Could this be the new Dial Tone?

HissCommander

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you pay close attention to the G.I. Joe: Resolute website, you'll find that Dial-Tone is a female in the already-beloved Resolute-verse, as well.

Looks like Hasbro has "officially" changed Dial-Tone into a woman. I suppose the original retired and started a successful telecommunications consulting company, and this new girl just picked up the old code-name.

If you pay close attention to the G.I. Joe: Resolute website, you'll find that Dial-Tone is a female in the already-beloved Resolute-verse, as well.

Looks like Hasbro has "officially" changed Dial-Tone into a woman. I suppose the original retired and started a successful telecommunications consulting company, and this new girl just picked up the old code-name.

Maybe hes post-op? :)

Maybe hes post-op? :)

Well, I know Resolute is supposed to be for adults, but that might be taking it a bit too far. ;)

Though maybe it's a subtle hint as to the original Dial-Tone's...leanings? @firedevil@

I really don't have a problem with them having her Dial-Tone. It's not the first time it's been done (Doc). Though that one was part of a Con set. It's also not the first time they've reused code names (Lifeline). I always like the original Dial-Tone, but there's plenty of room in Joeverse to accommodate new characters.

From what the writer of the comic said, he was originally going to create a new character, but basically because Hasbro didn't want to have to go through the trouble of trademarking a new code-name, they gave him a list of already-used code-names and said "pick one."

Thus, we now have a female Dial-Tone.

From what the writer of the comic said, he was originally going to create a new character, but basically because Hasbro didn't want to have to go through the trouble of trademarking a new code-name, they gave him a list of already-used code-names and said "pick one."

Thus, we now have a female Dial-Tone.

Nothing wrong with that. And, as Robbie said, its more that the figure looks like crap.

But that kinda begs the question, Hasbro didn't want to trademark a new code name, so that means they had Dial-Tone "available". It is likely they had a handful of characters on "reserve" status or something, but since it costs money to even have the name trademarked (as said, pick one we got instead of making a new one), it doesn't make sense they would have a lot of names they didn't intend to use at some point (ie. why spend the money and NOT use it).

So, to make a long story short (wishful thinking aside) did they intend to do Dial-Tone? If they wanted to use a code name associated with computers/electronics/communications, they could have used Breaker or Mainframe. Hell maybe even Lady Jaye. Those names, we know, are "available" and given such a drastic change, turning Breaker into a woman is no different from turning Dial-Tone into one.

But that kinda begs the question, Hasbro didn't want to trademark a new code name, so that means they had Dial-Tone "available".

Strange. As I understand it, I thought the process and cost of trademarking (or renewing a trademark for) an established character was no different or more costly than a new character. As it is, this "new" character will have to have designs submitted and documents supplied stating that it too, is indeed a version of Dial-Tone--all of which they would have to do with an all-new character anyways.

But that kinda begs the question, Hasbro didn't want to trademark a new code name, so that means they had Dial-Tone "available".

Strange. As I understand it, I thought the process and cost of trademarking (or renewing a trademark for) an established character was no different or more costly than a new character. As it is, this "new" character will have to have designs submitted and documents supplied stating that it too, is indeed a version of Dial-Tone--all of which they would have to do with an all-new character anyways.

That makes sense, but it doesn't seem to work that way or Hasbro wouldn't have "forced" them to use the old name.