Anyone getting a lil bit worried??

Lady Jaye

You really dont want Hasbro to get involved with DC. I have stopped collecting 25th GI Joes because it was just to hard to get them from Wal-mart and Target. When you decide to collect somethingby Hasbro or Mattel it is like choosing the lesser of two evils.

Chopz

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really dont want Hasbro to get involved with DC. I have stopped collecting 25th GI Joes because it was just to hard to get them from Wal-mart and Target. When you decide to collect somethingby Hasbro or Mattel it is like choosing the lesser of two evils.

Chopz

Distribution is the responsibility of the retailer, not Hasbro or Mattel.

The Seller and the retailer walk hand and hand. Both can be blamed for distribution issues.

Chopz

Chopz

Distribution is the responsibility of the retailer, not Hasbro or Mattel.

I swear, the topics in this place always seem to get out of hand. I mean, what is this topic anyways? Is Marvel better than DC? Toybiz better than Hasbro better than Mattel? This is getting so played, it's becoming a bit of a parody.

What concrete facts & hard numbers is it based on? It's all speculation & opinion based on what individuals are seeing at their local retailers. It doesn't even come close to presenting an accurate picture of a line "dying", or of how the manufacturer/retailer relation works.

Back in the "golden age" of toys, namely the '80's, you could go to any mass market retailer & find TONS of toys on the pegs of any given line. It certainly was not regarded as "peg warming" or the sign of a line failing. Just because your retailer hasn't sold out, it doesn't mean the line is dying. Maybe the clerk working that aisle is diligent at re-stocking, perhaps you're the only collector around. I mean the possibilities are numerous.

Does anyone really think that Mattel would be showing us pics of new upcoming waves (which are created months in advance, based on hard evidence of succesfull previous sales & full, current pre-orders from various retailers), creating web & con exclusives & paying high amounts to secure the Four Horsemen if the line was dying???

I dont know about Mattel, but hasbro has shown future waves and exclusives and even pre-orders, then canceled the whole thing.

Chopz

I swear, the topics in this place always seem to get out of hand. I mean, what is this topic anyways? Is Marvel better than DC? Toybiz better than Hasbro better than Mattel? This is getting so played, it's becoming a bit of a parody.

What concrete facts & hard numbers is it based on? It's all speculation & opinion based on what individuals are seeing at their local retailers. It doesn't even come close to presenting an accurate picture of a line "dying", or of how the manufacturer/retailer relation works.

Back in the "golden age" of toys, namely the '80's, you could go to any mass market retailer & find TONS of toys on the pegs of any given line. It certainly was not regarded as "peg warming" or the sign of a line failing. Just because your retailer hasn't sold out, it doesn't mean the line is dying. Maybe the clerk working that aisle is diligent at re-stocking, perhaps you're the only collector around. I mean the possibilities are numerous.

Does anyone really think that Mattel would be showing us pics of new upcoming waves (which are created months in advance, based on hard evidence of succesfull previous sales & full, current pre-orders from various retailers), creating web & con exclusives & paying high amounts to secure the Four Horsemen if the line was dying???

It's true, they have cancelled stuff, & nothing is ever safe from an executive decision. That's how these companies work. If they don't see the final dollar sign they're looking for, you'll likely not see any product.

If you look at Hasbro's track record in the last few years, especially since they've had Marvel, they've made a lot of funny "not canceled/canceled/not canceled but repackaged/canceled but web only/etc..." type of decisions that really show where they're at.

All their brands are a mess, & EVERYONE knows what I'm talking about. For god's sake, the 25th Joes were the most successful thing they've put out in years, yet they're deciding now that it's future is based on some "goût du jour" movie. I mean, it's the brand that bloody got them here. INCOMPETENT management if you ask me.

I agree with what you have said here.

Common sense and clear thinking go out the window with enough folks that one begins to wonder if angst and complaining are the new hobby. Sometimes i wonder how the heck some of my fellow posters can enjoy the hobby with all the "fears" they express.

There's a real culture in collecting that has forgotten what collecting is all about: fun.

Its not "collect them all, or your collection means nothing", its not "get it first at any cost so you can have all-important bragging rights", its not " the line is DOOMED, DOOMED I TELLYA, because I saw only ONE Captain Cold on the pegs".

A lot of collectors miss out on the whole point of a collecting community, and they overlook the resources that are available to them.

That and they also ignore or choose to deny the information about "how things work", just so they can validate themselves by complaining.

But I guess that is okay now..........because that is just how some people work.

I can only speak for myself when I say that I enjoy the hobby now, as much as I ever did even though I'm finding stuff less frequently than before. I'm being as patient as ever and the stuff IS making its way to me--even if it takes a little longer.

Its all about the journey, not the destination.

Arrow, I'm one of these "long time listener, first time caller" guys, but I must say that I always thought that you were one of the only voices for reason on this board, & that I agree 100% with your last comment.

It's all about patience & taking time to appreciate what you have. Yes, things are VERY different from retail's heyday, but on the flip side, we're getting some of the best toys we've ever gotten. I love vintage toys almost to a fault, but none can deny how far action figures & such have come, & the great offerings we have the possibility to own.

No matter what, it's an exciting time to be an action figure enthusiast.

I agree with what you have said here.

Common sense and clear thinking go out the window with enough folks that one begins to wonder if angst and complaining are the new hobby. Sometimes i wonder how the heck some of my fellow posters can enjoy the hobby with all the "fears" they express.

There's a real culture in collecting that has forgotten what collecting is all about: fun.

Its not "collect them all, or your collection means nothing", its not "get it first at any cost so you can have all-important bragging rights", its not " the line is DOOMED, DOOMED I TELLYA, because I saw only ONE Captain Cold on the pegs".

A lot of collectors miss out on the whole point of a collecting community, and they overlook the resources that are available to them.

That and they also ignore or choose to deny the information about "how things work", just so they can validate themselves by complaining.

But I guess that is okay now..........because that is just how some people work.

I can only speak for myself when I say that I enjoy the hobby now, as much as I ever did even though I'm finding stuff less frequently than before. I'm being as patient as ever and the stuff IS making its way to me--even if it takes a little longer.

Its all about the journey, not the destination.

Unfortunately that is the reality of a board like this where some anonymous person can complain just to be complaining. I for one enjoy collecting and sharing these awesome toys with my son. The joy of finding a great deal like an AoA Sunfire at Marshall's for $5.99 or a DCIH figure for $1.99 at Ollie's Discount is just a fun little rush. The people who just come on to the forums looking to put down everything (I.E. DC is the SUX) probably are miserable in real life, but won't stand up and take responsibility for their own shortcomings and want things to fail because that is the only thing that brings these people happiness.

It's all about patience & taking time to appreciate what you have. Yes, things are VERY different from retail's heyday, but on the flip side, we're getting some of the best toys we've ever gotten. I love vintage toys almost to a fault, but none can deny how far action figures & such have come, & the great offerings we have the possibility to own.

No matter what, it's an exciting time to be an action figure enthusiast.

Total agreement there.

Toys are better today than they have ever been, so I just cannot conscience complaining about the product.

I think what gives people cause for complaint is how easily "information" about toys can be had.

This is the boon/bane of collecting right now.

Back in the before time.....easy info did not exist. There were no Tomarts Digest, there was no internet.

There was Toy Shop News, the local swap meets, and visits to whatever retailer was selling toys.

That was it.

When toy trade mags like Tomarts, Lees and Toyfare appeared, and then the internet.....the whole paradigm shifted.

Instead of a window of weeks or months before the average individual would become aware of new product, the window is now LESS than 24 hours.

I remember learning about all new product ( for the first time) debuting at a retailer in the States, and less than 8 hours later standing there holding the stuff in my hands. This after traveling an hour to get there from Canada.

That was 10 years ago.

Nowadays, we can make buying decisions months before the product shows on the shelves.

The downside is that people also react to the product far earlier that they used to.

What I think is overlooked in all this is that the increased access to info also means literally increased access to product.

Now some folks like to argue this point, saying they cannot find the stuff in their local stores at all.

But they are only thinking locally.

Retail shopping and access is now global.

Yea, you pay more for it, but the cost balances the "frustration" and inconvenience.

There are more opportunities to find stuff.....and buy stuff , than ever before. Its a true buyers market out there.

The other thing that people overlook is the value of community. IMO, this is the single greatest resource available to a collector: having a friend made on the internet help search for stuff far outside of that collectors local area.

In a sense, having other collectors help you look for stuff you want magnifies the area of influence you have to a almost unlimited degree.

AND, you gain the invaluable bonus of good fellowship with people that share the same passions. That alone is something that makes the hobby a much more fulfilling pursuit. The people plus the passion.

I know that when I first participated in on-line collecting forums back in around 1996, my interest in the hobby EXPLODED.

And its never abated since.

With regards to DCUC, I'm enjoying the line a great deal. I'm missing ONE figure I "need" to truly make my collection complete ( Wave 2 Classic Aquaman!), and he's been a tough one to find at a price I'm willing to pay.

But I'll find him, or he'll come to me somehow. The karma in the hobby is like that, and that is what makes it so fun.

Unfortunately that is the reality of a board like this where some anonymous person can complain just to be complaining. I for one enjoy collecting and sharing these awesome toys with my son. The joy of finding a great deal like an AoA Sunfire at Marshall's for $5.99 or a DCIH figure for $1.99 at Ollie's Discount is just a fun little rush. The people who just come on to the forums looking to put down everything (I.E. DC is the SUX) probably are miserable in real life, but won't stand up and take responsibility for their own shortcomings and want things to fail because that is the only thing that brings these people happiness.

Y'know..........each of us comes to this according to our own gifts. I don't think its fair to malign someone for complaining, but at the same time I find myself questioning why its necessary when alternatives and options are available.

I rant about complainers because I see their "learned helplessness" as being so pointless.

I mean, why would someone CHOOSE to be unhappy, when a simple shift of perception can lead to joy?

I dunno.........I just dunno.

Y'know..........each of us comes to this according to our own gifts. I don't think its fair to malign someone for complaining, but at the same time I find myself questioning why its necessary when alternatives and options are available.

I rant about complainers because I see their "learned helplessness" as being so pointless.

I mean, why would someone CHOOSE to be unhappy, when a simple shift of perception can lead to joy?

I think I just get frustated with people who come to these boards specifically to rant and rave and trying to goad others into an argument. I feel if you dislike Marvel or DC that much, don't go to a forum about Marvel or DC. That seems like common sense to me.

The market this line is aimed towards is moving on to other things, I think. Most people who continue collecting well into adulthood eventually start gravitating away from mass-market junk and buy things that are actually worth the money. I know I have, and most of my collecting friends have as well.

thats quite the baseless statement, seems to me the exact same people who have wanted them from the start are still wanting them now, just because you and your friends have graduated away from "mass market junk" doesn't mean the rest of us have sworn them off just yet :)

Keep in mind this place represents maybe .00000001% of the collecting populace. I find that most people, if they're going to spend the money on collectibles nowadays, would rather spend it on something they'll display for years to come, rather than something they'll get bored of and toss into a drawer within 6 months.

Besides, the only company making good 7" scale DC figures now is DCD. Then again, I couldn't care less about most of the characters in the DCUC line...Killer Moth? Come on.

Mr. Yac speaks for me! I wanted them from the start and I want them... wait I don't want them now. Stop pretending that every collector likes the same things as you.

Mattel has not just shot itself in the foot, it blew it off. But no one's-sorry I don't speak for everyone. You should pay attention to the comments about the retailers not stocking them. Every single store manager makes a decision on what to carry and what not to carry and those that do carry it throw in on a maximum of three pegs. Face facts people, there's better selling stuff in the action figure aisle.

I pay more attention than probably anyone on this board. I've done my time in retail, I know how the business works, and I know the reason the line isn't selling. The characters are #$@#. People will buy Batman and Superman. Maybe Robin, too. Anything other than that is a waste of plastic in the mass-market. The small percentage of people who actually know who Gentleman Ghost and Killer Moth are don't funnel enough money into Mattel's pockets to make a dent in what they're losing by attempting to serve a market that, despite its protests, isn't big enough to support this line.

The only way for this line to continue and be successful is for them to take it to Mattycollector and sell it like they're doing with Masters of the Universe Classics. One figure at a time, make them limited so people will actually buy them for fear of missing out, and improve sculpts and paint applications. If people really like this line as much as they claim they do, it would work perfectly. Of course, you'd have the jerks complaining about the rise in price, having to pay for shipping, and having to be around to order when it goes on sale or risk the chance of missing out, but you know...people already complain about not being able to find these things, so I'd say they would have a better shot at actually getting the figure through the site than by hunting in stores that are still overstocked with Etrigan figures.

The bottom line is the niche market is killing the line. There's no need or reason for a mass-market line to contain a figure like Captain Cold. The only way to be profitable is to cut production numbers and up the price.

Also, most stores have buyers...the managers don't decide anything. Buyers look at what sells where and decide who gets what and how much. It's all done through corporate.

As a side note, if every collector liked the same stuff as I do and thought like me, the world would implode because it's against the laws of physics for there to be more than maybe 5 smart toy collectors in the world. Any more than that and you're looking at a massive catastrophe. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.

The market this line is aimed towards is moving on to other things, I think. Most people who continue collecting well into adulthood eventually start gravitating away from mass-market junk and buy things that are actually worth the money. I know I have, and most of my collecting friends have as well.

thats quite the baseless statement, seems to me the exact same people who have wanted them from the start are still wanting them now, just because you and your friends have graduated away from "mass market junk" doesn't mean the rest of us have sworn them off just yet :)

Keep in mind this place represents maybe .00000001% of the collecting populace. I find that most people, if they're going to spend the money on collectibles nowadays, would rather spend it on something they'll display for years to come, rather than something they'll get bored of and toss into a drawer within 6 months.

Besides, the only company making good 7" scale DC figures now is DCD. Then again, I couldn't care less about most of the characters in the DCUC line...Killer Moth? Come on.

Mr. Yac speaks for me! I wanted them from the start and I want them... wait I don't want them now. Stop pretending that every collector likes the same things as you.

Mattel has not just shot itself in the foot, it blew it off. But no one's-sorry I don't speak for everyone. You should pay attention to the comments about the retailers not stocking them. Every single store manager makes a decision on what to carry and what not to carry and those that do carry it throw in on a maximum of three pegs. Face facts people, there's better selling stuff in the action figure aisle.

I pay more attention than probably anyone on this board. I've done my time in retail, I know how the business works, and I know the reason the line isn't selling. The characters are #$@#. People will buy Batman and Superman. Maybe Robin, too. Anything other than that is a waste of plastic in the mass-market. The small percentage of people who actually know who Gentleman Ghost and Killer Moth are don't funnel enough money into Mattel's pockets to make a dent in what they're losing by attempting to serve a market that, despite its protests, isn't big enough to support this line.

The only way for this line to continue and be successful is for them to take it to Mattycollector and sell it like they're doing with Masters of the Universe Classics. One figure at a time, make them limited so people will actually buy them for fear of missing out, and improve sculpts and paint applications. If people really like this line as much as they claim they do, it would work perfectly. Of course, you'd have the jerks complaining about the rise in price, having to pay for shipping, and having to be around to order when it goes on sale or risk the chance of missing out, but you know...people already complain about not being able to find these things, so I'd say they would have a better shot at actually getting the figure through the site than by hunting in stores that are still overstocked with Etrigan figures.

The bottom line is the niche market is killing the line. There's no need or reason for a mass-market line to contain a figure like Captain Cold. The only way to be profitable is to cut production numbers and up the price.

Also, most stores have buyers...the managers don't decide anything. Buyers look at what sells where and decide who gets what and how much. It's all done through corporate.

As a side note, if every collector liked the same stuff as I do and thought like me, the world would implode because it's against the laws of physics for there to be more than maybe 5 smart toy collectors in the world. Any more than that and you're looking at a massive catastrophe. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.

For a line that doesn't sell, it sure it hard to find.

What I think, and I don't see anyone mentioning this, is that Walmart got their wave 6 direct from China.

Ergo, they got it before everyone else (read, TrU, Target, etc)

I knew right then and there, there was going to be a problem, as Wally would have it first, sell out, and the rest of the B&Ms would be left behind at best stocking a wave behind.

And now, I can say this is exactly what has come to happen, at least in my area. Targets and TrUs are finally stocking again, but their stock is 'behind'. We have already picked up what they are putting out.

So while I guess it would be laudible for Walmart to 'jump the gun' as it were, there ARE ramifications to that. Right now, I expect the Targets and TrUs in my area to remain stocked on waves 4 and 6, while Wally gets to push ahead.

Doesn't seem fair, does it?

i seen waves 6 and 7a at target today.

...And I'll bet they'll be there as long as 2-4 were, if not longer. Until they go on sale and cutomizers decide to get their hands on some fodder, anyway!

...And I'll bet they'll be there as long as 2-4 were, if not longer. Until they go on sale and cutomizers decide to get their hands on some fodder, anyway!

i missed wave 8 at wally. they had the red parademon, and i was tempted to snatch it,but i want the greenversion.

No numbers, just wanting to see what the consensus is around the boards. Want to see whether or not people are starting to see their Wal Marts, which is probably the biggest account that Mattel has, have the same stock not moving.

Yes, I know all about the golden age, I lived through it and miss it dearly However this isn't the golden age, it's anything but. And lines that don't move get bumped. Prime example, the Indiana Jones line, a hell of a lot more space dedicated to the line, and while it initially sold, once the movie came out, the line faltered, it was clearanced out to make room for a line that does sell, and with DCUC only having 1 to 2 pegs per store, having anything stall can be a problem. I mean this isn't Star Wars we're talking about here, they can and will hold their shelf space, and will get restocked cause they do sell. This is just a small collector oriented line.

As was said before, these pics come in months in advance, and do not necessarily mean the'll make it to market, Again I'll use the Inidy line as an example, we had solid pics and release dates on the much anticipated Temple of Doom wave and subsequent figures. But because the line died on the pegs, we have yet to see those figures released, and since no one carries the line anymore, I seriously doubt we will, at least not at retail!!! So the concern is there, that if this line begins to show signs of being just as stagnant as other lines, it will lose it's peg space to another line!

Again, this is just supposed to be a thread to gauge how the line is doing across our boards. What members see at their own stores. It's not meant to be DCUC v ML, but somehow that always has to rear its ugly head! I mean if we can't discuss this here, then where can we. It's part of the whole package when it comes to collecting. I'd rather discuss our hobby and the issues that go along with it. It's why I come here. If I just want to praise the line, then I just stick to the homepage.

i missed wave 8 at wally. they had the red parademon, and i was tempted to snatch it,but i want the greenversion.

Wave 8 hasn't shown up here yet, so there's still hope.

I think I just get frustated with people who come to these boards specifically to rant and rave and trying to goad others into an argument. I feel if you dislike Marvel or DC that much, don't go to a forum about Marvel or DC. That seems like common sense to me.

If you couldn't say stupid things on the Internet, what would you do with it?

Seriously though, I agree with some of the great points recently made. I sometimes create a little trouble myself but usually it's because someone comes here, contributes nothing to the intellectual discussion and tosses a few insults along the way. This is the price you pay for free speech. I know I'm going to get hammered for saying this but there's a lot of people here starting to sound like Marvel fans.

More to the point, it's easy just to blame the manufacturer, but (and this was mentioned earlier) there's many more cogs in the machine. I'm no expert but I have paid attention to other people in the business both here in the forums and in blogs, etc. The other problem I see is people think that everyone buys the same collectibles/every person who reads comic books buys related comic book merchandise. Nothing can be further from the truth.

To answer the forum question clearly if I were a DCUC collector I'd be concerned, but not worried. Not because of Mattel but because sales don't seem to be going through the roof and so on and so on.

If you couldn't say stupid things on the Internet, what would you do with it?

Seriously though, I agree with some of the great points recently made. I sometimes create a little trouble myself but usually it's because someone comes here, contributes nothing to the intellectual discussion and tosses a few insults along the way. This is the price you pay for free speech. I know I'm going to get hammered for saying this but there's a lot of people here starting to sound like Marvel fans.

More to the point, it's easy just to blame the manufacturer, but (and this was mentioned earlier) there's many more cogs in the machine. I'm no expert but I have paid attention to other people in the business both here in the forums and in blogs, etc. The other problem I see is people think that everyone buys the same collectibles/every person who reads comic books buys related comic book merchandise. Nothing can be further from the truth.

To answer the forum question clearly if I were a DCUC collector I'd be concerned, but not worried. Not because of Mattel but because sales don't seem to be going through the roof and so on and so on.

People are always going to blame Mattel for everything. It's basically genetic memory that collectors are born with. "OH CRAP I DON'T GET WHAT I WANT BLAME MATTEL" is their first thought out of the womb.

Again, Joe Q. Public just doesn't want the figures that are being made in the line aside from the big 2 or 3. That's the problem.

I do not think this line is doomed. The TRUs in my area cannot keep these figures in stock. Their shelves are overflowing with Dark Knight figures, but as soon as DCUC figures hit the shelves, they are gone within a day or two.

I am not quite convinced the lack of availability is all the fault of the stores. Mattel has admitted that they some factory problems. That has to account for some of the lack of availability. Stores cannot sell what they cannot order. When the figures do finally show up, they sit around for a while because most people are so use to them pegs being empty. Even the online stores seem to be having a hard time ordering these.

Yes Target has been stocking Wave 2 and 4, but even those are eventually selling in my area. Harley, Aquaman, and Captain Atom are the first to sell. The Black Mantas, Firestorms, Wonder Womans, Red/Blue Supermans, Cyborgs, and Ares eventually sell. Certain Targets have even been getting Wave 7b. I bought a Blue Beetle at a Target this week. The mix they have been getting includes Hawkman and Superman (mullet) from Wave 6.

I know it is frustrating, but the distribution appears to be improving. I actually enjoy the thrill of the hunt. It is a pleasant surprise when I find new figures on once empty shelves.