Anyone Else Not Liking The Accelerator

Nguyen_Dragon

Ha-Ha! you've not read any thread on the movie have you? lol. No worries i know everybody can't read everything, but yeah it's a highly contested point. I loath the things.

I think its a logical conjecture of current on-the-drawing-board milspec technology--which is one aspect that GIJOE is supposed to be about.

The VAMP is not exactly something "new" these days after all......

Ha-Ha! you've not read any thread on the movie have you? lol. No worries i know everybody can't read everything, but yeah it's a highly contested point. I loath the things.

Sorry... I just saw an extended commercial on TV during the NBA game that mentioned it...

There's really no need to have as many Joes and as many "special" traits out of each, if all they have to do is train to operate in an super human (Iron Man-ish) accelerator suit? There's really no more "Grunts" in the team. Unless Duke is suppose to be the "grunt" they picked up off the street hitch hiking and added to the team on a whim? "HERE..put this on!!" YOOOO JOE!!!

^_^

Sorry... I just saw an extended commercial on TV during the NBA game that mentioned it...

man you hit it on the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is no joe it is now Exo-Squad from the 80s

The main reason I am hating this is because it robs the main characters of their REAL ability to be super-badass. Here we have a live action G.I.Joe movie, and the main Joes are diminished to half worthy actors in SUPER-SUITS. #WTF#

I've said before that I plan to like this movie, but it obviously does not holds any true reference to the real G.I. Joe that we know and love.

I like them.. it's not like they're gonna be in the suits in the whole freakin' movie.. They'll be in them for certain scenes and that's it.. If they're taking on Cobra gunships, tanks, and a whole freakin' army.. um.. yeah, I'd rather them be in the suits to they live... How crappy would the movie be if they all try to be the star of the movie and run out in the first 5 mins of the movie and get their heads blown off by a HISS tank?

The main reason I am hating this is because it robs the main characters of their REAL ability to be super-badass. Here we have a live action G.I.Joe movie, and the main Joes are diminished to half worthy actors in SUPER-SUITS. wtf.gif

When have these characters ever been "super-bad-ass"???

I cannot recall any time in the comic, or cartoons where its been established that anyone outside of Sgt. Slaughter or Snake-Eyes was any sort of bad-ass. The only thing "bad-ass" someone like Duke has ever done is hit someone with his fist.......what else have we ever seen?

ALL the other Joes rely on technology ( a gun or vehicle) to do just about anything "bad-ass"--so what is different ( or wrong) about relying on a super suit??

The main reason I am hating this is because it robs the main characters of their REAL ability to be super-badass. Here we have a live action G.I.Joe movie, and the main Joes are diminished to half worthy actors in SUPER-SUITS. wtf.gif

When have these characters ever been "super-bad-ass"???

I cannot recall any time in the comic, or cartoons where its been established that anyone outside of Sgt. Slaughter or Snake-Eyes was any sort of bad-ass. The only thing "bad-ass" someone like Duke has ever done is hit someone with his fist.......what else have we ever seen?

ALL the other Joes rely on technology ( a gun or vehicle) to do just about anything "bad-ass"--so what is different ( or wrong) about relying on a super suit??

Well back in the day all you needed to do was bust some chops for all to see. Now that we have seen a hundred plus movies with awesome martial-arts fighting action, we would rather see the main characters kick some a$$ without some gimmick for crying out loud. @grumpy@ Ya, Hasbro owns the rights so gimmicks are their bread and butter, but as a movie by it's self, I want some good old fashion fighting. No "Super-suit", just good old fashion hand to hand combat. #US1#

I always thought you 80's kids hated STAR BRIGADE? @hmmm@

To go into this live action, re-imagined, G.I.Joe movie and witness all the liberties and changes made to the ARAH mythos we've all loved so well, and see them in these Iron Man meets Robo Cop outfits, instead of in their individual attire and riding in their indivdual "speciality" vehicles, would be (for me) like going into Toys R Us to check on the newest Joes (back in 1993) and finding THESE on the pegs...

starbrigade.jpg

@hmmm@ uhhh..YUK!

I don't own any one of those things to this day! That's when Hasbro made the mistake of thinking the characters were more important than the toy itself, and anything with the name Duke, Destro, Snake Eyes or Cobra Commander would sell like hot cakes, regardless of gimmick or color scheme? So....the line ended like what, the very next YEAR? ^_^

This movie is the same principle. As a fan, it's going to take more than just familiar NAMES on odd looking people (like the toys) to make me BUY G.I.Joe, or in this case BUY that it even is G.I.Joe! #US1#

Well back in the day all you needed to do was bust some chops for all to see. Now that we have seen a hundred plus movies with awesome martial-arts fighting action, we would rather see the main characters kick some a$$ without some gimmick for crying out loud.

Permit me a silly diversion here for a minute.

Years ago........back in the before-time, there was a show called CHIPS.

You might remember it--t'was about some California Motorcycle Highways Patrol cops.

Once of the hallmarks of this show was that the cops seldom, if ever drew their guns. They didn't need to......they was bad-ass.

They'd just put their hands on a bad- guys shoulder and the perp would submit........cuz they was bad-ass.

They one show, in one of the last seasons, they had a "special" episode.......with some "guest stars".

One of them being Danny Bonaduce.

Yea.......him.

And in this episode, Danny played a wayward Martial Arts guy, and there was some other "cool" martial arts guy trying to mentor him....and there were some gang members that were trouble as well.

As they all knew martial arts.

And guess what?

All of a sudden, ALL the CHIPS guys knew martial arts too!

And they were martial art-ing it up the whole episode. Like they were all of a sudden experts at this stuff.

And you know what?

It was about the dumbest #$@# I've ever seen in my life.

Martial arts have become the new cliche' --everybody knows chop-sockey and can run around like Jackie Chan. Or Bruce Lee.

On the other hand, basic combat fighting skills involve some quick blocks, a few throws and a couple of submission moves.

Yawn......what else is there?

The axiom is that if the fighting gets down to hand-to-hand, then the fight has gone VERY badly.....or both sides are horrible shots.

Can you imagine.......a whole squad of Joes doing battle-chops, blocks and throws, all over the place?

The audience will wonder out loud; " why not just pull that other gun on your costume and shoot the bugger??"

That or someone will pose the question that all these twits are dusting it up by hand and some nut with a grenade can come along and wax the whole lot.

GIJOE is all about the gimmick--that is why EACH character had their own gimmick.

They only used their knuckles when their gimmick ran out of bullets, or laser power or gerbils.......or whatever it was they used.

the suits are aobut the only thing that i dont like about the movie so far

true true... the accelerator suits are really the worst thing I have seen about the movie so far.. but it is a BIG problem.

I was watching the game with my dad today when the commercial came on. He is 55 and remembers all my toys from when I was a kid.

He says "what is this? Bionic-Joe?"

I say, "no, they have new suits for this movie."

He says, "this movie looks too much like transformers now. and those suits are really cheesy"

(the cheesy point was made immediately after the Joes are seen flipping down the street, dodging missles, like monkeys.) ridiculous

I bet the Baroness will save the movie... The only character that seems to have been done right...

No, my friend from what i've read on the old internet........she's just as screwed up as the rest of them. (Origin wise that is) She's the only one with an all black outfit originally.......that's why she looks "normal."

I don't think anything can save this movie at this point. I know there's a lot of nay-sayers and doom and gloomers on the boards about it, and a lot of others who are saying to give it a chance and not to judge before we've seen it....... and while everyone can form their own opinion I think us nay-sayers have a lot to back up our fears.

I think the accelerator suits are the coup de grâce that puts the movie over the top beyond the point of redemption for many of us. Why pay homage to Sigma Six (if that's even the case) that was a part of the GI Joe mythos for about 3 years and completely ignore the military realism that was the hallmark of GI Joe in the 1960's before the Adventure Team and was again the driving force behind the first few years of A Real American Hero in the 1980's?

Nothing about the accelerator suits makes sense to me. In the X-Men movies they went for the all black leather costumes because they didn't think they could make the comic costumes look good on the screen. That argument clearly doesn't fit here - what's hard about BDUs and fatigues that already exist in the real world? The accelerator suits are far more complicated than anything the characters have ever worn in the comics, cartoons, or any of their toy iterations except for Star Brigade.

From a marketing perspective, having characters in identical costumes is always more difficult than when each character has a unique look. That's why in the new Star Trek Chris Pine's Kirk is in all black for most of the movie - so he stands apart from Pike, Chekov, Sulu, and the rest of the bridge crew that might be wearing yellow.

The accelerator suits may be based on ideas the US military has on eventually creating some sort of exo-strength and speed enhancing armor for soldiers, but it's hardly the foremost "next step" in military technology. And for GI Joe the suits essentially rob the characters of any of their unique specialties and talents. It takes GI Joe from an "elite, highly trained, special mission force" to "anybody can wear one of these suits and be a super soldier".

Of course the biggest thing that bugs me about all of the changes that were made for the movie is what I suspect is the biggest reason behind them all - the all important international box office numbers. Most major blockbusters today are counting on a significant portion of international sales for their profits. The producers are afraid that the audiences in France, Russia, Japan, India, and wherever wouldn't pay to see US military characters, but they loved Batman and Iron Man so let's throw something that looks kinda like those at them.

The entire movie seems like they put the cart before the horse. They had all their ideas and all their visions, and just tried to slap some familiar character names on to what they had made after the fact.

I'll go see it when it comes out, but I have the absolute lowest expectations for it.

I'll go see it when it comes out also. I will cobble together and take the ten minutes of footage that I deem "cool" and remember that and ignore the rest, much like I did with Ghost Rider or Ang Lee's Hulk. Although with this, I'm probably being optimistic that there is ten minutes worth regarding as cool.