Star Trek Playmates Review/Pic thread

JonWes

Thought it might be nice to have a thread for everyone to share they're thoughts. I'll start the ball rolling....

Okay, I officially love the 3.75'' figures. They are SO much fun. And you really get a lot of value with all the accessories. I'm amazed at how much articulation these guys have and how well they are worked into the figure. The one iffy part are the hip articulation. They do look a little weird because they have to fall below the longer shirt which makes the figures look fine while standing but when they're sitting the torso looks weirdly extended. But that's just a compromise you'd have to make in order for the uniforms to look accurate. I am a little sad there's no way Uhura is ever sitting down but they did try to make the skirt of soft matterial. So she could kind of lean. Her legs are well articulated.

But anyway... They're so much fun! They are VERY poseable. I love how they painted the communicator onto the utility belt. I actually thought it might be removable at first. LOL. I also think they did a GREAT job of the likenesses. Especially for this scale. It's funny how much they managed to catch the actors. The only one that's semi-iffy to me is the Captain Kirk but even that's not bad. There are ton of interesting little touches - the gray in Captain Pike's hair and Uhura's nail polish. The detailing is very nice too - the pants and boots look especially nice.

As far as accessories, they all get a phaser and holster except Nero who gets his staff and disruptor. Only poor Spock is left with just his alternate hand. I can understand him not having much in the way of accessories, I guess. The bonus bridge/transporter pieces are cool. I find the transporter pieces a wee bit funny as they really look like something that should be included in the Transporter toy box! But oh well. The Bridge will be fun to collect and put together. We've got a ways to go though since we only get 7 pieces with this wave! I guess is Wave 2 is 10 figures we'll be nearly there. I do see the Bridge being hard to maintain though. Kids are going to be knocking these stations over like crazy during play. I do wish the pieces that formed 1 section A.) snapped together like the Transporter pieces and B.) had stickers that lined up better at the edge.

All in all though, I'm really liking this line. I'm sorely tempted by the 6'' line now... but I really do have to limit myself. I have more pics and discuss the Enterprise in the Enterprise pic thread btw.

The poses you can put them are great. Love they come with stands. I actually was annoyed by the tab on the back as they didn't sit flat... until I realized the tab was removable!

0010egac.jpg

Spock ready for action!

0010f0ts.jpg

Chekov, Scotty and Pike are some of my favorite likenesses in the line.

0010g8c4.jpg

The troika

0010hy1k.jpg

A crossover with some of my old (and rather battered) childhood friends

0010kwh3.jpg

Okay... this is one cool ship.

Now not everything's PERFECT for a collector. If you go in realizing that it's a toy first and don't try comparing it to DST's stuff I think most will be happy.

The bad news first: There's no alternate battery cover so you can fly a ship around without a big hole in the bottom. And the hole is quite large in proportion to the toy. The paint apps are fairly limited (probably what you expected) but on mine they were very neat and well done. However, there is a TON of legal copy on this toy. More then I've ever seen on a toy EVER. It's on the main hull as well as all around the light on the bottom surrounding the central light in a circle. You have an on and off switch on the bottom too. So how much this stuff annoys you will probably color your view of it. I think there's definitely room for DST to produce something more collector-friendly some day. But for right now...

It's really cool. This ship is so much fun. I like the dialogue, actually. Its clear and well done and the voices are recognizable. The lights are amazingly bright and cool. The strobing red-alert lights in particular is neat. I think this is a ton of fun. I hope tons of kids buy this thing. I can't wait for the Narada to come out to do battle with it. Also, the size is nice and seems comparable to the DST Enterprises. Eyeballing it I'd say it's 7.5'' x 13.5'' or so.

0010a96r.jpg

Thar be mouseprint legalise here cap'n!

0010dsqt.jpg

Who needs a night club?

0010bbyc.jpg

0010c00k.jpg

oh man! i gotta start hunting for them!

I should say I found these at Wal-Mart. They had a BIG display of them. About 15 pegs of the 3.75'' figures and 6 pegs or so of the 6'' line (which I was SO tempted to get but I need to limit my spending) and then a few facings of the Enterprise. I'm guessing they're still waiting for the roleplay and Bridge and Transporter to arrive. It was so nice to see such a big presence for them. If you're picky about paint slop you might want to do some digging though as some of them are better than others.

I picked up the Enterprise - about the only thing I'm currently planning on getting unless they release the Kelvin - and I do like it. It's nicely sturdy and as mentioned before it is maybe a bit plain in the paint-ap department but otherwise I like it.

Its saucer is the same diameter as the WoK Enterprise and it's only maybe a hair shorter over all. I think I expected it to be slightly larger but it's still nice to have.

Okay... this is one cool ship.

Now not everything's PERFECT for a collector. If you go in realizing that it's a toy first and don't try comparing it to DST's stuff I think most will be happy.

The bad news first: There's no alternate battery cover so you can fly a ship around without a big hole in the bottom. And the hole is quite large in proportion to the toy. The paint apps are fairly limited (probably what you expected) but on mine they were very neat and well done. However, there is a TON of legal copy on this toy. More then I've ever seen on a toy EVER. It's on the main hull as well as all around the light on the bottom surrounding the central light in a circle. You have an on and off switch on the bottom too. So how much this stuff annoys you will probably color your view of it. I think there's definitely room for DST to produce something more collector-friendly some day. But for right now...

It's really cool. This ship is so much fun. I like the dialogue, actually. Its clear and well done and the voices are recognizable. The lights are amazingly bright and cool. The strobing red-alert lights in particular is neat. I think this is a ton of fun. I hope tons of kids buy this thing. I can't wait for the Narada to come out to do battle with it. Also, the size is nice and seems comparable to the DST Enterprises. Eyeballing it I'd say it's 7.5'' x 13.5'' or so.

0010a96r.jpg

Thar be mouseprint legalise here cap'n!

0010dsqt.jpg

Who needs a night club?

0010bbyc.jpg

0010c00k.jpg

That ship looks absolutely incredible! :o

I'm lovin this new look Star Trek, and stuff like this makes me love it more. B)

Okay, I wasn't planning on getting any figures today, but I couldn't pass up on Captain Kirk. Hey, I'm from Iowa. I had to do it. As a matter of fact, it wasn't even my favorite figure in the assortment (I think that Captain Pike is the best over-all figure in the line so far) but I was more interested in the character.

kirk01.jpg

For under seven bucks (at Walmart) this guy actually came with a lot of stuff. As mentioned before in this thread, each figure comes with either a part to build the bridge or the transporter room. Kirk came with part "B9" and a chair. The chair is great and could be used for many figures in the scale. The bridge part is great if you want to build the bridge... but at this time that really doesn't interest me. He also comes with a phaser, which is nicely scaled, although the paint on mine was a bit sloppy. The quality control doesn't seem to be great on these (I had to go digging through the end cap to find a decent Kirk and I'm still going to have to touch up paint). I really like the removable belt, although I wonder if the communicator is too big (or is that a tricorder?). The stand is good, but it took a little time to get the peg into the foot. The removable clip on the stand was something that I pitched right away.

kirk02.jpg

The figure itself is not great, but is much better than I thought it would be. It's a hoot! I'm a big fan of 1/18 scale stuff, so this is up my alley (I can have the entire bridge crew in the size of a few Art Asylum figures). The ball jointed elbows have about as much articulation as "old Duke arms" but without any rifles to hold, it's not so much of a problem. Kirk's right hand does not hold the phaser with much authority and it often falls out. The legs are okay... t-crotches not being one of my favorites (although I've never really had a problem with them on Star Wars) and the ball jointed knees come close to a 90 degree angle, but ultimately fails. But with the way that the chairs are made, its not a problem.

The worst part of this figure is the head. It's probably the worst in the assortment. Well... Nero is the worst one... but because of the Hulk movie, Eric Bana is banned from my action figure collection. Nero's sculpt wasn't bad but I was not digging the paint job. But my Kirk's head isn't sculpted well and isn't even up to par with the Playmates toys of 10 years ago. A real disappointment. It also seems like the head may be slightly underscaled.

kirk03.jpg

These Star Trek figures fit in great with similar figures of scale, although they are a little shorter than 25th Anniversary GI Joe. In true 1/18 scale, Kirk ends up being around 5'-8". Not bad. Pictured is Wedge Antilles, Kirk, Dark Knight Batman, Mego Kirk from the Motion Picture (my first Star Trek toy as a kid) and General Hawk.

I'd say that these toys are highly playable, but may need some work for people that are buying them to display loose. The packaging is interesting, but it is apparent that these are meant more for kid who will dispose of the packages (not the greatest job of applying tape, a lot of damaged packages at the store...). It may be difficult to get a good set if you collect MOC due to some early QC issues. One could only hope that QC improves as the line goes on.

I saw the 6 inch figures and wasn't digging the molded on pattern of the uniform shirts. Which is too bad because I like the heads better. Any other thoughts on this?

its not that bad, the shirts is actually very soft stretchy plastic love the designs on the suit, may look like a sweater but atleast pick up one to judge for yourself if you can get over the 'sweater' look-- you'll love the figure. i know i do-- it think its the softness of the shirt i like the best i dunno why they look damn good with my marvel legends and dc universe and neca tmnt (don and leo) figures.

I saw the 6 inch figures and wasn't digging the molded on pattern of the uniform shirts. Which is too bad because I like the heads better. Any other thoughts on this?

its not that bad, the shirts is actually very soft stretchy plastic love the designs on the suit, may look like a sweater but atleast pick up one to judge for yourself if you can get over the 'sweater' look-- you'll love the figure. i know i do-- it think its the softness of the shirt i like the best i dunno why they look damn good with my marvel legends and dc universe and neca tmnt (don and leo) figures.

I guess it does look like a big thick sweater. I was originally thinking that it looked like Captain America armor or Aquaman scales.

Cool pics JonWes! And wow...you shot me a blast from the past with those TNG Galoob figures. I have wanted those figures for over twenty years now. Seriously...I just never got around to getting any of them. (lol) I had forgotten about them, to be completely honest. But your pics inspired me to seek some of them out, and I bought a Capt. Picard figure online...over twenty years late. (lol)

And it doesn't help that I'm currently experiencing a renewed interest in all things "Next Generation"-related. I've been watching every episode I can catch on Spike TV.

I picked up a few of the Galaxy Collection yesterday at WM. My main two gripes with them are the legs are positioned way too close together and their torsos are too wide at the waist. The waists look OK until you put the holsters on them. With the holsters off they look like they are wearing loose fitting shirts, but when you put the holsters on them then they look like they have major love handles on them. I picked up Kirk, Spock, Scotty & Pike. (Anyone else think the Pike could be a stand in Shatner Kirk) I wanted to get Bones as well, but I don't like that he's in a cadet uniform. I'll get Bones, Sulu, Chekov & Uhura at a later date. But I'll probably have to buy an extra Sulu & Spock so I can do head swaps with Bones & Chekov.

I did widen the stances on the ones I bought yesterday and I think now they look more natural stances.

IMGP4878.jpg

I posted a bunch of pics over at POA here -

http://www.pointsofarticulation.com/phpBB2...opic.php?t=5655

kirk03.jpg

These Star Trek figures fit in great with similar figures of scale, although they are a little shorter than 25th Anniversary GI Joe. In true 1/18 scale, Kirk ends up being around 5'-8". Not bad. Pictured is Wedge Antilles, Kirk, Dark Knight Batman, Mego Kirk from the Motion Picture (my first Star Trek toy as a kid) and General Hawk.

I used to have that same Admiral Kirk and some of the other figures from the ST:TMP line back when I was a kid

I heated the legs with a hairdryer for about 4 minutes so they got really soft & flexible then I placed a thumb-tack between their legs (just above the knee). Then while squeezing the hips tightly I ran the legs under cold water for about 40 seconds for them to cool off. Then I just let them sit there for a few hours with the tacks between their legs. When I remvoed the tack the legs had hardened into that pose.

So far I'm not really pleased with the 3" line, and that's my favorite scale for action figures, period. I just don't think much effort was put into the actual figures in lieu of added accessories that are really a pretty shady attempt to get fans to buy the entire line and then some.

I do like the 6" figures though. Something about those textured shirts really appeals to me & really sets them apart from previous ST lines. What I don't like however, are the painted faces. Never been a fan of that, and I'm kinda puzzled why Playmates chose to go this route after years of manufacturing ST figures with the heads molded in skin tones. I'll probably only be buying Kirk, Spock & McCoy, but I'll wait for the blue-shirted version of McCoy.

Anyway, I wasn't PLANNING on buying any of the 3" figures, until I found this beauty in a Walmart:

Spock1.jpg

Spock2.jpg

I mean, come ON... of all the figures for this to happen to.. oh I'm still lollercausting as I look at it now @loll@

Over at Articulated Discussion, I've finished reviewing two of the big timers from the 6" line, Kirk and Nero. One of them has officially received the lowest score ever at my site so far, so you can imagine how disappointed I was with them. Reviews at the link below!

Stark Trek Warp Collection Reviews

Also, I'm giving away a pile of new DCUC, MU, Star Trek, and Joe Resolute toys, and all you have to do is leave a few words. Check out the details for free toys here.

So has anyone bought doubles of Galaxy Collection Sulu, Bones, Chekov & Kirk and about 4 extra Scotty figures and done any head swaps to make a Security team? I'm thinking about doing that and repainting their hair so I'll have a Security team and extra crew members. So I was just wondering if anyone has done it yet?