship.

Pretty shrewd actually. That's how a lot of government organizations work, where FIRST they need to "create" the need for their "services" then they exploit the people in need of it. Drug dealers, politicans, labor unions, the ACLU and Al Sharpton seem to fit that despcription fairly well. ^_^

G.I.Joe: Rise of Cobra Director Fired?!?

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=15287

Lowest test score from an audience, in the HISTORY of paramount? @loll@

Apparently..."audiences" are a little sharper than they're given credit for? Instead of over thinking what a NEW audience might want, why not just make a good movie...PERIOD?

G.I.Joe: Rise of Cobra Director Fired?!?

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=15287

Lowest test score from an audience, in the HISTORY of paramount? @loll@

Apparently..."audiences" are a little sharper than they're given credit for? Instead of over thinking what a NEW audience might want, why not just make a good movie...PERIOD?

Wow!

Some folks might want to wait to gloat until this is confirmed by something other than a random message board post with zero sources that's now been deleted.

Gah!! So does this mean it won't happen after all?! Good grief, what a mess...

Oh, it'll happen. If they were going to delay the movie it would have happened by now. Whether this is true or not (and we have zero confirmation either way from any credible sources), Paramount is going to attempt to salvage whatever they can from the $170 million dollars they devoted to the film. It'll get released, almost certainly on the already-assigned date, and then we'll find out if the cries of "guaranteed failure" turn out to be true.

I think it all comes down to this one fact, and i know ive said it a million times but G.I.JOE gets NO respect at all ...ever! its the rodney dangerfield of the toy world. from action figures to cartoons to now..movies. the powers that be just plain dont care about it. if it has anything to do with GI JOE they will f@ck it up everytime!

TM

You a federal agent is this true??

Seriously, I don't think anything posted on Dumb Murphy's forums can be taken as gospel. The guy himself is a hack job and he had nothing but venom to spit at TF fans before the first Bay movie came out in 2007. I remember those days vividly! @firedevil@

It would have been nice if well, I dont know maybe if some one WOULD HAVE READ THE COMICS!!!!!

Chip

That makes too much sense though. Why would Hollywood ever use logic like that? ^_^

Hollywood's logic is that Ben Hur was a good book, but the time period and all that silly horse and chariot racing wouldn't appeal to a new age audience, so we'll change the title to Ben Him and make it about a persecuted and wrongly convicted poor half Black half Mexican kid, who saves the wardens life in a prison raid, the warden adopts him, gives him a White sports car for a present, gets into street racing in the hood, and finds his ol childhood playmate who sold him out and had him toss in juvie prison, and has the race of the century.

BEN HIM

BEN THERE...DUNN THAT

i blame the negitivity of the fans. they #$#@# so much they pretty much put salt all over it. but reading this http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=15289 proves it just negitive bullshit created by the media cus they seem to want joe to faile. hmmm.... *shifty eyes* facists.

Rush Limbaugh doesn't like Obama's POLICIES and hopes they fail, and the MEDIA repeats it as he wants OBAMA to fail or even worse...he wants our COUNTRY to fail!! :rolleyes:

Now TMNTFAN85 reads that the G.I.Joe movie (he's going to love and support "NO MATTER WHAT!!") is receiving a very poor reception from test audiences, and he's spreading conspiracy theories that the MEDIA and b!tchy fans are to blame for it, and claiming it's all because we want G.I.JOE to fail???

@hmmm@

paranoid much?

*Sigh*

There are a multitude of reasons why they might not use them. First and foremost being that they might not survive the scene they're initially used in, at least not in a functional form, and may not have replacements on-hand.

Is that really so difficult for people to conceive of?

90 percent of the whining about the suits and how they "ruin" G.I. Joe (They make them "too powerful"/"make it too easy for them" blah blah blah) are essentially negated if:

A: The suits don't prevent them from stopping Cobra from destroying the Eiffel Tower...which we already know they don't. The Joes fail their Paris mission. The Joes remain "the underdog" at that point despite the presence of accelerator suits.

B: The suits aren't a factor in the final "defeat" of Cobra (Which we can reasonably infer they aren't). They don't need the suits to defeat Cobra/stop their plan. The skill and ingenuity of the Joe team is therefore not "downplayed" in favor of "Whee Super-suit!" The suits are a tool that ultimately doesn't help them much.

and

C: The suits don't survive to the end of the movie. (Making it less likely to see them in a sequel).

I also highly doubt the "reactive armor" suits are going to be portrayed as nearly as "uber" as some think, or that they'll make the Joes act any more or less unrealistically than oh, say, most other action heroes in movie history. If you're going into this movie expecting an accurate portrayal of tactical military combat, then I'd say just skip it, because it's not what you're going to get.

PS: As for the whole "Cobra develops out of MARS" bit...does that really make so little sense? It certainly has a lot more credibility that a corporation with its' own private army and manufacturing capability could morph into Cobra rather than a random assortment of scum magically assembling salesman to form a well-trained, well-organized terrorist army with seemingly limitless manpower and resources. I might also note...Cobra Commander pulling the strings behind the scenes and forming Cobra right under Destro's nose...basically by stealing Destro's company from him? To me, that's pretty awesome for Cobra Commander. For once it makes him look like the more competent one in the relationship.

So the point of having them is what then? Run around Paris?