DCUC wave 10 confirmed yet?

Cmdr_Y

Big Dawg.. wow..

at the risk of not calling you a racist.. that post was rather.. "color centric".

while I am not one to object to ANYONES personal feelings... I certinly would have pre-read that before posting it so that it didnt come off so, completly , well, RACIST. @grumpy@

I recently had this discussion with another DCUC collector about the African-american figures in the line & feel that IF Mattel put them in there JUST to be affirmitave-action, it would be more obvious. I.E Vixen, John Stewart..

All of the AA characters they have used are nessesary to the waves they are doing. none are obvious plants to balance the "color" .

Black Lightning WAS a member of the JLA at the time the figure was planned. Cyborg is a prime Titan. the JSA wave, Mr Terrific was a great choice. yes, the argument can be made I have made it, there are other figures I would RATHER see..

but seriously..you dont HAVE to collect the "colored figures" i'm sure the C & C pieces that come with them can be found on Ebay. :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx. I like that look of Static I differenlly want a DCU figure of him. Like his new looks a little bit better then his Cartoon counter part.

I hate to break it to you but the Static figure will be based on the cartoon.

Thx. I like that look of Static I differenlly want a DCU figure of him. Like his new looks a little bit better then his Cartoon counter part.

771435-00_large.gif

hey as long four horsemen do it I dont care

... I certinly would have pre-read that before posting it so that it didnt come off so, completly , well, RACIST. @grumpy@

How was my post racist?

Can't we have an honest acknowledgement of who's been selected for these waves and who hasn't without the "R" word being thrown around?

As to my original point, do the math...DC probably has about a thousand white super-heroes. They have maybe ten black ones. How do we get through fifty percent of all their black characters if their isn't a conscious agenda to do so?

Big Dawg.. wow..

at the risk of not calling you a racist.. that post was rather.. "color centric".

while I am not one to object to ANYONES personal feelings... I certinly would have pre-read that before posting it so that it didnt come off so, completly , well, RACIST. @grumpy@

I recently had this discussion with another DCUC collector about the African-american figures in the line & feel that IF Mattel put them in there JUST to be affirmitave-action, it would be more obvious. I.E Vixen, John Stewart..

All of the AA characters they have used are nessesary to the waves they are doing. none are obvious plants to balance the "color" .

Black Lightning WAS a member of the JLA at the time the figure was planned. Cyborg is a prime Titan. the JSA wave, Mr Terrific was a great choice. yes, the argument can be made I have made it, there are other figures I would RATHER see..

but seriously..you dont HAVE to collect the "colored figures" i'm sure the C & C pieces that come with them can be found on Ebay. :)

Exactly, if you don't want Static but want the BAF piece, just sell Static on Ebay or buy the BAF piece loose on Ebay. Mattel isn't forcing you to display the figure on your shelf.

Also, modern Firestorm is a variant, it would've been stupid of them not to make both versions. And Mr. Terrific is awesome, and not even the most obscure character in his wave.

Hey I don't mine the cartoon look either. I was just saying he looks cooler in the comics then on the cartoon. I would still get him.

... I certinly would have pre-read that before posting it so that it didnt come off so, completly , well, RACIST. @grumpy@

How was my post racist?

Can't we have an honest acknowledgement of who's been selected for these waves and who hasn't without the "R" word being thrown around?

As to my original point, do the math...DC probably has about a thousand white super-heroes. They have maybe ten black ones. How do we get through fifty percent of all their black characters if their isn't a conscious agenda to do so?

i really didn't want to get into this but im going to try to keep it simple so try to follow me!

for whatever reasons mattel chooses their character choice doesnt really matter we as collectors want them all in a perfect world. if they chose to make black characters to attrack more black collecters so be it its a business move who cares. buy it or dont buy it.

now getting to you. your reasons for not wanting static is because hes black and you want them to put a more popular white character in place of him and not because hes not as populr as say your whie counterparts. personally i dont care for a static either but not because hes black but because i dont care about the character. can you understand the difference.

remember anytime your reasons for not liking someone because of color that would be racism and you state your reasons are because hes another black character that they're doing

DUDE YOU NEED A CHECK-UP FROM THE NECK-UP

[

now getting to you. your reasons for not wanting static is because hes black and you want them to put a more popular white character in place of him and not because hes not as populr as say your whie counterparts. personally i dont care for a static either but not because hes black but because i dont care about the character. can you understand the difference.

Nowhere did I EVER say that I disliked Static because of his race.

I did say that I disliked him because he was created specifically to fill the role of a black super-hero. This is not due to his race. This is due to the fact that there's nothing more to this character other than a list of cliches and since he was created "race first" he reads as a very hollow, flat character. I would feel the same way no matter what race or gender this character was if that race or gender was the primary reason for the character to exist.

I have nothing whatsoever against the blacks. I don't care about the blacks at all!

[

I did say that I disliked him because he was created specifically to fill the role of a black super-hero. This is not due to his race. This is due to the fact that there's nothing more to this character other than a list of cliches and since he was created "race first" he reads as a very hollow, flat character. I would feel the same way no matter what race or gender this character was if that race or gender was the primary reason for the character to exist.

I have nothing whatsoever against the blacks. I don't care about the blacks at all!

" I dont care about blacks at all!" foot in mouth syndrome anyone?

[

So...do you have a problem with Gorilla Grodd? Being a gorilla is clearly his main reason for existing. Or Martian Manhunter...a stereotypical "little green man" character. Or Kid Flash and all the kid sidekick characters made to copy Robin.

[

So...do you have a problem with Gorilla Grodd? Being a gorilla is clearly his main reason for existing. Or Martian Manhunter...a stereotypical "little green man" character. Or Kid Flash and all the kid sidekick characters made to copy Robin.

"i don't care about blacks"

i dont think he gets that the statements he makes are racist in themselves and to be able to say such things makes you wonder about him.

i dont think he gets that the statements he makes are racist in themselves and to be able to say such things makes you wonder about him.

Totally out of context. I guess "indifferent" is a better word? I have no negative feelings about any race. In fact, I don't live near any races so what would I have against them?

I think everyone understands what I'm saying here but its always fun to get up on high horses and be the first to yell out "Racist." Race has nothing to do with my dislike for Static other than tokenism seems to be a pretty poor, uncreative reason for creating a character and that's just what we have with him. In fact, Static is the worst kind of tokenism because he is so unimaginative in everything else about the character.

On the other hand, you look at Victor Stone. While being a cyborg may not be an entirely fresh new idea, everything about this character was interesting, likable, and made you want to learn more. In fact, Cyborg's race was absolutely inconsequential. It just happened to be who he was. That's they way it should be.

Then other then you why is it that everyone on here wants Static. We've been wanting him for so long. I have Cyborg and if and when they make John Stewart and hope one day make Black Volcan I would have 4 black DC Characters. So it's fine if you don't like Static but there is alot on here that do and glad that Mattel is going to make him.

Then other then you why is it that everyone on here wants Static. We've been wanting him for so long. I have Cyborg and if and when they make John Stewart and hope one day make Black Volcan I would have 4 black DC Characters. So it's fine if you don't like Static but there is alot on here that do and glad that Mattel is going to make him.

#US1#

Totally out of context. I guess "indifferent" is a better word? I have no negative feelings about any race. In fact, I don't live near any races so what would I have against them?

I think everyone understands what I'm saying here but its always fun to get up on high horses and be the first to yell out "Racist." Race has nothing to do with my dislike for Static other than tokenism seems to be a pretty poor, uncreative reason for creating a character and that's just what we have with him. In fact, Static is the worst kind of tokenism because he is so unimaginative in everything else about the character.

On the other hand, you look at Victor Stone. While being a cyborg may not be an entirely fresh new idea, everything about this character was interesting, likable, and made you want to learn more. In fact, Cyborg's race was absolutely inconsequential. It just happened to be who he was. That's they way it should be.

no it is not. Listen to youself "tokenism" look somebody from dc had an idea for a show and like all shows they decided that this character was going to be black and there you have it. you are the first person who has a problem with the static because his history. all of dc big guns were created to be white durring a time when there were no black heroes should we dislike batman because he was devloped with the idea that he was white afterall he is rich and we all no there were not many if any rich black folk in the 40's. or superman whos home planet had "omg" no black people on it. we can argue the point all day long and most of us will come to the conclusion that you are racist.

P.S.

its probably because you are not exposed to any other race that you are all you see is what is on tv and the news

#US1#

Weeeeelllll, not exactly everyone. While I think BD should have not answered the question, ergo opening up a can 'o worms, I'd rather not see Static either. At least, not yet. But my reason would be a bit different. I love that the key word in the title of this line is 'Classics'. And, with an exception here and there (like Robin - WTF?), they've done pretty well sticking to that.

Static, for me, is like Black Lightning's sidekick. And as modern as the Robin they put out. Relatively.

As this line is labelled 'Classics', I would have thought Black Vulcan would be a more appropriate choice over Static. But then, he would also have been a more appropriate choice than Black Lightning as well. As far as the term 'classic' goes.

Essentially, in my eyes, the alleged slot for Static could be better used in complying with the theme of the rest of the line. And there are puh-lenty of 'color'-ful characters that could have been in his place, who are 'classic'. (Latino - Vibe or Fire, Asian - Dr. Light, etc...)

Eventually, I would like a Static character. And an Icon. But I think in the theme of the line, it is too early for them, same as Red Arrow, Damage, etc. Thing is, the line has to last a long time before we get to those characters.

Classics is just a name,just like Legends for Marvel. Alot of the ML figures weren't "legends". So I wouldn't read too much into it.

I accept your opinion, but the way it was portrayed by Mattel had a stress on 'classic'. There were (are still) puh-lenty o' questions about releases, like W1 Batman, GL, etc, where people asked why not the more modern uniforms, and Mattel's response was exactly as I spelled it out - Classics first. Obviously there are deviations, which is a bit confusing. Most notably, Robin. He should have, by definition, been the boy wonder look. But then you have not-so-recognized characters, like Adam Strange, with whom it does not matter so much.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, while I liked the Static character, especially when he got to intermingle with others from the DCU in his show, I just don't think it's his time yet.

As for 'legends', I pretty much feel all superheroes are legends. So the fact that Marvel used that in their banner title should not be considered restrictive. Even the lowliest among these guys (Ambush Man? Toad?) should be considered 'legends'. 'Classics' just narrows it down to a particular frame of time, like the 'History of the DCU' does.

Classics is just a name,just like Legends for Marvel. Alot of the ML figures weren't "legends". So I wouldn't read too much into it.

I accept your opinion, but the way it was portrayed by Mattel had a stress on 'classic'. There were (are still) puh-lenty o' questions about releases, like W1 Batman, GL, etc, where people asked why not the more modern uniforms, and Mattel's response was exactly as I spelled it out - Classics first. Obviously there are deviations, which is a bit confusing. Most notably, Robin. He should have, by definition, been the boy wonder look. But then you have not-so-recognized characters, like Adam Strange, with whom it does not matter so much.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, while I liked the Static character, especially when he got to intermingle with others from the DCU in his show, I just don't think it's his time yet.

As for 'legends', I pretty much feel all superheroes are legends. So the fact that Marvel used that in their banner title should not be considered restrictive. Even the lowliest among these guys (Ambush Man? Toad?) should be considered 'legends'. 'Classics' just narrows it down to a particular frame of time, like the 'History of the DCU' does.

I also see where you are coming from of classics but then how did Batman Beyond came in this line then. He is no way in the trum [ms] a classic.

I also see where you are coming from of classics but then how did Batman Beyond came in this line then. He is no way in the trum [ms] a classic.

Batman Beyond was another WTF? I didn't list them all.

Ya know.. I feel its important to point out that, until the OFFICIAL list is given on July 23rd, this talk of "STATIC" is just speculation.

I know, the "unnamed reliable source" may very well prove to be accurate, but until its OFFICIAL, its all still hearsay.

lets all hold off on the "burn Static" until the San Diego Comic Con, when Mattel can give us the FINAL WORD on wave 10. Wave 11, I'm sure, will have to wait till 2010 Toy fair.

in the meantime.. I dont think it hurts if we give our own "wish lists" :)

my personal top 5:

5 John Stewart ( speculation?? fact??.. I WANT ONE!!)

4 Kyle Rayner ( I really prefer his first costume.. but at this point.. I'll take any)

3 Donna Troy ( Wonder Girl or her current costume... makes no difference to me)

2Conner Kent ( Kon-El) Superboy

1 any & all members of the Legion (obvious? )

Mattel is actually saving some costumes because these characters can carry a wave. I.E Hals modern costume was not used as a variant so that they could use it to carry a wave in the future,they are going with the most popular or most recognizable costume,like Black Lightning,or the new Robin costume(wich was used because he is wearing that costume currently in comics and my appeal to current comic readers),they are going on a character to character basis and deciding what would be better on shelves. We will see a good mixture of classic and modern throughout the line and I welcome both. I do want a classic Grayson robin and red and green Tim Drake.