DC Films vs Marvel Films

RockthePlank

This thread is mostly opinion based. We've got a nice list going thanks to pooda of Marvel and DC movies that sucked

crappy DC movies

steel

batman and robin

batman forever

superman returns

v is for vendetta

cat-woman

the spirit

marvel crappy movies

blade

blade 3

spiderman 3

fantastic four 2

x-men

x-men 3

hulk

ghostrider

elektra

daredevil

howard the duck

the punisher (dolph)

the punisher (jane)

man-thing

Now pooda, I stand my ground, Blade didn't suck. I agree number two is the best, and number three was terrible (Ryand Reynolds, stay out of Marvel) but one was the begining. Sure "La Magra" was lame, but it showed us vampires in a new light.

Did anyone see Wolverine? I was all set to go the Friday it opened but I got a call from my brother and a 15 minute voice mail about how much it sucked, so I think I will wait for this one.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the movies (I removed direct to video and stuff that was just ridiculously old). I am rating them 0-5 with 0 being complete and utter crap and 5 being a movie that is good enough to be compared with non-comic book movies (breaks thru the genre). A 2.5 would be average (neither good nor bad).

I got these lists from Wikipedia; I think V for Vendetta isn't on here because it wasn't an original DC comic. If I'm wrong or if there are other movies that should be added, let me know and I'll add them. FWIW, I'd give V a 3.

Marvel

Howard the Duck (1986) = 2

The Punisher (1989) = 0

Blade (1998) = 2

X-Men (2000) = 2.5

Blade II (2002) = 2

Spider-Man (2002) = 4.5

Daredevil (2003) = 2

X2: X-Men United (2003) = 3

Hulk (2003) = 0

The Punisher (2004) = 2

Spider-Man 2 (2004) = 4.5

Blade: Trinity (2004) = 0

Elektra (2005) = 1

Fantastic Four (2005) = 2

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) = 1

Ghost Rider (2007) = 0

Spider-Man 3 (2007) = 2

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) = 2

Iron Man (2008) = 5

The Incredible Hulk (2008) = 3

Punisher: War Zone (2008) = N/A - I haven't seen it; based on reviews it's probably not my cup of tea

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) = 1

DC Comics

Superman (1978) = 4.5

Superman II (1980) = 4

Swamp Thing (1982) = N/A - Don't even remember this.

Superman III (1983) = 1

Supergirl (1984) = 0

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987) = 0

The Return of Swamp Thing (1989) = N/A - Don't even remember this.

Batman (1989) = 3

Batman Returns (1992) = 3

Batman Forever (1995) = 2

Steel (1997) = 0

Batman & Robin (1997) = 1

Catwoman (2004) = 0

Batman Begins (2005) = 4.5

Superman Returns (2006) = 2

The Dark Knight (2008) = 5+ (best comic book movie ever made imho)

The Spirit (2008) = N/A - Didn't see it; heard it was horrible

Watchmen (2009) = 3

Also, fwiw, I tend to like Marvel more than DC; But I can appreciate a good movie and I know the crappy ones when I see them too.

This thread is mostly opinion based. We've got a nice list going thanks to pooda of Marvel and DC movies that sucked

crappy DC movies

steel

batman and robin

batman forever

superman returns

v is for vendetta

cat-woman

the spirit

marvel crappy movies

blade

blade 3

spiderman 3

fantastic four 2

x-men

x-men 3

hulk

ghostrider

elektra

daredevil

howard the duck

the punisher (dolph)

the punisher (jane)

man-thing

Now pooda, I stand my ground, Blade didn't suck. I agree number two is the best, and number three was terrible (Ryand Reynolds, stay out of Marvel) but one was the begining. Sure "La Magra" was lame, but it showed us vampires in a new light.

Did anyone see Wolverine? I was all set to go the Friday it opened but I got a call from my brother and a 15 minute voice mail about how much it sucked, so I think I will wait for this one.

For DC, I would remove Superman Returns (really not that bad) and add Superman III, Superman IV, Supergirl and Return of the Swamp Thing. V for Vendetta stays because it was changed from decent graphic novel to "This is what George Bush is doing to you." Constantine comes close.

For Marvel, I would remove Blade, X-Men and the Punisher (Thomas Jane) and add Captain America (boo rubber ears) and that garbage FF film that was so bad it was never released.

You guys are harsh critics. I liked the DD directors cut and I liked the Jane Punisher, though both did have problems. I also liked the X-Men movies, even the 3rd one which was a little too busy. I don't think Ghost Rider was crappy, either, though it wasn't great. Nobody's going to defend Elektra. That was as bad and boring as it gets.

I would give my favorites but then I would be accused of being biased. But I will share a few thoughts:

-Wolverine was OK, it's worth a matinee showing.

-The Daredevil Director's Cut is so much better than the theatrical version. It's like a totally different movie and it feels like a Daredevil story rather than a Spider-Man story.

-I really like the first two Spider-Man movies, but every time I watch them I like them less. And it's because Kirsten Dunst is a horrible, horrible choice for Mary Jane Watson. I don't even see the chemistry between her and Tobey Maguire, among other things.

I would give my favorites but then I would be accused of being biased. But I will share a few thoughts:

-Wolverine was OK, it's worth a matinee showing.

-The Daredevil Director's Cut is so much better than the theatrical version. It's like a totally different movie and it feels like a Daredevil story rather than a Spider-Man story.

-I really like the first two Spider-Man movies, but every time I watch them I like them less. And it's because Kirsten Dunst is a horrible, horrible choice for Mary Jane Watson. I don't even see the chemistry between her and Tobey Maguire, among other things.

I agree, I can't stand Kirsten Dunst and I dont really care for her acting. So wooden and unnatural, I can't really stand any of the spidermans actually.

DD Directors cut was much better than the original, but I like the original anyhow.

Wow i can't belive some of the hates on blade all three were great movies. while i agree that the blood beast was kinda lame or weak. The over all movie was bad azz. And blade 3 wasn't as bad as people seem to make it out to be.

And the spiderman movies except 3 were ground breaking for hero movies. And dare devil was really under rated and so was fantastic 4 and the directors cut of DD was nice too. janes punisher was another under rated move. The dolph punisher was crap i will give you that and the punisher war zone was just Ehh but jane's punisher was the most belivable of them all.

And swapm thing was kool for what it was at the time. Now man things was crap because sic fi made it and they seem to make awful movies.And electra was bull hockey too. Capt america was just so bad theres no words for it and iron man IMO wasn't that great to me it was ok but didn't really catch me like i thought it would.

You guys are harsh critics. I liked the DD directors cut and I liked the Jane Punisher, though both did have problems. I also liked the X-Men movies, even the 3rd one which was a little too busy. I don't think Ghost Rider was crappy, either, though it wasn't great. Nobody's going to defend Elektra. That was as bad and boring as it gets.

DD and Punisher aren't good, but are watchable. Maybe I should have rated them 2.5s. Ghost Rider wasn't good on any level.

There seems to be a lot more love for the Tom Jane Punisher than I would have thought. To this day, that is the only movie I have ever seen by myself at the movies. I personally didn't care for the movie that much (but I bought it on DVD for some reason) but Tom didn't really sell the punisher to me. He was more of the Abercrombie and Fitch Punisher. Why the hell was he in Tampa Florida anyways? Punisher is part of the gritty underbelly on NY, its important to his character.

Also, I am saying it here and now, I like X3! Kelsey Grammer as Beast is the best casting in those movies since Patrick Stewart as Xavier.

I guess the best way to put it (in no order) would be:

Top 3 DC - The Dark Knight, Watchmen, Batman Begins

Top 3 Marvel - X2, Ironman, Hulk (fav charcter with fav actor Ed Norton)

Worst 3 DC - Catwoman, Superman II, Batman and Robin

Worst 3 Marvel - Elektra, Spiderman 3 (had SOOO much potential) Punisher (Dolph didn't even have a skull on his chest, just some crappy knives!)

I am just glad they make comic movies, while there are some horrible abortions of film out there, some are actually pretty nice and could invite people not familiar with this genre.

I guess the best way to put it (in no order) would be:

Top 3 DC - The Dark Knight, Watchmen, Batman Begins

Top 3 Marvel - X2, Ironman, Hulk (fav charcter with fav actor Ed Norton)

Worst 3 DC - Catwoman, Superman II, Batman and Robin

Worst 3 Marvel - Elektra, Spiderman 3 (had SOOO much potential) Punisher (Dolph didn't even have a skull on his chest, just some crappy knives!)

I am just glad they make comic movies, while there are some horrible abortions of film out there, some are actually pretty nice and could invite people not familiar with this genre.

You like Incredible Hulk and X2 better than Spiderman 1 & 2? You think Superman II is one of DCs worst?

I agree with your last statement.

good movies

DC

superman 1&2

batman

batman returns

batman begins

batman the dark knight

swampthing

watchmen

marvel

ironman

spiderman 1&2

blade 2

fantastic four(ok at best)

x-men 2

wolverine

hulk (second one)

punisher war zone

I donno guys... I REALLY liked Superman Returns (aside from his superkid)

and I hated all the X-men movies.

I think as a whole, DC has done better with their movies.

the only Marvel movies I really like are Ironman, Spiderman 1 and 2, and Incredible Hulk (except for Abomination's appearance).

One of the greatest things that has bothered me through the years is the massive hate for Superman 4, the execution was bad but overall the story was excellent and Nuclear Man was a perfect bad dude to Supes, again the execution was bad but the story had/has potential. The budget reduced big time, but think about it, even with the limited budget they had they tried to make a real Superman movie. He fought all over the world, again the execution was bad but the concepts were amazing even by today's standards. what they were able to do was admirable on half of the budget they originally had for this project.

Imagine if they took the Superman 4 story line with the serious treatment most comic movies are given, took the story and made it for today with a huge budget, its like a real comic book on the screen, fighting all over the world, in space, on the moon, that STUFF IS AWESOME.

Suck ass hero movies

X-Men 1 and 2

Punisher (Dolph)

Daredevil

Hulk

Supergirl

Blade 3

Superman returns = the worst offender of the lot

Movies that are panned but I think were good

Punisher with Travolta

X-Men 3

Superman 4

Blade 1

BTW, all the Spidey movies are direct rips of the Superman movies

SM 1 is essentially Superman 1

With great powers comes great responsibility...ummm All the things I can do, all these powers and I couldn't even save him, quotes regarding dead Dad's that motivate the character.

SM 2 is a direct rip of Superman 2, Supes loses his powers, so does Spidey

SM 3 is again a direct rip, Superman goes bad and so does Spidey

My take on things:

Marvel

Howard the Duck (1986) A campy movie from a not-too seriouscomic book series. I think it was true to the source.

The Punisher (1989) Good enough for early Marvel movies. Kind of an extension of those Hulk made for TV movies. Could have used the skull but at least the origin was true to the books. And Frank has tangled with the Yakuza, so it works.

Blade (1998) One of my favorites. Great for a non-superhero movie.

X-Men (2000) Good for getting people used to mutants, but as usual didn't follow the books by mixing up the roster. I hate that.

Blade II (2002) A good action movie, but I liked it less than the other two.

Spider-Man (2002) One of my favorites. Except for choice of villian, good series starter. Could used Lizard.

Daredevil (2003) Never saw.

X2: X-Men United (2003) Decent movie. Love the drop the knives scene on the porch, and focused more on lesser featured characters.

Hulk (2003) Terrible!

The Punisher (2004) I liked it overall, except bonding with neighbors. Blah!

Spider-Man 2 (2004) so-so, coulda been worse. Still no lizard!

Blade: Trinity (2004) Awesome, and Reynolds added to it. He fit for his jockular attitude and made it less depressing.

Elektra (2005) Never saw.

Fantastic Four (2005) Good starter movie, just like Spider-man. Sandman was awesome, except tie-in to uncle Ben.

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) Just weird. Killing people who are not dead and a sorta Phoenix. What a waste!

Ghost Rider (2007) Decent, I believe it worked out alright.

Spider-Man 3 (2007) Stupid overall, by not following the books.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) Decent. Tolerable to watch.

Iron Man (2008) Just plain awesome, except villian choice.

The Incredible Hulk (2008) Didn't see.

Punisher: War Zone (2008) I haven't seen it.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) I haven't seen it.

DC Comics

Superman (1978) Dated, but awesome.

Superman II (1980) Filmed simultaneously, truly an extension of the first. Could do without the love story, but oh well. KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

Swamp Thing (1982) Decent for an off beat source.

Superman III (1983) Liked when I was a kid, but now it tries my patience. Shoulda fought Brainiac like they planned.

Supergirl (1984) Bad, but with a good villian and/or Superman cameo coulda worked.

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987) Watch this with commentary, you'll understand how the studio de-railed this.

The Return of Swamp Thing (1989) Barely remember, except Hather Thomas. Thats the best part!

Batman (1989) Too cheesy. Definitely dated in the '90's urban influence. Batdance anyone? Joker isn't dead!

Batman Returns (1992) Series progression is good, but the mass appeal aspects ruin it. Theres that love story nonsense again.

Batman Forever (1995) New Bruce Wayne?, but Tommy Lee jones and the Riddler. Yay! Mass appeal aspects ruin it.

Steel (1997) Just bad!

Batman & Robin (1997) New Bruce Wayne again? Driving on rooftops? please! Batgirl Alfreds neice? Did they ever read the books? Freeze, Ivy, and Bane were a plausable mix. Freeze shoulda been another actor. Arnold did OK, but not his type of role.

Catwoman (2004) Just bad! There is that urban influence again.

Batman Begins (2005) Awesome, except that damn crappy villian choice again. Not that Scarecrow was bad, but the tie to League of Shadows irked me.

Superman Returns (2006) I liked it a lot, except everyone was younger than they were in the original? Kevin Spacey rulez!

The Dark Knight (2008) Awesome, not as much as the hype, but awesome.

The Spirit (2008) Don't care to see it.

Watchmen (2009) Don't care to see it.

Also, the old Captain America movie never gets its due. It is a low budget flick that follows the story, has believable action, and Caps #1 villian. If I could own a copy on DVD I'd buy it.

crappy DC movies

steel

batman and robin

batman forever

superman returns

v is for vendetta

cat-woman

the spirit

marvel crappy movies

blade

blade 3

spiderman 3

fantastic four 2

x-men

x-men 3

hulk

ghostrider

elektra

daredevil

howard the duck

the punisher (dolph)

the punisher (jane)

man-thing

x-men, spiderman3, and blade were good, not great but certainly not crappy

I felt compelled to respond to this since I realized the other day I've seen just about every movie from both companies (except blade trinity, but I'll be watching that in the next few days)

Marvel

The Punisher (1989) good 80's action movie. too generic for the punisher (especially the lack of skull)

Blade (1998) surprisingly good movie, especially for arguably the first of the comic movies of the past decade

X-Men (2000) solid start. alot of flaws, but still an enjoyable movie

Blade II (2002) havent seen it for a while. i remember it being a solid followup tho

Spider-Man (2002) hated it the first time i saw it, love it more everytime i watch it. currently one of my favorites

Daredevil (2003) decent movie, too many little (important) things were changed from the comic. i still have to see the directors cut

X2: X-Men United (2003) excellent. really not alot you can say, they did just about everything right

Hulk (2003) terrible. one of the most boring movies ive ever seen

The Punisher (2004) good movie, stuff cahnged from the comics, but still an enjoyable movie

Spider-Man 2 (2004) terrible. i hate this movie the more i watch it, and i hate it even more when people say its the best superhero movie ever (which was the consensus up until about a year ago)

Blade: Trinity (2004) havent seen it yet, I'll be watching it in a few days

Elektra (2005) eh. boring. really no point to it. but i love elektra, and jennifer garner haha. so it gets some points there

Fantastic Four (2005) way too campy, Thing and Torch are the only 2 good casting choices. felt like a tv movie overall.

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) seemed rushed. angel should have become an official xman. beast was cool. i didnt like professor x dying and coming back as some soulless middle aged guy or whatever

Ghost Rider (2007) the directors cut is actually kind of boring. but overall its a decent movie. Ghostrider comics arent Shakespear, so they did a good enough job.

Spider-Man 3 (2007) slightly worse than Spidey 2. mainly because of the Emo/Dance scenes. and you could time Venoms onscreen appearance with a stop watch.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) Silver surfer was good, everything else really wasn't. especially the power trading.

Iron Man (2008) Really did everything right. perfect casting, good enough origin story, followed the comics almost perfectly. almost no complaints with it

The Incredible Hulk (2008) much better than the first, and a pretty good/fun movie on its own. loved the references to the original show

Punisher: War Zone (2008) weird. kinda cartoony, but super violent at the same time. I love the punisher, so I liked it, but I just thought it was weird.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) I'll be seeing this one in the next few days as well.

DC Comics

Batman (1966) good continuation of the show. since thats not on dvd, the movies nice to have around

Superman (1978)sure its dated, but its still a great movie. all the characters are there and done right

Superman II (1980) the love story could go, but Zod and the gang more than made up for that

Swamp Thing (1982) good corny movie

Superman III (1983) eh, pretty boring. shouldve been Braniac

Supergirl (1984) watched part of it a looong time ago. not terrific. my dad only has the 2+ hour directors cut, so I'm still trying to talk myself into watching it

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987) i saw it when i was little and didnt like it. I might be able to appreciate it more now

The Return of Swamp Thing (1989) not great. the opening credits are the best part, so tahts not saying much for the movie

Batman (1989) great movie. joker dying wasnt ideal, but all in all very good.

Batman Returns (1992) I might like it better than the first one. possibly my favorite of the original 4 movies. not a huge penguin fan, but I liked this version of him

Batman Forever (1995) robin was too old, but I liked him. jim carrey was ok as riddler, tommy lee jones wasnt. val kilmer was bland. overall the movies like half good

Steel (1997) saw this about 10 years ago. I just remember it sucking

Batman & Robin (1997) george clooney was a good bruce wayne, and bane looked cool. those are about the only 2 good things in the whole movie

Catwoman (2004) terrible. boring, cliche, completly different from the source material

Constantine (2005) good reimagining. I still think Keanu would have been a perfect Sandman. I'm looking forward to the sequel. oh! the V-Dub guy as Satan was perfect

Batman Begins (2005) Another almost perfect movie. liam neeson was a very good Ra's. and I liked that the movie didnt rely on big name villains

Superman Returns (2006) a basic remake of the first movie. nothin really new. the movies good up until he flies away from saving the plan. after that you can basically quit watching. oh yeah, Superson was terrible. So he erases Lois' memory in the second movie, then leaves Earth for 5(?) years, so Superman's a date rapist and a dead beat dad I guess.

V for Vendetta (2006) One of my favorite comic movies. actually better than the book. the changes actually helped it.

The Dark Knight (2008) very good, but the editing was weird. it seemed like alot of scenes were cut out. kinda of blown out of proportion as 'teh best movie evarrr!!!111', but for making a 'realistic' superhero movie, it works.

The Spirit (2008) weird, quirky, but oddly enjoyable. Sammy L basically makes the movie worth seeing. especially the Nazi scene.

Watchmen (2009) Absolutly loved it, but dissapointed at the same time. It might have been too accurate. there were almost no surprises while watching it. coulda gone without Dr. M's blue.... regions, but still a great movie. it'll definitly be helped by the directors cut

Oh, I forgot to do my 3 best and worst

Best DC: Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Watchmen

Best Marvel: X2, Iron Man, Punisher '04

Worst DC: catwoman, Batman & Robin, Steel

Worst Marvel: Hulk, Spidey 2 & 3. Maaaaaybe the first F4. thats interchangeable with either Spidey sequel

Now, I am a Marvel fan through and through. Although the Nolan Batman films are pretty good, along witht he classic superman flms (yeah, the reeve movies) and the Tim Burton Batman films. The rest of DCs movies have either been Meh fests for me or total crapfests. The crapfests for me being JLA and the Joel Schumacher Batman films. Yeah. I understad he was trying to make more family friendly movies that felt like a comic book, bit they came off as being really cheesy and crappy.

Now, I'm gonna do something tp what many would deem unthinkable. Rant on the Nolan films. First off, Bale is pretty good as Bruce, but does he have to unintelligably growl his lines? Also, thats not Gotham...it looks more like New York, LA, Chicago or even Miami. It doesn't have that mix of architecture that Gotham is famous for. My final point is one i believe is the most contraversial. Heath Ledger....NOT the Joker. Now, I'm npot gonna say Ceaser i the best or Hamill or even Nicholson. No. This is my problem:

The Joker is the Clown Prince of Crime. Heath Ledger's Joker was nothing more than a deranged serial killer wearing a Joker costume. I know Nolan was tryong to be serious, but jeez, no witty one liners? no lethal gags and pranks?