History of the DCU action figures from DC DIRECT

batfan08

I don't buy DCUC,but from what I've heard around these boards alot of people are getting very annoyed by mattel.I was just thinking, DC Direct has a really cool line coming out this year called History of the DC Universe.It's based on the art of comics' great George Perez,and though they may not be as articulated it looks to be a great line.Series 1 is released on June 10,and includes a roster of Batman,Blue Devil,Green Arrow,and the original Manhunter.Series 2 is due out July 15 and includes Aquaman,Black Lightning(70's version),The Creeper, and The Flash.Series 3 will be out December 16,2009,and will have Brainiac(they made his Super Friends costume look awesome),Ocean Master,Plasticman,and Superman.So,who would consider these as an alternative to DCUC?

I really like this line. im not gonna be buying nearly all of them, since theres alot of redos (superman, batman, plastic man) but theres alot im very interested in (creeper! aquaman, maybe blue devil) so ill pick and choose. but over all this looks like it could be a very good line, and a way to get alot of obscure characters out there

I incorporate a lot of DCD figures in with my DCUC stuff, so it all depends on the individual figure. The tendency with DCD to use that shiny, 'glittery' paint app lately tends to make me not like the figures. The early pics of the History figures don't seem to have that going on so I may pick up some of them.

I think they will be ok and DCD will or may see some sales boost But the thing that is likeable about DCD figures is there more artistic based but that also hurts the line as well as to where DCUC is more based on the hero from the comic. and DCUC still seem to have more articulation than the DCD figures comeing out.

The thing about mattel is this they have a true gold mine but are refuseing to cultavate it. At least DCD can be found at most comic shops. as to where CUC is just luck finding them at retail. I honestly think mattel has bitten off more than they can chew. But i know i will be picking up the history of superman batman aquaman and flash but the rest i doubt it

I incorporate a lot of DCD figures in with my DCUC stuff, so it all depends on the individual figure. The tendency with DCD to use that shiny, 'glittery' paint app lately tends to make me not like the figures. The early pics of the History figures don't seem to have that going on so I may pick up some of them.

I too incorporate several DCD figures into my DCUC display.. mainly as fillers.. Zatanna, Elongated man, Kyle Rayner, Wally West.. I still prefer the articulation of the DCUC to DCD.

I think these "history" figures look great! George Perez is & always will be my favorite artist of all time & I'm sure I'll pick some of these up.. but my primary focus is DCUC all the way!!

DC Direct alot of the time look alot better than DCUC but it'll just boil down to what the individual will prefer. Articulation? or Great Paint apps? I like to mix the two lines myself, I plug in DC Direct characters where they haven't made dcuc characters yet. For example my DC Direct Martian Manhunter is standing in my DCUC display of the JLa until they make a DCUC version of him. :D

DC Direct alot of the time look alot better than DCUC but it'll just boil down to what the individual will prefer. Articulation? or Great Paint apps? I like to mix the two lines myself, I plug in DC Direct characters where they haven't made dcuc characters yet. For example my DC Direct Martian Manhunter is standing in my DCUC display of the JLa until they make a DCUC version of him. :D

I mix them together as well, but in the end i'd like the uniformity, but I am torn on Black Lightning. I like the uniformity of the DCUC V one, but the DCD JLA one has all the right articulation points I require and is taller. I dunno.

On the other hand my DCD Red Arrow, I do not think Mattel could make one this great!

I am waiting for DCUC version to replace me DCD ones of:

Cheetah

Poison Ivy

Current Hawkgirl

Martian Manhunter

Black Hand

Mirror Master

These three, it would be hard for Mattel to beat, except stability for standing on the chicks:

Vixen

SC Cyborg Superman

Star Sapphire

Well for thoes of you who have seen my DCD collection I'm sure you already know I plan on getting VERY LAST ONE OF THESE GOODIES! I can think of no better figs to start off reaching the 700 fig count for my collection. And of corse I can always depend on DCD to give near perfect craftsmanship and a fig time table that you can set a swiss watch to!

Well for thoes of you who have seen my DCD collection I'm sure you already know I plan on getting VERY LAST ONE OF THESE GOODIES! I can think of no better figs to start off reaching the 700 fig count for my collection. And of corse I can always depend on DCD to give near perfect craftsmanship and a fig time table that you can set a swiss watch to!

hey supreme,think you could post some pics of your collection?

hey supreme,think you could post some pics of your collection?

Its already done. Just pop over to the "show your collection" thread in the DC pinned section. My stuff should be on the 2nd to last page.

I don't mind the look of these, but unless they fix that Batman and his goofy, long, out-of-kilter neck, I won't be buying. Otherwise, I'd pick up Batman, and if I liked him I'd probably get others. The Creeper looks pretty slick.

I think the "generic" body on the DC Direct line is quite terrible. The pecs are way too large, biceps too balloony, & the articulation points aren't very graceful. I like that they're dabbing into obscure & weirdo characters, but I'd have to hold out & wait for DCUC to make these same characters... & c'mon, let's be honest, that Superman is just horrid!

I'd just about completely walked away from DC Direct for many of the popular reasons...

1. Too many Superman and Batman figures.

2. A sudden shift in scale

3. Inconsistent quality control and paint applications

4. Too many Artist specific lines

5. Characters that just don't resonate with me (Fire, Ice, Mr. Terrific, etc)

6. Mattel was making better figures.

This History of the DCU line though has me interested. Yeah. I know its artist specific, but if you're going to go that route, George Perez is the artist to follow. As with all DCD products, I'm really going to reserve the ultimate judgement for when I see these things in actual stores. DCD has burned me too many times with promises of a nice figure only to really, really under-whelm with the final product. Remember Earth 2 Robin? Crisis Batman?

For the record, I was never one to bash DCD for its limited articulation. Marvel Universe figures could all be posed to scratch their own butts but they all looked like gangly anorexic mannequins to me. I was perfectly happy with the articulation DCD used for most of its figures. The added articulation on this line is not a big appeal for me. DCD, for all their problems, did build a sturdier figure than Mattel and out of a more solid, permanent feeling plastic. I hope that remains the case. I always get the feeling whenever I re-position one of my Mattel figures that he only has a few poses left in him before his joints become floppy and loose.

On another note, it looks like Batman and Superman have very big capes. Caped figures worry me. I hope these capes aren't a heavy plastic that completely undermines the added articulation and poseability of these figures.

Well Bigdawg I keep hearing people talk about this scale issue with DCD but frankly other than 4 or 5 figs out of the 600+ figs that I have I have never seen or had a real problem with scale. & as for the artistic thing.......well if its not your thing then so be it. but for me that's one of the biggest pluses for DCD.

& the paint jobs have always been great too except for the occasional botched job. but to fix that all I realy need to it choose another fig off the peg & just like that! BADA BOOM BADA BING! all's good.

Well Bigdawg I keep hearing people talk about this scale issue with DCD but frankly other than 4 or 5 figs out of the 600+ figs that I have I have never seen or had a real problem with scale.

I'd been collecting DCD from almost the beginning and somewhere over the past couple of years, DCD shot up their figures from about 6" to 6"3/4. It's a pretty dramatic jump. To put it more concretely, the Alex Ross figures have always been on a scale all their own. Now ALL DCD figures are on the Ross scale. This doesn't hurt so much I suppose if you've just started collecting, but for someone like me, I've just had my entire Justice League, Justice Society, and all their villains negated! DCD, after years of denying the scale issue and then saying that they were "going to address it," finally outright announced that 6"3/4 was going to be their new preferred scale. My Clark Kent TOWERS over my Superman!

...as for the artistic thing.......well if its not your thing then so be it. but for me that's one of the biggest pluses for DCD.

I'd rather collect a SINGULAR DC Universe than collect seven or eight different DC Universes such as the DC Universe according to Alex Ross, Adam Kubert, Ed McGuiness, Michael Turner...Just going over this list it hit me that Ross and Kubert aside, DC really chose some very pedestrian lackluster flavor-of-the-month artists on which to base their figures. The biggest slap in the face has to be when DCD passed over the beautiful work of Rags Morales who drew the horribly conceived and written Identity Crisis in favor of Michael Turner, an artist of limited ability, who only drew the covers of the series!

... the paint jobs have always been great too except for the occasional botched job. but to fix that all I realy need to it choose another fig off the peg & just like that! BADA BOOM BADA BING! all's good.

UNfortunately, most stores will order only a limited quantity of these figures so the selection isn't going to be too great. I was there for the paint job disasters on the Crisis line and the Kingdom Come line. In both of these cases, the paint jobs were so poor and widespread that DCD actually had to go back and do a re-release of these figures.

got any pics? i havent seen the figs you speak of, but im an articulation junkie! i doubt a DCD fig would deliver a strong enough....how can i say it?.....fix! yeah...fix. i think its very, very cool that DCD has artist interps, but mattel has articulation...gotta stay with mattel on this one.

got any pics? i havent seen the figs you speak of, but im an articulation junkie! i doubt a DCD fig would deliver a strong enough....how can i say it?.....fix! yeah...fix. i think its very, very cool that DCD has artist interps, but mattel has articulation...gotta stay with mattel on this one.

I don't think they'll be on the same level as DCUC, but I look to their first release of Superman as a model. Most artic of any DCD fig ever released, but still not universal. And even that one had it's limitations. (But it still looks GREAT!!!)

I don't think they'll be on the same level as DCUC, but I look to their first release of Superman as a model. Most artic of any DCD fig ever released, but still not universal. And even that one had it's limitations. (But it still looks GREAT!!!)

where can i see a pic?

where can i see a pic?

Pooda just head over to the DC Direct web site & they'll have all you could ever hope & wish for in pics. the sculpt on these figs is truely amazeing!