DCUC vs ML

Rowdy26

I figured we could argue discuss or whatever,wich line is better here instead of clogging the wave 8 thread up.

I think both lines have negatives and positives,so discuss and defend your favorite of the two here.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know but if we can keep it civil it would make for some nice convo,know what I mean?

If you read these forums for any length of time, you know that its just a matter of a few posts before someone will make things personal against someone else.

But, to play along........

I do not have a "versus" mentality with lines like this anymore.

They both function much the same, now they they have articulation schemes that are similar enough in function.

Both lines have flaws, but I don't focus on flaws.........at the end of the day they mean nothing. I'd rather focus on enjoyment.

Frankly, I enjoy the heck out of both lines, but I'm more selective with DCUC than I was with ML.

When I place my figures back on display, I'll probably ween out most of the modern Marvel characters.

I prefer Old School Marvel ( 1960's to mid 1980's), so a number of characters will stay in storage.

With DCUC, I have the big names of the JLA, and that is all I ever really wanted--my priority has been met.

I suppose I'll flesh out collecting the DC guys with some secondary characters over time, but there's no rush.

I am all for friendly conversation about toys, unfortunately we have to deal with anonymous jerks who hide behind their keyboard and never have anything positive to say about anything from what I have seen. Especially when it comes to a subject like Marvel vs. DC, some people only want to throw insults and run off to their insecure little corner of the internet.

But I digress, Both DCUC and ML have their pros and cons. Toybiz, Hasbro, and Mattel have all had their fair share of issues, as well. As a fan of both lines, I am stuck in the middle on which is better because all three companies have made some bone-headed decisions. The biggest among those is the Walmart Exclusive waves. Did these companies say "I know what our fans really want: a line from their favorite collectable line that only a fraction of the country will ever see". Just a thought.

I like the idea of a ML vs. DCUC thread, but be warned, we are heading down a slippery slope of NA-NA-a-BOO-BOO-YOU-SUX.

I think ToyBiz ML and DCUC are pretty evenly matched with the different characters and the amount of figures, but if you factor in the Hasbro ML then DCUC wins hands down.

I disagree. Hasbro released some nice figures as well. there's Rachael Summers Marvel Girl, Thor,She-hulk, Human Torch, Silver Savage, Spiral, Black suited Spiderman to name a few.

Again all 3 companies have their pros and cons. In general each company have their hit and misses, Toybiz - Mystique, Hasbro - Emma Frost, Mattel - Sinestro.

Sadly, Hasbro seemed to be hitting there stride with the last couple of waves. The Nemesis, Red Hulk, and Ares BAF's are all very cool figures. The newest Daredevil is my favorite DD so far. The latest round of ML Icons are awesome. Mattel is also hitting there stride with wave 6 going forward. Flash and Hawkman are great figures. Toybiz, unfortunately, were seemingly running low on ideas for the last few waves (A local Kmart finally sold their last Lady Deathstrike for $4 about two weeks ago).

I enjoy and collect both. Somehow it seems fitting that the Marvel universe is the more "gritty, realistic" world and the figures of Legends are more articulated to reflect that, while the DC universe is the more "comic book fantasy" world and the brightly colored slightly less poseable figures of the DCUC reflect that. I do agree Hasbro was making some nice progress in terms of quality with the last figures they produced and it's sad they torpedoed the line just as they were finding their feet.

I'm not going to choose one line over the other because it's a matter of taste. I honestly can't say I would enjoy DCUC more if they had Legends style articulation. I do like that DC seems like they are trying to get a wider range of characters out, whereas Hasbro seems insistent on peppering at least half of each wave with redecos and repaints of headliners we already have. I recognize the need for an "anchor" in each wave to appease the retailers, but do you need four? Why don't they produce an obscure character that looks really neat and let some kid find a new fave he might not have even knew existed before. of course that's hypothetical at this point. RIP Legends.

I figured we could argue discuss or whatever,wich line is better here instead of clogging the wave 8 thread up.

I think both lines have negatives and positives,so discuss and defend your favorite of the two here.

If it gets to the name calling stage either pm the person or let one of us know

I like both Dcu and ML equally, I will have to say that DC is not afraid to make a character that noone knows and collectors or random buyers will still buy those figures. That's one of the advantages that DCU may have over Marvel Legends. Marvel dosen't like to venture too far away from their A-list characters. Even though Marvel has released lesser known characters in the past like Deathlok, Xorn, and Bucky. I could see DCU putting out an entire wave with just one A-lister and it would probably sell like hotcakes. :D

Come On, You don't want a variation of Superman and Batman every wave?

That's what DCDirect is for. ;)

Just joking.. I agree 100% that DCUC is doing a better job of offering us a wider selection without so much repetition, Ocean Warrior Aquaman excluded (Was anyone clamoring for that Figure?). That is one of the biggest issues with ML, Let's see how many Wolverine's, Hulk's, Iron Man's, & Spider-man's will us suckers buy? Apparantly all of them because they keep putting them out.

Come On, You don't want a variation of Superman and Batman every wave?

That's what DCDirect is for. ;)

Just joking.. I agree 100% that DCUC is doing a better job of offering us a wider selection without so much repetition, Ocean Warrior Aquaman excluded (Was anyone clamoring for that Figure?). That is one of the biggest issues with ML, Let's see how many Wolverine's, Hulk's, Iron Man's, & Spider-man's will us suckers buy? Apparantly all of them because they keep putting them out.

Not only that, but they aren't even the variations people WOULD get excited for. I'd be amped about getting all kinds of different Iron Man armors from the 50 bajillion comic versions they've made, but they just keep recycling the same mold over and over and MAKING armors up? Where's the HydroArmor? Or the Classic Space Armor? Or the Neo-Classic that somehow managed to get made in SuperheroShowdown, but not in Legends? Do we need another Yellow Wolverine? or an almost non-existent "shadow" outfit that was on ONE cover? And Black Spidey? C'mon. We've gotten like five of him now.

Even IF DCUC put a Batman or Superman in every wave, we'd still be getting more original figures than Hasbro is putting out (again hypothetically).

I'd rather not as each line is great & each line has its own faults... nothing more need be said & no real comparison need be done

I think ToyBiz ML and DCUC are pretty evenly matched with the different characters and the amount of figures, but if you factor in the Hasbro ML then DCUC wins hands down.

I disagree. Hasbro released some nice figures as well. there's Rachael Summers Marvel Girl, Thor,She-hulk, Human Torch, Silver Savage, Spiral, Black suited Spiderman to name a few.

Again all 3 companies have their pros and cons. In general each company have their hit and misses, Toybiz - Mystique, Hasbro - Emma Frost, Mattel - Sinestro.

ugh. NO. Hasbro ML figures blow donkey. I don't even consider them into my ML vs DCUC debate. If you count the HML stuff, DCUC might actually be better.

Rachael Marvel Girl is one of the worst ML figures ever... and EVERY DCUC figure kicks her ass.

ugh. NO. Hasbro ML figures blow donkey. I don't even consider them into my ML vs DCUC debate. If you count the HML stuff, DCUC might actually be better.

Rachael Marvel Girl is one of the worst ML figures ever... and EVERY DCUC figure kicks her ass.

"Blow donkey." Very classy.

If you were to head over to another forum all you hear is "HASBRO'S TERRIBLE" yet the people saying that are also the ones screaming that the line is dying.

Marvel Legends was great and DCUC will probably be great too. Can we talk about something else now?

"Blow donkey." Very classy.

If you were to head over to another forum all you hear is "HASBRO'S TERRIBLE" yet the people saying that are also the ones screaming that the line is dying.

Marvel Legends was great and DCUC will probably be great too. Can we talk about something else now?

what do you suggest we talk about in the DCUC vs. ML thread? the fact is....ML had some serious flops! DCU has some too, but were talkin maybe 3-4 between 8 waves. ML had like 7 or so in between like 6 waves! heres my list.

ML

1.) TOAD. the sculpt was nice, but the articulation sucked! he was also too big, imo.

2.) HULK.(series 1) wack a$$ T crotch with up and down movement only.

3.) THING(series 2/FF boxed set) his leg articulation had a T crotch with movement like an 80s figure, plus he was too big! the thing is only 6'-6'1"....thats a scale issue.

4.) MAGNETO.(wave 3) they used the exact same body that they used for wave 1 ironman...that was just dumb!

5.) WOLVERINE.(wave 3) wasnt he like the biggest fig in the wave? if not, he was still bigger, or big as the other MLs that bios state they were 6'0 or bigger. he's only 5'3-5'5...serious scale issue.

6.) GOLIATH. c'mon.....a 90's cartoon avengers repaint...... T crotch, ant-man, wasp, and all! that was very poor!

7.) ELEKTRA.(wave 4/URBL boxed set) ugly, unable to hold the sais, really wack crotch articulation...the first ML female was a doosey!

8.) SABRETOOTH.(series 5) wasnt he bigger than colossus? another scale issue.

These are the types of thread discussions that one loves to hate

first off, it is based on far more opinion than fact

2, since this is a DC comics forum, most people will automatically say DC

which is cool, but once again ... OPINION!

so here are some facts:

DCSH & DCUC would not exist in their current states if not for Marvel Legends.

The sales and love for ML's caused Mattel to step up their game, get one set of sculptors that everyone seemed to love, copied the BAF idea which worked really well, and managed to to be able to include the whole DC Universe instead of just Bats & Supes.

The one thing I will give DCUC over the current batch of HML figures is how they mastered the T-crotch. Toy Biz did it first in ML- series 4, but since Hasbro insists in making 95% of there figures with a ball joint inserted at the top of the crotch instead of the side, (which looks ##$%$#ed and makes you work harder to pose soem plastic), Mattel worked it that you get ball joint movement with a T-crotch look. I LOVE THAT!!!

As far as the best? ML is the standard. Period. And yes, they do stand up really well for me.

But I love DCUC, kind of corny to keep using the same mold over and over again, but this is the MOTU company, so what does one expect from Mattel?

Sadly, Hasbro started to follow this program with half of each line looking like a rip-off of Bullseye.

The one thing DCUC now has in its favor: AVAILABILITY!!!!

Terrible dsitributuion, but at least someone can find them. (Man I miss KB!!!)

Time will tell, but both lines are great, and yes, I am a Marvel fan first, but when they (Mattel/ DC) release figures like Deathstroke, Solomon Grundy, Hawkman, Kalibak, Parasite, Mongul, Wonder Woman, Etrigan, and Metallo (help me finish him PLEASE!!), Mattel is starting to get real impressive.