Top DCUC Dissappointments

MrBear

What did your "connections" say about the rest of the waves?

Here are the waves as I broke them down on the Power Girl thread:

Wave 10:

Power Girl

Man-Bat : This is the long-promised brown version.

Joker

BeastBoy

Robotman : This was a guess on my part based on another poster's clue that Wave 10 would include a Teen Titan (I had this confirmed as Beast Boy) and "a friend of that Teen Titan." I mentioned Robotman to my guy who informed me that Doom Patrol characters as far as he knew were "unofficially off the table." By that he means that while these characters are allowable, Mattel would rather do other characters.

Forager

Static (Ugh! It hurts to type this!)

The C&C figure for this wave is unknown: To be honest, I just forgot to ask!

Wave 11:

The Question

John Stewart

Katma Tui

The Shark in his Silver-Age look!

Steppenwolf

Deadman

Cyborg-Superman: According to my guy, this is a straight re-paint of the DCSH figure in his Sinestro Corp colors. Supposedly ...and I know it hasn't panned out this way so far... but every wave of 2009 would include a repaint of a DCSH figure.

C&C Figure: Kilowog: This Wave supposedly kicks off "The Year of the Green Lantern." Just as this past year was "The Year of the New Gods" with each wave including one New God figure, each wave for the next year is to include a "team builder" for the Green Lanterns. My contact is hopeful that the next year will be "The Year of the Legion of Super-Heroes" but he said "We'll see." I'm praying to God for this to happen!

While I couldn't get all of Wave 10 confirmed, all of Wave 11 was given a nod. I also didn't get anything on Wave 10 being a Wal-Mart exclusive wave. The subject of Wal-Mart exclusives did come up though and my contact just gave me the impression that he didn't like Wal-Mart waves, they recognize that the last one was a disaster, they're obligated to doing more, and they hope to God that the next one goes better than the last but as far as he could tell he hadn't heard of any steps taken to insure that it would go any better.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did your "connections" say about the rest of the waves?

Here are the waves as I broke them down on the Power Girl thread:

Wave 10:

Power Girl

Man-Bat : This is the long-promised brown version.

Joker

BeastBoy

Robotman : This was a guess on my part based on another poster's clue that Wave 10 would include a Teen Titan (I had this confirmed as Beast Boy) and "a friend of that Teen Titan." I mentioned Robotman to my guy who informed me that Doom Patrol characters as far as he knew were "unofficially off the table." By that he means that while these characters are allowable, Mattel would rather do other characters.

Forager

Static (Ugh! It hurts to type this!)

The C&C figure for this wave is unknown: To be honest, I just forgot to ask!

Wave 11:

The Question

John Stewart

Katma Tui

Steppenwolf

Deadman

Cyborg-Superman: According to my guy, this is a straight re-paint of the DCSH figure in his Sinestro Corp colors. Supposedly ...and I know it hasn't panned out this way so far... but every wave of 2009 would include a repaint of a DCSH figure.

C&C Figure: Kilowog: This Wave supposedly kicks off "The Year of the Green Lantern." Just as this past year was "The Year of the New Gods" with each wave including one New God figure, each wave for the next year is to include a "team builder" for the Green Lanterns. My contact is hopeful that the next year will be "The Year of the Legion of Super-Heroes" but he said "We'll see." I'm praying to God for this to happen!

While I couldn't get all of Wave 10 confirmed, all of Wave 11 was given a nod. I also didn't get anything on Wave 10 being a Wal-Mart exclusive wave. The subject of Wal-Mart exclusives did come up though and my contact just gave me the impression that he didn't like Wal-Mart waves, they recognize that the last one was a disaster, they're obligated to doing more, and they hope to God that the next one goes better than the last but as far as he could tell he hadn't heard of any steps taken to insure that it would go any better.

Hey I love Static now than I did more so when he was under the anti life equation lol:

Static3.jpg

Static4.jpg

Isn't there a seventh figure in Wave 11? The original poster mentioned "a villain for the husband and wife to fight", and I'm guessing they don't mean Cyborg Superman since they also said "a Superman/GL villain". If you don't know, that's cool, and I appreciate the info you gave.

Come on, Mattel, I can understand Hal being first, but making Abin Sur, John Stewart, Katma Tui, and Kilowog before Guy Gardner, the greatest Green Lantern of all time? What gives? :P But really, if next year is "year of the Green Lantern", I'm thrilled. I'll take all the GLs I can get my hands on.

I am kind of disappointed about the Doom Patrol not getting made. At the very least, I'd love an Elasti-girl BAF.

And on the subject of those pictures, wouldn't a DCUC Ravager be awesome?

Isn't there a seventh figure in Wave 11?

You're right! I forgot to mention the Shark in his Silver-Age look!

I'll take all the GLs I can get my hands on.

Me too!

I am kind of disappointed about the Doom Patrol not getting made.

Well... I'm sticking to my guess that this "Teen Titan friend" is Robotman. I know policies like "No Doom Patrol" get reversed all the time.

...wouldn't a DCUC Ravager be awesome?

Yeesh! There are A LOT of other characters I'd like to see before Ravager.

I like the topic. Might I add the top 5 Pros to go with the Cons?

My top 5 Disappointments:

5. Wal Mart wave. Mattel, just stay away from exclusives altogether. You have great products, we just can't find them.

4. Grundy & Lobo - Just a tiny bit too big, but not too horrible. Great likeness, though!

3. Barda & Sinestro - Both should be redone. Barda should be bigger, and Sinestro looks horrible next to Hal.

2. BAF - I know, people love them, but I hate the idea I have to buy Static to complete a character I want, especially since Mattel had those 12 inch JLU figures on the shelves. I would have loved to have been able to buy Giganta in one shot.

1. Gleek - This irks me the most. Just put him online with the Twins.

My top 5 Approvals:

5. Character selection. The Wonder Twins. Gentleman Ghost. Killer Moth.

4. Quality has improved tremendously over the last few waves.

3. Scale has been pretty consistant, with the exception of a select few (see above).

2. Almost all the villians have been done for (finally) a complete Legion of Doom. Bring on Cheetah & Toyman!

1. Blue Camo Aquaman. Who would have ever thought it?

whoa whats this about a static figure where did u get that from? I would love one of those

Over in the Power Girl thread, someone claiming to be "connected" hinted at the line-ups for waves 10 and 11. His hints for one figure in Wave 10 pointed to Static. Naturally I wasn't just taking this guy's word for it so I had it confirmed through connections of my own.

I'm pretty disappointed. I have no love whatsoever for Static and see it as a waste of a slot.

What did your "connections" say about the rest of the waves? The other guy was kind of cryptic about it.

I enjoy how you prefaced with the Distribution and Quality caveats specifically, and yet everyone who posted still whined about Gleek and the Wal-Mart wave.

What does Gleek have to do with distribution and quality? And the original poster mentioned the walmart wave too. :P

3. Sinestro/Captain Cold. What's with making the villains shrimpy?

4. Dr. Impossible. Only because in the comics he hasn't done ANYTHING. Ever. Aside from a kitschy cool name he hasn't done anything to deserve figures made. He's lucky he is an easy Miracle redeco.

Well, Sinestro is generally depicted as skinnier than Hal Jordan and his comics, and he's the same height as Hal in the recent comics. So he's a teensy bit too small, but not as out of scale as Doomsday or Mongul(or Lobo, for that matter).

I can see what you mean about Dr. Impossible, but I think of it as a way to get an obscure character as a variant, just like Artemis or the blonde Black Widow or Baron Wolfgang von Strucker in Marvel Legends. I like getting obscure characters, so I liked it..and at least you didn't have to buy him to complete Kalibak. I do think it's kind of annoying that we got Dr. Impossible figures from DC Direct AND Mattel, but neither company has made a Ventriloquist w/ Scarface...

I guess I consider the Walmart wave more of a Walmart issue then a Mattel issue.

I like the topic. Might I add the top 5 Pros to go with the Cons?

My top 5 Disappointments:

5. Wal Mart wave. Mattel, just stay away from exclusives altogether. You have great products, we just can't find them.

4. Grundy & Lobo - Just a tiny bit too big, but not too horrible. Great likeness, though!

3. Barda & Sinestro - Both should be redone. Barda should be bigger, and Sinestro looks horrible next to Hal.

2. BAF - I know, people love them, but I hate the idea I have to buy Static to complete a character I want, especially since Mattel had those 12 inch JLU figures on the shelves. I would have loved to have been able to buy Giganta in one shot.

1. Gleek - This irks me the most. Just put him online with the Twins.

My top 5 Approvals:

5. Character selection. The Wonder Twins. Gentleman Ghost. Killer Moth.

4. Quality has improved tremendously over the last few waves.

3. Scale has been pretty consistant, with the exception of a select few (see above).

2. Almost all the villians have been done for (finally) a complete Legion of Doom. Bring on Cheetah & Toyman!

1. Blue Camo Aquaman. Who would have ever thought it?

I will have to agree with your comments on Grundy and Lobo. Great figures, but really bad scale especially since Giganta and Atom Smasher are able to grow to pretty much any size.

As far as the good goes:

1. I love the fact that Super Powers is getting revisited.

2. Re-releases of certain DCSH molds. (although hard for me to find at times)

3. I love what the "insider" said about this year being a New Gods year, next year being a Green Lantern year, and the next year being LOSH year. It gives me hope for things to come both character and longevity of the line.

4. Figures are not over articulated. In my oppinion over-articulation leads to poor joint quality in the long term.

5. Character selection has been great in my oppinion. Even Wave 1 had some shockers for me. Never thought I would get a Demon , Orion, and Red Tornado so early on.

1. Scale issues (Big Barada and Kid Flash being too small for example)

2. Gleek :(

3. Quality control - stiff joints/easily broken joints

4. Wave 5 - I wanted that Metallo so much I actually paid eBay prices... (oh noes!)

5. I can't actually think of a fifth because I really like the majority of the figures!

Isn't there a seventh figure in Wave 11?

You're right! I forgot to mention the Shark in his Silver-Age look!

I'll take all the GLs I can get my hands on.

Me too!

I am kind of disappointed about the Doom Patrol not getting made.

Well... I'm sticking to my guess that this "Teen Titan friend" is Robotman. I know policies like "No Doom Patrol" get reversed all the time.

...wouldn't a DCUC Ravager be awesome?

Yeesh! There are A LOT of other characters I'd like to see before Ravager.

There are a lot of other characters I'd like to see before Commander Steel, but we can't win 'em all. ;)

And for the folks who don't want Static - just keep the BAF part and sell the figure itself on Ebay. I don't really see what the big deal is...we've already gotten Batman Beyond and the Wonder Twins...heck, even Harley Quinn started life as a cartoon!

There have been some disapointments for me!!

5 Kalibak - would have been nice to get a Super Powers version instead of or as well!!!

4 Sinestro - tiny needs to be re-released ASAP, but in a larger scale!! What's with the villains bein tinier??

3 Clayface - I wanted sculpted arms, not the bendy kind, would have gotten another Batman just to get Clayface, but alas, no 2 pack for me!!

2 Plastic Capes - I know people seem to hate soft goods, but I think having cloth capes would have made this liner perfect!!! Would make the figures stand easier, and allow them to sit down if needed to, such as the need to sit in a Batmobile!!! I don't know, I miss the old cloth capes of the Super Powers line!!

1 Distribution - Easitly the most annoying thing of this line, not being able to collect what I want, when I want!!!

this kills that doomsday was huge all the time crap......sure, hes bigger than supes, but its not like hes super huge like he is now.

untitled.jpg

lets get kid flash out of the way, seeing everyone has forgotten that he has been a kid before he grew up to a bigger teen...

kid20flash.jpg

barda hasnt always been big....

764683-bigbarda01_super.jpg

and for the grundy haters......

SolomonGrundy04.jpg

look at how small sinestro looks. look at his legs and all...

untitled-3.jpg

robin has been small as well...

1218805692_f7665dacce.jpg

im not saying that these figs dont need updated/bigger/older in age versions, but to act as if mattel just goofed up completly is a little unfair.

Hasn't Mattel flat out said that Sinestro came out too small because of a factory error? I love the figure anyways, both versions are great, but he's definitely a teeny bit too short.

And I still want a Doomsday BAF, even by that pic the one we've got is too small.

Hasn't Mattel flat out said that Sinestro came out too small because of a factory error?

do you believe that? do you really think that the mold came out that small? how hard would it be for a mass production company to remake a mold? see, what everyone has forgotten is that mattel was defending the decision to make sinestro that size. they also said that all of the ref pics had him that small. it wasnt until the mass complaints started rolling that got mattel to say that. i just showed you a pic that CLEARLY has sinestro short. so a any rate.....he is accurate. (just not the taller more popular version)

i just showed you a pic that CLEARLY has sinestro short.

no, you showed us a pic that has him bent down and gives the perception that he might possibly be small, so not clearly at all. Grundy can be argued because his size changes all the time since he gets a "new" body every time he comes back, but Sinestro is supposed to be around 6'7, i'd have been fine if he was the same size as Hal but for him to be about 5 feet tall is just dumb

i just showed you a pic that CLEARLY has sinestro short.

no, you showed us a pic that has him bent down and gives the perception that he might possibly be small, so not clearly at all. Grundy can be argued because his size changes all the time since he gets a "new" body every time he comes back, but Sinestro is supposed to be around 6'7, i'd have been fine if he was the same size as Hal but for him to be about 5 feet tall is just dumb

if you know that parallax is the size of hal....then sinestro clearly is shorter. theres no way to get around that fact.(look at the pic) now if you cant see that hes smaller....ah well. im not trying to argue, i already told you guys my point.

sure, but again i say you showed one pic which can be concieved as being smaller, sure he looks smaller in that pic but 1 as opposed to thousands doesn't really paint a clear picture is all i'm saying. don't get me wrong i like the figure, but he's WAY too small. he's at least a foot shorter then he should be if not more

My disappointments:

1. Starfire: It's already been said, she should have gotten a molded chest.

2. Black and Grey Batman: Why hasn't Mattel re-issued that black and grey Batman that was very hard to find at the end of DCSH?

3. Quality control: Almost every figure I buy has it's hips stuck because of paint. I have to freeze the figure, then proceed to move the joint.

4. Why the hell are we getting Static?

I view the Static selection as an educated guess, nothing more. Mattle has not come out and said that we are for sure, with out a doubt getting Static in wave 10.

Do I want Static? Sure, but not until later. There are others that should be made first. Guys on the inside claim they know more than what they really do. If they guys really does have a inside beat, good deal, more power to him, but I would rather wait and hear it from the horses mouth and know that it is indeed true.

Don't always beileve what you read, and there really shouldn't be any reason that ya'll are getting so upset for a Static wave 10 rumor.