Anyone seen the new Hot Wheels Trek ships?

Jangonate

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Klingon BoP looks like it might be roughly in scale with the new DST Enterprise D that is coming out soon. They could display well together.

I think the Micro Machine BOP would be a better scale, remember "a dozen officers and men". Sulu meant 12 maybe.

I have the bird of prey, but have not seen the new enterprise out yet. The BOP wings do move up and down, and they click into position, so they will stay put. It looks more to scale with the AA enterprise-A, than the upcoming -D.

That Klingon BoP looks like it might be roughly in scale with the new DST Enterprise D that is coming out soon. They could display well together.

I think the Micro Machine BOP would be a better scale, remember "a dozen officers and men". Sulu meant 12 maybe.

Yeah, it definitely has a small crew, but in TNG, whenever a BoP would show up, it certainly wasn't tiny compared to the Enterprise D. I think the Micro Machines might be too small, but then this Hot Wheels version might be a little too big. We'll just have to see when both are finally released.

There were different classes to Birds of Prey. The Movie era one is a 12 man crew. The TNG era one is a roughly 300 person crew. I would consider the old playmates Enterprise D to almost be on scale with this die cast BOP.

I don't think that's accurate. I checked Memory Alpha here: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Klingon_Bird-of-Prey

It states:

"On average, a Bird-of-Prey had a crew compliment that varied from "about a dozen officers and men," up to a crew of thirty-six. (Star Trek III: The Search for Spock; DS9: "Return to Grace") A skeleton crew of a half-dozen could adequately operate a Bird-of-Prey, and even take it successfully into battle. (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home; DS9: "Once More Unto the Breach")"

This seems to imply that there was no change in the BoP from STIII and STIV up through the Dominion War in DS9.

It depends on the class of the Bird Of Prey.

Here's the wiki

Although several variants are seen throughout the franchise, design notes state that the Bird of Prey has two main classes: the B'rel-class and the K'Vort-class. Both classes used the same studio model, differing in sizes in proportion to other starships depending on variant. The B'rel-class is a scout vessel, used for espionage, skirmishes and raids, while the K'Vort-class is a light cruiser. Both classes are armed with disruptor cannons mounted on the tips of the wings and a forward torpedo launcher, although the K'Vort-class possesses an extra two ship-mounted disruptor banks and a second torpedo launcher. Likewise, both classes are equipped with cloaking devices and are capable of impulse and warp speeds. With a crew of only 12 and a length of 160 meters, the B'rel-class is far smaller than the K'Vort-class, which measures 320 meters and possesses a crew of 1,500. The interior of the Bird of Prey is similar to that of Douglas Trumbull's submarine-like designs for the K't'inga-class; some Birds of Prey are even shown with periscopes to allow the captain to personally target weapons. Despite relatively light armaments, Birds of Prey are shown to be effective craft; both the USS Enterprise and USS Enterprise-D are destroyed in part due to the activity of a Bird of Prey.

Here's the Technical manual from DS9, also from memory alpha:

Technical Manual

The following information of specifications and defenses comes exclusively from the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual:

Production Base: Qo'noS Orbital Factory Base.

Type: Scout (B'rel); Cruiser (K'Vort). Common planform scales up 4.3 times for cruiser.

Accommodation: 12 plus flight crew and troops (B'rel); 1,500+ flight crew and troops (K'Vort).

Power Plant: One M/A warp system; two impulse systems.

Dimensions: Length, 157.76 meters; beam, 181.54 meters; height, 98.54 meters (B'rel). Length, 678.36 meters; beam, 780.62 meters; height, 423.72 meters (K'Vort).

Mass: 236,000 metric tonnes (B'rel), 1,890,000 metric tonnes (K'Vort)

Performance: Warp 9.6 (B'rel and K'Vort).

Armament: Two ship-mounted disruptor cannons; one torpedo launcher (B'rel). Four ship-mounted disruptor cannons; two torpedo launcher (K'Vort).

So depending on the era and the scaling of the ship the crews varied greatly.

Basically though it came down to how many times can we use the same model, even though the scale would be completely of against a galaxy class ship.

1,500 people on the K'Vort? I'm gonna call BS on that one, that would make it bigger than 1701-D. I bet some douche mistakenly put an extra zero in there and chose not to change it. *looks at 1,500 and laughs*

@loll@ @loll@ @loll@

Meters...

Why does everything have to be in meters

I only know the basic foot and inch measurement system

Think of it this way, a meter is only three inches longer than a yard.

1,500 people on the K'Vort? I'm gonna call BS on that one, that would make it bigger than 1701-D. I bet some douche mistakenly put an extra zero in there and chose not to change it. *looks at 1,500 and laughs*

@loll@ @loll@ @loll@

I agree, there's something wrong there. No way is a BoP anywhere remotely close to as big as the Ent D, and she only held 1,013 passengers and crew, not 1,500. I also don't think that we've ever seen a BoP in TNG or DS9 that's any bigger than the BoP as originally seen in STIII. If we have, I sure don't remember it.

However, looking at the other measurements from that DS9 Tech Manual (i.e. dimensions and mass), they are consistent with the K'Vort being significantly bigger than the B'rel class. The length of the K'Vort is listed as 678 meters, but the Enterprise D is only about 600 meters long itself, so this K'Vort class would actually be bigger than the Ent D! For comparison, the Klingon Vor'cha class starship is only 480 meters long, and it's always been depicted as much larger than BoPs.

Enterprise D is more in the area of 640 meters, I'm guessing the K'Vort has several hundred people in it. Actually 1701-D is exactly 2,108 feet long and that length I got from one of my TNG collector cards from roughly 15 years ago. I even had most of the holograms, mostly alien ships like the Warbird and Klingon BOP. I'd be willing to bet the K'Vort may have 500 or so aboard, it's gotta be big enough to take care of itself in the 24th century so it's definitely larger than the B'Rel.

Update, I got this horsecrap from wiki. "K'Vort-class, which measures 320 meters and possesses a crew of 1,500." 320m and that much crew yeah friggin right. Someone is huffing the exhaust pipe big time.

don't forget klingon rooms are smaller as well not everyone gets there own room and the beds are tiny :S At least that we saw on that one tng episode that had spock in it :P