Mattel Reports First Quarter 2009 Financial Results

JayC

Jmacq I stoped reading your post the moment you claimed Major Corperations don't lie. don't believe me then go ask how Enron's employees are enjoying their early retirement LOL.

Straw Man argument. I said major corporations don't lie to their shareholders if they want to stay in business long (direct quote). So thank you for backing me up with your Enron example. Better come up with a better argument to back up your own delusional conspiracy theories though. But given that you've resorted to Straw Manning, I think I can safely assume you have no genuine facts or logical arguments to back up your own position or refute my own.

My reasons for wanting to know the numbers will help clear up what toys are realy making the money................& yes I'm more than willing to consider that DCUC is not the bread & butter esp w/no toon to back it up. but I still can't shake the feeling it brings more money than what's being let on.

Then please, do explain any logical reason why Mattel wouldn't inform their shareholders that DCUC is a highly profitable/successful line if it was? Preferably one that isn't based in delusional conspiracy theories that defy common sense, much less basic business sense.

I won't hold my breath though. You seem incapable of grasping any conclusion that doesn't involve you somehow being some persecuted minority that the big, bad, evil corporations are trying to HIDE THE TRUTH from!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then please, do explain any logical reason why Mattel wouldn't inform their shareholders that DCUC is a highly profitable/successful line if it was? Preferably one that isn't based in delusional conspiracy theories that defy common sense, much less basic business sense.

Stockholder reports do not into detail about specific sublines, in this case DCUC as part of the overall DC license that Mattel holds. Stockholder reports ( I used to get them with some of my investments) typically have just general overall quarterly gains and losses, and do not break down by department to any great degree.

If someone wants to get the specific info in that level of detail, there's really only one way: Begin the process of buying Mattel and undertake a due diligence process,which allows the prospective buyer access to the company's books. Therein they will see, in detail, just what is earning what, right down to what they spend on paper clips.

If that doesn't shut up SQ, nothing will.....oh , we can hope............

Wow a lot of Hostility around here. Personally I don't buy that Collector Lines are not selling well and aren't a big part of Mattel . Simply because why would they even be included in the inventory? Why would they go through the trouble and hire the best sculptors in the business to sell toys. It has to be profitable, so they should care for us (even if its just a little). I must agree more money probably goes to Barbie and their tooling, but they also charge 4 times as much as an action figure. I'm not exactly true for all barbies, but I went to the barbie aisle and the Wizard of Oz dolls were $43 each! The quality was superb but too expensive. My point here is that maybe if action figures were as premium as the dolls and die-cast Hot Wheels maybe they could be a key business point in the future as long as they make them right.

P.S. Ms. Queen I use Mozilla Firefox in order to reduce my miss spelled words, it helps. :)

Wow a lot of Hostility around here. Personally I don't buy that Collector Lines are not selling well and aren't a big part of Mattel . Simply because why would they even be included in the inventory? Why would they go through the trouble and hire the best sculptors in the business to sell toys. It has to be profitable, so they should care for us (even if its just a little). I must agree more money probably goes to Barbie and their tooling, but they also charge 4 times as much as an action figure. I'm not exactly true for all barbies, but I went to the barbie aisle and the Wizard of Oz dolls were $43 each! The quality was superb but too expensive. My point here is that maybe if action figures were as premium as the dolls and die-cast Hot Wheels maybe they could be a key business point in the future as long as they make them right.

P.S. Ms. Queen I use Mozilla Firefox in order to reduce my miss spelled words, it helps. :)

The problem with this approach is that we (collectors) already complain that they're overpriced at $11.88 apiece. Imagine if they were $24.88 apiece or more?

NOTHING at Mattel was profitable this quarter...they lost $50 million dollars. They may have been internally profitable (more was brought in than spent in getting the individual segment out), but altogether, it was not enough profit to put Mattel "in the black."

The problem with this approach is that we (collectors) already complain that they're overpriced at $11.88 apiece. Imagine if they were $24.88 apiece or more?

No no people complain about the 11.88, because its an inferior product, and because every three months new inferior product comes out and can't be found.

When I used the Wizard of Oz Dolls as an example you have to consider that its been out since last year, I've seen every character in the line multiple times, the product has various accessories, the detail in life-like, and its about 11 inches high.

Most taller toys are more expensive. And maybe Mattel having that 43 dollar doll didn't help boost their sales in a recession. But overall it comes down to the company's quality, I believe that is what killed the oh so great Marvel Legends, and why He-man is doing so good. After all why would a mom buy something for a child that breaks upon opening (DCUC Waves 1-7). Plus its true, kids loose their affection of action figures at a earlier age. Computers and Video games have destroyed part of a new generation of childhood. But I still have hope, my five year old nephew loves action figures and though I let him play gears of war, he much rather play with GOW action figures.

P.S I use the Wizard of Oz line because I wanted to get my sister Dorthy, and has been my only contact with Barbies.

Wow a lot of Hostility around here. Personally I don't buy that Collector Lines are not selling well and aren't a big part of Mattel . Simply because why would they even be included in the inventory? Why would they go through the trouble and hire the best sculptors in the business to sell toys.

They ARE selling well, but they are NOT selling ( nor being produced) in the quantities that some deluded people think. The misconceptions come from the observations people have of their local stores; they either find them mostly sold out, or not in stock at all--and they hear a claim or two from someone else elswhere and conclude that they MUST be selling out nationwide.

It overlooks the fact that these are being made in much smaller amounts so the supply is more accurately meeting the actual demand.

10,000 DC figures ( and example) selling out to 10,000 collectors is a "success" ( because it sells out), but that's just 10,000--something like Star Wars sells well over 100,000 of a given figure. The DC figures cannot attain , or sustain, those kinds of stratospheric sales numbers to make them a true sales success and THIS is where the deluded are tripping up.

The projections and expected sales figures for these toys are VERY tame compared to the truly popular toy lines these days (Star Wars)--the fact that they sell out in many places simply says that the supply is adequate to meet the demand. (Just look at the pegs space for DCUC and Star Wars for the biggest hint...)

And if anyone doubts that... look no further than Hasbro's Marvel Legends wave 1, in which they themselves got suckered into the same delusions--and produced quantities that far outstripped the demand. If DCUC was produced in quantities that the deluded THINK the market supports, we'd see these toys peg-warming in massive amounts.

The current marketplace cannot and will not sustain that kind of thing, especially for a toy line without other media support at this time.

The quantities that Mattel are making and the demand are clearing allowing this line pay for itself, but they are not lighting the world in fire with the profits.

This is why the line maintains a strict policy of extensive re-use of parts, top-tier characters in each wave, re-issued characters with no C&C parts, and no vehicles or playsets planned--simply because cutting productions costs means they stay profitable.

Wow a lot of Hostility around here. Personally I don't buy that Collector Lines are not selling well and aren't a big part of Mattel . Simply because why would they even be included in the inventory? Why would they go through the trouble and hire the best sculptors in the business to sell toys.

They ARE selling well, but they are NOT selling ( nor being produced) in the quantities that some deluded people think. The misconceptions come from the observations people have of their local stores; they either find them mostly sold out, or not in stock at all--and they hear a claim or two from someone else elswhere and conclude that they MUST be selling out nationwide.

It overlooks the fact that these are being made in much smaller amounts so the supply is more accurately meeting the actual demand.

10,000 DC figures ( and example) selling out to 10,000 collectors is a "success" ( because it sells out), but that's just 10,000--something like Star Wars sells well over 100,000 of a given figure. The DC figures cannot attain , or sustain, those kinds of stratospheric sales numbers to make them a true sales success and THIS is where the deluded are tripping up.

The projections and expected sales figures for these toys are VERY tame compared to the truly popular toy lines these days (Star Wars)--the fact that they sell out in many places simply says that the supply is adequate to meet the demand. (Just look at the pegs space for DCUC and Star Wars for the biggest hint...)

And if anyone doubts that... look no further than Hasbro's Marvel Legends wave 1, in which they themselves got suckered into the same delusions--and produced quantities that far outstripped the demand. If DCUC was produced in quantities that the deluded THINK the market supports, we'd see these toys peg-warming in massive amounts.

The current marketplace cannot and will not sustain that kind of thing, especially for a toy line without other media support at this time.

The quantities that Mattel are making and the demand are clearing allowing this line pay for itself, but they are not lighting the world in fire with the profits.

This is why the line maintains a strict policy of extensive re-use of parts, top-tier characters in each wave, re-issued characters with no C&C parts, and no vehicles or playsets planned--simply because cutting productions costs means they stay profitable.

Let the truth be told. DCUC's production numbers are tiny. Nuff' Said.

Jmacq I stoped reading your post the moment you claimed Major Corperations don't lie. don't believe me then go ask how Enron's employees are enjoying their early retirement LOL.

Straw Man argument. I said major corporations don't lie to their shareholders if they want to stay in business long (direct quote). So thank you for backing me up with your Enron example. Better come up with a better argument to back up your own delusional conspiracy theories though. But given that you've resorted to Straw Manning, I think I can safely assume you have no genuine facts or logical arguments to back up your own position or refute my own.

My reasons for wanting to know the numbers will help clear up what toys are realy making the money................& yes I'm more than willing to consider that DCUC is not the bread & butter esp w/no toon to back it up. but I still can't shake the feeling it brings more money than what's being let on.

I won't hold my breath though. You seem incapable of grasping any conclusion that doesn't involve you somehow being some persecuted minority that the big, bad, evil corporations are trying to HIDE THE TRUTH from!

LOL, no not hide at least not from the share holders. And i suggest you re-read my post because I made my case there. All a share holder wants to know is after makeing their investment, are they richer or poorer.

I mean can you imagin a Mattel VP bringing a toy too the money meeting (maby a R&D meeting) but not a money meeting. Matter of fact the only way I could think of DCUC coming up at a money meeting is to hit the investors up for more $$$$ so they can fix the problems that have been hurting one of their more popular toy lines (now see I said MORE popular lines, not MOST). I'm not out of touch with reality!

I've already said many of Mattels lines are...............oh never mind! I'm done repeating myself.

Stockholder reports do not into detail about specific sublines, in this case DCUC as part of the overall DC license that Mattel holds. Stockholder reports ( I used to get them with some of my investments) typically have just general overall quarterly gains and losses, and do not break down by department to any great degree.

If someone wants to get the specific info in that level of detail, there's really only one way: Begin the process of buying Mattel and undertake a due diligence process,which allows the prospective buyer access to the company's books. Therein they will see, in detail, just what is earning what, right down to what they spend on paper clips.

If that doesn't shut up SQ, nothing will.....oh , we can hope............

HAR.......HAR......HAR, HARDY HAR HAR @smilepunch@ (thats my best Ralph Cramden) lol.

DILIGENCE Hmmmm, you mean like that thing Fox had the pencil neck twit look at and go over in The Dark Knight. ok thanks for the info Arrow.

excellant point about the pro sculpters. i mean I don't see the 4horsemen getting tapped anytime soon to sculpt new Indiana Jones Figs. And thank you for the fire fox spell check idea, I do have a Mozilla fire fox but don't have a clue how to run a post through its spell checker (that is assumeing it has one).

LOL, no not hide at least not from the share holders. And i suggest you re-read my post because I made my case there. All a share holder wants to know is after makeing their investment, are they richer or poorer.

I mean can you imagin a Mattel VP bringing a toy too the money meeting (maby a R&D meeting) but not a money meeting. Matter of fact the only way I could think of DCUC coming up at a money meeting is to hit the investors up for more $$$$ so they can fix the problems that have been hurting one of their more popular toy lines (now see I said MORE popular lines, not MOST). I'm not out of touch with reality!

I've already said many of Mattels lines are...............oh never mind! I'm done repeating myself.

Reading your posts in this thread made me LOL. Thanks for that.

NOTHING at Mattel was profitable this quarter...they lost $50 million dollars. They may have been internally profitable (more was brought in than spent in getting the individual segment out), but altogether, it was not enough profit to put Mattel "in the black."

Oh my dear Lord! your completely right! why did'nt I see it before. Poor Mattel is bleeding money left and right........OH LAWDY LAWDY LAWD! If only our fav toy company in the whole wide world had some kind of...........................STUFF, they could sell and make lots and lots of money off of.

WAIT..........THEY DO!!!!!!!! ITS CALLED DC UNIVERSE CLASSICS HAHAHAHAHA @loll@ . I've already said this, If Mattel think were gonna buy worthless crap that neither kid nor collector wants just to make them rich........er, then there nuts! This is still America baby and if you want to make a billion dollars then you gotta work for it. No one is just gonna hand it too you on a Ritz cracker.

Mattel needs to stop complaining and........make........the........TOYS!

Thank god you don't run them. You'd have them bankrupt within a year.

All the "collectors" in the world couldn't make Mattel profitable this quarter, but DCUC collectors are going to do it by themselves? Riiiiiight.

News flash "queenie": There's a #$@#-ton more Hot Wheels and Barbie collectors than there are DCUC collectors.

All the "collectors" in the world couldn't make Mattel profitable this quarter, but DCUC collectors are going to do it by themselves? Riiiiiight.

News flash "queenie": There's a #$@#-ton more Hot Wheels and Barbie collectors than there are DCUC collectors.

thats true.

Oye. It's like trying to convince a four year old in a sanitarium how the American checks and balances system works in our Govt and the rebuttal is "HA HA HA! Pancakes!!!!"

Jmacq, pooda, (et al) your erudite, cogent arguments can't hold a candle to BONKERS!

Oye. It's like trying to convince a four year old in a sanitarium how the American checks and balances system works in our Govt and the rebuttal is "HA HA HA! Pancakes!!!!"

Jmacq, pooda, (et al) your erudite, cogent arguments can't hold a candle to BONKERS!

Oh, maan, you have soooo nailed it.

So your just hell bent on makeing me say something that I don't believe huh? If I were the head of Mattel & found out some dil knocker noob went behind my back & ordered the decrease of Hot Wheels & Barbie so more effort could be dumped in to DCUC , that noob would be out of his or her cushy lil over paid job toot sweet!!! I've never been under any such impression. I simply want Mattel to increase production of DCUC to the point where there suply numbers are compariable to TFs or maby G.I. Joe.

I, how ever would NOT want them to mass produse them on Clone Wars level. IMO that line is WAAAY over prodused. but Hasbro can get away with it some what because kids & parents alike will choose SW figs when nothing else catches their attention in the toy isle. I don't want to make a major change to Mattel, just make more till the fans are SATED!

nothing more, nothing less.

EDIT: Oh yeah one more thing I would change about Mattel's handeling of DCUC, BOOSTER CASES! Meaning if shortly after a wave has been prodused & it was determined that a good majority did'nt get a certain fig due to lack of production of that fig or because scalper bought them all, Mattel should generate additional booster cases of only that fig until people get caught up on their collection.

I mean they've got the molds just laying around doing nothing right? & Mattel is always claiming that the 2nd scalper market does nothing for their bottem line riiiiight? So if all this is true then what the harm in issuing out booster cases???

Edited by SUPREMEQUEEN

Some people just don't get it. That's ok. Entertainment for all.

If you're in my neck of the woods and you need the following figures they are readily available at Wal-Marts and Targets around the state:

Wonder Woman

Ares

Batman Beyond

Cyborg

Captain Atom

Flash

Kid Flash

Hawkman

Captain Cold

Blue Beetle

Booster Gold

Ocean Warrior Aquaman

Firestorm

Now I know that the Rhode Island market is a small sliver of the world toy economy, but my point in an earlier post was that the distribution problems in RI have apparently been fixed. Now Wave 4 clogs Target shelves and THE BRAND NEW Wave 7 clogs Wal-Mart shelves. Target might have made a mistake of stocking too much Wave 4 but seriously, the new wave of figures is just sitting around in Wal-Marts collecting dust? People aren't buying them because they're not as popular as the kool-aid drinking, tin foil-hat wearing conspiracy theorists want them to be. I guarantee that when Wave 8 is set to hit shelves these same people will be complaining that they can't get them because the stores bought too much of Wave 7 even though they demanded more retail support, which, in RI's case, for the most part has been met.

I would love a world where everyone buys superhero toys but not everyone is into them. Do you really think kids sit around hoping for Santa Claus to bring them Killer Moth and Big Barda? Get a clue. This is an adult collectors line and truth be told in this economy they're lucky to get anyone to buy them.

You're all gonna hate me for saying this but I bet DCUC's chances of survival are better off on MattyCollector.com.

I guess Queenie didn't see Hasbro's #'s either. Marvel didn't save them from losses. Hell, Star Wars couldn't save them from losses.

The lack of respect for other collector's interest shown by some people on this board is amazing. If you think Barbie and Hot Wheels don't matter then I got some magic beans I'd like to sell you.

I guess Queenie didn't see Hasbro's #'s either. Marvel didn't save them from losses. Hell, Star Wars couldn't save them from losses.

The lack of respect for other collector's interest shown by some people on this board is amazing. If you think Barbie and Hot Wheels don't matter then I got some magic beans I'd like to sell you.

Actually, Hasbro still made a profit last quarter. Not as much of a profit as the same quarter last year, but they still pulled in more money than they spent. The Star Wars brand actually grew, according to their stockholder report.

Mattel, on the other hand, actually lost money. They did not make a profit in the last quarter, and instead overall lost about $50 million dollars.