Something just occurred to me while watching Generations...

Devilbat

So I was watching Star Trek: Generations earlier, and it dawned on me at the beginning of the movie we see the crew in their original tv series uniforms. I had never completely paid attention before I guess, but I always assumed they automatically had new uniforms in the movie, but apparently they didn't, at least not at first. So I decided I would pay close attention and try to notice just when they made the change over to the new uniforms. First it was Riker; he returns to the Enterprise after his skirmish with Sauron on the space station, and all of a sudden he has the new uniform on when no one else does. I mean, of course he had time to change after returning, but it was like Starfleet said, "Okay, while you're away on duty, we've beamed you these new standard issue uniforms. Put them on when you get a chance." (lol)

I noticed the second one was Picard; sometime between his session with Troi and his time in the cartography room with Data (which by the way is when Data decides to wear HIS new uniform) he has his on suddenly. And of course LaForge puts his on after he returns to the Enterprise, back from his little "interrogation" scene with Sauron. I noticed the only main character to not put one on was Worf; was he the only one that stayed on-duty the whole time and didn't have time to change? Was he protesting the new uniforms and refused to wear them? (lol) I know, I have no life. I just thought it was peculiar how they slowly one by one changed over to their new uniforms, only to wear even newer ones in First Contact. (I really need to get out more...) (lol)

I have the Star Trek DS9 Companion....a big book that tells behind the scenes info on EVERY DS9 episode (it's a great book and I believe there's one for TNG too). But in it they said that Generations had to borrow uniforms from DS9 because Paramount didn't have enough new-style uniforms to give to every cast member. The new uniform that Riker is wearing is actually Avary Brooks'. If you watch it again, notice how Riker's sleeves are rolled up? It's because the uniform didn't fit him too well.

What I didn't catch right away about Generations is that the bridge is different. Extra computer stations added to the left and right walls. Never noticed that until I got my widescreen dvd. They never should have blown up the Enterprise D.

The costume department had designed all new uniforms for the TNG crew, but then the producers/directors (someone) decided it would be too much change and decided not to go forward on those new uniforms. But, Playmates Toys went into production of their Generations figures before the studio decided not to change things, so that's where the odd looking Generations figures come from. That's what the new uniforms were supposed to look like.

The DS9 jumpsuits make perfect sense from a TV production/marketing standpoint in that they wanted the DS9 crew to look different from the TNG crew when they were both on the air at the same time. And the DS9 uniforms make sense for the DS9 crew as more "work" uniforms for putting a run down old Cardassian station back together.

But the DS9 jumpsuits never made sense for Voyager. When Voyager left the Alpha quadrant, everyone in Starfleet was still pretty much wearing the TNG uniforms. Sisko was wearing one when he was back on Earth in season 4's "Homefront" and "Paradise Lost". All the other Starfleet officers in those episodes were wearing the TNG uniforms. Every other Starfleet officer who came to DS9 was wearing a TNG uniform. So to automatically start the crew of Voyager in DS9 jumpsuits doesn't make any sense on a Starfleet level. And if the point of the DS9 uniforms was to make the crew look different while TNG was still on the air, it doesn't make sense to put Voyager's cast in DS9 uniforms when DS9 is still wearing them too.

DS9 didn't switch over to the grey and black "First Contact" style uniforms until midway through the 5th season, which would have been close to the end of the 2nd season on Voyager.

Of course there's the whole fact that I never really liked Voyager........

They never should have blown up the Enterprise D.

Word to that, man. @wink@ They should've just upgraded the Enterprise D like they did for the Original Enterprise when it made the jump to movies.

Of course, then we wouldn't get the cool scene of the Saucer section crashing or Data's best line (ohhh, #$@# @lol@). Never really liked the design of the Enterprise E.

Also, did anyone notice that the Enterprise goes out in the same way it did in "Yesterday's Enterprise"? The scene with Geordi in engenering is almost identical. No wonder they made all future starships with the ability to eject the warp core so that when it's damaged it can be ejected and not take the whole ship with it. #Granade#

I have the Star Trek DS9 Companion....a big book that tells behind the scenes info on EVERY DS9 episode (it's a great book and I believe there's one for TNG too). But in it they said that Generations had to borrow uniforms from DS9 because Paramount didn't have enough new-style uniforms to give to every cast member. The new uniform that Riker is wearing is actually Avary Brooks'. If you watch it again, notice how Riker's sleeves are rolled up? It's because the uniform didn't fit him too well.

Wow...I just would not have guessed it came down to such a low-budget issue. (lol) I would have assumed that Paramount would spring for all-new uniforms for everyone! (lol) Just wow...

Hey I love the design of the Enterprise E

Me too my man, although it comes across to me as a design that would have come before and not after Enterprise D; it just seems more angular like the earlier ships instead of the streamlined Enterprise D. But Picard did say the D was "ahead of her time"...

Nice catch. I never noticed that before, but the next time I get around to watching it I will look for it.

Thanks Rollo! Leave it to me, the obsessive/compulsive to watch Star Trek at three in the morning... (lol)

Wow...I just would not have guessed it came down to such a low-budget issue. (lol) I would have assumed that Paramount would spring for all-new uniforms for everyone! (lol) Just wow...

Yes indeed. It went on to say that by the time DS9 got the new "First Contact" uniforms, Voyager was hurting in the uniform department so all the OLD DS9 ones went to Voyager. I really recommend those companion books for the hard core fans. Lots of neat info in them.

On the other subject; The Enterprise D just seemed like a classier ship all around. The outter design, the bridge, the fact that there were families and civilians on board, I liked it. It could have easily held up had they used it in First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis. "E" was good, but it was more of a battle ship. Can't wait for the DST Enterprise D.

Nice catch. I never noticed that before, but the next time I get around to watching it I will look for it.

Thanks Rollo! Leave it to me, the obsessive/compulsive to watch Star Trek at three in the morning... (lol)

I know that feeling. I'll get the "urge" to watch a series, like DieHard or James Bond or something and I won't stop until it's ALL done. Same with TV Seasons. I haven't watched Trek since I moved so it's been a few years. I really want to invest in the TNG Seasons and rewatch those eventually. I hated how Paramount was gouging for $99 each ( and all in the same year!) back when they came out, but they've dropped to a respectable amount now. I do have the TOS series. My girlfriend at the time got me all three, one for Xmas, one for my birthday in January, and one for Valentine's Day.

Hey I love the design of the Enterprise E

Me too my man, although it comes across to me as a design that would have come before and not after Enterprise D; it just seems more angular like the earlier ships instead of the streamlined Enterprise D. But Picard did say the D was "ahead of her time"...

I used to read Starlog before the price jumped from about $5 per issue to $10

In this one issue I read they were talking about the preproduction of First Contact and Rick Berman was talking about at that point in time the Enterprise E

I used to read Starlog and got my info from there before I had a computer and internet

Well he said the design of the New Enterprise was being kept a secret until the movie came out

But in a picture of him at his office desk was the schemetics of the Enterprise E ....I knew that was the new Enterprise at that time

I have the diamond distribution Enterprise E that I paid $40 for and to me it was well worth that price

I know that feeling. I'll get the "urge" to watch a series, like DieHard or James Bond or something and I won't stop until it's ALL done. Same with TV Seasons. I haven't watched Trek since I moved so it's been a few years. I really want to invest in the TNG Seasons and rewatch those eventually. I hated how Paramount was gouging for $99 each ( and all in the same year!) back when they came out, but they've dropped to a respectable amount now. I do have the TOS series. My girlfriend at the time got me all three, one for Xmas, one for my birthday in January, and one for Valentine's Day.

(lol) You sound just like me man! I get hooked on one movie of a series, I have to watch them all. And I've been wanting the Next Generation seasons on DVD, but like you I always balked at the price. I've been keeping an eye out for deals on both the original series and any Next Generation sets I can find. No luck so far, although they are coming down some...

I used to read Starlog before the price jumped from about $5 per issue to $10

In this one issue I read they were talking about the preproduction of First Contact and Rick Berman was talking about at that point in time the Enterprise E

I used to read Starlog and got my info from there before I had a computer and internet

Well he said the design of the New Enterprise was being kept a secret until the movie came out

But in a picture of him at his office desk was the schemetics of the Enterprise E ....I knew that was the new Enterprise at that time

I have the diamond distribution Enterprise E that I paid $40 for and to me it was well worth that price

Actually I'm currently saving money to actually get the Diamond Select Enterprise E at a local comic store. I haven't been there in some time, but they used to have several of them. I can't wait; it will be my first Diamond Select ship. (lol) And I'm also looking forward to their Enterprise D. I think the Enterprise D design is my all-time favorite. I just love the streamlined, almost organic look it has. It's really a classic design.

Yes indeed. It went on to say that by the time DS9 got the new "First Contact" uniforms, Voyager was hurting in the uniform department so all the OLD DS9 ones went to Voyager. I really recommend those companion books for the hard core fans. Lots of neat info in them.

On the other subject; The Enterprise D just seemed like a classier ship all around. The outter design, the bridge, the fact that there were families and civilians on board, I liked it. It could have easily held up had they used it in First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis. "E" was good, but it was more of a battle ship. Can't wait for the DST Enterprise D.

Me too man. It can't come soon enough...

I just might have to hunt down those books. I just love plethoras of useless information about my favorite films. (lol) Seriously, I love that stuff.

Oh I am the oppisite, I hate the Enterprise D. The thing always looked fat and clunky to me and glad they detroyed it. I think the Enterprise E is a much cooler looking ship, Second only to the refited orignal Enterprise/ Enterprise A which remains my favorite version.

For the bridge of the D in the movie they basically wanted to make it more impressive, they said in one of the documentries that the sound stage for the bridge on the tv show was much smaller than the one for the movie so they had to add more computer stations and stuff. Also notice in Generations how darker everything was like Picards ready room and the briefing room. That was to hide the empty spaces of the larger stages.

For the uniforms, if you look at the Generations action figure line Playmates did back then you will see the Next Gen figures wore updated new uniforms that never actually appeared in the movie, I believe those were what the producers had originally planned to use but ended up switching to a combo of the TNG tv series and Voyager ones. It was Voyager the first started using those uniforms on an actual starship. Originally those uniforms were intended to be used for starbase personell only and when serveing on a starship would wear the ones seen on TNG. If you watch the first epsidoe of DS9 Sisko, Dax and Bashir all arrive wearing the traditional TNG uniforms and then switch to the more casual jumpsuits they would wear for most the series untill everyone later switched to First Contact uniforms which I think were the best looking 24th Century uniforms. My favorite uniforms though are those first worn in WOK though I heard they were very unconfortable to wear.

Oh I am the opposite, I hate the Enterprise D. The thing always looked fat and clunky to me and glad they destroyed it. I think the Enterprise E is a much cooler looking ship, Second only to the refitted origonal Enterprise/ Enterprise A which remains my favorite version.

I totally agree

I was 13 when I first seen it in Star Trek:

I seen the movie in a theater and fell in love with the way it was updated but at the time sad because the interior didn't look the same but when I got older I fell in love with the interior too

What's really funny about the original Enterprise in the movies is the bridge looks totally different in every single movie and I also alway thought it was funny how like in TMP the seats on the bridge were these really nice luxurious comfortable looking that had the head rests and arms rests adjust automatically when the ship went into warp and by Star Trek 6 the seats all looked cheap and like they were going to fall over.

The bridge I believe is different looking in all of them even from 1-2-3. Minor differences but still different. Speaking of ST3 you gotta love the pinkish seats on the bridge of the USS Grisom.

Did you know that the bridge of the Enterprise was dressed up to be the Reliants

Good way to save money but Shatner said he never had a scene with Montoban and every time he talk to him on screen it was a recording