Classic RAH Vehicles Question

GreyDwarf

I think I once heard that some places out their "recreate" the decals for classic RAH 80s vehicles. The two questions I have are the following:

1) Is this true and any suggestions on where I should look?

2) Does replacing the decals diminish the value from your perspective?

I don't buy the vehicles for their resale value, however it just seems wrong to pay $60 fro something on Ebay, put new stickers on it and have the value reduced.

Thanks up front for your advice!

1) easiest way to check is to start with a search engine and type " GIJOE Decals", and click search.

http://www.gijoeheaven.com/catalog.asp

once at this site, click on the choose category pulldown menu, and find "Decals, BPs, Boxes and inserts".

http://www.cobrastickers.com/

2) I think that depends upon your perspective. If the original stickers are yellowed, or gummed up, or even badly applied, then new clean stickers would probably make the toy look better and therefore "worth" more.

As ARROW said, try either of those sites. I love www.cobrastickers.com. Their stuff has really helped me with customs and touch ups.

As for the "value." I would agree with ARROW again and say it is up to each individual. Granted, new stickers are not "original" so technically it could be considered incomplete/whatever. However, I can't for the life of me see a downside to new stickers for a vehicle. If the old ones are peeling, yellowing or in the wrong spot, I would happily buy a new set and replace them. The new sets tend to be exact copies, but new so why not?

I would check Ebay and see if you can find any auctions with repro-stickers on a vehicle and see what it goes for. Then compare that to an original stickered vehicle for a price difference. It may not be exactly scientific, but a few auctions like that might give you an idea of whether or not there is a trend one way or the other.

As ARROW said, try either of those sites. I love www.cobrastickers.com. Their stuff has really helped me with customs and touch ups.

As for the "value." I would agree with ARROW again and say it is up to each individual. Granted, new stickers are not "original" so technically it could be considered incomplete/whatever. However, I can't for the life of me see a downside to new stickers for a vehicle. If the old ones are peeling, yellowing or in the wrong spot, I would happily buy a new set and replace them. The new sets tend to be exact copies, but new so why not?

I would check Ebay and see if you can find any auctions with repro-stickers on a vehicle and see what it goes for. Then compare that to an original stickered vehicle for a price difference. It may not be exactly scientific, but a few auctions like that might give you an idea of whether or not there is a trend one way or the other.

Not to mention, if you were to go looking for "original" sticker sheets, its not likely the would still be very useable.

To add to what everyone's said so far, think of the new stickers as a fresh coat of paint on a used car (or house) - it certainly wouldn't hurt the resale value, and more than likely, would increase it.