I am shocked and pleasantly suprised!!

Devilbat

I've always been a Trek fan, as far back as I can remember. As a kid I had the Mego Kirk and Spock figures. I remember watching the original show growing up. And I relished each of the subsequent films and tv series over the years, especially The Next Generation stuff. But I never considered myself a Star Trek collector funny enough, even in recent years with all of the great collectibles that have come out and I had become an adult toy collector. I did collect the Playmates stuff several years ago, but I eventually got rid of it all unfortunately...

Well, for the past few years, I would notice in various comic stores and online retailers the cool Art Asylum/Diamond Select figures, and although I was rather impressed with them, I was more interested in Star Wars, G.I. Joe, or Transformers at the time, and so I'd always pass on them. But here recently, I have "rediscovered" Star Trek in a big way. I can't get enough. I've been trying to catch the Next Generation shows on tv when I can, and I've been watching the movies like a madman for the past couple of weeks. It's probably due mostly to my excitement over the new film, but I'm also really getting back into The Next Generation stuff; it was my favorite iteration, probably moreso than the original, as much as I loved it. This prompted me to seek out some of those old Galoob figures, and I love them. I couldn't believe how cool these were after I had passed them up for over twenty years! But anyway, that in turn reminded me of the Art Asylum/Diamond Select stuff, and so I decided I'd get a couple of them too and see if I liked them as well.

I first ordered Picard in his Season 7 uniform, along with the Season 7 Riker. I got Riker in the mail a couple of days ago, but it was the "All Good Things" Admiral Riker instead. I didn't really mind since I love that version; I absolutely love the episode/finale "All Good Things" and feel that it is nearly up to par with the films, but anyway. I really wanted the Season 7 Riker. So I e-mailed the seller and told them what happened, and they said they had made a mistake and didn't have any Season 7 Rikers left. But they also said they would refund my money and that I could just keep the Admiral Riker to make up for their mistake. (!) I was so thrilled with such great customer service. So I decided that I would just open the Admiral Riker and see how I liked these figures, since he was essentially a free figure...

Oh wow...I was so shocked and pleasantly suprised with how well these things are made! The sculpting is just phenominal. Had I known these figures were so incredible, I would have been collecting them all along. I just feel like the paint and sculpting is equal to that of some of the Gentle Giant statues and mini busts I own; it's an action figure with sculpting as good as a sculpture. It's that good. And they have just the right amount of articulation in my opinion. Also they stand very sturdily and have a great heft to them when you hold them in-hand. I just couldn't be more pleased with these. I now eagerly look forward to Picard and whatever other figures I can get my hands on. (lol)

The only thing I didn't like, and it's absolutely minor, is that the figure comes with what I see as a waste of plastic; a hollow, poorly-painted base of some sort. There's no peg to secure the figure's feet in place, and it's really too small for the figure to stand on anyway. It almost looks like the base of a transporter, but I don't know. Anyway, like I said it's a minor minor issue that I can easily overlook for such an awesome figure. I can't wait to get more of them...

I don't have a lot of them, Captain Archer, T'Pol and Bashir in TOS uniform, but I have liked them for the most part. The Enterprise figures had a soft rubber that covered the waist joint, which looks awesome but they look funny when sitting. I have no complaints with Bashir and I'm looking forward to getting the original series bridge crew thanks the the upcoming 2-packs. I also want to get the TOS Sisko, O'Brien and Dax.

As for TNG, I think I want to get the First Contact uniforms. I like those more that the TV series uniforms.

I've been collecting them since they came out with TOS. So I missed out on the Enterprise series, but have everything else they've put out. I bought them all from either StarTrek.com, DST direct, and now am a huge fan of NewForce. I found all three to be excellent providers of service in all areas, in case you are looking for a recommendation. I've also picked up a couple of singles from AmokTime, and they were great too.

The thing I like best about these is their remarkable likeness to the actors. They are all just spot-on! The accessories are a nice touch, but sometimes somewhat useless, as when they don't fit in a fig's hand or something. Not a complaint, just a remark. I did like the bases you mentioned, but they only came with the first one or two waves, then stopped. No, there's no way to secure a fig to the base, but I do still use them as risers for the back row of my collection. Again, a nice touch - wish they kept doing them.

The sad thing about the line is AA/DST did such a great job of getting this far (delays aside), and now have lost steam somewhat. I've got all the TOS, TNG, and DS9 so far, and was really looking forward to Voyager, but they've kinda put them on a back burner, at least for the time being. I expect that, given the fan support, they will eventually get to the rest of the unmade characters from TNG and DS9, and the crew of Voyager, but it's going to be awhile. At least they're still popping out TOS figs, so that's cool!

I don't have a lot of them, Captain Archer, T'Pol and Bashir in TOS uniform, but I have liked them for the most part. The Enterprise figures had a soft rubber that covered the waist joint, which looks awesome but they look funny when sitting. I have no complaints with Bashir and I'm looking forward to getting the original series bridge crew thanks the the upcoming 2-packs. I also want to get the TOS Sisko, O'Brien and Dax.

As for TNG, I think I want to get the First Contact uniforms. I like those more that the TV series uniforms.

You know hogan, now that I think of it, I had Archer too at one point. That weird rubber waist was kinda odd, although he looked great standing, but it did look exactly like Scott Bakula in the face-sculpt. And I would like to have the Benjamin Sisko that comes with his command chair, although I wasn't a huge fan of Deep Space 9 in general...

And yeah, I too love the First Contact uniforms. I was thrilled to see the Riker/Troi two-pack online yesterday. First Contact is my favorite "Next Generation" movie, and I'd love to see Diamond Select do a complete line, especially the crew in their 2060's clothes. I'd really LOVE to see them do a Zephram Cochrane figure.

I've been collecting them since they came out with TOS. So I missed out on the Enterprise series, but have everything else they've put out. I bought them all from either StarTrek.com, DST direct, and now am a huge fan of NewForce. I found all three to be excellent providers of service in all areas, in case you are looking for a recommendation. I've also picked up a couple of singles from AmokTime, and they were great too.

The thing I like best about these is their remarkable likeness to the actors. They are all just spot-on! The accessories are a nice touch, but sometimes somewhat useless, as when they don't fit in a fig's hand or something. Not a complaint, just a remark. I did like the bases you mentioned, but they only came with the first one or two waves, then stopped. No, there's no way to secure a fig to the base, but I do still use them as risers for the back row of my collection. Again, a nice touch - wish they kept doing them.

The sad thing about the line is AA/DST did such a great job of getting this far (delays aside), and now have lost steam somewhat. I've got all the TOS, TNG, and DS9 so far, and was really looking forward to Voyager, but they've kinda put them on a back burner, at least for the time being. I expect that, given the fan support, they will eventually get to the rest of the unmade characters from TNG and DS9, and the crew of Voyager, but it's going to be awhile. At least they're still popping out TOS figs, so that's cool!

Hey thanks Ares! I have been looking for a good place to find these figures, as a matter of fact. And as for the actors' likenesses, this Admiral Riker creeps me out every now and then. I've had him on this end-table beside the couch here where I'm on my computer, and every now and then I'll look over at him, and he has such a natural look on his face, as if it's really looking at me. (lol) I have to reposition him so he's not staring right at me... (lol)

I feel like I'm getting ready to play catch-up here. I understand that they're gonna re-release some of the classic Trek figures in two-packs, so that'll help me out. I have seen some single classic figures at TRU, but I have yet to get any...

And you know, I know Playmates is doing a pretty good job with figures from the new film, but I'd really love to see Diamond Select take a stab at doing them. Would they have the license to do them, or does Playmates have exclusive rights? Also, does anyone know if there are plans to do any figures from Star Trek: Generations? I truly hope so.

I stuck with stuck the TOS crew, and they are my favourite versions of all the Trek figures made over the years. The only weak sculpt is Kirk--but then The Shat has always been a hard likeness to capture.

Personally, I hope for more aliens from the TOS era.

Hey ARROW, you're in luck; I saw where there coming out with a Salt Vampire from original series. I'm personally holding out for "Space Lincoln" myself... (lol)

No, DST does not have the license to the new Trek. And the Playmates versions are different enough in scale where they don't look like they'd fit in.

I would advise checking NewForce first, as they do 'opener' specials, and even if you don't open, the one's I bought were just fine and I really couldn't tell the difference between an opener and a regular. But they shave off a few bucks for that. I've only ordered from them once so far, and I got 11 figs for $120, which averages to $11 a fig, way less than any other online retailer I've come across!

I personally think the TOS Kirk looks exactly like younger Shatner. WOK Kirk is struggling, though.

Actually as far as likenesses go, you really have to give it to the Enterprise figures. They're just dead on in every way.

Hey ARROW, you're in luck; I saw where there coming out with a Salt Vampire from original series. I'm personally holding out for "Space Lincoln" myself... (lol)

Well, I'm hoping for an Andorian, a Tellerite, a Mugato, a Excalbian, and a Horta. Some additional Romulans and Klingons would be nice too.

If fortune truly favours us all, an Edoan and a Caitian ( Lt. Arex and M'Ress from the animated series)

No, DST does not have the license to the new Trek. And the Playmates versions are different enough in scale where they don't look like they'd fit in.

I would advise checking NewForce first, as they do 'opener' specials, and even if you don't open, the one's I bought were just fine and I really couldn't tell the difference between an opener and a regular. But they shave off a few bucks for that. I've only ordered from them once so far, and I got 11 figs for $120, which averages to $11 a fig, way less than any other online retailer I've come across!

*tsk* That's a real shame...I'd love to see Diamond Select do figures from the new film. Oh well, I shouldn't be so greedy... (lol)

And I'll definitely have to check out NewForce; I don't feel the need to collect these MOC for some reason. Usually I do, but I'm perfectly happy with opening these. That'd be perfect for me if I could find some cheaper figures in less-than-mint packaging to open. (I can't believe I'm saying this.) (lol) Thanks so much for the heads up Ares!

Well, I'm hoping for an Andorian, a Tellerite, a Mugato, a Excalbian, and a Horta. Some additional Romulans and Klingons would be nice too.

If fortune truly favours us all, an Edoan and a Caitian ( Lt. Arex and M'Ress from the animated series)

I too would like to see some Kingons, Romulans, and Andorians from the original series. I know the names of the others but I can't place them, except for the Mugato of course.

And man ARROW...I had forgotten about the original animated series. I remember seeing it when I was very little. I'm getting OLD!! (lol)

Actually as far as likenesses go, you really have to give it to the Enterprise figures. They're just dead on in every way.

Yeah, like I said the Archer figure looks exactly like Scott Bakula. I may have to back-track and get him again...

Yeah, I love these figures too! They're well done. :D

In my collection I've got:

Wrath of Khan Kirk,

First Contact Data,

Q,

Season 1 Picard in his Captain's chair,

Sisko (later seasons bald with goatee and grey uniform),

Jadzia Dax (Grey later season uniform)

and Odo.

The figures are so detailed and come with neat accesories (like Odo's bucket and Sisko's baseball from his desk). I'm looking forward to the 1st season Sisko and Dukat two pack and the Kirk/Spock two pack from The Voyage Home. Maybe some of the re-release Original Series two packs as well. @bounce@

I hope in the near future we get a figures of Quark, Garak, Guinan, and the Voyager crew (I hear Seven of Nine is coming out in the Borg wave!) @cyborg@

Hey GreenWizard, I love your sig man. That's sweet...

I'd like to see the following figures made:

Scotty in his Engineering "space suit"

Spock in his black get-up where he first appeared on the Enterprise in TMP

Ilia (as V'ger probe)

McCoy (TMP)

Spock and Kirk in Space Suits (TMP/two-pack)

David Marcus (WOK)

Kirk, Sulu, Scotty, McCoy, and Chekov in their "civilian" clothes (TSFS)

Sarek (TSFS)

Everybody from Part V, including Sybok

General Chang (TUC)

Federation President (TUC)

Chancellor Gorkon (TUC)

I'm sure I'd like to see more figures from the various tv series, but it's been so long since I've watched them that I can't remember many of the characters. But I too would like to see some figures from Voyager.

Hey GreenWizard, I love your sig man. That's sweet...

I'd like to see the following figures made:

Scotty in his Engineering "space suit"

Spock in his black get-up where he first appeared on the Enterprise in TMP

Ilia (as V'ger probe)

McCoy (TMP)

Spock and Kirk in Space Suits (TMP/two-pack)

David Marcus (WOK)

Kirk, Sulu, Scotty, McCoy, and Chekov in their "civilian" clothes (TSFS)

Sarek (TSFS)

Everybody from Part V, including Sybok

How about Kirk in his "go climb a rock" shirt? :D

General Chang (TUC)

Federation President (TUC)

Chancellor Gorkon (TUC)

I'm sure I'd like to see more figures from the various tv series, but it's been so long since I've watched them that I can't remember many of the characters. But I too would like to see some figures from Voyager.

Thanks! It's sig-tacular, no?

That's a nice list of characters there too. The problem with this line is they like to re-release the same characters over and over instead of branching out more so we get everyone.

How about Kirk in his "go climb a rock" shirt? :D

Hey yeah! Everyone in their camping outfits! Nice! (lol) Seriously, I think that whole sequence was my favorite part of the movie, sadly enough. But yeah, I'd buy 'em.

Oh by the way, my Diamond Select Season 7 Picard came today! WOO-HOO!! He's just as cool as the Admiral Riker. But it's funny, the Galoob Riker came today too, so I have this six-inch Picard figure standing next to this tiny little Riker. He looks like an Oompa-Loompa next to him... (lol)

I did notice however that the Galoob Riker has a maroon color to his unifrom, and the Picard has a straight-up red in his. So were their uniforms red or maroon, or both at different times in these different appearances? What I'm trying to ask is, are these figures accurate representations of their different unifroms in the series, and therefore one was really maroon and the other really was red? Does it really matter? Why am I asking you all of these questions? (A No-Prize for the one who recognizes what I'm quoting with that last question.) (lol)

Oh by the way, my Diamond Select Season 7 Picard came today! WOO-HOO!! He's just as cool as the Admiral Riker. But it's funny, the Galoob Riker came today too, so I have this six-inch Picard figure standing next to this tiny little Riker. He looks like an Oompa-Loompa next to him... (lol)

I did notice however that the Galoob Riker has a maroon color to his unifrom, and the Picard has a straight-up red in his. So were their uniforms red or maroon, or both at different times in these different appearances? What I'm trying to ask is, are these figures accurate representations of their different unifroms in the series, and therefore one was really maroon and the other really was red? Does it really matter? Why am I asking you all of these questions? (A No-Prize for the one who recognizes what I'm quoting with that last question.) (lol)

I believe the Galoob figures were in production prior to the actual release of the TNG series, and made from the actual costume designs. The reason for the maroon color is that all the "red" uniforms for TNG were actualy maroon in reality. A true red uniform would have been too bright for filming, thus they were darkened. Galoob went with what they physically saw for color.

Well, I got Riker and LaForge in the mail today. They look great, but the red in Riker's uniform looks deeper or maybe brighter than Picard's. It almost makes Picard's look a little faded. I guess when you just glance at them side-by-side you don't notice it as much. But I would like to be able to display them together and have them look "uniform", for a lack of a better term... (lol)

And Geordi? Ahh...I think I may have broken him right out of the package. I thought his visor was removeable and tried to take it off, and I'm thinking maybe it's not meant to be removed. Although you can see that his eyes have been painted white for accuracy underneath, his visor is loose on the left side, like maybe it had been glued and I pulled it loose. (Crap!!) Me and my curiosity. (lol) The good news is it stays in place and looks okay. But what confuses me is that on the sides of his head there are peg holes, as if the visor was originally meant to be removeable. Oh well...

And...right out of the package, Geordi had a greasy look and feel to him and smelled strongly of action figure plastic (you know the smell), almost as if he had been melting or disintegrating. And the plastic of his uniform looks shiny instead of the flat black on Riker's and Picard's uniforms. Weird...

One more thing I noticed; when I got the Admiral Riker and Picard figures, they seemed to share the same hands, arms, and maybe legs. I began to think that maybe most if not all of the figures might share some of the same body parts, which would have been fine with me actually. But I was pleasantly suprised to find that Riker, Geordi, and Picard figures seem to sport original sculpts, except maybe Riker and Picard have the same hands. But also, Riker is taller than Picard and LaForge, and LaForge is even pretty small compared to the other two. So it seems to me that Diamond Select/Art Asylum has really done their homework in regards to each actor's individual size and build. It's nice when a company goes that extra mile for realism. Great figures. I just wish I hadn't tried to pry Geordi's visor off... @grumpy@

Well, I got Riker and LaForge in the mail today. They look great, but the red in Riker's uniform looks deeper or maybe brighter than Picard's. It almost makes Picard's look a little faded. I guess when you just glance at them side-by-side you don't notice it as much. But I would like to be able to display them together and have them look "uniform", for a lack of a better term... (lol)

And Geordi? Ahh...I think I may have broken him right out of the package. I thought his visor was removeable and tried to take it off, and I'm thinking maybe it's not meant to be removed. Although you can see that his eyes have been painted white for accuracy underneath, his visor is loose on the left side, like maybe it had been glued and I pulled it loose. (Crap!!) Me and my curiosity. (lol) The good news is it stays in place and looks okay. But what confuses me is that on the sides of his head there are peg holes, as if the visor was originally meant to be removeable. Oh well...

And...right out of the package, Geordi had a greasy look and feel to him and smelled strongly of action figure plastic (you know the smell), almost as if he had been melting or disintegrating. And the plastic of his uniform looks shiny instead of the flat black on Riker's and Picard's uniforms. Weird...

One more thing I noticed; when I got the Admiral Riker and Picard figures, they seemed to share the same hands, arms, and maybe legs. I began to think that maybe most if not all of the figures might share some of the same body parts, which would have been fine with me actually. But I was pleasantly suprised to find that Riker, Geordi, and Picard figures seem to sport original sculpts, except maybe Riker and Picard have the same hands. But also, Riker is taller than Picard and LaForge, and LaForge is even pretty small compared to the other two. So it seems to me that Diamond Select/Art Asylum has really done their homework in regards to each actor's individual size and build. It's nice when a company goes that extra mile for realism. Great figures. I just wish I hadn't tried to pry Geordi's visor off... @grumpy@

The visor was indeed meant to be removeable. You did not 'break' it. I took mine off, too, and then squished it so it would stay back on. I thought about glueing it premenantly, but you never know when you're gonna want to take it off again.