Q&A With Mattel

JayC

With all the venom being spat at Mattel as of late (mostly Gleek related), they are doing their best given the current marketplace. They don't the infrastructure of a Hasbro with the big licenses like Star Wars and Tranformers plus DC has a lot lower market share than Marvel right now in terms of comics. You could probably blame DC Editor in Chief Dan Didio for that mess and his bone headed editorial moves the past 3 years. And this could possibly explain why the big name retailers like Wal-Mart are shying away from carrying the line on a more widespread basis and moving toward Marvel Universe related merchandise. So for the exclusive wave, Wal-Mart is the big boy in town and they essentially control the toy biz now with their huge overall retail precsense. Toys R' Us is on the ropes and with KB gone, Mattel has to honor that agreeement otherwise Wal-Mart could drop the line entirely.

Then, where will you be? No more DCUC. Now cry a little more about Gleek will ya?

And the MOTUC line is a limited edition. LIMITED, meaning you get you're chance to buy a figure, consider yourself lucky. Its not a retail line and grows on all trees like apples. You can't pick one up whenever you like. If the limited line takes off, look for it in stores then? I'm sure it will. The movie coming in 2011, will give MOTU much more brand awareness than the previous 200X re-launch.

I know this is the MOTU forum.....but I'm really nervous about the Ghostbusters stuff......its been so long that they have had any type of merchandise for people of that fan base to buy. Plus, action figure collectors like myself that are big fans of the movie that want to get their hands on this stuff. The way Mattel handles most of their lines.......doesn't bode well for the Ghostbusters figures.

Don't say that Ghostbusters doesn't have a big enough fan base cause it does.....and these figures are going to attract everyday collectors too.

Ghostbusters is going to have a short life anyway. Like the Indiana Jones line, it doesn't lend itself to sustainability. You get the four main guys....and then what? The William Atherton character? The Mayor? The blonde student from the beginning of the film? All highly sought after figures I'll admit. No chance of those ever pegwarming. I mean, yes there are other characters to make, but after you get the four GBs in their jumpsuits and proton packs, other figures in the line are just peripheral, not essential. Maybe them in their blue labcoats. Dana and Louis. A couple ghosts. whatever, less and less people will be concerned about future waves once they get that elusive Venkman figure. Bill Murray's a douche for making us wait this long.

I'd really like wave 7 of dcuc if it didn't take forever to complete its virtually a retail blackout for dcuc7 (they take months to come in and days to sell at both TRU and Wal-Mart) most of what I did find is coming from the online stores like TRU.com and Amazon. The others are intent on overcharging then getting even more money for shipping. Looks like my dcuc8 and 2 out of 6 of dcuc7 is going to be coming from amazon so that wal-mart thing is a FAIL.

I just saw over on the Mattel Facebook page that Mattel customer service reps are telling people outside the United States their orders for Merman were canceled because the US customers got priority over the International ones and that they should try again next week when the other shipment of figures come in. Way to blatantly discriminate Mattel. I really wonder sometimes if Mattel doesn't deliberately try to piss people off just to see how much of a rise they can get out of them. @poke2@

I just saw over on the Mattel Facebook page that Mattel customer service reps are telling people outside the United States their orders for Merman were canceled because the US customers got priority over the International ones and that they should try again next week when the other shipment of figures come in. Way to blatantly discriminate Mattel. I really wonder sometimes if Mattel doesn't deliberately try to piss people off just to see how much of a rise they can get out of them. @poke2@

I highly doubt that is the case. I think those are made up statements by pissed fans. Not saying they don't have a right to be pissed, but I think they jumped to conclusions instead of reporting facts. The only reason that you are hearing about international customers being cut out is because they as individuals were cut out. Somewhere in the world there are international customers so jazzed that they got a Mer-man they don't care to comment to the people that didn't.

Ghostbusters is going to have a short life anyway. Like the Indiana Jones line, it doesn't lend itself to sustainability. You get the four main guys....and then what? The William Atherton character? The Mayor? The blonde student from the beginning of the film? All highly sought after figures I'll admit. No chance of those ever pegwarming. I mean, yes there are other characters to make, but after you get the four GBs in their jumpsuits and proton packs, other figures in the line are just peripheral, not essential. Maybe them in their blue labcoats. Dana and Louis. A couple ghosts. whatever, less and less people will be concerned about future waves once they get that elusive Venkman figure. Bill Murray's a douche for making us wait this long.

I know, I'm not worried about the line going on past the 4 Ghostbusters......that's all I really want anyway. I just have a feeling that its gonna be pretty frustrating collecting these too....

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE