DCD history of series 3

nonameshmo30

Hmmmm...not a lot here that screams "Must Have" to me. Obviously don't need another Supes. Brainiac is coming out in DCUC. PlasticMan possibly, we'll have to see how he looks in the poseability dept. Ocean Master? A cool figure, but not essential for that price.

I'll get everyone except Supes. I expect a Plastic Man from DCUC eventually, but I don't yet have a DCD version, so that's OK. Brainy will also come from DCUC, but if I don't end up getting the 2-pack, at least I'll have this version.

i don't like supe's face

I don't either. I'm not sure why, but it seems like DCD Superman figures have crappy faces more often than not. I realize they're artist-specific interpretations, but they seem to come out bad most of the time.

If they'd take that Brainiac head sculpt, paint it fleshtone, and give it some black hair, that'd be a much better looking face for Superman. This wide-eyed, constipated 1940s movie star look doesn't fit.

Will be getting all of them cept Supes...

Oceanmaster - Been waiting for him for quite some time

Plastic Man - To date I have not been able to obtain a single Plastic Man, hopefully I will be able to get my hands on this one...

Brainiac - Finally a Pink Shirt Classic version!!!! Yes I know DCUC has one coming out which I do have on pre-order... but I have an obsesion with Brainiac and must own every version!!!! Besides I have my DCD display and my DCUC display don't want to mix the two up.

With the exception of the occasional Green Lantern wave, I've really walked away from DC Direct for awhile now. The emphasis on Superman and Batman and using the art of contemporary artists as a guide resulted in products that really put me off. This line, however, really speaks to me and might just lure me back. So far all three waves of this line that have been introduced have really grabbed me with great line-ups.

Here are a couple of observations:

1. I notice we're three waves into this line and there are still no female characters. I guess they haven't designed a female George Perez inspired body yet.

2. I'm amazed that it took until Wave 3 to see some villains surface in this line.

3. I know we've had a ton of Hal Jordans lately but Hal is one of those characters that DCD keeps doing over and over but never seem to get just right. A George Perez inspired Hal might just be the perfect one.

4. As with all DCD products, while I'm excited about this line, the final decision as to whether or not to buy depends on what finally reaches the toy shelves. Mattel isn't the only company with unpredictable quality control!

5. Batman and Superman have big capes. I hope those capes are of a soft plastic and not a big, clunky hard plastic board that turns the figure into a bulky statue.

6. I hope Plastic Man's hammer hand and super-stretched neck can be interchanged with a normal neck and hand. I'd hate to have a Plas with a permanently out-stretched neck.

the best thing about this line is what NoNameShmo pointed out: greater articulation

the last two seriously articulate figures were JLA Superman & the more recent Armory Batman.

These figs actually have ball jointed shoulder and legs, and apparently (speaking in slow, soft tones) waist movement. If DC Direct does more figs like these, they can really make some that are far desireable among us action figure fans.