TNI Contest: Win A Set Of MOC G.I.Joe Hall Of Heroes Figs

JayC

what g.i. joe means to me:

it is a part of my history the beginning of my customizing figures. way back in 86 when i took a tan grunt and made him into robocop with elemers glue that i kneeded into the body armor. it was the beginning of my imagination when i played out adventures with my friends. it was the beginning of collecting and having and taking pride in having a collection of figures. it was the beginning of building an army of solders. it was the reason to get a second room in my apartment to have room to play in my 20's and have alone time away from my girlfriend at the time. even today it is a way to express my creative feelings. that's what g.i.joe means to me. freedom.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G.I. Joe means 21 years of growing up. Spending weekends with my cousin in the basement setting up countless battles only to enact them with the most dubious of sound effects. From collecting favorites to making my own with broken pieces. G.I.Joe allowed my mind to determine the extent of realism and often it would take days to choreograph a battle perfectly. Besides all the fun was in setting them up.

Years later I still collect, display, and even play with my G.I.Joes, but now I can spend time with my younger family and let them experience the fun and joy I had growing up. Yes G.I.Joe had a place in my heart as my favorite toy, but it will always be tied to me as one of the best experiences I ever had growing up (which apparently I plan to do for a long, long time)

Yo Joe!

G.I. Joe is the embodiment of the U.S.A. and I'll tell you why. As Americans we are driven by our individuality: unique codes of ethics, self expression, and self reliance. But we understand that when the chips are down we fight for and protect our community - together - united. Yes, we sometimes get wrapped up in our own points of view. Sometimes we turn Cobra and go after our own desires of "world domination". That was the lesson every day after school... am I Duke or do I serve Cobra Commander? Do I stand up for the one being picked on in school or do I join in on the mocking? G.I. Joe, just like reoccurring themes in the history of the US, is about learning how to be courageous and honorable in the face of overwhelming odds. That's why these action figures mean so much to us older fans... No matter which character you chose as your favorite - your alter ego was represented along with a back story that highlighted a heroic trait that was within you. G.I. Joe always found a way to harness unique traits (adding to the power of a squad) and make the ones watching feel that they have a role to play within the context of protecting those that needed us the most. There's nothing more American than the spirit of fighting for what is right... and that's exactly what G.I. Joe is all about.

what GIJOE means to me is happiness and home.you see i grew up in the military so every couple of years we moved to a new place but in each place we moved to my brother and i had our joes.i remember all those times waiting for our household goods to show up and we'd have nothing to play with cept our favorites.a lot of the times my mom would go to the post exchange and come home and say i saw these joes ang got some for you.to this day GIJOE is near and dear to my heart.I collect a lot of ldifferent toy lines but if i had to give up all of them and keep only one,it'd be GIJOE!did i mention anytime i played GIJOE againest TRANSFORMERS the joes always won. YO JOE!! #US1#

G.I. Joe means to me a connection with my past. When grandma took me out shopping with her, she always let me choose something to buy. I remember getting Rock N Roll & Snow Job one time at a craft store no less. Those two were my first G.I. Joes. I was really happy that I could put them in many different action poses. Ever since then G.I. Joe is what I think "action figures" should be like.

G.I. Joe means to me reliving my childhood. Having big battles with my brother, losing weapons, and pulling out the wildcard "Storm Shadow" (who was really a Cobra trooper figure) who was hiding after all the others had been killed in battle.

G.I. Joe means to me memories of watching the cartoon on TV every day after school, whether it was its own show or segments on Bozo the Clown.

G.I. Joe means to me discovering the comic book with issue #73 and eventually buying all the back issues, as well as discovering a host of other comic books like X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man, and eventually indie comics.

This is what G.I. Joe means to me!

I could tell you how I have fund childhood memories of G.I.Joe. How I remember her building the Rattler at 6AM on the morning after Christmas and how I broke the £¢!¬ landing gears in 5 seconds. How I love the new resolute cartoon and how I only had one single issue of the comic growing up but cherished it with all my heart (It was my granpa who randomly bought me all my comics as a child). Let's face it, we all have such memories. Heck I could come up with a story about a friend who was saved by those PSA's. But I'm going to try something different and tell you what it means for me to rediscover the original cartoon.

WTF. Seriously it's 1 part violence that would never make it on TV today and 1 part complete disrepect for children's intelligent and it's GREAT. Mutt beating the crap out of Junkyard, Low light saying a gun is a better solution, Snake-Eyes pummeling Cobra's right in the face. WOW. Cobra Commander makes Dr. Evil look like a serious threat. I could go on but I hve to stop. YO JOE!

What G.I. JOE Means To Me:

G.I. JOE was the first show that showed me a multi-racial cast that came together to fight a common evil. Being African-American it was one of the first cartoons as a child for me to see characters that looked like me. I also enjoyed the characters and stories. The toys themselves are my favorite toys of all time. Who could forget seeing the USS Flag for the first time in real life. It took your breath away! Each figure came with it's own file card that you kept in your secret files for Top Secret intel on your soldiers. Reenacting episodes with the figures and vehicles you had was just one of the funt things we all enjoyed. G.I. JOE also instilled a sense of patriotism within you. It made you realize how much freedom really meant to you and why G.I.JOE fought so hard for it. Also, at the end of each episode was a great PSA that helped mold young people into becoming better adults. Cool toys, cool vehicles, amazing characters, and just plain awesome action is what G.I. JOE means to me. I am a collector of these things to this day because quite frankly, they just don't make toys like they use to. I want my children to be able to have a childhood full of fun with these figures just as I did.

What G.I. Joe means to me:

COBRA. And the American dream that this organization represents. The promise of security, money and success. Brotherhood and prosperity. The collective protection from a corrupt government whos only driving force is to hold it's current position while oppressing the every man. Where else but in Cobra can one man bring himself and those around him to such power and prominence. Cobra is the living embodiement of the USA and is the only potential savior to uphold the American ideals of freedom, liberty and justice. If we sit idly by, the America we know and love will continue it's slow cold decent. Cobra stands for change. Cobra stands for individuals. Cobra stands for America. In Cobra we trust.

:)

Growing up in a small town in the northwest we didn't have much. So when I got what G.I. Joes I did get I cherished them. Watching the cartoons I learn allot about what the Joe team stood for, fighting freedom and that is what our country is all about fighting for freedom from whom ever might terrorize us. That is what G.I. Joe means to me, freedom.

To me G.I.Joe is a wonderful escape. Wither to my childhood imagination, or simply to a story where the good guys all ways win, the heroes are united and stress, homework, and other normal day things are replaced by Heroes conquering real villians. It also has always represented my respect for the REAL AMERICAN HEROES that serve in our armed forces everyday. God bless them for their service.

G.I. Joe means pulling out a set of screwdrivers, popping a few figures open, taking parts I like, recombining into a figure that can represent me. It means having something better than LEGOs, a play system that lets you make action figures the way [you/i] want them. Want Snakeeyes to be wearing differnt pants? Pop open a Duke and swap them. Oh, but I don't wabt him wearing a mask. How about sunglasses and a hat? Okay, were did I put that HawK?

It means winding a figure up on its rubberband, and then letting it do the most awesome spin-kick ever, knowing that when you're done, the figure is still just as fun, unlike the Batman figure whose leg keeps popping up at weird times, and who can't sit down properly.

It means having two figures fight, and one has a sword, and he can stab another one through the gap between torso and legs as you stretch out the rubber band, instead of just holding the sword under ine of the arms, like other figures.

G.I. Joe means free, fur, creative paly....

And Space Ninjas, for some reason I'll never be able to fathom. Oh, well...

What G.I. Joe means to me? G.I. Joe is my past, my present and my future. When I was a child I would spend hours playing with my Joes surrounded by my Mom and Dad. When my Mom would go shopping she would always let me get my “little army man.” My Mom was great and I do miss her. My Dad would spend many hours working the yard and I would spend my days outside playing with my Joes in the yard he had just worked on.

Today I have been married for 16 years and I still have a Joe collection. My wife has allowed me an extra bedroom to display my little army men in as my mom would call them. I have friends that come over and we go hang out in the Joe room and we always reminisce about the past and the good times we had when we were kids. I thank my wife for her patience and understanding about my crazy G.I. Joe collection.

I have a daughter that is 15; she has no interest in G.I. Joe, but at one time she wanted to know who everyone was. Today she has useless stored information in her head about Snake-eyes and Stormshadow. My hope is that one day my daughter will have children and I can share my Joe experiences with my grandchildren.

Chopz

GI Joe is something I have been doing since I was 10. I am now 34 and continue to buy, sell, and reinvent my collection. Against constant criticism, I refuse to "grow up". It is a part of who I am. Life is too short to be all serious all the time. I do enough "serious" at work.

The big thing that has changed for me is having 3 boys. And they love my Joes, so I have made sure I have enough so that can have their own collection, or toys to play with. Their friends come over and they want to play GI Joes. I am known as the Dad with the big collection of Joes that lets kids play with some.

The whole notion of violence based toys breeds violent kids is nonsense. GI Joe is all about right and wrong, good versus evil. Playing and using your imagination. Neglecting your kids, putting yourself before their needs, and not teaching them anything is what makes kids violent or "problem" children. GI Joe is great thing for families (well, Dads and their boys anyway) to bond, play, learn, be responsible and respectful of other people and property; help people who cannot help themselves.

GI Joe is whatever you want it to be. I choose it to be a positive; life is too short for a negative outlook. @supes@

G.I. Joe represents the part of me that wants to hold onto my childhood. The first toys I ever asked specifically for were Joes. I was 8 years old and didn't really know enough to ask for specific ones. I got Roadblock, Lady Jaye, and Tomax & Xamot for Christmas. One month later on my birthday, I got the Mauler tank. Those are some of my most prized possessions. I remember how excited I was when I got them. I would watch the cartoon every afternoon like it was religion. For the next 6 years, G.I. Joe was a major part of my life. Once I was an adult, I started to go back and fill my collection in. When my boys are old enough, they will definately be Joe fans too.

Louis

What GI Joe means to me

I am a child of the 80s. Sure, I was born in 1985 and missed majority of the decent things from the line. But nevertheless, it was a line that I grew up with. In 1991, when I was 6 years old, my mom bought me my very very first GI Joe figure. A V1 Salvo. I loved the figure, from the bald head, to the shirt with the scrawled RIGHT OF MIGHT on it, the pants covered in ammo and even down to the FLASH missile launcher, the briefcase and the mine launcher. It was the most awesome figure I'd ever recieved in my entire life. Shortly after that, my mom bought me my second figure, TBC Cobra Commander. It was a figure that I loved, simply because at the time, it was a figure that talked...and even back in 92/93, that was one helluva rare thing and still make the figure playable. The other reason I loved the toys was because they were military toys, but still retained an essence of fantasy about them.

Then came the cartoons in my life. The first episode I saw the Action Force version of My Favourite Things. I loved that. It had everything I loved in a cartoon. The action was perfect, the effects, the voices and the music. Because I lived in the UK, they didn't air eps on TV, but thanks to TEMPO video, I managed to see some episodes of the show and also had audio tapes iof the stories with books.

Thats really it. The cartoon and the toys have played a valuable part of my life and my upbringing. They shaped me into the man I am today. The line thats gone on and on, constantly improving year after year. Sure, its had its turkeys and best parts, but that happens in every line.

so Hasbro, here's to another 25 years

And now you know what GI Joe means to me.....and knowing is half the battle!

YO JOE!

It means: Good vs Evil played out in the basement or in the yard wth my friends.

What G.I. Joe means to me:

When I was growing up spent a lot of time in the hospital and in doctor's offices because of a rare defect in my blood called ITP (Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Popura). The condition is similar to hemophilia, in some ways not as bad (no bleeding joints, which is good), and in some ways it can be worse (there is no treatment for it at all to date, so if you become symptomatic, your kind of screwed). To protect me from getting banged up, my parents and grandparents made me stay indoors... which wasn't as bad as it seems since the only two neighbors my age were a couple of nagging girls, and back then girls were gross. To keep me from escaping (that actually makes it sound like they were chaining me to a wall, but they weren't) they started purchasing GI Joe figures and vehicles for me.

No matter how bad the trips to the doctors offices were (weekly blood tests to check my blood platelet levels), or the operations (three, including one to remove my spleen), I always had a room full of G.I. Joes I could go home to. My little safe-haven away from the constant poking & prodding. After the operation to remove my spleen showed immediate success, I was unshackled, and went about my life like a normal kid would. Found a girl, got married... All was good, until...

I was bitten by a spider... normally not a big deal, but this particular spider bite had an unfortunate side effect (and unfortunately it wasn't spider-powers), It brought the ITP back. So, there I was a 32-year-old guy getting poked and prodded every day once again. Loaded up on different meds, losing my hair and gaining weight because I could no longer work out or lead an active lifestyle. Then the 25th anniversary G.I. Joe figures hit. The figures that made me so happy and took me away to a little fantasy world were back and better than ever!

Though the Joes had little to do with it, I eventually gave the middle finger to my doctors, got off all the meds and followed a holistic approach to my health. My hairs back, my excess weight is (mostly) gone, and my blood platelet levels are whatever they are. I eat healthy, live healthy and enjoy my Joes.

So, to answer the question properly: What does G.I. Joe mean to me? G.I. Joe is my escape into a safe world where I can be a normal person and not have to worry about the pains in life, regardless of how old or young I am.

Thanks & Yo Joe!

Scott

what g i joe means to me?

i remember when i was little writing a "fan letter" to quick kick cause he was my favorite. i figured sgt saughter was real so why arent all of them. i got a response back, which was just my dad writing back.

i remember loving all my figures and becoming insanely excited everytime i saw a new figure i never had known of.

i remember POURING over the little catagues that came with the vehicles.

and now when i see the 25th figures all my happy childhood memories come flooding back and with these awesome sculpts i have no bad nostalgia aftertaste.

Greetings...

What G.I.JOE means to me.

G.I.JOE action figures are the reason i am a ninja today,and am currently employed by the real G.I.JOE organization.

I was turned on to G.I.JOE action figures as a child,through my older brother and his friends.i blame him!

at the age of 7,i was ordered by the state school committee to attend extensive hypnosis therapy to relearn my

true child identity.this was because i would not talk and was sneaking up on other kids and attacking them.

however i was reinstated at age 9 with a clean record after therapy was complete.i recieved A's in EVERYTHING!

Now and again in the heat of battle,i remember back to when my neighbor used to steal my toys to make his huge

collection even bigger.It fills me with rage,but because of my overachieved ninja training i am able to focus all my ninjaness

on the task at hand to overcome.

I feel that if i were to have these figures on those in between calm in the eye of the storm moments,

it would assist my invisible ninja task force and myself to persevere through not so exciting or demoralizing times.so that

we can acheive and win. because we love being ninjas,its a cool job. And we love fighting for what's right in the world.

This planet is nice.

I don't know if it's possible for me to win this contest.my mailing address is top secret because i'm such a ninja.

But if i win, i'm sure arrangements can be made,because the U.S. government is awesome.

Thank You,sincerely

the toppest most secretist covertest ninja on this planet.

In 1985, I received my first G.I. Joe figures: Mutt & Junkyard and Flint. I don’t recall why I selected these two specifically, but I remember as a kid always wanting the figures with animal sidekicks, so that have been my reason I got Mutt & Junkyard. I remember countless hours of playing indoors and outdoors with my Joes! Although I went through different stages of what my favorite toy or toy line was, my interest always went back to G.I. Joe. I remember getting a Crimson Guard in my stocking for Christmas and my Dad assisting me when I got vehicles that needed stickers to be placed on the vehicles. I remember the year I got the Night Raven, I carried it upstairs into my parents’ bedroom, and woke my dad up asking him to come downstairs and help me apply the stickers to it.

Over the years, I would acquire a fairly large collection of G.I. Joes. I wouldn’t consider myself a collector at this time because I was a kid, and my toys were meant to play with and use my imagination in creating different stories. I remember playing for hours in the sandbox, the yard, at school, and at friends’ houses.

Simply enough, G.I.Joe is a connection to my childhood. I think we as adults often get wrapped up in life, and forget the innocent times we had as children. My imagination ran freely, and my ideas weren't judged by anyone. G.I.Joe allows me to keep a constant connection to my childhood which I hope to share with many generations.