What's the next big thing?

The Great Bandito

So what's left? What's the next big concept? Remember the introduction of the BAF? We (and I use the term in the most general sense) were amazed. It was so cool so get a whole new action figure, practically for free, all for just buying what we were already going to buy. So what's the next big thing? I once thought we'd see a Build-A-Playset/Vehicle and I remember seeing stills from a presentation from Jesse Falcon there were plans for a Quinjet in the old TB ML line. But is that what we'll get next? A BAV? Or is the on-line only MOTU/GB the wave of the future? It doesn't work 100% perfectly now, but if Mattel perfects the process is that the way in which collector action figures are going to be sold? Or is there something else coming down the pike? What are your thoughts on the future of collector action figures?

So what's left? What's the next big concept? Remember the introduction of the BAF? We (and I use the term in the most general sense) were amazed. It was so cool so get a whole new action figure, practically for free, all for just buying what we were already going to buy. So what's the next big thing? I once thought we'd see a Build-A-Playset/Vehicle and I remember seeing stills from a presentation from Jesse Falcon there were plans for a Quinjet in the old TB ML line. But is that what we'll get next? A BAV? Or is the on-line only MOTU/GB the wave of the future? It doesn't work 100% perfectly now, but if Mattel perfects the process is that the way in which collector action figures are going to be sold? Or is there something else coming down the pike? What are your thoughts on the future of collector action figures?

i really can't imagine anything greater than baf, i mean another figure is way better that a car

There is no "next level". Toy Biz Marvel Legends are as great as 6 inch figures are going to get. DCUC will NEVER get to that level. Unless Hot Toys gets in the game releasing 1 figure every 3 months or so their will be no great innovation. 6 inch figures are just too big for playsets or "BAV".

Maybe eventually the figures will be able to walk and talk and kill people for you, lol but they probably won't look any better than they do now.

superman movie masters line

2 packs with dc vs marvel

batman figures from all the movies with a C&C mr freeze

A team line

Knight rider line

thundercats

tigersharks

silver hawks

commando

constintein box set

dukes of hazzard box set

These could all be the next big thing.

THE NEXT BIG THING:

Superarticulated 3 3/4 inch figures for $15.99 each exclusive to Walmart on the West Coast, exclusive to Target on the East Coast, only available on Ebay in the Midwest and Canada with coupons and collectable points for an Exclusive that will be announced at SDCC in 2012.

The "next big thing" is usually the "next old thing redux" all over again--usually just variations on old themes.

Depending on the trends and technology, the next big things could deal with interactivity or collect-ability.

Action figures are pretty much at the limit of articulation, and sculpting aesthetics, so the idea of function is pretty much at the limit of as far as it can go.

Interactivity can be via sound chips, magnetic activation or interaction, or some other kind of sensor technology.

Noise and lights are perennial gimmicks that show up all the time in toys, and sometimes they are hits and sometimes they fall flat.

Comics, trading cards and DVDs are a form of interactivity, but some can be expensive to include.

Collectible concepts involve "Build-A-....." gimmicks, as so do making figures cheaper and more affordable.

One of the big feature of small toys in the 80's was that 3 3/4" figure could be tucked into a pocket. This was a HUGE selling point for such toys.

The smaller and cheaper the toys were, the more you could own of them. A BAF concept is an incentive to buy into waves, to complete the BAF. This gimmick was a lot going for it because the BAF need not be a figure, it can be a vehicle part, or a diorama.

One gimmick that i do not think we'll see much of any more is multiple gimmicks in the same package--like some of the Marvel Legends toys.

They would have a figure, a BAF, a comic, AND a collectible trading card all in the same package.

The thing about BAFs is that there is a certain limit in how cost-effective they are.

For all intents and purposes, some BAFs are like having a second figure on the package (never mind that its incomplete), simply because of the number of parts on the BAF peice.

In many ways, its MORE cost effective to include a generic stand for the figure, because its usually a single part.

The problem with stands is that they omit the attraction of completing a set. The BAF is a good incentive to buy more product, BUT........as we all well know......if you cannot buy ( or FIND) the product, you cannot complete the BAF.

Not true arrow as far as articulation. they still can do voice chips that make them say stuff and have them move own there own mouths that move maybe a hing joint at the jaw. There are still twiks that could be made

I disagree.

If one is talking about figures in the scale of DCUC, Marvel Legends or smaller, they are pretty much at the limits of articulation before the sculpts get seriously compromised--in terms of looks and structure.

Voice chips are interactive components, not articulation, and motion functions are not practical in small scale figures.

In terms of articulating the figures, there's not much more outside of what Toybiz was doing with Marvel Legends that can be done at that scale.

Larger scale figure are just no longer viable in a major way........too costly to make, and too high a price-point to anchor a toyline.

Besides, all of the above gimmicks have been tried on larger figures too.

More realism. Look at what Hot Toys and Enterbay are doing. Enterbay perfected a silicone skin over a standard 1/6 scale body that replicates the feel of human skin. The paint is applied to the skin, making it look almost like real skin.

Hot Toys and Enterbay are now using movable eyes. Lord knows what else they're working on.

Not true arrow as far as articulation. they still can do voice chips that make them say stuff and have them move own there own mouths that move maybe a hing joint at the jaw. There are still twiks that could be made

I disagree.

If one is talking about figures in the scale of DCUC, Marvel Legends or smaller, they are pretty much at the limits of articulation before the sculpts get seriously compromised--in terms of looks and structure.

Voice chips are interactive components, not articulation, and motion functions are not practical in small scale figures.

In terms of articulating the figures, there's not much more outside of what Toybiz was doing with Marvel Legends that can be done at that scale.

Larger scale figure are just no longer viable in a major way........too costly to make, and too high a price-point to anchor a toyline.

Besides, all of the above gimmicks have been tried on larger figures too.

Your right you got me on that one i agree like you said unless they go the way marvel legends went for articulation. But honeslty i hope they dont. I liked the ML but thought they started to look silly with all the little parts moveing.

But have to bring up super powers for in scale moveing parts. Yea we had to make them move but if there was a way to do like that did with the DCUC line i think it could work.. Like in my mind i would like to see something like this.

green arrow with quick relese so he could really shoot his arrows or maybe have batman with removeable mask or flash with leg motion but still have the articulation they have now. I know i am dreaming big so hush lol

I think the next big thing is a small thing, actually. I think more and more toy lines are going to the smaller 3 3/4 size (look at Star Trek and Terminator, Infinite Heroes and the Marvel line...they are all heading toward the G I Joe size).

Smaller size means they can do playsets and vehicles.

I would love a C&C vehicle or accesory (maybe a chair for Metron?), but I'm not sure that'll happen.

I think the next big thing will be online connectivity, kind of like Webkinz. Hasbro is already experimenting with this in the Marvel Universe line. Imagine a line where you could "control" your figures in a virtual world. How cool would it bee to play multiplayer deathmatch with the figures you own? Since videogames are the current popular thing, I imagine that at some point a company will attempt to bridge the gap between figures and videogames.