Top DCUC Dissappointments

MrBear

Hasn't Mattel flat out said that Sinestro came out too small because of a factory error?

do you believe that? do you really think that the mold came out that small? how hard would it be for a mass production company to remake a mold? see, what everyone has forgotten is that mattel was defending the decision to make sinestro that size. they also said that all of the ref pics had him that small. it wasnt until the mass complaints started rolling that got mattel to say that. i just showed you a pic that CLEARLY has sinestro short. so a any rate.....he is accurate. (just not the taller more popular version)

dc_greenlantern_sinestro-01.jpg

3756_400x600.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only got 4 so here goes:

1. Not enough female figures. I count Wonder Woman, Hawkgirl, Artemis, Power Girl, Harley, Barda, Giganta and Black Canary. 9 in only just about 10 waves give or take in the main line excluding the rereleased 2 packs (Batgirl) and exclusive (Starfire). They can do a lot better here rather than just the bare minimum. I know beggars can't be choosers either but also Mattel's market research will always say the male A-listers (Batman, Superman) are more popular than their female counterparts.

2. Too many New Gods. They killed off the whole lineup of classic New Gods in the comics recently. Well a lot of things are wrong now in the DC comics line, but thats another story..

3. Killer Moth - Fugly colors was enough to turn me off enough from buying him in Wave 6.

4. Redundant releases - Dr. Impossible, Captain Cold, Blue Suit Aquaman - The Doc and Cap we're both recently done by DC Direct and I thought it was far too soon to put them in DCUC when there are figures that are more deserving. Also, Blue Suit Aquaman was a real head scratcher for me. Talk about obscure and not entire popular either.

Only got 4 so here goes:

1. Not enough female figures. I count Wonder Woman, Hawkgirl, Artemis, Power Girl, Harley, and Black Canary. 7 in only just about 10 waves give or take. They can do a lot better here rather than just the bare minimum. I know beggars can't be choosers either but also Mattel's market research will always say the male A-listers (Batman, Superman) are more popular than their female counterparts (Batgirl, Supergirl).

2. Too many New Gods. They killed off the whole lineup of classic New Gods in the comics recently. Well a lot of things are wrong now in the DC comics line, but thats another story..

3. Killer Moth - Fugly colors was enough to turn me off enough from buying him in Wave 6.

4. Redundant releases - Dr. Impossible, Captain Cold, Blue Suit Aquaman - The Doc and Cap we're both recently done by DC Direct and I thought it was far too soon to put them in DCUC when there are figures that are more deserving. Also, Blue Suit Aquaman was a real head scratcher for me. Talk about obscure and not entire popular either.

1. DCUC - Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, Artemis, Big Barda, Hawkgirl, Giganta C&C, Black Canary, Power Girl, Katma Tui, Jayna, Batgirl, and Starfire (also potentially The Question depending on if they go with modern or classic version); DCSH - Supergirl, Cassandra Cain Batgirl, and Catwoman

2. (not as versed w/ New Gods so some may not technically be New Gods) DCUC - Orion, Mr. Miracle, Dr Impossible, Kalibak C&C, Big Barda, Parademon, Mantis, Forager, and Lightray; DCSH - Darkseid

3. Fugly colors or not, that's what he looks like in the comics. Kalibak is a good C&C, Dr Impossible is kinda cool looking (I got him over Mr Miracle), I got the black costume Supes (tho really, I couldn't care less about either mullet Supes), Hawkman and Captain Marvel are very nice.

4. DC Direct != DCUC; I personally like the blue Aquaman more than the original costume (and I'm an AM hater).

To each his own, I guess. ^_^

People STILL think Sinestro is "shrimpy" because he stands less than a half inch shorther than GL! Arrrgh! Actually, it might be less than a fourth of an inch...I measured it once...

My main gripe would be that most male body sculpts are the same. Especially those who are in just straight up spandex costumes.

1. My Targets stuck with mostly Wave 2

2. DID NOT see Walmart exclusive wave AT ALL at local Walmart.

3. Only seen Wave 3 at 1 Target last November.

4. My local Walmart doesnt seem to carry DCU Classics line.

5. Local TRU does not seem to have their exclusive 2 packs, on my most recent visit there. I need Batgirl.

1. My Targets stuck with mostly Wave 2

2. DID NOT see Walmart exclusive wave AT ALL at local Walmart.

3. Only seen Wave 3 at 1 Target last November.

4. My local Walmart doesnt seem to carry DCU Classics line.

5. Local TRU does not seem to have their exclusive 2 packs, on my most recent visit there. I need Batgirl.

I wish my Targets had Wave 2, I have ZERO figures in this wave!!!

Not trying to get people started but some people on this thread is just whininng like a baby,

1. Character selection is not really a complaint, I mean who can fault a producer from spreading out the waves, you guys know MM and GG are coming so why are you crying, I wanted Black Adam before Captain Marvel, I personlly feel he should of been in wave 1 or 2 but its ok, nothing to cry about.

Gleek is another story, If you want to do something special for the SDCC crowd, give them special packaging, maybe something that folds out and makes a display, but to hold back on particular figures is a VERY poor idea and alienates fans and die hard collectors. Gleek is the most unimportant yet a very important aspect of DC.

As far as scale, I am more upset with how tall Grundy is than anything, he is not a giant, large yes but he is too tall. Grundy, Despero, and Lobo are too tall. Atom Smasher and Giganta grow, that's their thing, so why do people think Grundy should be the same size as the giants?

Also for those complaining about Darkseid and Doomsday, Mattel said they would revist them, so its really just a wait and see, nothing to cry about, now if Darkseid and Doomsday come out too tall or too large, they are not all thay super huge, then "Houston we have a problem"

No matter how lucky I was at securing the Wamart wave, I do not like it and think its a TERRIBLE idea for Mattel, exculsives SUCK

Overall, I am happy with Mattel but do not want any more issues regarding, "size, exculsives, and quality"

this kills that doomsday was huge all the time crap......sure, hes bigger than supes, but its not like hes super huge like he is now.

untitled.jpg

lets get kid flash out of the way, seeing everyone has forgotten that he has been a kid before he grew up to a bigger teen...

kid20flash.jpg

barda hasnt always been big....

764683-bigbarda01_super.jpg

and for the grundy haters......

SolomonGrundy04.jpg

look at how small sinestro looks. look at his legs and all...

untitled-3.jpg

You posted a picture of Bart Allen Kid Flash. Different character. Point still stands though.

Sinestro is a thin/small guy. That's just part of his design. He was always supposed to look a bit elf-like. He is the brain, not the muscle. The production flaw Mattel was talking about was his neck. It was too short on early production runs and his head was crammed down against the collar.

Are there pics of early run Sinestros and later run?? I would like to see which version I got!!! And yes, that's a very good pic showing how small he actually is, possibly the correct size!! However Captain Cold, no dice!!

I'm not sure why Mattel said one thing and then another about the reasoning for Sinestro's size. I think that contributes to the disappointment.

It also doesn't help that the versions we saw in the recent cartoons (JLU, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and the upcoming Green Lantern DVD) have him the same size as all the other males. I like him better that way and with a normal-sized head.

That's why Sinestro is a big disappointment for me with DCUC (and not because he's not accurate. He's accurate to some form of Sinestro in the comics).

As for Grundy, he does seem big, but he's such an awesome figure that it doesn't bother me at all. I'm fine with Grundy being huge. It adds to his character.

I'm not sure why Mattel said one thing and then another about the reasoning for Sinestro's size. I think that contributes to the disappointment.

It also doesn't help that the versions we saw in the recent cartoons (JLU, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and the upcoming Green Lantern DVD) have him the same size as all the other males. I like him better that way and with a normal-sized head.

That's why Sinestro is a big disappointment for me with DCUC (and not because he's not accurate. He's accurate to some form of Sinestro in the comics).

As for Grundy, he does seem big, but he's such an awesome figure that it doesn't bother me at all. I'm fine with Grundy being huge. It adds to his character.

sho you right! the fact that people were disappointed made the goofy a$$ mattel staff renege! the crazy thing is....people act as if the modern way, or their favorite inturp of a character is the only way that he should look.

• 4 weeks later...
What are you top disappointments in the line right now other then distrabution or quality.

Here are mine:

1. Skeets not being removable from Booster Gold

2. Gorilla Grodd: Really looking forward to him, but I am not a fan of how he turned out. I would have prefered a more aggresive look minus the wire things.

3. Kalibak: would have prefered a Super Powers version since it seems like the rest of Apokolips is getting that treatment.

4. Big Barda: Scale hasn't really bothered me for the most part. Not everyone in the world is the same height. Barda is a different case. She is one character that needed some height. It is half of what she is known for.

5. Walmart Wave: I really don't mind the fact that they had an exclusive wave. Its the fact that it was a small portion of the stores that got them.

Ok, first, in relation to your post:

Only some Boosters had that problem. I agree with the Grodd face, but the headgear can be cut off. I like the monstrous Kalibak but he's just a little too big. And I am COMPLETELY with you on the distribution of Wave 5.

Then, here's my overall list:

1. scale problems

2. 2-pack choices

3. collector site excl.

4. stands

5. since you brought it up w/Wave 5, quality and distribution

Here's my list of scale problems:

First off, I wish that they had done all the Supes, Bats, Amazo, Orion sized characters with the DCSH Superman/Batman size torso. You can even throw all the other DCUC Bats/Supes parts onto and they fit perfectly (I've done it twice and it looks incredible). That way they could do characters like Nightwing and Mr. Miracle on the new DCUC Supes/Bats torso and the'd actually be in scale. Also, some of the characters they did are obviously wrong, like Sinestro and BB.

Second, the list of figures I think need to be changed height/sculptwise:

CS Batman (bigger chest)

Metamorpho (1/4" taller minimum)

Orion (bigger chest)

Grodd (needs standard DCUC articulation for his size, snarling head)

Grundy (needs to be 2" shorter)

Robin (needs to either be BTAS height, or recent Tim height)

Sinestro (great sculpt, just needs to be 1" taller than Hal, also needs to have a taller head in that)

WW/Artemis (needs to have more muscular/thicker limbs, torso is not organic looking enough)

BB (shoulda been done on the Robin or Sinestro sculpt instead)

Despero (would have preferred the classic version)

Amazo (needs bigger torso or bigger sculpt, maybe Ares sized?)

Eradicator (needs same bigger torso as Supes/Bats, clear goggles)

Metallo (shoulda been the Smaller humanoid version)

Riddler (I like the suited version, but rather have a new sculpt, or at least, question marks on the whole jacket or none at all)

Captain Marvel (red too light, rather the classic costume, too short)

Hawkman (wings need a third piece, would rather have one weapon and a rem. helmet)

Kailibak (slightly larger than I would like, but still great)

Superman (same as Bats, plus the long hair on regular one shoulda been chopped off, better S)

Atom Smasher (his minimum height is 7'6", so he should be slightly smaller for that, or WAY bigger)

Big Barda (great sculpt, needs to be 7" tall minimum)

Booster (Skeets should be way bigger, and Mr. Mind should be bigger and better)

Captain Cold (listed as over 6', should be 1" taller)

The Flash (red color too light, otherwise perfect)

Dr. Fate (wrong color pattern on modern, rem. helmet a must)

GG (needs a different way of connecting the hat)

Giganta (she's just like AS, needs to be shorter for her minimum or like 15")

Mr. Terrific (that damn hole in his jacket)

Black Canary (needs skin-toned legs)

Chemo (just would prefer either more art. or a diff. C&C)

Starfire (needed to be a taller sculpt, like WW as well. Also needs to lose the uniboob)

Next, here's the character/costume choices I wish they'd done diff.:

The 2-packs should have been some mix as follows:

Az/Babs (white Az and black/yellow Babs, w/red Az and blue Babs as possible variants, NO PAINT WASH)

CS/Mongul (SC versions regular, originals as poss. variant. No paint wash)

GL (regulars are great, but I would have preferred Hal as Parallax. Also, I wouldn't mind iridescent green on all GLs, or maybe the newer versions)

Adam Strange (wanted classic costume, BIGTIME)

Batman (should have done either a straight up black/grey costume version or a blue/grey w/or w/out yellow oval. NO POOP!)

Superman (should have done the series 6 body w/a new head sculpt, or the series 6 head w/hair resculpted short)

Then, the singles:

CS Batman (rather Jim Aparo/Neal Adams colors)

Artemis (wanted her green costume or something else better than WW's for her)

Despero (see previous)

Amazo (would have preferred the more modern version w/green chest circles)

Aquaman (would have preferred the purple instead of dark blue, or instead of some black)

Big Barda (more comic-accurate colors re: the yellow and gold)

and also, the metallic paint thing (I can't remember all of them, but some wrongly have matte instead of metallic/iridescent and vice versa. Really wish comic-accuracy was more of a priority with that aspect)

I won't even start with the Gleek debacle, but I would have like it if they did Justice Lords or something a little more flashy instead of the Ultraman/Luthor ones they decided to do (I know, DC Comics classic issues fans lynch me now) and also, make the 2-packs a little cheaper to offset the fact that there's no C&C (not to mention you have to spend $9 on shipping for ONE). Especially when one of the 2 figures is as crappy as Starfire...

In fact, dispense with the 2-packs altogether and do singles, as well as previously released RARE figures in new DCUC packaging (def. incl. DCSH), and you'd have me. As it is, I've never ordered a Mattycollector item, and doubt I ever will.

Next, the battle stands; They're cool, but NO WAY they need to include one w/Flash, but no C&C piece. I can see them with WGSH (prefer that in fact) and I can see them w/other figures like Flash and Kid Flash that need them for posing, but for the love of GOD Mattel, please don't put them with a figure in lieu of a C&C or acc.

Lastly, distribution (cause we all know what's up w/QC); I have had REALLY good luck around me finding everything except Wave 5. This is due to both my location (Southern Ct.) and my tenacity (I drive to 18 stores in one day each week). With wave 5, all they had to do was send cases to each WM, as well as putting them on WM.com and site-to-store (in fact, that should have been standard w/all DCUC, and then less cases to stores would not be so bad).

Even with the scarcity of Wave 5 I have had decent luck, getting Metallo, Eradicator, Riddler and Amazo due to a couple really good local friends and Black Lightning and Atom due to the generosity of a couple really cool Fwoosh members. The most I paid for any of those was $20 each for BL, Atom and a second Amazo to fix some problems with the first one).

Overall though, I love DCUC and will continue to purchase and support the line, as well as customize to fix whatever I consider mistakes.

To the people claiming Sinestro, Grundy etc. are not the wrong size; Yes, I know that Grundy is made of Swamp Muck and can be different sizes, but I prefer a Grundy that's around 7 or 8 feet max. Adn that pic of him w/GA actually shows that the DCUC one is WAY to SMALL. So it kinda nullifies your point anyway.

Don't say that Sinestro is the right size though, please. He's listed by the people at DC Comics who check these things as 6'7", and Hal is 6'2". None of the pics you're showing really show them in a way that you can measure them against each other. Perspective is key, you should know that. Sinestro IS 6'7", and that means part of that is in the body, maybe another 3", and another 2" in the head.

And Barda was created by Kirby to be way taller than Scott Free and most 4th World males. For chrissakes, it's in her FREAKIN' NAME!

Edit: I forgot Lobo. But everyone knows he's perfect, except his height.

To the people claiming Sinestro, Grundy etc. are not the wrong size; Yes, I know that Grundy is made of Swamp Muck and can be different sizes, but I prefer a Grundy that's around 7 or 8 feet max. Adn that pic of him w/GA actually shows that the DCUC one is WAY to SMALL. So it kinda nullifies your point anyway.

Don't say that Sinestro is the right size though, please. He's listed by the people at DC Comics who check these things as 6'7", and Hal is 6'2". None of the pics you're showing really show them in a way that you can measure them against each other. Perspective is key, you should know that. Sinestro IS 6'7", and that means part of that is in the body, maybe another 3", and another 2" in the head.

And Barda was created by Kirby to be way taller than Scott Free and most 4th World males. For chrissakes, it's in her FREAKIN' NAME!

Edit: I forgot Lobo. But everyone knows he's perfect, except his height.

3756_400x600.jpg

There's no refuting the above pictures that have Sinestro clearly smaller than GL. Even if Sinestro is now listed as 6'7", he hasn't always been that tall.

And if he is that tall, he'd have to be standing way behind Hal in that Emerald Dawn picture at the top of the page, which wouldn't make sense because the Guardian on Hal's right would have to be standing closer based on how tall he is. That's some odd perspective for a drawing when it would only make sense to have Hal standing slightly in front of the two, who are standing parallel to one another behind him.

I can see where your coming from on certain characters Like Sinestro and Robin and Grundy but I don't agree with you. The figures we have have been drawn that size at one point or another. Nothing is nullified with that picture being shown(Grundy), your missing the point,the point was to show the other extreme he has been drawn to prove he is somewhere in between. Also the large bucks chest being to small? That's rediculous to me,but you like what you like no one can tell you what to like . Also when Kirby first created Barda she was about the same height as Scott Free. Big Barda doesn't mean giant she was just big,she was a well built taller than average woman. Through the years she has come to what we all know her as being taller than Scott. Now Sinestr not only in the picture above,perspective or not, prove he has been drawn shorter it also shows his head has been drawn the way the 4H sculpted it. Now would I have liked a taller Sinestro ,yes I would have but the one we got is accurate to a degree and I can handle it.Robin I would have liked him to be as tall as the Sinestro buck but they can't all be winners,still a great sculpt and a great figure. I applaud you for voicing your opinion especially knowing it wouldn't be a popular one. Batman Beyond,well my rationalization is that he was based on his only comic appearance to wich he was pretty much a grown man.

3756_400x600.jpg

I don't know why people trot this pic out as proof positive that Sinestro is supposed to be of equal height or shorter than Hal Jordan. In this pic, Sinestro is further away than Hal! Of course, he's drawn smaller here.

That aside, I don't think anyone until Mattel botched things with this figure would've thought of Sinestro as anything other than taller than Hal. His big Korugarian cranium alone should have him tower over Jordan. Plus, it just looks better that Hal isn't beating up some puny short guy with a David Niven mustache.

Having said this, while the Big Dawg definitely would've preferred a taller Sinestro, the figure isn't necessarily ruined for him. It's still a nice figure and certainly not the abysmal disappointment that is Starfire. Now THAT figure needs to be taller!

3756_400x600.jpg

I don't know why people trot this pic out as proof positive that Sinestro is supposed to be of equal height or shorter than Hal Jordan. In this pic, Sinestro is further away than Hal! Of course, he's drawn smaller here.

That aside, I don't think anyone until Mattel botched things with this figure would've thought of Sinestro as anything other than taller than Hal. His big Korugarian cranium alone should have him tower over Jordan. Plus, it just looks better that Hal isn't beating up some puny short guy with a David Niven mustache.

Having said this, while the Big Dawg definitely would've preferred a taller Sinestro, the figure isn't necessarily ruined for him. It's still a nice figure and certainly not the abysmal disappointment that is Starfire. Now THAT figure needs to be taller!

I've yet to see someone show a pic that shows Sinestro as clearly taller than Hal.

I've yet to see someone show a pic that shows Sinestro as clearly taller than Hal.

No one has posted a pic that clearly shows Sinestro to be shorter or the same height as Hal either. A pic where Sinestro is crouching in a slight downshot from the back and one where he's floating a few feet behind Hal are hardly conclusive evidence.

Sinestro's supposed to be taller. Mattel botched it. The figure's not perfect, but not horrible either. Accept it.