Black Lantern Corps Revealed

Fanatic

Hey, so I don't read DC comics ... at all, however this latest DC event looks pretty good that even I might give it a go. I guess some of you mighty want to see this so here it is:

blackest-night-20090429100753879.jpg

You can see pieces of costumes of Aquaman and Firestorm there. My guess is they mighty try to bring Batman back with this, what do you guys think ?

More info and pictures at IGN.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I see Aquaman (orange sleave with green glove), Firestorm (puffy red sleave), Martian Manhunter (blue sleave, red v's around wrist) Mirror Master (orange sleave, green guantlet, no glove), Superman 2 (blue sleave, no glove) and possibly Captain Boomerang (blue sleave with cuff, far left) and Batman or Blue Beetle (blue gloved hand). Any other ideas?

Hmmm... Green Lantern has been a better than average comic book, but I'm getting a little tired of the book just being Green Lantern vs. the Color of the Month Lantern. How long has it been since Hal Jordan was on Earth defending it from Hector Hammond or Doctor Polaris? Tom DeFalco used to have a saying to the effect that in Thor, you could have all the stories set on Asgard that you want but every now and then, Thor has to come back to Earth and beat up the Absorbing Man.

In addition, this whole story smacks of Marvel Zombies with a touch of the Legion's Great Darkness Saga. I don't know how Paul Levitz didn't come down and say, "Hey! I wrote this same story twenty years ago!"

In another random thought...DC just can't stop abusing poor Earth-2 Superman. I think the only character they've trashed worse than E2S is Mrs. Elongated Man, Sue Digby!

Well I see Aquaman (orange sleave with green glove), Firestorm (puffy red sleave), Martian Manhunter (blue sleave, red v's around wrist) Mirror Master (orange sleave, green guantlet, no glove), Superman 2 (blue sleave, no glove) and possibly Captain Boomerang (blue sleave with cuff, far left) and Batman or Blue Beetle (blue gloved hand). Any other ideas?

Good eye!

All I know is I skipped out on the DCDirect Black Hand figure when it came out because i thought he was a lame villain, and there was a guy at a convention who literally had 40 Black Hands on his table because he had sold all the other figures in all the cases he had bought but couldn't unload those damn BHs. I was thinking "Poor bastard"...now i kinda want one.

Hmmm... Green Lantern has been a better than average comic book, but I'm getting a little tired of the book just being Green Lantern vs. the Color of the Month Lantern.

I don't really read comics anymore, but I usually hear bits and pieces about what's going on, and this was my impression when I saw this.

There's a Lantern Corps for every color of the rainbow, and it reminds me of the way Smallville kept bringing up different kinds of kryptonite to add new behaviors for Clark. Definitely not very original or "outside the box" thinking. That doesn't mean it can't or won't be cool, but I just think they're not trying very hard.

I don't really read comics anymore, but I usually hear bits and pieces about what's going on, and this was my impression when I saw this.

There's a Lantern Corps for every color of the rainbow, and it reminds me of the way Smallville kept bringing up different kinds of kryptonite to add new behaviors for Clark. Definitely not very original or "outside the box" thinking. That doesn't mean it can't or won't be cool, but I just think they're not trying very hard.

To be fair, the first storyline mining the "Lanterns of the Rainbow" schtick was the Sinestro Corp story from last year which was pretty entertaining. This was then followed up immediately by the Alpha Lanterns and then the Red Lanterns and now the Orange Lanterns. These stories were all done almost back-to-back. Even the seven part origin story that came in between the Alpha and Red Lanterns story was a set-up for the Red Lanterns. Now we have the Black Lanterns coming up and there are Indigo Lanterns somewhere on the horizon. These later stories have certainly been better than most comics out there (not a hard feat nowadays) but they do lack the novelty of the Sinestro Corp story.

I would kill for a good old-fashioned Goldface story.

Fanatic thanks for the info. I personaly have been waiting for DC to do a zombies type story for the figure they could do for the dc universe. I thought it was neat when marvel did it. I am like a few out whos not much into comics anymore other than michael linsner stuff but i still think its a cool idea.

And as far as ripping off they stpry line from marvel i don't really care i think there enough market for both to do the same basic thing but have some twist. If coke and pepsi can do it well so can dc and marvel. There are fans of both just like there will be fans of both with this

Comparing Blackest Night to Marvel Zombies is like apples and oranges. Goeff Johns set up the beginnings of "Blackest Night" way back in the Green Lantern: Rebirth Limited Series.

And the Marvel Zombies books were just poking fun at the term 'Marvel Zombie' which was a reference to Marvel fanatics from the 60's and 70's, a term coined by Stan Lee. If anything, the MZ books are the result of Marvel capitalizing on the success of The Walking Dead and other zombie comics, which are of course capitalizing on the genre of zombie movies in general since the 60's. I don't think Marvel was prepared for the success that MZ initially had.

And I don't think DC said "Eureka! Marvel is having a field day with zombies! let's do that!"

The DCD Black Hand is an underrated figure. In fact that whole Green Lantern line is pretty solid.

Green Lantern might be pound for pound DC's best book, though I will agree that the "Lantern color of the Month" stories were dull. I don't care what anyone says, Geoff John is just as good a writer as Brian Michael Bendis.

Other than Buffy the Vampire Slayer I don't buy anymore comics. I'm sure I'll grab the trades down the line.

DCD Black Hand was so good, I had to open it and then went and bought another to keep in the package. The sculpt is one of DCD's best ever and he fits great with DCUC

Also I seriously doubt that Marvel Zombies is anything like Blackest Knight. MZ is a zombie story and Blackest Knight is one aspect of a color spectrum story. It in no way is connect or related, I think your off your rocker. Anyway Green Lantern is the best book in DC and the best book in comicdom right now. It is long and drawn out but its still the best and I am so digging the book.

Hmmm... Green Lantern has been a better than average comic book, but I'm getting a little tired of the book just being Green Lantern vs. the Color of the Month Lantern.

Ummm... Smallvile didn't event all the different types of Kryptonite the Silver Age comics did that.

And having all these different color lanterns, all synicing with a universal emotion (or state of being), all could have been real hokey but in my opinion Geoff Johns has really knocked the ball out of park with all this and turned the Green Lantern mythos into something truely epic. And yeah, I see how the different lantern color of the month can seem a little tiring but I still think it's better then dragging on for years and years a slow sub-plot build up (third summers brother anyone) to something like Blackest Night. I read both Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps and they've just been wonderful, organic reads for me.

The GL and GL Corps has become the only book I read the day I get it. My pull list has gone from 15-20 titles to 6 or 7.

Really, it's the only book out there that seems worth reading right now.

The GL and GL Corps has become the only book I read the day I get it. My pull list has gone from 15-20 titles to 6 or 7.

Really, it's the only book out there that seems worth reading right now.

I fell way behind on GL...stopped right when the Sinestro Wars started. Nowadays my #1 book is JSA

Martian Manhunter

& ?earth two or whatever superman

have already been confirmed thanks to the dcd toys fyi :)

Personally I can't wait for this GL & GLC are one of the only books I bother to read :D

Ummm... Smallvile didn't event all the different types of Kryptonite the Silver Age comics did that.

Some of them came from the comic, but Smallville introduced black kryptonite and silver kryptonite on its own.

Some of them came from the comic, but Smallville introduced black kryptonite and silver kryptonite on its own.

Wasn't one of those (silver?) just a piece of rock with braniac's 'liquid' form on it?

Wasn't one of those (silver?) just a piece of rock with braniac's 'liquid' form on it?

I just read through Wiki's article on it, and it doesn't specifically say, but it says he did synthesize it, though not necessarily of himself.

And there's a ludicrous number of kryptonites, too - more than I knew of, and that's a lot! (The one's I didn't know about are more modern, though, so I feel a little better about that)

Well if you read Blackest Night 0... SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO HAVENT YET.....

it seems to me When Black Hand ripped into Bruce's coffin and grabbed his skull it would seem Batman may just be a Black Lantern. Now you dont see his hand in the ground in that preview page due to its Batman's Skull BLack Hand is holding.

blue beetle (ted kord) i don't think is dead i remember reading somewhere i think it was on wiki. there was a shadowed figure in kord ind. at the end of the issue that gave out ted's laugh and i guess someone confirmed that was him. they never actually showed him return to his death at the end of booster gold #10. as far as i remember both blue beetle and the black beetle went back in time so maybe black beetle took ted's place???