Mattel Puts The Call Out For A JLU Bail-Out

JayC

Nah bro, I think your wrong on both counts. 1st you said that I was wrong for wanting Mattel to flood the market in a post I made a while back. Then to answer that I said that JLU is poorly sculpted block of plastic & has little apeal to many collectors (not all, but enough collectors never bought in to the line to put Mattel in this very situation).

Now your saying that this thing has nothing to do with JLU being junk & DCUC being hot & well received right! Well I just don't agree with any of that. If JLU had been made a hell of a lot better it would have been able to draw a REAL FAN bace, instead all is ever realy had were a hand ful of loyal die hards that were only buying them because they started the line way back when no other DC stuff was out. & now they only continue to buy out of a sence of wanting to complete it. Every now & then JLU would pick up a new fan here & there because DCUC was having such distrobution problem that the collector just wanted something new to buy each week.

Next is you point about wave 4. Well the truth behind the wave4 peg warmers is Mattel draged its ass on shipping them (oh yeah & let's not forget the KB exclusives that IMMEADIATLY turned people off from this wave), I bet if Mattel only know how hard it was to get good figs from KB & that their rep was total sh!t in the customer care dept, they would have never got in to bed with them!! But then again there so strapped for cash ya never know.

Any way the point is F@@KIN EVERYONE HAD WAVE FOUR BY THE TIME IT WAS IN ABUNDANCE!! Once Mattel shows up to the party WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY to flippin late.

So don't blame the fans or even retail for Mattel's logistic shipping issues! Other toy companies are able to get their product out in a desent time frame & with out the need for huge price hikes or sorry "hat in hand" pleas for bail outs.

once again....you misunderstand. i never questioned if the JLU figs were junk. obiviously if you feel that way, thats a matter of opinion, but i NEVER anything about the figs being junk. i say this to you....if its sooo bad, why do you keep putting yourself through this crap?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sick of hearing about collectors complaining about convention exclusives and even more sick of hearing about Hal Jordan.

You probably shouldn't be in a thread like this then. The Hal Jordan screw over is probably the biggest offense going. I'll gripe about it forever.

Oh and get over the Gleek thing.

No. This is another stupid insulting decision on Mattel's part that has cost them a lot of good will and is only part of the reason why in a situation like this where Mattel is saying, "C'mon, Fans, help us out!" the fans are more than ready to reply, "Tough! Screw you!"

Oh and get over the Gleek thing.

No. I have to turn to Ebay to buy a figure I want when it could have easily been offered on their website. It's annoying.

I'm not heartbroken or wishing death on their firstborn sons, I'm just annoyed. But hey, the fact that my annoyance can upset some guy I've never met makes me feel better. Thanks, buddy!

And don't even get me started on the DC Universe Classics figures. It was almost impossible to find wave 3 figures. It took months to get wave 4 figures. I never saw any of the walmart exclusive wave 5. Walmart, Target, and Toys R Us never got any figures that I could find from wave 6. Toys R Us and Walmart finally have figures from wave 7 while Target still has figures from waves 3 and 4 and Mattel is already advertising wave 8! Yet somehow, all of the online stores manage to have all of the above, and they charge an huge ridiculous markup for them. Why would I want to pay $30.00 for a figure I can get for $12?

Um, have you tried Entertainment Earth or Bigbadtoystore? You can buy most of the figures for 13-14 dollars. I've gotten all the figures since wave 4 online, and I didn't pay $30 for any of them.

As far as I can tell no one in my area wants any JLU stuff anymore. The ones peg/shelf warming are not just Superman/Batman/Wonderwoman. I've seen plenty of the new ones along with the old ones.

I do not understand Mattel's logic at all. Ummm so what about the DCIH figures? My Target is tuck on wave 3 on those.

Plus most of the new DCUC figures seem to be found at Walmart.

Oh my gosh,

this is as crazy as the time all the peanut butter companies asked us to buy up all the contaminated peanut butter so that they could get the safe peanut butter we all wanted back on shelves!

J/k

Now that the line is still going they're taking figures who never made it on the show to keep it fresh. Plastic Man? He's coming. Capt. Marvel? He's coming. The Super Friends? Them too. I think those are fan requests. What's that? That would be rethinking their ways.

Well, Captain Marvel was actually in the JLU series. He was voiced by Jerry O'Connell. The other Shazam ppl being released werent in the cartoon, however.

Now that the line is still going they're taking figures who never made it on the show to keep it fresh. Plastic Man? He's coming. Capt. Marvel? He's coming. The Super Friends? Them too. I think those are fan requests. What's that? That would be rethinking their ways.

Well, Captain Marvel was actually in the JLU series. He was voiced by Jerry O'Connell. The other Shazam ppl being released werent in the cartoon, however.

Good call, but you helped prove my point also.

The JLU three packs in my area are on sale for 7.99. It's sort of worked.

I read Mattel's actual post from the Facebook page and I will have to say that whoever wrote the article here on TNI really mislead some people. All Mattel says is to spread the word. Nothing more then advertise by word of mouth.

My only question to Mattel is if their factory is closed where are they getting all the 2008 stuff to ship from. Wouldn't we have the same problem regardless with the overstock of 2008 stuff. Basically if the 2008 stuff is already made finding a factory for the 2009 stuff is a mute point.

I read Mattel's actual post from the Facebook page and I will have to say that whoever wrote the article here on TNI really mislead some people. All Mattel says is to spread the word. Nothing more then advertise by word of mouth.

I read it to and I think TNI had it dead on. If you believe all they meant to say was to spread the word about a sale then I got some swamp land to sell you real cheap.

I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for Mattel since the He-man fiasco back in '02-'03. They continue to do everything the old fashion way and now it's biting them in the ass. So they can't find a reliable Chinese factory. :rolleyes: Gee, maybe I could pretend to be sad if there wasn't such a job shortage here in America. The JLU line has been such a pain to collect that I basically got some key characters and quit.

And as far as the new MOTU line, I guess I need to be independently wealthy so I could stay home all day buying them the second Matty Collector puts them out, or paying over price on ebay. Screw that.

I was at Target yesturday and I saw them on sale for 7.99 which was the same 3 3 pack. GL,ICE and Fire that has been on there pecks send Dec. of last year. Face it nobody is going to buy these. Like I said before I don't care for this line myself so why would I want to help Mattel out on something I don't like.

First let me say this. I'm willing to lay my head on a chopping block and gamble that who the hell ever wrote AND AUTHORIZED this press release is now standing in the unemployment line!! I can practiculy see the Mattel's CEO's face turning beat red as the online responces continue to pour in non stop blasting them for their sorry cry for help.

Next is once again we see Mattel trying (in vain no less) to pull a "jedi mind trick" by back peddeling and do there damnest to spin this as some kind of "red letter day fire sale"......NOT!!!! The whole thing smacks of total and utter desperation. But I'm not shocked that Mattel thought it could pull the wool ove so many eyes. I mean after all they have been feeding all you guys the same lame excuses over the years and you've done your best to swallow it all lock stock and barrel!

Mattel is terrified that one day the collector will wake up from their own personal version of "The Matrix" and learn just how much the collector counts in the big picture. If children were their main stream of money for so many of these toys then why the hell go thru all this trouble makeing an eleventh hour plea to the "so-called-fly on the elephant's ass collector market"????? why not just trust in your so called rock steady children's market to bail you out????

I'll say this one more time (even tho no one will listen), I AM NOT TRYING TO DWARF THE CHILDREN MARKET! But I believe whole heartedly that the collector is FAR MORE IMPORTANT TO MATTEL THAN WHAT THEY ARE WILLING TO ADMIT!

I dont care if they reduce the 3 pack down too $2.99, I still don't want them!

I was at Target yesturday and I saw them on sale for 7.99 which was the same 3 3 pack. GL,ICE and Fire that has been on there pecks send Dec. of last year. Face it nobody is going to buy these. Like I said before I don't care for this line myself so why would I want to help Mattel out on something I don't like.

Send them up here to Canada and I will buy them. Even though they are clogging up the pegs in the USA they wouldn't last a week in Canada. Keep in mind, the US market is the only market that these are at retail. For the rest of the world these would be new and as such would be purchased quite quickly. Why an international toy company would limit a toy line like this to 1 market only is beyond me.

I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for Mattel since the He-man fiasco back in '02-'03. They continue to do everything the old fashion way and now it's biting them in the ass. So they can't find a reliable Chinese factory. :rolleyes: Gee, maybe I could pretend to be sad if there wasn't such a job shortage here in America. The JLU line has been such a pain to collect that I basically got some key characters and quit.

And as far as the new MOTU line, I guess I need to be independently wealthy so I could stay home all day buying them the second Matty Collector puts them out, or paying over price on ebay. Screw that.

I hate to say this, but if the factory was located here in the States one can only imagine the prices on the figures.

Send them up here to Canada and I will buy them. Even though they are clogging up the pegs in the USA they wouldn't last a week in Canada. Keep in mind, the US market is the only market that these are at retail. For the rest of the world these would be new and as such would be purchased quite quickly. Why an international toy company would limit a toy line like this to 1 market only is beyond me.

They'll just say it's up to retailers to decide what to put on shelf.

Yep, they need to ship them up here to Canada, like others have said. Haven't seen anything from the JLU line in the stores around here for a loooong time!

Good call, but you helped prove my point also.

The JLU three packs in my area are on sale for 7.99. It's sort of worked.

that was my point

To be fair, Mary Marvel was in the JLU comic, albeit in her modern white costume.

Just typed Gleek into eBay search, and sure enough, there's a pre-order auction going on for the a Twins & Gleek...$119.99 + $10 for shipping and handling.

Boy, was I over-reacting. Seems it will be very easy to get at a reasonable price.

Just typed Gleek into eBay search, and sure enough, there's a pre-order auction going on for the a Twins & Gleek...$119.99 + $10 for shipping and handling.

Boy, was I over-reacting. Seems it will be very easy to get at a reasonable price.

I would'nt pay a dime over $40 for the twins. & ironicly enough I don't even want Gleek because he's in a baggie. There for he does not qualify to be in my beloved MOC collection.

That's right! after all that b*tchin I never even wanted him any way BC he's loose.

I'm not the biggest supporter of scalping but I see why people do it. If collector's are stupid enough to pay those ridiculous prices (and I've done it a few times myself) then there's no reason to stop doing it. This Gleek example may be far fetched but it's only a taste of what's to come as SDCC approaches.