Anyone seen the new Hot Wheels Trek ships?

Jangonate

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah,

For 14.99 they better not be the same size as the Johnny lightning trk ships that came out a few years ago.One Target already set thier star trek stuff out already,mainly the Star trek movie stuff from Playmates.No Hotwheels Star Trek ship yet.

$15 for a ship about the size of a micro machine?

Ir's weird. If you look in the BigBadToystore.com site (I imagine like many others) I think they could have misprinted the scale. Their ad says 1:50 scale. Anyone who's collected 1/48 scale models knows a human for is about an inch or so in height, so it may be a mistake (1:500 or maybe 1:5000 scale) or they better have MASSIVE space for those GIGANTIC, Extremely affordable scale ships.

I think probably 1:5000 maybe, but I'm not aquainted with that scale.

SkyBuzz :)

Ever Notice they keep making the same damn ships in the first wave?? has anyone ever thought, hey lets try using the Defiant of the station of a runabout or hey what about the Promethsis? I mean come on. I will admit I like when Johnny lightning did do a varient of a ship and used a different name. but where is my defiant??

Ever Notice they keep making the same damn ships in the first wave?? has anyone ever thought, hey lets try using the Defiant of the station of a runabout or hey what about the Promethsis? I mean come on. I will admit I like when Johnny lightning did do a varient of a ship and used a different name. but where is my defiant??

They're not diecast at all, but a few years ago Furuta released a line of ST ships in Japan as a series of "candy toy" boxes, meaning you had no idea of the ship inside until you opened the box. They're all very basic plastic "models" but fully painted and detailed. I actually own the Defiant pictured (I totally lucked out as it was the only one I wanted & I only bought one box) and while it's not a solid chunk of PVC like I'd prefer, it's probably the most accurate Defiant I've seen in such a small scale (just under 4" long from front to back.)

There's a number of these ships (including the Prometheus) available through Amazon but they're pretty ridiculously overpriced (and no, I'm not the seller.) But at least it's a starting point to see what was made & you can try whatever online sources you know of.

They're not diecast at all, but a few years ago Furuta released a line of ST ships in Japan as a series of "candy toy" boxes, meaning you had no idea of the ship inside until you opened the box. They're all very basic plastic "models" but fully painted and detailed. I actually own the Defiant pictured (I totally lucked out as it was the only one I wanted & I only bought one box) and while it's not a solid chunk of PVC like I'd prefer, it's probably the most accurate Defiant I've seen in such a small scale (just under 4" long from front to back.)

There's a number of these ships (including the Prometheus) available through Amazon but they're pretty ridiculously overpriced (and no, I'm not the seller.) But at least it's a starting point to see what was made & you can try whatever online sources you know of.

Wave 1 is still pretty pricey and rare, but you can get Wave 2 of the Furuta Star Trek ships on the 'Bay for semi-reasonable prices.

But yes, I'm a little tired of the same ships being rehashed over and over again, too. Johnny Lightning was great to start, but died off when they went to repaints ad-infinitum (though in hindsight maybe they found out early they were losing the license so didn't put any more money into it).

Still, it's just like the "core character" mentality for action figures...get the most recognized ones out there for the casual buyers. Hopefully this line is a big success, so we can possibly get things like a Defiant, an Excelsior, Enterprise B, C, & E (and even the NX just because it'd be cool to have all the Enterprises), Romulan Warbird, Vor'cha Attack Cruiser, etc... etc...

Sadly, some of the ships I'd really like to see are probably too obscure to see made anytime soon (Prometheus, Nebula class, Akira-Class).

Yeah I have wave two and parts of wave one from Furuta. I was able to buy the whole lot for 40 bucks. I am still missing the Stargazer,the runabout, Defiant and a few others. I don't mind them making a galaxy class ship but make one that is not the Enterprise. There were six to start off with so we have that many to make. I would love to see maybe online exclusives that were the lesser known ships, nebula, Akira and a few others.

Sorry don't mean to be hating and I am not just little disappointed. I guess I hope for too much.

Ok I found this out today as far as Target is concirned

The ship may come in boxes instesd of pegable cards because they going to go on the shelf near the Hot Wheels cars and are $12.99

I heard these may be as big as the Johnny Lightning versions

I saw them today at Walmart. The had the refit, Enterprise D and the Reliant. I didn't get them because I wanted the original series version and the Bird of Prey (grrrr....). But they look good. I may end up getting the refit and the Reliant.

They're a pretty good size. If you can imagine the size of the Star Wars Action Fleet vehicles... it's more in that ball park.

Well we got in a case this morning

there are 4 per case and this shipment had

2x Enterprise A's

1x Enterprise D

1x USS Reliant

I grabbed the Reliant and a movie Emterprise

Calling it the Enterprise A isn't right because it only has NCC 1701 on it

The movie Enterprise is totally plastic and the Reliant has die cast on the top while the underside is all plastic

Saw these at Toys R Us today. They had the Enterprise - D, Original Movie Enterprise (Enterprise-A), and the Reliant. Ultimately, I was disappointed, and did not purchase them.

Observational review:

They're about two times the size of the Johnny Lightning versions (pro), and have more use of actual die-cast metal (pro). However despite being twice as large, the detail on the ships is less than that visible on the Johnny Lightning ships (big con), and the paint applications are lathered on so thick that it obscures and softens some of the molds detail (big con). Additionally, there are few paint applications overall (The Reliant was a particularly egregious offender in this regard, with no details whatsoever painted on the centerpiece of the above-saucer arch), leading to an overall lack of detail compared to the older JLs. Ultimately, I did not feel they were worth the $14.99, especially as I have all the ships they had available in smaller, yet superior in detail Johnny Lightning forms. If you don't have the JLs, they might be worth a look. I can't compare them to the Furutas as I don't own any, but I'm told the Furuta snap-kits are quite good.

I hold out hope that the product line will continue and the level of detail will improve, but as it stands at the moment, I was very much not impressed.

They did not have the Klingon Bird of Prey or the "new" Movie Enterprise available, so I can't tell you if they're any better.

I have all 3, they are a mix of metal and plastic as would be expected. I don't know why people feel the need to #$#@# about everything. Hot Wheels have always been a mix of both materials. If they were completely diecast that would indeed be cool but we know that ain't ever happening so complaining won't do any good. Heck the Corgi ships weren't 100% metal. Whoever said the JL Reliant has more detail is wrong no offense. First the torpedo launcer has alot of detail, everything on the ship looks accurate to me. The 1701 refit box label is VERY misleading, calling the pre 1701-A refit by it's successor's name. I'll be excited to snag the 09 1701 and Bird of Prey. The new 1701 is cool in it's own way whoever it will never fill the shoes of the original ship. At least the diecast versions of the new ship have red bussard collectors unlike the playmates version which has blue. I'm curious to see how the bussard collectors look illuminated in the movie since the lightworks wallpapers show non-illuminated collectors.

This reliant has the shuttle bays doors painted with a number 1 and 2 on each bay door

something the Jonny Lightning version didn't have

Plus at Target I paid $12.99 for each

If I remember correctly the JL Reliant did have 1 and 2 on the shuttle doors, they were painted very light blue with 1 and 2 on them with black trim on each number.