Dick Tracy Attends SDCC 09 With Shocker Toys

JayC

Shocker Toys is asking what is wrong with them? Same stuff people have told you was wrong with them since you started showing the original prototype over a year ago.

- The guns are sculpted into the hands. Why not have removable accessories?

- Worse still, he has TWO HANDS sculpted to hold an accessory, severely limiting poses.

- The interchangeable hands are in THE SAME POSE as the ones holding the weapons, meaning there is absolutely no advantage to having interchangeable hands instead of just removable accessories.

- The face doesn't look like the artwork. Not at all.

- His neck is too skinny.

- The arms stick out too far from the body at the shoulders. Nothing to do with how they're attached, the torso is sculpted so that the shoulder joint is located out too far from the body.

- The coat is too thick, and doesn't sit properly on the shoulders

- The shape of the suit torso still isn't right.

- His feet are sticking out on stupid angles.

- His feet are too long, it looks like he's wearing clown shoes.

- That big ugly visible gap between the end of the left hand sculpt and where it goes into the sleeve on the coat version.

- Absolutely pitiful hand sculpting on the right hand holding the tommy gun.

- Huge gap down the left side of the suited figure where the suit piece meets. Also the front and back of the collar doesn't even match up.

- Suit legs should go straight down on the sides. The double joint at the knee gives the legs a stupid looking shape, and the legs weren't sculpted to look like proper suit pants.

- His arms and legs are too skinny.

- The lines on the tie are crooked.

- His hair style doesn't look like the comic art at all.

- You've tried to give it a stylized paint job, but the figure is not sculpted in a stylized fashion. You're straddling two different styles, and by failing to commit to one, you've failed to achieve either.

- This is just a repaint of a regular figure from series 2. No new tooling involved at all. But you're charging more than double the price of the regular one, for a cheap repaint.

- Lastly, you're completely overcharging by expecting people to pay $40 for a figure no different from what you would normally charge $15 for.

And what sort of ass-backwards reasoning is it to have the more in-demand and iconic version of the figure harder to obtain? What kind of a milestone is a 6th Comic Con? How does that explain such a dumb decision? But justify it all you want, you're the ones who would be screwing yourselves out of more potential sales by doing it that way.

Shocker Toys is asking what is wrong with them? Same stuff people have told you was wrong with them since you started showing the original prototype over a year ago.

Thanks for the long list of (Your) opinions SWH, and some justified concerns.

- The guns are sculpted into the hands. Why not have removable accessories?

**Why have them removable, so they can fall out of the hands. Our line has two sets of hands one with accessories one without if you don't like that it is your right.

- Worse still, he has TWO HANDS sculpted to hold an accessory, severely limiting poses.

**That is Dick Tracy's pose with the Tommy Gun he is not Scarface holding it with one hand shooting it into the air. He can still be posed as there is plenty of range in the arms and shoulders.

- The interchangeable hands are in THE SAME POSE as the ones holding the weapons, meaning there is absolutely no advantage to having interchangeable hands instead of just removable accessories. **His interchangable hands are not in the same pose as they are different hands.

- The face doesn't look like the artwork. Not at all.

**Well it was aproved by Tribune and they liked it so again that is (Your) opinion. SWH much like you said Scud looked nothing like Scud but you changed your tune when Scud supporters said he did or when you said Maxx looks nothing like the Maxx but I can show you reviews that say it does.

- His neck is too skinny.

**I don't remeber Dick Tracy having a fat neck and the neck has to support the head properly as it is articulated.

- The arms stick out too far from the body at the shoulders. Nothing to do with how they're attached, the torso is sculpted so that the shoulder joint is located out too far from the body.

**The shoulders were fixed in the tooling adjustment alomg with other features.

- The coat is too thick, and doesn't sit properly on the shoulders

**The coat looks fine to us, again (Your) opinion. The coat has to not interfere with the movement which was hard enough to do but I can see you want to slam us with every small detail.

- The shape of the suit torso still isn't right.

**The suit torso was not only changed but the whole suit jacket was modeled after a real authentic suit of the era. So again (Your) opinon and not one that seems to make any sense.

- His feet are sticking out on stupid angles.

**Just the angle of the pic. The feet are poseable put them at what ever angle you like!

- His feet are too long, it looks like he's wearing clown shoes.

**Again angle of the pic his feet are actually small.

- That big ugly visible gap between the end of the left hand sculpt and where it goes into the sleeve on the coat version.

**Interchagable hands so there willbe a bit of a gap especially since his left hand has his communicator watch on it.

- Absolutely pitiful hand sculpting on the right hand holding the tommy gun.

**Again (Your) opinion the hand looks fine to us. If it is a bit rough looking could be the paint or hasnt been adjusted yet in tooling.

- Huge gap down the left side of the suited figure where the suit piece meets. Also the front and back of the collar doesn't even match up.

**That gap will not be on the final figure, again tooling adjustments.

- Suit legs should go straight down on the sides. The double joint at the knee gives the legs a stupid looking shape, and the legs weren't sculpted to look like proper suit pants.

**Again (Your) opinion I can show you other sites where people said it was the best figure in suit they have seen. Are they wrong? Or are they allowed to have an opinion also?

- His arms and legs are too skinny.

**Again (Your) opinion. The arms on the original were way to big and this was modeled after a real authentic suit.

- The lines on the tie are crooked.

**It is a paint master so the lines will be fine when spray masks are used.

- His hair style doesn't look like the comic art at all.

**Again (Your) opinion. The hair was modeled after a hatless pic given to us by licensor. Hair is very hard to get right I will give you that but we tried our best.

- You've tried to give it a stylized paint job, but the figure is not sculpted in a stylized fashion. You're straddling two different styles, and by failing to commit to one, you've failed to achieve either.

**We wanted to have a bit of both in the look and again it is (Your) opinion that it doesn't go well. We think his look matches well with the line art and adding the small lines was a way to bring out the look a bit more. We are sorry we could not please you with that but others do like it.

- This is just a repaint of a regular figure from series 2. No new tooling involved at all. But you're charging more than double the price of the regular one, for a cheap repaint.

**Actually we are charging $35 for this figure. We are charging what a smaller company charges to do a small run of a mass figures. Their is alot more involved then just a simple re-paint maybe you should look into the business more.

- Lastly, you're completely overcharging by expecting people to pay $40 for a figure no different from what you would normally charge $15 for.

**Again you need to check into your facts the figure is $35 and it is not the same figure as Series2. They are 40th SDCC specialy packaged black and white low run exclusive figures. Again you are not (people) your are (You) with your own opinions. You should stop trying to make everyone else's opionins yours.

And what sort of ass-backwards reasoning is it to have the more in-demand and iconic version of the figure harder to obtain? What kind of a milestone is a 6th Comic Con? How does that explain such a dumb decision? But justify it all you want, you're the ones who would be screwing yourselves out of more potential sales by doing it that way.

**As stated above it is our 6th SDCC and the 40thSDCC so that was special to us and our fans. Again (Your) opinion of what is special and what is not. That last part is not really you offering anyting but attacking us and trying to get people to not buy these figures. They already have and will continue to even with (Your) opinion known because they have their own opinions. Hope that helped and thank you for sharing (Your) opinions with us and some justified concerns. You do have knowledge of toys SWH, no one is saying you don't, and your input matters. If you spent more time letting us know what you think instead of attacking us you would really help the line for everyone.

i tracked down a MAXX and shadowhawk figure...it was kinda hard since NO ONE in the houston area ordered them. i spent like 35 on MAXX alone. i understand this is a new company... but wow...the MAXX literally fell apart when i opened him. his hair fell off and his fist came off. the material he is made of im sure was used for cost reasons, but it left a lot to be desired. having said that...i dont play with my guys just dispply him in a pose on the shelf, so it works. the shadowhawk figure is scuplted very oddly. his arms are like the width of a toothpick. the quality is ok though. the dick tracy figure id get if he were in color in his yellow coat. iget ALL represantions of comic figures regardless of company. (ML DCUC, etc.) i know nothing of the MAXX or shadowhawk but remember them and got them for my collection. i hope inthe future the items are more readliy avaible. also, it said on shocker toys you can order. however, its on a paypal account which is LISTED under a yahoo account. im not gonna pay ahead of time for a figure to a yahoo account. if you guys are the real deal then invest in a company account or some other way to pay. it just seemed minor league to me and i went through BBTS.

If you spent more time letting us know what you think instead of attacking us you would really help the line for everyone.

You just found a way to dismiss every single problem I found with the figure. And that is why your figures end up disappointing a lot of people, because despite what you may say you DO NOT listen to any criticisms people make. Yes, some people may be happy with your figures as they are, but those people are obviously very easily pleased. If you took the time to listen, and make things BETTER, those people who like them now would still like them, but so would more people.

Why have non-removable accessories? So they don't fall out of the hands? That's the stupidest way of dismissing a valid criticism I've ever seen. I have hundreds of figures, and I've never had accessories just fall out of their hands. The way to avoid this is... SCULPT THEM SO THE DON'T FALL OUT OF THEIR HANDS! Why should I have to point out something so bloody obvious to a toy company? Then, if someone wants to glue their accessories into the hands they can. But then I an choose how to have them hold their accessories, give the weapons to other characters, etc.

This Dick Tracy resembles the character, I'm not denying that. The problem with the appearance is not as major as giving him the wrong outfit or something. But much like the Maxx, the problem is in all the details not being just right. Sure, you might have based the sculpt on a real suit, but show me that picture, and I will show you how in comparison, this figure does not match that suit's shape.

But, whatever... choose to ignore me and everyone else who criticizes your toys. Continue to latch onto that handful of good comments people might make, and finding reasons to dismiss every criticism made. At the end of the day, you're the one who's toys will remain substandard because of it, and you're the one who's missing out on thousands of potential customers by not making your products better.

What is wrong with them?

And the Iconic versions was used as it is our 6th Comic con and their 40th show.

i'm not going to give you a list like the other poster did i'm just going to tell you outright how i feel as a dick tracy fan, and was looking forward to him.. the early pics i remember seeing of the sculpt didn't look anywhere near as bad as the pics i'm seeing now. the fact his head doesn't look like dick tracy is reason number one i can't go with this figure.. reason two being the joints and general look of the figure reminds me of bootleg dollar store toys.. i generally don't get this upset with figures but looks like the mez-itz are going to be the definitive figures of the tracy characters.. at least they looked like the comics.

Shockertoysllp, i don't mean to completely knock on the stuff shocker toys comes out with, but this figure in picture form is horrible. both of em. and sadly i was really hoping this would've turned out great..

on a side note i honestly didn't know series one ever came out. i had the maxx pre-ordered through my local comic shop (which deals through diamond) and i was told these things still haven't showed up.

What is wrong with them?

And the Iconic versions was used as it is our 6th Comic con and their 40th show.

i'm not going to give you a list like the other poster did i'm just going to tell you outright how i feel as a dick tracy fan, and was looking forward to him.. the early pics i remember seeing of the sculpt didn't look anywhere near as bad as the pics i'm seeing now. the fact his head doesn't look like dick tracy is reason number one i can't go with this figure.. reason two being the joints and general look of the figure reminds me of bootleg dollar store toys.. i generally don't get this upset with figures but looks like the mez-itz are going to be the definitive figures of the tracy characters.. at least they looked like the comics.

Shockertoysllp, i don't mean to completely knock on the stuff shocker toys comes out with, but this figure in picture form is horrible. both of em. and sadly i was really hoping this would've turned out great..

on a side note i honestly didn't know series one ever came out. i had the maxx pre-ordered through my local comic shop (which deals through diamond) and i was told these things still haven't showed up.

We cannot please everyone but we are trying to better ourselves and our lines as we go forward. We are making a toy line in a different style then others and doing alot of new and different approaches . As far as Mezco if you love their deformed figure style that is your own right and we set out to try something different and uinque. Also we are sorry some of you feel you can't order from a yahoo connected paypal but after being hacked twice it was a way to keep the company account safe. Also if your local shop ordered anything from Diamond they will not see it from us as we did not supply Diamond with any of Indie Spotlight. So they should have notified your LCS who should have notified you as a customer. We notified all stores who were carrying Indie Spotlight and other who were not that Diamond would no longer be supplying our products. If you can't order direct from us (which only helps the company and further the line) you can order from our new distributor through your LCS it is Haven Distributors. Bottom line love us or hate us we are not going anywhere and we are going to keep trying new and different things with unique characters that no one else will touch despite the crys from fans. But again the more feedback the better and SWH IS1 changed for the better by us listening to everyone including toy collectors like you who have a very, very high standard. We will get there, it will just take a bit of time to do so now that we are on track and moving forward.

What is wrong with them?

We cannot please everyone but we are trying to better ourselves and our lines as we go forward. We are making a toy line in a different style then others and doing alot of new and different approaches . As far as Mezco if you love their deformed figure style that is your own right and we set out to try something different and uinque. Also we are sorry some of you feel you can't order from a yahoo connected paypal but after being hacked twice it was a way to keep the company account safe. Also if your local shop ordered anything from Diamond they will not see it from us as we did not supply Diamond with any of Indie Spotlight. So they should have notified your LCS who should have notified you as a customer. We notified all stores who were carrying Indie Spotlight and other who were not that Diamond would no longer be supplying our products. If you can't order direct from us (which only helps the company and further the line) you can order from our new distributor through your LCS it is Haven Distributors. Bottom line love us or hate us we are not going anywhere and we are going to keep trying new and different things with unique characters that no one else will touch despite the crys from fans. But again the more feedback the better and SWH IS1 changed for the better by us listening to everyone including toy collectors like you who have a very, very high standard. We will get there, it will just take a bit of time to do so now that we are on track and moving forward.

Seriously, stop with this constant nonsense, talking up everything you do as if you're so revolutionary. It's not fooling anyone, and it has the reverse effect of what you're trying to achieve. You're not fooling anyone by saying that you're making figures in a different style to others and doing a lot of new and different approaches. You're doing exactly what Toy Biz, Mattel, Hasbro, SOTA, NECA and countless other toy companies have done. There's no shame in that, because it's what people like. But don't treat people like idiots by telling us you're doing something different and unique. Exactly how is this Dick Tracy unique? People have made Dick Tracy figures before, they've made black and white figures before, they've made super poseable figures before, and they've even done that comic-line paint ap before. Don't treat me like an idiot by telling me you're being different and unique. There's some free advice for you; stop treating the majority of collectors like they're idiots who will believe everything you say.

Secondly, don't tell me IS1 was made better by listening to feedback. You flat out ignored plenty of things people told you did not look right. For whatever reason you chose to only selectively listen to criticism, usually because you get all defensive unless the person telling you sugarcoats it. Otherwise you come up with any sort of stupid justification as to why you're not going to change it. Like when I pointed out last year that the mini-Maxx has 2 elbows on his arms, and you said that it was okay because Sam Keith drew him in lots of different ways. That's just pathetic; why not change the figure so it doesn't look stupid instead of ignoring a valid complaint. Maybe then you wouldn't still be trying to give away last years SDCC exclusive a year later. Yes, over the 3 or so years the line was in development you changed things on the figures. However plenty of things were still left unchanged despite many people pointing it out along the way. And there were things that were missed that simply should not have been, whether fans point it out or not. I'm no fan of Kabuki, but I understand you left out her face scars (despite going to the effort of making a removable mask, you missed the entire point of even having it removable) and her missing finger. So don't carry on about how you listen to the fans, and listen to feedback. If you're just going to make the figures how you want to anyway, fine. I don't expect any other toy company to listen to every bit of feedback I might have either. But I would be just as ticked off if I kept seeing Hasbro, Mattel or NECA posting threads constantly asking for feedback and ignoring it, and then patting themselves on the back for listening to the fans so much. It's real old.

What is wrong with them?

im not gonna get on a flame post here and gripe like the other posters but...um...what? you cant keep your company account safe? and a yet a yahoo one with a personalized name is? im all for new companies cuz that means i can get more obscure characters but wow...i was giving you guys the beneifit of the doubt. if the payment wasnt taken until item was ready to be shipped i MIGHT consider it...however, havign said that, you didnt address any of the quality control issues i spoke of so i doubt id purchase anymore of your product unseen in hand...the indie toys were listind in DCD and all we can do is put our preveiw order in. also the assortment was that great, alot of the people (LCS) said that only a few characters inthe case assortment were worth ordering. perhaps keep the assortments fewer meaning more of product people want.

here is a suggestion though. maybe you have better answers but your spokesperson doesnt know how to properly answer them? the spokesman is a represantive of Shocker toys and the reply "WERE NOT GOING ANYWHERE, LOVE US OR HATE US". actually chief, the way it seems now is you guys need every dollar you get so i think a nicer approach would be in order. address the points and move on, dont keep going back and forth. and ya a lot of the replies you gave to his questions(legitmate or not) were not well articluated. the reply you gave him showed me an even more unprofessional company than had previously thought. (i.e. yahoo account)

i under stand what "spin" is and have no problem with it but you need a better "spinner".

thanks for your time.

I actually think they look kinda funky. I wasn't a fan originally but these new shots look good.

Perhaps I am too easy to please.

I don't know if I'd buy anyway if the line is just Tracy. Do we know if they plan to include more characters? or do Shocker generally just do 'one off' releases?

• 1 month later...

It doesn't look any different at all. What have they improved exactly? I see they took on board my suggestion about not having the accessory sculpted to both hands. But other than that it's still the same sculpt as before, with all the same flaws it had months ago still not fixed.

Funny how much Geoff changes his tune. Just over a month ago he was saying this about removable accessories...

That is Dick Tracy's pose with the Tommy Gun he is not Scarface holding it with one hand shooting it into the air.

Now he's sending out this official photo...

dtgun1.jpg

What a stupid photo, now he looks just like Scarface, the way he's all holding it with one hand and shooting it into the air. I was wrong Geoff, you should have just left it sculpted into both hands. Now people might accidentally pose it to look like Scarface instead of Dick Tracy. How utterly terrible. Is it too late to get the figure adjusted back to the way it was?

I take full responsibility for this horrible mistake. I suggested it, and I was clearly wrong. Maybe Geoff could give me credit on the packaging? That way he doesn't have to take the blame for the awful idea of removable accessories.

(DISCLAIMER- hidden within this post was some sarcasm. Please note that quoting this post and treating it seriously will result in you looking like an idiot)

The face and hands look improved, as well as the removable gun now, a suggestion I had made some time ago as well. They fixed those issues which to me is good enough.

What are you talking about? The hands and face are exactly the same sculpt still, they haven't been changed one bit.

wow! all of you cant be the one that caused the change. so...who gets the credit? we got three claiming it so far.....any other takers?(lol)

Haha, I'm not taking credit. Just pointing out that when I first recieved the photos of the prototypes I made the suggestion that the Tommy gun shouldn't be sculpted into the hands like that as it limited poses. Something I mentioned in the reviews of the other figures I have from Shocker. I'm not saying they took my words and fixed them because of it, but it is nice if they heard that sentament from folks and worked to improve it.

(DISCLAIMER- hidden within this post was some sarcasm. Please note that quoting this post and treating it seriously will result in you looking like an idiot)
The face and hands look improved, as well as the removable gun now, a suggestion I had made some time ago as well. They fixed those issues which to me is good enough.

What are you talking about? The hands and face are exactly the same sculpt still, they haven't been changed one bit.

The hands are now sculpted so that at least one hand is removeable from the Tommy gun. Which as I pointed out above, was a sore spot for me.

The last time I looked at pictures of Tracy (Which was a while back) the face sculpt didn't look as sharp. In fact it looked a bit funky. This one looks much more crisp.

Those were the two issues I personally had and it seems like they were fixed to me. Hopefully they'll be even better on the final product.

But like I say, I can only compare to what I saw last time, what quibbles I had with the figure and how I do think those issues appear to be resolved.

SWH quit being so negative all the time man. Do you beat your dog constantly too?

Let it go man.

Just be happy that a figure that you b!#ched about for months, and have no intentions of ever buying, is now better looking than it was last time you saw it. After all the complaining why does any of this even matter to you, if you were never going to buy any of the figures to begin with?

I think that Newton was just trying to say that the sculpt of the final figure looks more clean, crisp, sharp, etc. than the prototype. And it does. It looks really good as a finished product.

Shocker's figures seem to clean up really nice in the final stage. So when you see the figures looking as good as they do in their earlier stages, you can expect the final product to look really nice like this Dick Tracy.

SWH quit being so negative all the time man. Do you beat your dog constantly too?

Let it go man.

Just be happy that a figure that you b!#ched about for months, and have no intentions of ever buying, is now better looking than it was last time you saw it. After all the complaining why does any of this even matter to you, if you were never going to buy any of the figures to begin with?

I think that Newton was just trying to say that the sculpt of the final figure looks more clean, crisp, sharp, etc. than the prototype. And it does. It looks really good as a finished product.

Shocker's figures seem to clean up really nice in the final stage. So when you see the figures looking as good as they do in their earlier stages, you can expect the final product to look really nice like this Dick Tracy.

Speaking of letting things go, do you have to follow SWH everywhere he posts just to attack him personally for having an opinion that isn't your own? How many sites have you followed him to?

Or are you not allowed to stop because it's part of the arrangement you and Geoff have? (You know, the one where he gives you free stuff for you going around the internet making personal attacks on anyone who dares to not have a positive opinion of Shocker Toys/ Geoff Beckett. Sure you'll deny this, but it was already established last year in the CBR YABS Rick Olney thread. You remember attacking Gail Simone, whose board you were on, for having not responded positively to Geoff's phony legal threats, don't you?)

If that arrangement has concluded, why not just let people express their own opinions without making everything personal? If you had just left off your first few paragraphs attacking SWH, you'd be presenting your opinion more effectively, instead of coming off as a shill for the company.

The only thing thats wrong with this figure is the closed left hand. You've got all this updated articulation and then you toss in throw back closed hands from like the original Star Wars figures. Its strange they should just take the left hand from the suited Tracy and use it on this figure too.

Also, what's up with the black and white thing? Character Options is doing the same thing with their Doctor Who Figure. WTF

Speaking of letting things go, do you have to follow SWH everywhere he posts just to attack him personally for having an opinion that isn't your own? How many sites have you followed him to?

Or are you not allowed to stop because it's part of the arrangement you and Geoff have? (You know, the one where he gives you free stuff for you going around the internet making personal attacks on anyone who dares to not have a positive opinion of Shocker Toys/ Geoff Beckett. Sure you'll deny this, but it was already established last year in the CBR YABS Rick Olney thread. You remember attacking Gail Simone, whose board you were on, for having not responded positively to Geoff's phony legal threats, don't you?)

If that arrangement has concluded, why not just let people express their own opinions without making everything personal? If you had just left off your first few paragraphs attacking SWH, you'd be presenting your opinion more effectively, instead of coming off as a shill for the company.

1st off, I'm not following anyone. I check up on these forums every once in a while. Forgive me if every single Shocker Toys thread just happens to have SWH already there talking crap. It's kind of hard to find a Shocker Toys thread anywhere on the internet, where SWH hasn't already been there trying to ruin it. Maybe you should mention something to SWH about following Shocker Toys around like a stalker, to crap on every single thread where they post about their toys.

2nd, why don't you stop holding SWH's hand like a little kid crossing the road. He's a big boy and he can take care of himself. If he wants to go all around the internet talking crap, he can back himself up. Do you really need to keep holding his hand every step of the way?

You could be presenting your opinion more effectively, instead of coming off like SWH's cheerleader. Speak for yourself, and let him do the same. It's about time to cut the cord, and let you two choose your own paths.

Next, as to this supposed "arrangement" that you claim to have read about over at CBR, would you care to post a link? Cause I've never said anything remotely close to what you're talking about.

Someone mentions getting a freebie Isz figure (which everyone got, who attended the Shocker Toys panel) and this is what it turns into? Classic! But we've been over this before. We're all well aware of how you love to make these wonderful accusations.

Finally, as far as "attacking" Gail Simone-

I had said NOTHING to that chick when she started talking crap to me. Something to the point of calling me a loser, or telling me to get a life. I don't exactly recall.

So yeah, I had something to say to her because of that, and ONLY that. It had nothing to do with her ordeal with Geoff at all. If she wouldn't have said anything to me to begin with, I wouldn't have said anything to her at all. Plain & Simple, don't start crap and expect to get nothing in return.

So me attacking her? No I don't think so. It's the other way around. Once again, get your facts straight bud.