'G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra'

Outsiders

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Storm Shadow firing a rocket launcher doesn't say "G.I. Joe" to me.

I only say this to those that hate what is coming in August.

.......I agree.

I never thought I would hear myself say it, but I agree. Accelerator Suits? #WTF#

The Movie looks to be a decent Sci-Fi flick, but since when do JOES need "Accelerator Suits" ?

I am very leery of this Transformers meets Spider-man take on our beloved heroes.

G.I.Joe was never about super-exo-skeleton suits that make you like the X-Men.

That's not what I want, but I'm going to get it anyway.

Storm Shadow firing a rocket launcher doesn't say "G.I. Joe" to me.
Why is it that big of a deal?

Do I really need to explain why? ;)

The only time I believe SS has used a firearm in any incarnation was in Marvel comics during the Vietnam flashbacks. That's why it's wrong to me. It's not the only thing that bugs me about this flick though.

nay sayers and haters can talk all the #$@# they want this movies's gonna freakin rock!

@hmmm@

Why do you find it necessary to be so hostile towards G.I.Joe fans that have a different opinion (than yourself) about new product....including a MOVIE? "Haters"???

We criticize art, entertainment and pieces of plastic all the time. You lose your cool and decide to rip into us, over it, and yet you still think you're taking the "high road" thinking you're being a better (more loyal) "fan" than any of us for it?

:rolleyes:

Joey bag-o-donuts TNI member #1...posts "THIS MOVIE IS GOING TO SUCK!"

Joey bag-o-donuts TNI member #2...posts "OH YEEEEEAH?? YOU SUCK!!"

So please explain to me again WHO the "naysayer & hater" is in this kind of back and forth?

nay sayers and haters can talk all the #$@# they want this movies's gonna freakin rock!

@hmmm@

Why do you find it necessary to be so hostile towards G.I.Joe fans that have a different opinion (than yourself) about new product....including a MOVIE? "Haters"???

We criticize art, entertainment and pieces of plastic all the time. You lose your cool and decide to rip into us, over it, and yet you still think you're taking the "high road" thinking you're being a better (more loyal) "fan" than any of us for it?

So please explain to me again WHO the "naysayer & hater" is in this kind of back and forth?

eh, theyre just close minded and hate changes, sometimes to enjoy a movie you have to be open minded to accept it. i am. and all i'm doing is support the film. i did the same for star trek--turn out to be the best star treek ever. i'm not saying i put down 'opinions' i'm just continuing to be cool with this movie. besides...like i said this is't the old foggies GIJOE this is the kids (new generation ) GIJOE the story of gijoe and cobra is still the same just changed a lil bit. which i'm alright. hell baroness called them 'a real american heroes' i'm surpirse no one's mention this yet. hell it be bad ass if they mention the adventure team in the film.

@hmmm@

eh, theyre just close minded and hate changes,

You're still trying to paint all the fans with objective opinions as "hateful" and that their opinions are unwarranted (in your opinion) and therefore only the opinions of "close-minded" fans.

sometimes to enjoy a movie you have to be open minded to accept it. i am. and all i'm doing is support the film. i did the same for star trek--turn out to be the best star treek ever. i'm not saying i put down 'opinions' i'm just continuing to be cool with this movie.

I guess when I go to see a movie, I've already had the presence of mind ("open mind") to decide that I want to see it. Now I have to feel guilty about deciding NOT to see certain movies because I have a CLOSED mind, instead of just having a personal preference or opinion of my own about what looks like it might be good or might suck?

Being habitually "cool" with everything G.I.JOE does not make you a more open minded individual, nor a superior fan of the franchise, as a matter of fact, it makes you non-objectional period.

besides...like i said this is't the old foggies GIJOE this is the kids (new generation ) GIJOE the story of gijoe and cobra is still the same just changed a lil bit. which i'm alright. hell baroness called them 'a real american heroes' i'm surpirse no one's mention this yet. hell it be bad ass if they mention the adventure team in the film.

Thanks for crapping on us "old foggies" who loved G.I.Joe since it's original incarnation (that's me) with the equivalent of "silly rabbit...tricks are for KIDS" line. :rolleyes: Not that I think that makes me special in any way, but I would at least hope it warrants me something a bit more than a "step aside gramps, your opinions aren't sh@# to us anymore" type attitude out of new fans..?

You brought up Adventure Team Joes....well if that ain't OLD school I don't know what is, but this movie is G.I.JOE based on it's ARAH era of the 80's and I'm already COOL with that (just as I was originally with it, even as a "old foggie" AT Joe lovin' kid who grew up to even love the whole ARAH thing they did with them) so I don't know why that mythos has to be changed a whole lot to still be cool with the young and hip crowd of people that likely don't even know who the f@#k Snake Eyes is? @haha@

I guess we should be happy that THEY'RE the ones who Hollywood is trying to impress, with a G.I.Joe movie though...huh? <_<

The Movie looks to be a decent Sci-Fi flick, but since when do JOES need "Accelerator Suits" ?

Since it's not 1982 anymore. The movie can't just pander to old school fans. I wish that movie could be made, but the bottom line is that the movie producers and Hasbro need to watch their bottom lines. They are money making (hopefully for their sake) companies after all.

Since it's not 1982 anymore. The movie can't just pander to old school fans. I wish that movie could be made, but the bottom line is that the movie producers and Hasbro need to watch their bottom lines. They are money making (hopefully for their sake) companies after all.

Makes you wonder why they even took on the project of making a movie about those cool little toys from the 80's at all, if it's such a risk as is and has to be re-written and changed for a more modern audience?

If I was to make a movie about Jesus, I wonder if I should pander to the "old school fans" of the old worn out story, or go for something cutting edge and make up some different stuff to relate to todays generation of...on the fence fans? I mean, a straight up movie adaption of a popular story, that enough people seemed to like well enough to even warrant the thought of doing it at all, is out of the question because of a "bottom line"??

I guess I don't really understand any of that.

okay.. that's all well and good... but who the heck thinks that accelerator suits are better than RAH?

I mean is there anything that says a true GiJoe film would be less accepted by mass audiences?

If you are catering to a mass audience, then they don't know anything anyhow, so real GiJoe stuff would suit them just fine... they won't be saying "wow, here is a movie about something that I don't know anything about... but I wish they changed it to another thing that I don't know anything about."

I will never understand the argument about changing source material for a mass audience. WHy can't the mass audience just get the source material?

The very best comic movies have been the ones that have had the least changes. period. I don't think it is a coincidence.

okay.. that's all well and good... but who the heck thinks that accelerator suits are better than RAH?

I mean is there anything that says a true GiJoe film would be less accepted by mass audiences?

Yes, there is: The relative lack of success that G.I. Joe has suffered in the intervening years.

Comic book characters are a timeless pop culture presence. There's always something popping up that's relatively close to their roots (Animated Series, movies, the comics themselves, video games, whatever...). Other franchises survived by continually reinventing themselves (Transformers, which arguably was the prototype for the present day boys' toy market).

G.I. Joe hasn't reached that level, no matter how many people try to claim otherwise. It's basically reduced to a punchline in present day pop-culture. It's a "knowing is half the battle" joke, or a "Cobra Commander as head of the FCC on Family Guy cameo" or "Village People fighting terrorists parody" on Venture Brothers.

The RAH mythos lost its' luster and its' popularity with the general populace. Even with the "resurgence" of the 25th anniversary it's a pale shadow of its' former self. Unlike Star Wars, which maintained a strong degree of popularity even in its' 10 year absence from toy shelves, G.I. Joe simply didn't maintain that buzz. For whatever reason. Possibly because it's very much a product of its' times. It's probably no coincidence that the decline of RAH G.I. Joe closely paralleled the fall of the Soviet Union in terms of timeframe. There was a brief boost of "Gulf War Mania" and then it fizzled out completely.

That implies (To Hasbro and Paramount) that it needs to change and modernize to attract a new audience. More importantly, it needs to distance itself from current conflicts and real-world politics along the way. They seem to have chosen to do this by emphasizing the sci-fi and fantasy aspects of the franchise.

Alienating the fans of the ARAH 3.75" line, and original 12" figures, who made the brand of G.I. Joe popular enough to be made into a live-action movie isn't a good way to attain success and reinvigorate the name.

besides...like i said this is't the old foggies GIJOE this is the kids (new generation ) GIJOE the story of gijoe and cobra is still the same just changed a lil bit. which i'm alright.

Reminds me of the press release when they introduced Sigma Six and that line is now dead.

hell baroness called them 'a real american heroes' i'm surpirse no one's mention this yet. hell it be bad ass if they mention the adventure team in the film.

Obviously it's suppose to be an homage to the hardcore fans, but that line by her has me confused as the movie's description of G.I. Joe states:

post-5537-1244001038_thumb.png

Yes, there is: The relative lack of success that G.I. Joe has suffered in the intervening years.

Comic book characters are a timeless pop culture presence. There's always something popping up that's relatively close to their roots (Animated Series, movies, the comics themselves, video games, whatever...). Other franchises survived by continually reinventing themselves (Transformers, which arguably was the prototype for the present day boys' toy market).

G.I. Joe hasn't reached that level, no matter how many people try to claim otherwise. It's basically reduced to a punchline in present day pop-culture. It's a "knowing is half the battle" joke, or a "Cobra Commander as head of the FCC on Family Guy cameo" or "Village People fighting terrorists parody" on Venture Brothers.

The RAH mythos lost its' luster and its' popularity with the general populace. Even with the "resurgence" of the 25th anniversary it's a pale shadow of its' former self. Unlike Star Wars, which maintained a strong degree of popularity even in its' 10 year absence from toy shelves, G.I. Joe simply didn't maintain that buzz. For whatever reason. Possibly because it's very much a product of its' times. It's probably no coincidence that the decline of RAH G.I. Joe closely paralleled the fall of the Soviet Union in terms of timeframe. There was a brief boost of "Gulf War Mania" and then it fizzled out completely.

That implies (To Hasbro and Paramount) that it needs to change and modernize to attract a new audience. More importantly, it needs to distance itself from current conflicts and real-world politics along the way. They seem to have chosen to do this by emphasizing the sci-fi and fantasy aspects of the franchise.

Your argument doesn't hold any water because we haven't seen RAH since probably 1991 (I am not counting the neon/spring loaded era because that wasn't RAH, that was Hasbro trying to meet the popularity of Ninja Turtles and other wacky crap).

You want to say that GiJoe hasn't been popular... I say that is more because of the terrible toys that have been produced since then. (the 25th stuff is the only NEW thing that has been ANY good since the original line ended in the early 90's). PLUS a general decline in the popularity of all action figure lines.

Also, the themes and storylines that came out haven't been any good.. Valor vs Venom was rediculous, Spytroops were a joke, and Sigma Six was so far from anything from the 80's... You can't possibly blame the lack of GiJoe's popularity on the RAH of the 80's. The RAH of the 80's hasn't been seen since the 80's, so how can you say it has failed??

And what they are making now in ROC seems to resemble Sigma Six (which just failed miserably) more than anything else we have seen from GiJoe.

This movie could have totally been done being more true to RAH, and it would have been just as, if not more successful... as of now, it is being called a joke before it has even been released by everyone who gets a glimpse at it.

You are just arguing against popular opinion because that is what you like to do.

eh, theyre just close minded and hate changes,

Have you guys heard about the new x-men movie? Yeah turns out regular mutants are boring. Also they may not be politically correct, i mean, being a mutant isn't exactly popular. So now rather being born with these powers, in the new take the U.N. is going to spend a large amount of cash and clone the perfect soliders to battle Sabertooth and his evil brotherhood! Don't worry fans, Magneto is still around, but a wwII survivor? no way! new fans can't relate to that, he is going to be a super aged clone gone evil. He will be in the background pulling the strings. Oh and btw, Jean can't love Cyclops the hot-headed rookie, or even wolverine (the smug, suave leader of the team) Her man? Beast, the funniest Green monster you've ever met and Cyclops best friend!

Am I makingmy point at all? is anything getting through here? I could also point to the new G-force movie... Alterations and updates aren't always a bad thing, but when you remove what it was at it's core and just attach a name, it's not the same thing.