Star Trek Final Opening Weekend Tally Up To $79.2 Million

JayC

I feel disappointed by that number, I was really expecting a bigger turnout. Especially because it was playing on 4 different screens at 3 different times at my local theater. Wolverine had 2 screens at midnight and that was it

I thought I heard today that Trek did 75 million on Friday

As of Friday the movie has brought in an estimated total of $31 million. Some anylyst are saying that the movie is on track to bring in a total opening weekend take of $65-$75 million which is pretty good, but I still think this thing could reach in to the 80 million range. The theatre was sold out today when I went to see it for a second time.

Did you see Wolvie dropped off like over 80% from last week? Yikes!

:blink: Damn

Alright, it was closer to 70% but still. I think Star Trek is gettng good word of mouth for the most part so hopefully it will do very well in the long run.

Well Trek pulled in $76.5 million domestically and $35.5 worldwide

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=15107

I'm disapointed I thought it would have done better

I think people hear its Trek and think its the same old thing we had before

That's largely it. The studios were expecting/hoping for a $50-$60 million opening though, so it performed noticeably above expectations. That's good. It probably hasn't fully opened "worldwide" yet, either. Good word of mouth should keep it performing reasonably well, even if Angels and Demons will likely boot it out of the top spot next weekend.

Well Trek pulled in $76.5 million domestically and $35.5 worldwide

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=15107

I'm disapointed I thought it would have done better

I think people hear its Trek and think its the same old thing we had before

That's largely it. The studios were expecting/hoping for a $50-$60 million opening though, so it performed noticeably above expectations. That's good. It probably hasn't fully opened "worldwide" yet, either. Good word of mouth should keep it performing reasonably well, even if Angels and Demons will likely boot it out of the top spot next weekend.

I think Star Trek could end up like Batman Begins. That film didn't have a huge opening weekend (by comparison/expectations), but the word of mouth and positive reception caused it to pull solid numbers for several weeks. So I wouldn't be surprised if the film broke the 250 Million mark by the end of its theatre run, it will just take longer.

I see theaters are already moving it to smaller screens to shift focus to Angels & Demons. That may cut down on sales. Angels & Demons doesn't strike me as necessary to be seen on the biggest screen, but more seats=more money. :(

Star Trek did lose its' number one spot to Angels and Demons, but only barely. Angels and Demons made $48 million, Star Trek made $43 million. Overall it had a less than a 45% drop from week one to week two, which is absolutely fantastic by Hollywood summer blockbuster standards.

However, next weekend may hurt it badly, as both Terminator: Salvation and Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian cut directly into its' audience. (Terminator for the sci-fi fans, Night at the Museum 2 for those looking for relatively "family friendly" entertainment...which with the exception of a curseword and a very tame almost-sex scene, Star Trek mostly was).

If it can survive with only say, a 50% drop, then I'd say it's well on its' way to $300 million. We'll see.

JJ Abrams told Howard Stern that if the movie made 79 mil (as Stern projected), JJ would...um...<bleep>...Stern. On your knees JJ.

Was Abrams thinking more or less a number than that?

JJ Abrams told Howard Stern that if the movie made 79 mil (as Stern projected), JJ would...um...<bleep>...Stern. On your knees JJ.

Was Abrams thinking more or less a number than that?

Less , he thought around 40-50 mil .

Trek slipped to third this week as expected

Box Office May 22-24 Estimated Sales

$53.5M Night At The Museum: Battle Smithsonian

$43M Terminator Salvation

$21.9M Star Trek

$21.4M Angels & Demons

$11.1M Dance Flick

$7.9M X-Men Origins: Wolverine

$3.7M The Ghosts Of Girlfriends Past

2M Obsessed

$1.3M Monsters vs. Aliens