Star Trek Opens In Theatres & IMAX Today

JayC

But here's the number 1 reason why they would do a new Trek in the "New" Timeline: new fans.

The old fans alone weren't enough to keep a Star Trek TV Show afloat. The new fans have showed that a Star Trek movie can dominate at the box office. Paramount wants those fans in addition to the old fans. I don't think they'd get that if they went back to the old style. It just wouldn't sell as "not your father's Star Trek." It's gotta be "new" and "fresh."

Granted, I don't think the Enterprise crew would necessarily be the focus of a new TV show due to the movies, there could be another ship/crew or some other angle to bring a new TV show.

Ultimately, I doubt a new TV show will even happen. Maybe after Abrams and company are done making Trek movies, then maybe a TV show would pop up, but probably not until then. I hope I'm wrong though.

I think some of you guys might be misunderstanding me a lil bit. I fully understand that this is an alternate time line. I did hear the rushed bridge dialog that sweep the classic & next gen right out the door. & yes it is a "doing away with" of the established universe I don't care what kind of PR spin Paramount or Abrams tries to put on this.

Any time ST (be it any of its encarnations) as tackeled the "mirror universe, or paralle dimention thing, it has always done so by incorperating the concept in to the hub of the plot. Example: DS9. We would all think that their mirror eps where their evil double gangers slip through the transporters would be wack if after watching half way through the eps & quick sentance or two is thrown out there for the audiance to quickly catch that this is not the regular crew of DS9. But in fact its been taken over by their evil paralle double gangers. We would all be like WTF!!

that's why I don't buy in to this alternate time line business. Abrams just was looking for a quick easy non time consuming way of brooming 45 FRACKIN years of Trek history and culture out the door with a single breath of mediocer script writing.

Hell I would even be suprised if that lil bit of diaolog was litteraly penciled in the margins of the main script................as a mear after thought. Like one of the assitant directors or what ever tapped him on the shoulder one day just as they were nearing post production & said "hay Mr. Abrams, what did you want to do about the continuity issue?"

Abrams: "what! what issue?! oh yeah that right, the old stuff has to be explained away. tell you what kid here's your shot. Have some thing on my desk this time tomorrow. If its workable then its ago".

I think hollywood has gotten totaly "flip" & cavilier about quality script writeing. especialy when the fans are so undemanding & just looking to see some actor on screen act out their fantacy of blowing sh*t up.

If there ends up being a new TV show, and I hope there will be, I'd bet good money that it would be in this "New" Timeline.

I disagree for a few reasons:

1. No doubt the Enterprise and her crew are "locked in" for the movies, so no one else is really going to get to play with them as characters, and further developing the timeline outside the movie might tie JJ Abrams' hands as far as what -he- wants to do with the timeline. I don't think Paramount will let that happen.

2. Budget - Pulling off the "look" and "feel" of the new Trek timeline would probably cost way too much for a weekly TV series. People would end up disappointed that it doesn't match-up. However the TNG/et al... aesthetic can definitely be done on a TV budget (though they might regret having auctioned off so much of their old stuff).

3. Fanbase - Paramount knows there are lots of people out there that love them some TNG/DS9/Etc... They know these folks are concerned that that timeline is "going away" or being discarded. They'd be wise to do something high-profile to assure them that's not the case...like producing a new TV series. The trick is just making sure the writing is quality and that it doesn't stomp all over existing continuity for that setting (I'm lookin' at you, Enterprise, even if I liked you).

Oh beleive me if they want to make this into a TV show they will the only question is when

I just saw it to day and was blown away with how good it was. I do feel sorry we will likely never see the Next Gen crew ageain on the big screen but glad they did such a good job with this new bunch.

I saw it last Thursday and then again yesterday. I'm not going to go into a big review or anything, but let me just say that it was much more enjoyable the second time. The reason? I had far too many expectations when I saw it the first time. The second time around, I left my geeky Trek self at home and just enjoyed it for the story and the visuals rather than trying to analyze it and make it fit in with the previous 40 years of Trek.

I saw it with my brother the first time and my ex the second. They both loved the movie. I did too. Perfect? No, but definitely worth seeing!

I loved it.

In the next Star Trek movie Spocks dad, Sarek, marries Kirks mom, Winona Kirk. Hilarity ensues:

KIRK: This house is a Vulcan prison!

SPOCK: On Planet Bull$#it! (a word he learned from Kirk)

KIRK: In the galaxy of This Sucks Sehlat Dicks! (an animal Kirk learned about from Spock)

WINONA KIRK: (opens door to Spock and James' room) Guys... guys. Guys!

SPOCK: (waking up) "I'll kill you, Leonard Nimoy!"

SPOCK: (to parents) Can we turn our beds into bunkbeds?

KIRK: (pleading) It'll give us so much extra space in our room to do activities.

SPOCK: It's only logical.

SAREK: You're adults, you can do what you want.

SPOCK: This is the funnest night ever!

I just got back from seeing it, and I absolutely loved it. It was a thrilling joyride for me...

I experienced an emotion I wasn't prepared for after watching this movie though; I feel so very old! (lol) To have grown up watching the original series (in reruns of course), see the movies come about, then to see the eventual spin-offs, The Next Generation, Deep Space 9, Voyager, Enterprise, and of course the "Next Generation" sequels...man, it just seemed like this movie was a huge milestone.

But anyway, besides the overwhelming feeling of the passage of time I felt (lol), I thoroughly enjoyed this film for many, many reasons. For one, I loved how they retained somewhat of the feel for the original series. Everything had this optimistic and idealistic feeling of the "brighter tomorrow", like an Atomic Age/1950s/1960s "Space Race" optimism that really fit the original series, but with slicker designs, effects and technology. It was a cool mix of the old and new, so it was just perfect. Also I was suprised at how much they acknowledged what had come before; they didn't just completely disregard everything like I was expecting.

The cast was spot-on, especially Bones. The guy that played him...it was almost uncanny. I loved him. And the guy that played Scotty made the character a more humorous character, which to me seems to fit perfectly for some reason. A funny Scotty just feels completely right to me.

I loved Kirk's bravado. Chris Pine just did an outstanding job. Yeah, I would like to see him become more stoic perhaps as the movies progress, but he's young and that will come with age I expect. I had read somewhere where in a review someone pointed out that Shatner's Kirk was Han Solo before we had a Han Solo, and to me that was an accurate description. And to me, having the young Kirk portrayed as the cocky, bar-hopping player he was in the film was just dead-on. It made perfect sense.

Zachary Quinto is Spock now as far as I'm concerned, no disrespect to Mr. Nimoy. I think he has passed the torch to a fitting replacement. I feel like he was an equal leading character to Pine's Kirk. They may have recaptured lightning in a bottle so to speak with the chemistry of this crew.

SPOILER ALERT!!

And I have to say, the first five minutes of this film grabbed me by the throat and just wrenched my heart out, to see Kirk's father step up and be this big hero that saved hundred's of lives, including Kirk's, to paraphrase Captain Pike from the movie. It was a nice treat and a new dimension to Kirk's past that I enjoyed. I also really enjoyed Captain Pike's character; I don't go far back enough to know much about him in the original series. I just have a passing knowledge or awareness of him...I just know he was in the un-televised first pilot and perhaps the first couple of episodes (if that), but that's about it. I really liked his character in the film...

I just can't say enough about this film. I wasn't too keen on Vulcan being destroyed, although "Old Spock" overseeing a Vulcan colony populating a new planet was kinda neat in the end. (Wonder if they'll call it Vulcan as well?) It is kinda neat to see Vulcans as this tragic, mysterious, and endangered race though. It makes Vulcans seem even more enigmatic in this new timeline than they already were.

I just loved it. It took what could have been seen as a very dated view of the future and suddenly made it seem new, fresh, and exciting again, all while retaining the core spirit of what has always made Star Trek great. I'd love to see it again, and soon.

My review,

Overall I really enjoyed it, but there were a few things that bothered me about the film. First off the Pro's: All of the actors in the movie did an outstanding job. Each actor/ actress really nailed the character. Especially Karl Urban/ " Bones " McCoy. He was amazing! He portrayed the role almost to perfection. I even think he snuck the famous line " Good god man!!!" in there somewhere at somepoint in the film. I loved it! He really had me goin'. The actors almost single handedly made this movie for me IMOP. It's great to finally get another film of this caliber that is almost entirely character driven and doesn't just have to rely on it's special effects. Another pro that I liked were the special effects. However I would have liked to see more planets in and around in the distance. Also, a couple of nebula's thrown in would have looked cool.

Now onto my Con's of the film: The story ( movie all together ) felt very rushed. It all happened way to fast in my opinion. Maybe it's because the film was such a feast visually and action wise, I don't know for sure. What really decided this for me was at the end of the film when Kirk was given instant Captain status, WHAT THE ****!!! I just didn't get that. They sould have left that for the sequel IMOP. I would have also really liked to have seen a greater indroduction of the Enterprise. Maybe an indroduction similar to the one in TMP. After all the Enterprise, even in this new film is regarded as the most advanced starship in the entire fleet at the time. The grand intro of the starship Enterprise in TMP is one of those crowning crescendo's in Sci-Fi movie history. One other thing was the villian. While acted brilliantly as always by Eric Bana, I thought that there should have been more attention and more explained regarding his character. They did this with the crew of the Enterprise but not as much with the villian. That's why Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is still my favorite of the entire series, because they really made you feel for Khan as a villian. Khan just drew you into his character. The last thing for me was the movie's score. I soooo miss the day's of Jerry Goldsmith and even James Horner. I wish that J.J. Abrams would have at least have been able to get Mr. Horner to do the work. This was something that really made the original films great. The Motion Picture would have really been screwed if not for the films score by Jerry Goldsmith. His score remains my all time favorite. I still watch TMP just to hear the music. It's phenomenal!

Well, that pretty much sums it up for me. Still a very exceptional movie in many ways. I do believe that this is the facelift that the Star Trek franchise needs. Especially to be able to adhere to a new, younger audience. My hope is that the sequel will beam it up another notch. Live long and prosper!

@trek@

I forgot to mention my thoughts on a couple more things...

ANOTHER SPOILER ALERT!!

Spock and Uhura's relationship; that was a curve-ball that I wasn't expecting, and I'm not sure I'm crazy about it. I just always viewed Spock as aloof and distant, therefore never giving in to any kind of meaningful relationship in terms of romance. That would just be illogical and unprofessional; right? But...at the same time, he was keeping it secret and it makes sense for him to have this secret emotional outlet considering he has this very human side paired with his deeply emotional Vulcan disposition. I guess it actually makes Spock a more four-dimentional character and that much more interesting I suppose.

I liked the actor they got to play Sarek. He has a quiet dignity and intelligent presence I like for the character, and also I liked how he and Spock actually have a seemingly good relationship. Originally in the past Sarek didn't fully accept his son because of his humanity. But this new Sarek is trying to help Spock realize that his emotions can be important, that he loved his very human wife, and in turn that love produced Spock, so his son shouldn't shy away from that but embrace it even. I just really liked that slant on their relationship. It was a nice touch.

Nero? Hmm...I liked the character. He was just so full of rage and dangerous, but I would have liked to see more restraint and intelligence on his part. But him being this violent wild card was kinda interesting. It just keeps you wondering how in the world the crew of the Enterprise is gonna defeat someone like this with such incredible power.

I love how they integrated old sound effects with the new. It made everything sound familiar and fresh all at the same time. And I also thought I wasn't gonna like the new engine room judging by the online pics with the pipes and stuff running everywhere. But it actually made sense to me; it reminded me of what an engine room might look like on an aircraft carrier or a battleship, and therefore it fit.

I'd just really like to see this movie again, to just really take everything in again and absorb it. And I think the next movie (you know there gonna make one) will be interesting given that the origins will be out of the way and we can see the crew all together like they're supposed to be from the get-go, off on their own new adventure. I think the future of Star Trek is once again very bright, and I'm extremely excited about it.

Nero? Hmm...I liked the character. He was just so full of rage and dangerous, but I would have liked to see more restraint and intelligence on his part. But him being this violent wild card was kinda interesting. It just keeps you wondering how in the world the crew of the Enterprise is gonna defeat someone like this with such incredible power.

Actually, I kind of liked that Nero wasn't some super-genius "Khan" type character. He was basically a Mine foreman/supervisor...a "blue collar" Romulan as it were. A little smarter and more charismatic than the rest of his crew, but he didn't have particularly deep plans. He just wanted to hurt (specific) people. He's a very angry man with a really big, nasty weapon at his disposal. I sympathized with the character for his loss...but his anger was pretty misplaced, I think. Still, without any viable outlet for that rage, he fixated on the easy target: The guy that just wasn't there quite in time to save Romulus despite his best efforts.

Truth be told, the Romulans in the TNG period should be MUCH better off than the Vulcans in the alter-Trek period....the Romulans are implied as having lots of colonies, outposts, and inhabited worlds within their section of space...so there are probably millions if not billions of them still around (in the TNG timeframe), more than enough to keep their society and culture alive. The Vulcans, as far as I know, pretty much just had Vulcan.

I think Sarek was played by the same actor who played Norrington in Pirates of the Carribean

No. Jack Davenport played Norrington, he then went on to be in that TV series 'Swingtown' about the 70's.

Ben Cross played Sarek. He was in Chariots of Fire many many years ago, and then he played Barnabas Collins in the remake of Dark Shadows back in the 90's. i would have to imdb him to see what else he's done.

I forgot to mention my thoughts on a couple more things...

ANOTHER SPOILER ALERT!!

Spock and Uhura's relationship; that was a curve-ball that I wasn't expecting, and I'm not sure I'm crazy about it. I just always viewed Spock as aloof and distant, therefore never giving in to any kind of meaningful relationship in terms of romance. That would just be illogical and unprofessional; right? But...at the same time, he was keeping it secret and it makes sense for him to have this secret emotional outlet considering he has this very human side paired with his deeply emotional Vulcan disposition. I guess it actually makes Spock a more four-dimentional character and that much more interesting I suppose.

Well we don't know exactly how big this relationship is, but strikes me as very similar to how they used to have Spock and Nurse Chapple dance around a relationship though Spock seems a little more open to it this time around. In the elevator he was very much just kind of standing there while Uhura kissed him not showing much emotion and telling her he needed her to keep performing admiralbly and then walked away. Later in the Transporter room he seemed a bit more emotional but then he had been through alot by then, so who knows how they will play it in the future.

I can easily enjoy a rip-roaring action adventure film replete with all variety of explosions and battles. However, I prefer the plot to hold together. When I first watched the film so much is going on that while I saw some problems I really didn't see the deficiencies in the film to the degree I did later because everything is moving so fast, maybe too fast. But once you see the film again or you sit back and try to make sense of all the stuff in the film and actually analyze the story the film really starts to have problems. Maybe the writers thought that with the whirlwind of events that occur in the film that you wouldn't catch on but I like to examine the story especially when it comes to these films or tv series that go out of their way to cover a lot of ground as it tends to be the preferred style these days.

I did love the exciting visual effects sequences--the Narada vs the Kelvin, Spock's ramming of the Narada with the ship from the future--, the epic visuals--Vulcan's destruction-- and inventive stunts like the atmospheric jump to the drill. I loved the updates on the TOS uniform. The colors were vibrant and rich and looked good on everyone. I didn't mind the cosmetic license the designers took with the Enterprise from either the interior or from the outside. I loved the clean white look and have ever since seeing it on the Prometheus from Voyager's "Message in a Bottle" and the Engineering set paid homage to the original and looked like I envisioned if it had a bigger budget. The Enterprise was a beauty to behold as was the Narada.

All the actors were well cast. I thought Chekov, McCoy, Kirk, Spock and Amanda did an excellent job capturing the mannerisms and essence of their original counterparts. Uhura felt a little different. On TOS, she was more of a gentle wilting flower or damsel-in-distress. Here she had a bit of spunk and sass which wasn't a bad thing. Scotty was a little over-the-top for my tastes. Doohan's Scotty was light-hearted and fun but Pegg needed to pull it back. From what little we saw this crew had chemistry and I liked all of them. In fact, I liked them so much I would have liked them to have had more focus. If there was one thing that I felt was missing was the emotion. Trek is at

itsbest when mixing its humanity with the action. Even weaker Trek films like Generations or Insurrection had those moments of reflection that were pretty much absent here. This was mostly jumping from one action piece to the next with little time to absorb what happened.

I started to come to this conclusion when I realized I had intellectually recognized that the writers did something pretty bold and destroyed Vulcan yet it didn't emotionally register. It wasn't carry the kind of shock and impact it really should have viscerally. This is afterall a founding member of the Federation and a world that has been part of Trek since the beginning yet its destruction carried about as much resonance as a nameless planet of the week or destroying a planet in a video game. It wasn't a grim sequence a la ENT's "Twilight". It seemed the writers wanted to do something big and decided to destroy Vulcan but they didn't do enough to do the idea the justice it deserved. Heck, DS9 manged to generate more reaction from me with just hearing that Betazed was occupied by the Dominion on DS9. As I was trying to figure out why it donned on me that there was so much else going on around it got lost in the mix--it was just one of a thousand plot points. I think they crammed too much material into these two hours. By trying to do so many things none of them really receive the kind of development they deserved.

Yes, they tried to capture the loss with Spock in his scenes with Uhura and with Sarek but they didn't succeed for me. Not enough had been done to give those scenes the kind of richness demanded of them. And for a long time fan such as myself feeling this way I can only imagine the lack of resonance by the uninitiated who are just introduced to this race and its world. Same with Amanda's death, you really have to earn those emotional payoffs and just destroying a planet or killing off Spock's mother, which was a little iffy in its execution, doesn't automatically guarantee those expected responses especially since Amanda had sum total of about a minute of screentime and comes off no better than a redshirt. We had no reason to invest in it.

I also thought Nero was more of a plot device than a flesh and blood adversary. I would have liked more interesting/intriguing definition to his motivations. And while I didn't mind the time travel aspect to the story but could it have been any more basic. It preserves TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT and allows from here on out for Abrams to play around and bring in races that in the original timeline couldn't appear and do shocking things like destroy Vulcan which I was surprised by but I would have liked a more interesting scenario than simply Romulus being destroyed by a super nova. It felt like a big chunk of relevant information was missing in order to be able to understand why Nero was doing what he was doing. It was wafer thin. And it turns out there was something missing. What is up with shows or films providing supplemental and critical information regarding the storyline in extraneous sources like webisodes, podcasts, comic books, interviews. If it is important don't relegate it to someplace other than the actual film. Apparently that is what happened here. It was too bad we didn't get to see more of the late 24th century than the very brief glimpses via Spock's mind meld. It looks like there is some peace between the two worlds so to some extend Spock's efforts worked just how far we'll probaby never know.

Obviously, the writers didn't want to drag too much backstory from the Trek canon into the film but would it have been that confusing with a bit of exposition imparted to Kirk to catch up the new comers. I don't think so.

As far as Nimoy's Spock's inclusion it might have been handled better. When I heard he was going to be in the film and that we would see the origins of the TOS crew it seemed an interesting way to merge these is to have Spock on his deathbed remembering these individuals and reflecting on his life maybe via a mindmeld with someone. I think that might have been more interesting and certainly more poignant. Given that this in all liklihood will be the last time we ever see Old Spock I would have liked a more satisfying use of him other than as a plot device and a more satisfying sense of closure akin to Sarek's sendoff in "Unification". Here they left it open. I can understand why he wouldn't have attempted to open another hole given he had no idea where it would end up and I understand why the writers didn't bring up the slingshot from Star Trek IV. But if this is ever the last time we see Old Spock it's disappointing that he didn't receive a better curtain call. And I found it a tad too convenient Kirk runs into Old Spock and then Scotty the way they did but I like Scotty's little alien buddy.

The nods to ENT I could have taken it or left. I guess the writers didn't feel the need to honor Balance of Terror since everyone knew Romulans and Vulcans related and looked identical. I liked the idea of the Narada being a mining vessel--ties into Remus being a mining world. Nice tip of the hat to Pike being wheelchair bound. I didn't really like the updated transporter effect. At first I thought the teaser took place in the 24th century because the uniform reminded me of those worn in the "All Good Things" future. And what good is looking like a Romulan do if Spock is wearing a Starfleet uniform when he beamed over to the Narada. I guess Abrams decided to go back to Romulans looking like Vulcans without the forehead ridges. That's fine.

The Spock/Uhura romance I don't know what to make of it. It didn't get in the way but I'm not that into the idea but then we didn't get a lot of insight into and I thought the Orion looked awful.

I guess my one complaint is it lacked substance and despite all these issues I had fun and enjoyed myself but it wasn't all it might have been. It was too simple and bare bones without a lot of meat. As an action film it works as a Trek film it has its issues so I'm torn. I'd probably give it 2.5 stars out of 4.

I personally think Trek works better as a tv series. Most of the time after seeing a Trek film I leave not completely satisfied. The last one that really worked was Star Trek 6. This film is okay. It's not the best Trek film ever. It has issues that prevented me from being completely engrossed in the film as it unfolded. It's entertaining on a superficial level but it has its issues.

Saw it last night with my buds. In 25 words or less: The movie was frigging awesome! I discussed it all night and today, so I'm worn out but they friggin' knocked it out of the park! Awesome, awesome movie! :D

Oh yeah, I also like the "mind slugs" ala Wrath of Khan. That was a nice, subtle nod.

And...was anyone else suprised to see Winona Ryder as Spock's mother?! I thought that was an odd cameo really. Didn't make alot of sense to me, but...okay. Whatever. (lol)

Also, Kirk running into Old Spock on the ice planet did seem a little forced like Kirk and Picard meeting in Generations in retrospect, but I still enjoyed it.

I would imagine there will a new TV show. I mean with the kind of rave reviews and money coming in, how could there not be? I don't think the show is going to be about Kirk though. I had heard there was an idea about Starfleet Academy a few years ago. I could see them doing something like that, with Medea being in charge. Maybe Pike will be a teacher there. Perhaps some of the cast, Spock or Scotty or whoever, will stop by from time to time.

I saw the movie a second time and loved it just as much. I also agree that it was very clever how they preserved the classic Trek history, as proven by the existence of Nimoy's Spock, yet still get to do a reboot where they can do anything.

So will V'Ger still how up? Khan? That giant cigar looking for the whales? Is old Spock going to warn the Klingons that their homeworld is going to get blown up, too?

I think Sarek was played by the same actor who played Norrington in Pirates of the Carribean

No. Jack Davenport played Norrington, he then went on to be in that TV series 'Swingtown' about the 70's.

Ben Cross played Sarek. He was in Chariots of Fire many many years ago, and then he played Barnabas Collins in the remake of Dark Shadows back in the 90's. i would have to imdb him to see what else he's done.

He also played Captain Nemo in a 1990's version of 20,000 Leagues. He played the mad bomber in the Pierce Brosnan movie Live Wire and a pilot who helped Lauren Holly land the plane in the first turbulence movie.

I forgot to tell you guys something; my mom's a HUGE Trek fan. She watched the original show when she was in high school, so it's her fault I am the way I am. (lol) She raised me to be a fan as well. So of course I took her (along with my wife-she's quite the fan herself) with me when I went to see the new film.

Spock was my mom's hero, even though she loved Kirk as well, so whenever "Old Spock" makes his appearance for the first time and delivers his classic "I-have-been-and-always-shall-be-your-friend" line, she cried like a baby!! Cried!! (lol) My wife loves to aggravate my mother more than breathing, and she just will not let her live it down. (lol)

It was just fun to take her and gage the movie by her since she's one of the original fans and see her reactions to it. Back when they announced this movie, she resisted the idea that they would have somene new portray her beloved Star Trek characters; she was completely against it. But then I slowly warmed her up to the idea with the occaisional magazine cover or teaser trailer every now and then, and by the time the movie rolled around she was all for it. Turns out she absolutely loved it. And that was a fun process to see and be a part of.

And I have to say, the first five minutes of this film grabbed me by the throat and just wrenched my heart out, to see Kirk's father step up and be this big hero that saved hundred's of lives, including Kirk's, to paraphrase Captain Pike from the movie. It was a nice treat and a new dimension to Kirk's past that I enjoyed. I also really enjoyed Captain Pike's character; I don't go far back enough to know much about him in the original series. I just have a passing knowledge or awareness of him...I just know he was in the un-televised first pilot and perhaps the first couple of episodes (if that), but that's about it. I really liked his character in the film...

They reused footage of the original pilot in the episode "The Menagerie"... which has been remastered with new digital effects. You can watch it on CBS.com for free:

http://www.cbs.com/hd/video.php?cid=&p...=0&show=all