The dumbest thing(s) you've ever done: GI Joe related

yojoebro82

Mine are, in no particular order:

Traded a mint complete Night Force Shockwave for a complete v1 Scarlett.

Got rid of my Sky Patrol Havok

Banged my head onto a shelf with my Palisades Zartan and Crimson Guard statues which came crashing down, shattering them into worthless junk.

Share!

Umm... back in the day, sold all my loose Joes dirt cheap for rent money? Yeah, I'm REALLY regretting that now!

That, and allowing my parents to 'clean house' with the rest of my collection (vehicles, etc). Hopefully they at least gave it to Goodwill or something, not just the recyling plant!

In my defense, that was a point in my life where I thought I was 'over' collecting toys. Who'd have thought a lone DC Direct Superman figure would pull me back into it?

hey ares , same situation , only i got pulled back in by my son getting a toys r us double pack back in 2000 before that though a street fighter blanka was all over my moms house i couldnt get rid of that thing to save my life , maybe it was a sign

Probably the dumbest thing I can think of right off the top of my head it that I sold my absolutely MOMC/MIMSB DTC collection to an online toy store for relatively nothing. *sob* I really wish I hadn't done that. I used to be so proud of that collection... *sniff*

Paid $200 for a Target Hall of Fame Duke, and then 6 months later found 20 of them on a Target store shelf for $14 each.

Don't ask.

That's about the only time a time machine would prove useful without causing a paradox or something!

Yeowch!

OK, this is not my story, but my best friends.. and yes.. I did warn him...

we were in high school, he met the girl he thought was going to make him into a MAN, and so she wouldnt think he was a kid, gave away ALL of his Joes & ALL the vehicles after collecting them for years.

the best part.. she wasnt the one. Yes, she did rock his world for a few years, but then she moved on & he was left with nothing.

enter Ebay. he started to re-collect his entire collection. a few months later, he had everything that he lost including the aircraft carrier & shuttle. then he goes & meets the woman that he will make his wife.

again he considers giving it all away to avoid the woman seeing him as a kid. I carefully tell him that IF she really is the one.. his toys wont make a difference. this time he listens..

today.. his son enjoys the toys & seeing his son with the aircraft carrier & shuttle..makes me very happy!

my dumbest thing was throwing them on the roof of our house.. I think :(

Happy Memorial day, to all the Joes.. plastic & REAL!! #US1#

Paid $200 for a Target Hall of Fame Duke, and then 6 months later found 20 of them on a Target store shelf for $14 each.

Don't ask.

That's about the only time a time machine would prove useful without causing a paradox or something!

Yeowch!

Let's just say I paid $200 to get an "education".

The dumbest thing i can remember was i bought a G.I.JOE HOVERCRAFT filled it with about 20 G.I.Joes and took it to the beach near the ocean pier, tied some fishing line to the front and let it go off shore... little that i know the WAVES were swelling up and the TIDE was coming in.... of course, the WAVES smashed into the HOVERCRAFT and sunk it to the bottom

1+ Hovercraft= $64.00 + 20+ G.I.Joes with Accessories= $4.99 each=$99.08=$164.07 lost...

explanning all those figures being lost to my MOTHER??? "PRICELESS" @smilepunch@

I have all of my Joe toys from when I was a kid except one. The USS Flagg. I got it from a kid down the street for $25. It was missing a few pieces, but most of it was there. Later on, my mom made me sell it to another kid because she said we didn't have room in the house for it. We did have room for it actually.

top places:

Watching the Joe movie trailer ( that was a mistake )

Lighting a Tomahawk with matches to look battle damaged

Burying an Earth quake under some sand... I'ts still there somewhere lol.

Thinking the Flagg could float. (friends Flagg not mine LOL )

Banged my head onto a shelf with my Palisades Zartan and Crimson Guard statues which came crashing down, shattering them into worthless junk.

That one hurt to read. Sorry, brah. :(

I don't have any horror stories like you guys. I took most of mine apart and swapped arms, legs, heads etc. But right before I went to college I spent an afternoon making everyone "normal" again. They are all in a box in the 'rents basement.

Don't ask.

Yeowch!

how is that possibe ? i thought it was an online deal , how were they in the shelves? ..on another note , did you guys know you can find out what store has what in stock , i checked out the target website and found two water moccassins at two diferent locations , thing is I went to both stores and online it said it was there but as other stores said "limited availability " , these said "available" , one store actually had to get the toy aisle guy to go to the back and get it , the other one , well it was too much trouble after the first time ,

Don't ask.

Yeowch!

how is that possibe ? i thought it was an online deal , how were they in the shelves? ..on another note , did you guys know you can find out what store has what in stock , i checked out the target website and found two water moccassins at two diferent locations , thing is I went to both stores and online it said it was there but as other stores said "limited availability " , these said "available" , one store actually had to get the toy aisle guy to go to the back and get it , the other one , well it was too much trouble after the first time ,

I don't think you've understood what I was writing about.

I am referring to the Target exclusive 12" Hall of Fame Duke, produced and sold back in 1991. There were made in an attempt to rekindle interest in the 12" scale of GIJOE at the time ( and it worked), but they were announced ONLY via Target flyers in US newspapers.

Aside from a toy hobby classified-ads newspaper called Toy Traders, there were no toy magazine then, and the Internet was in its infancy/early years.

The Duke figures were not sold on-line, and they were only advertised twice, and Target still managed to sell something like about 250,000 of the figures in 3 successive orders from Hasbro.

I was in Canada at the time, and did not know about this toy, yet was wishing for a 12" "GIJOE" figure in US ARMY "Chocolate Chip" Desert Camouflage uniform--Desert Storm had just taken place prior.

Well, lo and behold, a dealer I knew of In Vancouver at the time, had obtained one of these figures, and waved it under my nose with a price tag of $200.

And I bit.

I didn't know any better, had never seen or heard of anything like this toy before--and there is was dangling in front of me in this scalper's hands.

I was still new to toy collecting then, and I was an easy scalper mark--but like with anything, when I found stacks of the very same figure on a trip to a Target store in Bellingham, Washington, I learned to be a bit more savvy in my collecting.

Like most kids, I sold a good number of my collection to the kids in my hood. It was during my baseball card years!!! What a dumbass!!

Also after keeping all my backer cards complete for so many years, I took the scissors one day and cut out all the file cards!!!If I oculd only go back to warn myself!!!

Damn why won't anyone invent a time machine!!! :D

Like most kids, I sold a good number of my collection to the kids in my hood. It was during my baseball card years!!! What a dumbass!!

Also after keeping all my backer cards complete for so many years, I took the scissors one day and cut out all the file cards!!!If I oculd only go back to warn myself!!!

Damn why won't anyone invent a time machine!!! :D

(Because if you went back to warn yourself, you wouldn't have sold them/cut the cards, and then when it came back to be today, you wouldn't have reason to go back and warn yourself, meaning it would not have happened, and you'd have a paradox...)

But yeah, I get you! I'd sure like a time machine, as well as somehow finding a loophole around that paradox thing!

Don't ask.

Yeowch!

I don't think you've understood what I was writing about.

I am referring to the Target exclusive 12" Hall of Fame Duke, produced and sold back in 1991. There were made in an attempt to rekindle interest in the 12" scale of GIJOE at the time ( and it worked), but they were announced ONLY via Target flyers in US newspapers.

Aside from a toy hobby classified-ads newspaper called Toy Traders, there were no toy magazine then, and the Internet was in its infancy/early years.

The Duke figures were not sold on-line, and they were only advertised twice, and Target still managed to sell something like about 250,000 of the figures in 3 successive orders from Hasbro.

I was in Canada at the time, and did not know about this toy, yet was wishing for a 12" "GIJOE" figure in US ARMY "Chocolate Chip" Desert Camouflage uniform--Desert Storm had just taken place prior.

Well, lo and behold, a dealer I knew of In Vancouver at the time, had obtained one of these figures, and waved it under my nose with a price tag of $200.

And I bit.

I didn't know any better, had never seen or heard of anything like this toy before--and there is was dangling in front of me in this scalper's hands.

I was still new to toy collecting then, and I was an easy scalper mark--but like with anything, when I found stacks of the very same figure on a trip to a Target store in Bellingham, Washington, I learned to be a bit more savvy in my collecting.

bummer dude , i too have fallen victim to scalpers lures , I apologize ,i was misunderstanding the characters

well if it means anything at least in your heart you had a passion for it enough to spend 200.00 so all in all dont see it as getting got , you got something meaningful to you , hope that helps ,

Early on, I would crack open the chest of a (good) figure just to get the O-ring to use on another figure. I don't think I had a proper screwdriver or else the screw was stripped

Also, when I got back into collecting in late 2001, I sold or traded off complete sets of accessories from my 91-94 figures (which were no longer mint anyway). I wish I didn't because I kept everything in great condition and once I decided that a complete collection of figures was a possibilty, it was kinda hard (and much more expensive) to get everything again. Of course, some of the accs. were not in the same condition as the stuff I sold :(

Other than that, I've sold a few things for much less than I could have gotten and paid too much for some things too. But it all evens out ;):)

bummer dude , i too have fallen victim to scalpers lures , I apologize ,i was misunderstanding the characters

well if it means anything at least in your heart you had a passion for it enough to spend 200.00 so all in all dont see it as getting got , you got something meaningful to you , hope that helps ,

Oh, I don't regret it, and didn't regret it at the time.

simply did not know any better.

I was gonzo for a Desert Storm uniform for a GIJOE figure and that is what I paid for. I still have it too!

But being scalped can be a positive thing if the "victim" learns from it. I can say I've never paid that much of a markup on anything I have bought since, and it launched me into a fascination with what's coming down the pike, toy-wise.