DC Films vs Marvel Films

RockthePlank

The Joker is the Clown Prince of Crime. Heath Ledger's Joker was nothing more than a deranged serial killer wearing a Joker costume. I know Nolan was tryong to be serious, but jeez, no witty one liners? no lethal gags and pranks?

You must have missed his "magic pencil trick", and the shenanigans in a nurses outfit......and he had some one liners. Ledger's portrayal was all about dark, twisted humour.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If y'all want to consider feature-length films (90 minutes or longer)--including TV movies, then there's a whole bunch missing:

DC:

The 60's Batman movie ( was a theater release)

Challenge of the Superheroes ( a TV movie, the less you know about this one, the better....)

Wonder Woman starring Cathy Lee Crosby ( hoooo boy.......)

Animated films: the various Batman and Superman etc animated flicks have some winners ( and a loser or two) and add to the list of DC films that work very well.

Marvel:

Add TV movies for Spiderman, Captain America ( 2 with Reb Brown), Hulk with various guest stars Thor Daredevil etc., Nick Fury and Doctor Strange--most of these are.........not good <ahem> compared to recent films, but they do add to the list. And the animated films as well, most of which are mediocre at best.

In my view if you want to add up the lists of turkeys and triumphs, the balance is going to come out pretty much even.

The Joker is the Clown Prince of Crime. Heath Ledger's Joker was nothing more than a deranged serial killer wearing a Joker costume. I know Nolan was tryong to be serious, but jeez, no witty one liners? no lethal gags and pranks?

You're kidding right? Have you ever read a batman book? Joker is every bit a killer in the comics. Who do you think killed Jason Todd?

You're kidding right? Have you ever read a batman book? Joker is every bit a killer in the comics. Who do you think killed Jason Todd?

Sorry EU Heath Ledger played the Joker the way he really is

He is toned down in the toons because kids are watching

You must have missed his "magic pencil trick", and the shenanigans in a nurses outfit......and he had some one liners. Ledger's portrayal was all about dark, twisted humour.

Have you ever read a Batman comic? The Joker IS a deranged serial killer wearing a Joker costume.

The essence of the character was there. To him driving Harvey Dent insane was a prank.

If you want a Joker who makes stupid jokes or slaps people with smiling fish I suggest an old episode of "Batman" with Caesar Romero.

Grr i don't understand why so many people don't like the x men movies or superman returns.

I'm possibly one of the few who liked both movie franchises

Looks like we are the only 2 lol. Now i will say i hated the son of superman part but you know it wasn't all singer it was the 2 writers as well. So i don't see putting all the blame on singer. and x men 1 and 2 well steller films 3 maybe not so much. But come on you have to take these films for what they are go into them with an open mind with i think alot of you don't. No offence to anyone. But Alot of you seem to go into a flim like this expecting it to be just like the comic or just like this or that.

Even ghost rider wasn't that bad for what it is. Its a dude who turns into a friggin skull on fire. Some disbaleaf needs to be inserted. Now i wasn't crazy about cage playing him because he has this elvis thing in his head and tried to make ghost rider elvis like what was just booo. but over all the movie was ok.

I have seen all the superhero movies and some were good some were bad. But thats alot of movies now a days. And just for the record i loved all 4 superman movies even superman returns

So nah nah nah boo boo lol

I have read some stuff with the Joker in and watched alot of Joker's appearances. The shenanigans in the nurses outfit and the pencil trick were joker-esque, but didn't feel it. Sure, the Joker is a demented serial killer, but the deadly pranks are still there, like frying someone with a overpowered Joy Buzzer, or like in the 89 movie, shooting down the Batwing with an oversized revolver. The reason I say this is because rewatching the Dark Knight, the bank massacre didn't fit the Joker, not did crashing the police ceremony, or burning the millions of dollars, or killing Rachel...or blowing up the ship. They didn't feel like Joker capers

In 2000 when X-Men came out everyone LOVED it! Now people like to trash Singer so they pretend they always hated the movie. It was a very well done movie. It's that simple.

what was well done about it? the costumes?...the plot?....the character likenesses?....the action?....what? a too tall toad? too tall wolverine? maybe that ##$%$# posing as sabretooth was the highlight of the film? i know!....mystique! thats it! x-men was one of the worst comic to screen adaptations to rear its ugly head!

In 2000 when X-Men came out everyone LOVED it! Now people like to trash Singer so they pretend they always hated the movie. It was a very well done movie. It's that simple.

what was well done about it? the costumes?...the plot?....the character likenesses?....the action?....what? a too tall toad? too tall wolverine? maybe that ##$%$# posing as sabretooth was the highlight of the film? i know!....mystique! thats it! x-men was one of the worst comic to screen adaptations to rear its ugly head!

what were thy thinking, doing this to such a mainstream comic?! these look NOTHING like any of the xmen characters!

storm.jpg

xmen007.jpg

sabretooth.jpg

15288__magneto_l.jpg

Eh, the costumes were WAY off. I think they casted well for Jean, Prof X, Magneto, and Mystique (well, her make-up was pretty spot-on; anyone coulda played her tho). Wolverine wasn't a horrible cast job..tho, he is too tall.

All that aside, it just wasn't a good story. And it wasn't true to the X-Men. In fact, it wasn't an X-Men story. It was Wolverine part 1. With X-Men 2 and 3 being Wolverine 2 and 3.

And it's ok to redo stuff. I mean, the new Star Trek movie is a reboot and it's friggin awesome. You have to have a good story, good acting, and you have to do all the little things right. Also, the less you change (costumes, personalities) the better.

I had no problem with the Xmen movie

that doesnt say much, seeing that you liked superman returns. ;)

I'm hoping your not thinking your superior because you didn't like those movies?

You never see me picking on your tastes now do I? <_>

I'm hoping your not thinking your superior because you didn't like those movies?

You never see me picking on your tastes now do I? <_<

lighten up! i was just messin with you.

You never see me picking on your tastes now do I? <_<

lighten up! i was just messin with you.

that doesn't say much, seeing that you didn't like the x-men films ;)

Like most things Marvel, after a couple of years when the hype dies down people see things for what they really are. Now X2 always gets a pass (I don't know why) but X1 is the terrible, Singer's vision for everything sucks, I am a Supes fan and Superman Returns was the worst treatment EVER for Superman. I'd rather watch It's a bird, its a plane, its Superman than Superman Returns

The X movies sucked monkey nuts, and the only reason X3 is the best of the bunch is strictly because of the action and the characters, watching Magneto lift the Golden Gate was AWESOME, and the only time you see the extent of what the character can do, also who isn't tired of Wolverine saving the world with his claws...yawn.

Oh, and to show I am not totally biased, I don't care for any of the first 4 Batman movies, the first one is ok, very dated but ok, the last 3 were utter garbage, every villain was basically the Joker with a new gimic, Two-face, Riddler, Mr Freeze were all played like how the Joker, should or could be played, zany nonsense.

I have read some stuff with the Joker in and watched alot of Joker's appearances. The shenanigans in the nurses outfit and the pencil trick were joker-esque, but didn't feel it. Sure, the Joker is a demented serial killer, but the deadly pranks are still there, like frying someone with a overpowered Joy Buzzer, or like in the 89 movie, shooting down the Batwing with an oversized revolver. The reason I say this is because rewatching the Dark Knight, the bank massacre didn't fit the Joker, not did crashing the police ceremony, or burning the millions of dollars, or killing Rachel...or blowing up the ship. They didn't feel like Joker capers

Exulted Unicron,

You're absolutely right. Joker would never attack the loved ones of his enemies to piss them off.

Sincerely,

Jim Gordon (dead wife and father of a parapalegic) and Batman (dead sidekick)

Perhaps Nolan and Goyer should write the next Batman script based on "The Laughing Fish" because according to you using elements in a movie from "The Killing Joke" isn't a good idea.

what were thy thinking, doing this to such a mainstream comic?! these look NOTHING like any of the xmen characters!

storm.jpg

xmen007.jpg

sabretooth.jpg

15288__magneto_l.jpg

Eh, the costumes were WAY off. I think they casted well for Jean, Prof X, Magneto, and Mystique (well, her make-up was pretty spot-on; anyone coulda played her tho). Wolverine wasn't a horrible cast job..tho, he is too tall.

All that aside, it just wasn't a good story. And it wasn't true to the X-Men. In fact, it wasn't an X-Men story. It was Wolverine part 1. With X-Men 2 and 3 being Wolverine 2 and 3.

And it's ok to redo stuff. I mean, the new Star Trek movie is a reboot and it's friggin awesome. You have to have a good story, good acting, and you have to do all the little things right. Also, the less you change (costumes, personalities) the better.

Time to nit pic:

So you're only problem with Wolverine is he's too tall? WHO GIVES A DAMN! One of the silliest things I've ever heard. Next you're gonna tell me Michael Clarke Duncan was a horrible Kingpin because he was black. Or Heath Ledger was a terrible Joker because he wore face paint instead of having bleach white skin. Or how about Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor because he occasionally wore a wig.

The costumes were way off...for one film. I couldn't have been the only one to grab New X-Men. Besides I don't think Jim Lee's ridiculous spandex/leather jacket uni's would have translated well.

The story revolved around Wolverine because he's the only character in the franchise worth revolving it around. "That's not true!" Then why the hell is he in every single X-Men comic PLUS New Avengers? I don't recall too many X-Comics that have survived without him.

Now I don't agree with his characterization in X3 (no way is he the Knute Rockne halftime speech leader they made him out to be) but that film was a train wreck the moment Singer left the project. I thought the first two were OK.

storm.jpg

xmen007.jpg

sabretooth.jpg

15288__magneto_l.jpg

Time to nit pic:

So you're only problem with Wolverine is he's too tall? WHO GIVES A DAMN! One of the silliest things I've ever heard. Next you're gonna tell me Michael Clarke Duncan was a horrible Kingpin because he was black. Or Heath Ledger was a terrible Joker because he wore face paint instead of having bleach white skin. Or how about Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor because he occasionally wore a wig.

The costumes were way off...for one film. I couldn't have been the only one to grab New X-Men. Besides I don't think Jim Lee's ridiculous spandex/leather jacket uni's would have translated well.

The story revolved around Wolverine because he's the only character in the franchise worth revolving it around. "That's not true!" Then why the hell is he in every single X-Men comic PLUS New Avengers? I don't recall too many X-Comics that have survived without him.

Now I don't agree with his characterization in X3 (no way is he the Knute Rockne halftime speech leader they made him out to be) but that film was a train wreck the moment Singer left the project. I thought the first two were OK.

i didnt like ANY parts of ANY x-men (1,2,3) movie besides wolvey, professor x, beast, and the nightcrawler scene....and yes hes too damned tall! from 5'3" to 6'2" is a hell of an increase for a character thats known for of his size. as far as the costumes go....BS! they put spiderman and superman in spandex! and yes! michael clarke duncan shouldnt've been the kingpin. who gives a damn if lex wore a wig or not?.. thats not changing too much of anything. adding realism to a film is one thing, f**king it up is another! lets do this....we'll make the hulk blue to better suit the directors vision, like they did with kingpin.(changing a 6'7" 450 pound white man into a black man.) maybe they should try that in reverse for a black panther flick? i can see it now...brad pitt as...T"Challa! i hear that thor's movie is coming....lets find a guy thats 5'9 to play him! i mean, what the hell....size doesnt matter! you hear people complaining all of the time about things as small as the DCU lobo fig is too tall, or sinestro is too short, and you dont think that a multi-million dallor movie should at least get it right? i feel that making the characters look and feel like the comic was the whole point? i dont mind change if its for the better. but you are right about no other x-man being able to hold a story, or make it through the years on his own like wolvey! by the way, am i the only one who liked the wolvey movie?, or sabretooth for that matter?