'G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra' Clip: Attack On Paris Clip

JayC

This clip confirmed I'm gonna hate the movie!

BOOOOO !!!

Firefly, or Scrap-Iron, or Metal Head, should be the one to shoot a missle at the Eiffel Tower! Not Storm Shadow!

Not to mention the ridiculousness of Storm Shadow in public without his mask. WTF ???

Man, those Accelerator suits look worse and worse everytime they show new views of them.

Well, I'm already very skeptical about this thing but here are a couple of observations based on this clip...

1) Maybe this is still raw unpolished footage... I'm trying to give this thing the benefit of the doubt..., but there's something very cheap looking about it. I'm talking Sci-Fi Channel cheap!

2) Why this clip? There's nothing about this clip that is suspenseful or enticing. Of the entire movie, why release this seemingly random scene?

3) I've said this before but I've always hated when movie studios tackle a comic book...or toy...based franchise and immediately toss out established character designs because they don't think they will look credible in a live action feature only to replace those designs with something that is dull but equally ridiculous and conspicuous!

4) Those Halo suits look cheap and horribly out of place. I think somewhere along the line they gave up on making a GI Joe movie and started pulling stuff from everywhere...Iron Man, Matrix, anything!

@hmmm@ Ughhh...I'm trying to keep an open mind because I really don't want to hate the movie for the sake of hating it (like some people here), but those robocop suits are really bringing me down. I still like the Baroness and think she may be a highlight of the movie. I'll just focus on that.

did baroness have like scars on the side of her face at the end?

well... this clip only shows that the Accelerator suits are going to play a MAJOR part in the movie, which I believe most of us were hoping would not be the case.

I just can't fathom who thought of these suits or why they thought that they would be a good idea... (I guess it is most likely Transformers' fault).

Anyhow.. this movie shouldn't be called GiJoe: The Rise of Cobra.

it should be called

Sigma Accelerator Suits: featuring GiJoe.

well... this clip only shows that the Accelerator suits are going to play a MAJOR part in the movie, which I believe most of us were hoping would not be the case.

No, this clip confirms that the Accelerator suits are going to play a part in the Paris sequence, which has always been the only sequence they really are used in. The other hour and 45 minutes or so of the movie (assuming it's two hours long) is without them.

BOOOOO !!!

Firefly, or Scrap-Iron, or Metal Head, should be the one to shoot a missle at the Eiffel Tower! Not Storm Shadow!

Not to mention the ridiculousness of Storm Shadow in public without his mask. WTF ???

There's only room for so many characters in a movie. If you tried to cram every single Cobra and Joe character into the film, you'd end up with Resolute...where you see dozens, but only a handful actually matter. Then everyone would be complaining that "<insert name here> didn't do anything!" Plus, then you have nobody to introduce in a sequel.

Storm Shadow without a mask bothers you? Seriously? Because you see people walking down the street in ninja masks all the time where you live? Nevermind that Storm Shadow has never really had a "secret identity" to begin with. It's not like he's Bruce Wayne or something. Nor is it like he's been particularly bashful about taking off his mask in the comics.

No, this clip confirms that the Accelerator suits are going to play a part in the Paris sequence, which has always been the only sequence they really are used in. The other hour and 45 minutes or so of the movie (assuming it's two hours long) is without them.

BOOOOO !!!

There's only room for so many characters in a movie. If you tried to cram every single Cobra and Joe character into the film, you'd end up with Resolute...where you see dozens, but only a handful actually matter. Then everyone would be complaining that "<insert name here> didn't do anything!" Plus, then you have nobody to introduce in a sequel.

Storm Shadow without a mask bothers you? Seriously? Because you see people walking down the street in ninja masks all the time where you live? Nevermind that Storm Shadow has never really had a "secret identity" to begin with. It's not like he's Bruce Wayne or something. Nor is it like he's been particularly bashful about taking off his mask in the comics.

The accelerator suits don't have to be used in the majority of the movie for them to be a major part of the film. It's pretty clear that they are being used in the most important, or one of the most important parts of the film.. I haven't read the script, but maybe even the climactic act. Think of Ironman.. he was Tony for the vast majority of the film, but the parts where he wore the Ironman armor were the most important and what everybody remembers.

As for there only being so much room for so many characters. BS. Think Starwars, how many characters were in those movies? It would have been completely doable, and cool, for Destro or Baroness to make a phone call, simply saying something like "NOW!".. cut to Firefly (who doesn't even have to be mentioned) shooting the missile. He could be in just that Cameo, and it would be great.... I give you Boba Fett.. how much screen time did he ever have? still good enough for the fans. There is no reason they can't use all the characters they want to... it's just bad writing on their part.

The accelerator suits don't have to be used in the majority of the movie for them to be a major part of the film. It's pretty clear that they are being used in the most important, or one of the most important parts of the film.. I haven't read the script, but maybe even the climactic act. Think of Ironman.. he was Tony for the vast majority of the film, but the parts where he wore the Ironman armor were the most important and what everybody remembers.

It's not the "climactic act." It's basically the first part of the second act. You could make an argument for any part to be "one of the most important parts of the film." Yeah, they're marketing the accelerator suits heavily, but they're not in the movie for that long, and probably won't be back for a potential sequel (because they're uncomfortable as hell for the actors and expensive to animate). The marketing is misleading, but it also serves a purpose: This movie isn't a "generic military movie." If it were just a bunch of people running around shooting guns, that's all the non Joe-fan audience will get from it.

As for there only being so much room for so many characters. BS. Think Starwars, how many characters were in those movies? It would have been completely doable, and cool, for Destro or Baroness to make a phone call, simply saying something like "NOW!".. cut to Firefly (who doesn't even have to be mentioned) shooting the missile. He could be in just that Cameo, and it would be great.... I give you Boba Fett.. how much screen time did he ever have? still good enough for the fans. There is no reason they can't use all the characters they want to... it's just bad writing on their part.

Star Wars? You're seriously going to use Star Wars as an example? Sure, there are lots of characters in Star Wars...but exactly like the Resolute example above, there are only a handful that matter. Especially when you factor in Star Wars is a six-movie saga and G.I. Joe is (presently) one two-hour film. Boba Fett is a flawed example because Boba Fett fandom exists BECAUSE of the movie, not because he was popular before the movie existed (and nevermind that he didn't appear in the first movie nor the first prequel). Reducing Firefly to a cameo gets all the Firefly fans saying "Damn, they totally wasted him, he should have done more." Nevermind that the scenario you present pretty much cuts out the entire Paris action sequence entirely.

Please, by all means explain how you would write a movie that includes every G.I. Joe and Cobra character in meaningful roles, while keeping it down to two hours or less, and still having a coherent plot. You can't, because there are too damn many. Providing one example is straw-manning the argument. Nevermind the very real point of "saving some things for the sequel."

Once you've written accepted Hollywood screenplays, you can talk about "bad writing." There's nothing in the "good writing" column that says "You must include every character that ever existed in a franchise." In fact, such efforts usually end up screwing things over (Street Fighter, X3, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, anybody?) This is the script for one film in what's supposed to be a franchise. Firefly is probably a shoe-in for a sequel. Just like Flint and Lady Jaye on the Joe side.

It too Hasbro a good 10 years to introduce and develop all the RAH-era characters (and even then the vast majority of them have received little to no real development or use aside from appearing in the background or as an action figure), but you want Paramount to do it in 2 hours? Yeah...right.

Anyhow.. this movie shouldn't be called GiJoe: The Rise of Cobra.

it should be called

Sigma Accelerator Suits: featuring GiJoe.

I was thinking more along the lines of...

DEF COMEDY JAM meets TEAM AMERICA?

This G.I.Joe movie looks to measure up to the ARAH mythos about as much as Marky Mark and his funky bunch of acting talent, measures up to Charlton Heston, in a Planet of the Apes remake?

The ARAH mythos was always going to be a difficult transition to live action, and unfortunately...I'm not seeing anything to suggest that they've pulled it off with THIS attempt.

I'll wait for it to come out on DVD so I can have a bottle of wine and some crackers to go along with the CHEESE fest. @haha@

I would have wished for more characters in the movie, but not at the expense of a bad script. I saw X:3 and it was horrible because they tried to fit too many characters in an hour and a half movie. A focus on a lesser number of characters for me at least means that there is POTENTIAL to develop them...Having said that, I am hopeful but skeptical about this movie.

I am hopeful but skeptical about this movie.

I think that's the feeling all of us share....as fans of G.I.Joe.

We WANT it to be successful and "cool" but we're doubtful (and picky or demanding) over whetehr or not this is what we think will do the trick for us. Everyone is different i nthat aspect, so some are going to be pleased and others will not.

I don't like much of the current trend in Hollywood right now to begin with, so I'm going to be unimpressed with most everything they're crapping out right now, and the kind of G.I.joe movie that would have impressed me, should have been made 20 some years ago, about the time Predator, Aliens and Terminator were being made.

The young and dumb actors of today just don't do it for me, especially in terms of representing REAL American Hero's.

Eminem might as well be in this movie from what I can tell? <_<

Aliens, Predator, and Terminator were all "R" rated films though, and G.I. Joe was/would never be an R-Rated film. Hasbro simply wouldn't allow their two-hour toy commercial to not be available to the kids. You're right about few people upholding the "action star" standards of the 80's though. Aside from the Rock and maybe Vin Diesel, they simply don't make those kinds of movies anymore (Though Stallone is still plugging away).

I do agree wholeheartedly with your earlier "cheesy" comment. The main difference being that I feel that G.I. Joe has been cheesy all along. Even in Hama's run (though certainly it was the most "toned down" of the bunch), definitely in the cartoon, and now in the movie. EMBRACE THE CHEESE! You know you want to....

Mmmm, Cheese.

Star Wars? You're seriously going to use Star Wars as an example? Sure, there are lots of characters in Star Wars...but exactly like the Resolute example above, there are only a handful that matter. Especially when you factor in Star Wars is a six-movie saga and G.I. Joe is (presently) one two-hour film. Boba Fett is a flawed example because Boba Fett fandom exists BECAUSE of the movie, not because he was popular before the movie existed (and nevermind that he didn't appear in the first movie nor the first prequel). Reducing Firefly to a cameo gets all the Firefly fans saying "Damn, they totally wasted him, he should have done more." Nevermind that the scenario you present pretty much cuts out the entire Paris action sequence entirely.

Please, by all means explain how you would write a movie that includes every G.I. Joe and Cobra character in meaningful roles, while keeping it down to two hours or less, and still having a coherent plot. You can't, because there are too damn many. Providing one example is straw-manning the argument. Nevermind the very real point of "saving some things for the sequel."

Once you've written accepted Hollywood screenplays, you can talk about "bad writing." There's nothing in the "good writing" column that says "You must include every character that ever existed in a franchise." In fact, such efforts usually end up screwing things over (Street Fighter, X3, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, anybody?) This is the script for one film in what's supposed to be a franchise. Firefly is probably a shoe-in for a sequel. Just like Flint and Lady Jaye on the Joe side.

It too Hasbro a good 10 years to introduce and develop all the RAH-era characters (and even then the vast majority of them have received little to no real development or use aside from appearing in the background or as an action figure), but you want Paramount to do it in 2 hours? Yeah...right.

So you are telling me the movie would have suffered from having Firefly shoot the missile in a cameo role instead of Stormy?

I just can't agree with that.

I never said that they have to develop him or any of the other characters fully... I am saying that they could put anybody in there that they want to, and they can. Simply in the background if necessary.. fans would know who they were, other people wouldn't notice or care.

I aint saying they should shoehorn in all of the characters and give them important parts... but when a part comes along where it would make sense to use a character, why not? For all we know Cobra has CC, Destro, Baroness, Zartan, and Stormy.. that is 5 Cobras. I don't think having a 6th character make a cameo would throw everything out of wack.

And I don't see why you are defending the characters, their development, or RAH history when you consistently say that Hollywood doesn't need to respect the property for the masses.

face it, GIJOE will change through the centuries. since 1964 they were soldiers, inthe 70's adventurers, in the 80's they changed again to being 3inch figures, fighting terrorist, 2005 8inch joes for sigma 6 and now rise of cobra. basicly a line built for for the new generation rather than the 20 year old 30 year old collectors. time for some new blood really. same goes for star trek and starwars clone wars.

me i'm gonna support the movie no matter what. as i mention on all joe forums.

face it, GIJOE will change through the centuries. time for some new blood really. same goes for star trek and starwars clone wars.

@hmmm@

That's funny....didn't the NEW Star Trek movie (you loved) have..ummm, characters like KIRK? Spock? McCoy? Uhura? and the ENTERPRISE?

Sounds like old blood to me.

That's fantastic! I can't wait for your next post of "support....no matter what"!

face it, GIJOE will change through the centuries. time for some new blood really. same goes for star trek and starwars clone wars.

@hmmm@

That's funny....didn't the NEW Star Trek movie (you loved) have..ummm, characters like KIRK? Spock? McCoy? Uhura? and the ENTERPRISE?

Sounds like old blood to me.

That's fantastic! I can't wait for your next post of "support....no matter what"!

Wow Vh, that was a stinger of an argument. I have to admit confused feelings over it though as my favorite Trek was DS9, followed by TNG. The new movie was pretty good though. The Main reason they had to do it was simple, people knew the names. They had to go back to their roots and do it in a way that didn't anger the fans (enterprise anyone?) They seemed to have mostly pulled it off too. They understood it was them who left what was compelling and lost fans. They didn't go further off in that direction to become something else, they decided to remember what made Star Trek great in the first place.

Star wars will always have the basic premise as well, Jedi vs. Sith aided by heroes vs. troopers (both w/ guns) and featuring some muppets. Add Robot super suits to the Jedi i'd say the Fury of us joe fans, would pale in comparision. It would probably be simliar to comparing the ocean to a rain drop.

Aliens, Predator, and Terminator were all "R" rated films though, and G.I. Joe was/would never be an R-Rated film. Hasbro simply wouldn't allow their two-hour toy commercial to not be available to the kids.

I understand that, and the "R" rating those films earned was due to language and violence or gore. I still think the above movies play well on network TV, even with those moments edited out.

You're right about few people upholding the "action star" standards of the 80's though. Aside from the Rock and maybe Vin Diesel, they simply don't make those kinds of movies anymore (Though Stallone is still plugging away).

That's always been my biggest contention with this G.I.Joe movie, and it's the cast. These actors just don't appeal to me, as they should, for something I'm so attached to. It's like they've tried to take all the "reality TV" rejects of Rock of Love, Flavor Flav, The Real World, Road Rules, The Hills, I love Money, Survivor....and make a MOVIE with all of them?

They totally missed the essence of Baroness (as I think of her) and just made her a young coniving b!tch that could have come from any episode of Reality TV where they throw all these women together and watch them go at it, trying to see who is the slutiest or glamourous or worthy of Bret Micheals LOOOOOVE? :rolleyes:

I do agree wholeheartedly with your earlier "cheesy" comment. The main difference being that I feel that G.I. Joe has been cheesy all along. Even in Hama's run (though certainly it was the most "toned down" of the bunch), definitely in the cartoon, and now in the movie. EMBRACE THE CHEESE! You know you want to....

Mmmm, Cheese.

^_^ True!

I've always been doubtful of a live action movie version of G.I.JOE, just for this very reason.

VH, you can't stand it that some people are going to like this movie no matter what. Geez if you have so many issues with it just DON'T WATCH IT!!!

Shut up and let us enjoy which is pretty much the only thing we are going to get in terms of a live action GI Joe movie!!!

That said, this movie looks BALLER!!!

I am glad they are keeping the characters to a bare minimum...um Street Fighter anyone? Firefly is too awesome of a character, on par with SS and SE, and to have him do a 3 second cameo is a waste! So no it is done properly with SS doing the dirty!

ON with the accelerator suits, well, GI Joe is supposed to be cutting edge right? Well its 2009 so cutting edge isn't little laser pistols and prosthetic arms, its robotic suits and chemical warfare!! Get with it, GI JOE was always about future weapons so don't be a douche!

And with SS not wearing a mask....UM...dude he is SS, he can show up in some Depends and he would still be bad a$$!!!

People like VH just want to whine and whine because haters have nothing better to do!

STFU and enjoy the flick or retreat to your little world and pretend the movie doesnt exist!