Star Trek Opens In Theatres & IMAX Today

JayC

I just watched it last night. I have to say that it is really a great movie. Those that had watched the original series (1966-1969) would like it even more by trying to figure out who is who and after wards the common dialogue. I really think that Kirk and Spock did a great job. However, "Bones" McCoy (Karl Urban) was outstanding in the movie. I would absolutely recommend this film (Blockbuster).

I even went out and bought all of the 3.75 inch figs yesterday. I liked it that much. Apart from the T-Crotch, the new Star Trek figures are not that bad IMO. Especially, when they are on sale through Saturday for 2 for $10.00 at TRU.

DSCN1242.jpg

DSCN1245.jpg

I saw it this morning, it's a good movie although I still think the original ship is better looking and better designed.

Hmm if you mean original as it appeared in Star Trek 1-3 I agree with you, if you mean the 60's tv show one then I think this one looks better.

What an amazing movie. As a fan of the classic Trek show and movies, I really enjoyed the movie. I wondered if I would have any problem getting past other people playing these characters that I've been big fans of my whole life, but I didn't. I think the whole cast did a great job of caputuring the flavor of the original cast without resorting to characture. Doing that with Shatner was probably the hardest since he's such an over the top actor, but Chris Pine did a great job. There was a lot of humor but it wasn't jokey. I can't wait for the sequel!

I liked how Chris Pine did just a "hint" of Shatner-esque Kirk at the very end of the movie when he was finally officially made Captain. it wasn't overbearing, just a slight pause here and there in his speech, the way he walked across the bridge or sat in the chair with his legs crossed. Very subtle. ;)

I loved when Captain Pike restored order in the barfight with his whistle. :D

The part of the movie I giggled/cringed at was when Kirk and Scotty beam aboard the Enterprise into the "water circulation" section. I was like, what the hell are all these pipes criss crossing everywhere? You would think the Enterprise would be a tad more efficiently designed as to not have a room looking exactly like that anywhere on it. :rolleyes:

man, now i want to go see it again. And watch all the originals again too.

It was pretty near perfect.

There was a ton of references to previous ST stuff that I loved. The Kobiyashi Maru (sp) sequence was perfect! One of my favorite scenes of the whole movie. And did anyone catch Scotty's reference to "Admiral Archer" and transporting his dog?! The last thing I was expecting was any sort of reference to the Enterprise show but I really appreciated that.

Also, there's still a lot of action figures to be made--black Shirt Kirk, Scotty's little friend, Admiral Pike, Uhura's roomate!

A great story about the original characters!

It was pretty near perfect.

There was a ton of references to previous ST stuff that I loved. The Kobiyashi Maru (sp) sequence was perfect! One of my favorite scenes of the whole movie. And did anyone catch Scotty's reference to "Admiral Archer" and transporting his dog?! The last thing I was expecting was any sort of reference to the Enterprise show but I really appreciated that.

Also, there's still a lot of action figures to be made--black Shirt Kirk, Scotty's little friend, Admiral Pike, Uhura's roomate!

A great story about the original characters!

Holy crap, I didn't even make that connection! Good catch!

Saw it this morning & I'm already anxiously awaiting the next! The only thing I'd suggest to improve the movie would be to include more of the material from the Countdown prequel comic miniseries, and that's really only so Nero would be seen as a more fleshed-out character.

Oh, and I'm not 100% on-board with the Kobayashi Maru scene. I think Kirk was way too cavalier during it & was practically begging to be called to task on it. It was still fun as hell to watch though, so it's a minor nitpick I guess. Even the occasional coincidental moment (like Kirk running into Old Spock -and yes I'm calling him OLD Spock, Nimoy's so past Spock's prime that he can hardly speak- on the ice planet and THEN both running into Scotty) didn't derail the movie for me, as FATE and DESTINY were focal points of the story.

As for Vulcan, well... I'm not really one way or the other about it. I like that the filmmakers are bold enough to make such sweeping changes in this Trek's universe, but I also hope it doesn't necessarily mean that this sort of thing'll be happening all the time. It works very effectively here to point both Spocks in specific directions, I'm just saying it doesn't have to be done again anytime soon.

So where would I place this movie in my list of favorite Star Trek movies? Definitely Top Four, up there with Undiscovered Country, Khan & First Contact. Where exactly in that Top Four it belongs will have to wait until I've seen it again, probably more than once.

Saw it this morning & I'm already anxiously awaiting the next! The only thing I'd suggest to improve the movie would be to include more of the material from the Countdown prequel comic miniseries, and that's really only so Nero would be seen a more fleshed-out character.

Oh, and I'm not 100% on-board with the Kobayashi Maru scene. I think Kirk was way too cavalier during it & was practically begging to be called to task on it. It was still fun as hell to watch though, so it's a minor nitpick I guess. Even the occasional coincidental moment (like Kirk running into Old Spock -and yes I'm calling him OLD Spock, Nimoy's so past Spock's prime that he can hardly speak- on the ice planet and THEN both running into Scotty) didn't derail the movie for me, as FATE and DESTINY were focal points of the story.

As for Vulcan, well... I'm not really one way or the other about it. I like that the filmmakers are bold enough to make such sweeping changes in this Trek's universe, but I also hope it doesn't necessarily mean that this sort of thing'll be happening all the time. It works very effectively here to point both Spocks in specific directions, I'm just saying it doesn't have to be done again anytime soon.

So where would I place this movie in my list of favorite Star Trek movies? Definitely Top Four, up there with Undiscovered Country, Khan & First Contact. Where exactly in that Top Four it belongs will have to wait until I've seen it again, probably more than once.

Too me this is something diferent and I wouldn't put it with the list of the older movies

This is something new and different

Look at it as this generations Star Trek:TMP where at that time in 1979 we never had another movie to compare it too that was part of Trek

First off, I'll say I'm an old guy. been a fan of Star Trek since I was old enough to watch the show ( back in the 70's) .

that said, this movie was all the hype, action, humor & intensity that I would expect from a JJ Abrams movie..

BUT, this isnt Star Trek.

this was what Paramount wanted.. a TOTAL relaunch of a classic franchise that they didnt want to disappear. problem is, it takes completly unraveling 45 years of history to do it.

while I'm glad this movie will energize a new crop of fans, it frustrates me ( and from other posts on other forums) hundreds of other Trekkies.

but..as I said, I'm old.. I wont LIVE much LONGER, so this should PROSPER. :)

UGH...Never call me a trekkie

I hate the term trekkie

Its something the media gave trek fans years ago

I prefer Trekker it doesn't make me sound like a geek

dude, seriously look in the mirror.. and ask yourself..

how can you NOT call yourself a GEEK?

we're on a forum for toy collectors.. we're all geeks. that said, its not a insult, its a REALITY. #US1#

I saw it this morning, it's a good movie although I still think the original ship is better looking and better designed.

Hmm if you mean original as it appeared in Star Trek 1-3 I agree with you, if you mean the 60's tv show one then I think this one looks better.

I also mean the CGI Remastered 1701 which is just as nice as the refit version. I like the new ship just fine but my only major gripe is the "warp core" they use which isn't really a warp core it's a handful of large core cylinders. What is it with Star Trek movies and lack of shield effects, they had their shields up yet the Narada's weapons didn't seem to impact the shields at all instead they went through them.

Thats possibly because they weren't paying attention in that scene

I also noticed that the movies like using photon torpedoes more than phasers. I just watch Tobias Richter's fedcon movie and the Enterprise kept using torps against the enemy fighters instead of zapping their asses with phasers.

Just watched it for a second time today. this time on IMAX and love it even more than the first time I saw it. If you have access to an IMAX theatre I strongly suggest you try and catch it there if you haven't already. The sounds and visuals are incredible.

I loved the scene where the Enterprise comes up through the ring of Saturn. Like I said before the close ups of the ships and such are some of the things I loved about ST 1 and 2 and have not seen that kind of detail in these ships since and they are done beautifully here. there are some other really powerfull visuals like in the begining on the Kelven where the guy gets blown out of the haul of the ship and the music just goes silent as the guy bounces off the outer haul because there is no sound in space.

I also picked up on more suttle little nods to Trek lore. Like the Tribble in the cage next to Scotty at the Starbase or that the reason Scotty had been sent to the starbase on the iceball planet as punishment for using an Admiral Archers beagle in a transporter experiment. Nice reference to Enterprise there.

For slip ups the one I originally noticed was that the crew of the Kelvin had Delta symbols on their uniforms which at that time each ship had its own unique symbols, the Delta beloging to the Enterprise and this was the point were time had changed so anything up to this point should have been part of the "Prime" unverse.

Other slip up was that Spock during the movie called Uhura Lt. She took over for the Lt. at that station but unless she got a field promotion off screen I don't think she was Lt. at this time.

I started my love of Star Trek as a kid watching TOS in syndication on Sunday mornings and saw TMP in theatres and every movie since and have watched ever incarnation of Star Trek on TV and I honestly don't think fans can walk away from this movie feeling like decades of history have just been flushed away or that we have been slapped in the face. I think you have to give the writers and Abrams credit for coming up with a pretty cleaver way to start fresh which I think was just inevitable and that they seemed to have taken great stirdes to protect the legacy that is Star Trek and personally feel the franchise is better hands then it was with Bermen and company. I don't think you could have asked for a better job of casting, these guys do an awsome job potraying such iconic well known characters. Gene I think would have been proud of this movie.