WHO HOPES G.I. Joe Resolute

xhairs

do you want more if good  

57 members have voted

1. 1. if good

• oh yes we need a cartoon.to back the toys
    • no it wont help.the toys
    • im good with the toys alone.

Which brings me to another gripe, why is it that only GI Joe is held to these standards?

Probably because GIJOE started out as a child's toy-line, and its been seen as aimed at kids throughout its history.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which brings me to another gripe, why is it that only GI Joe is held to these standards?

Probably because GIJOE started out as a child's toy-line, and its been seen as aimed at kids throughout its history.

This is actually very true. GI Joe from the very beginning from when it was a 12" toy in the 60s was created for ids, designed for kids, re-designed for kids, and has always been intended for kids. To take someone that has had a kid friendly look for so long and suddenly decide "Hey, let's make a mature cartoon out of this" is a big u-turn for investors. Especially since this is America. The country that bitches when M rated video games have mature content @hmmm@

Has anyone else thought it's possible that it's Adult Swim burying the advertising and not Hasbro? I mean, think about it. Resolute has a rather action anime feel to it. How hard does Adult Swim usually push it's action anime shows? I know I rarely see ads for Full Metal Alchemist, Death Note, and Inuyasha on Adult Swim and yet they still work.

Yeah, being that Resolute is aimed at "adults" I don't think it's intended to merely be a promotional tool for toys is it? Any ADULT that's interested in watching a more sophisticated/violent type of G.I.Joe cartoon doesn't need anything to boost their toy collecting hobby...I wouldn't think?

If you think about it..what other cartoons on those networks even have a toy line that they're promoting with these cartoons? While the 80's ARAH was definitely a 30 minute COMMERCIAL for the toys...it's certainly evolved since then, and has a huge following of old fans and grownups who had them as kids and refuse to let go of the mythos. This seemed to be a nod to those fans, without any ridiculous notion of something to get the "KIDS" interested in some new fangled version of G.I.Joe for the new century.

Hell, if Adult Swim (or whatever network airs it) gets a nice little boost in viewers on G.I.Joe night..that in itself is good enough to get it on and make MORE episodes, as it's the advertisers that will WANT it then. The manly testosterone levels will spike during the 30 minutes of bloody battles between G.I.Joe and Cobra, and they could sell a ton of Enzyte and v i a g r a??? @loll@

Hell, if Adult Swim (or whatever network airs it) gets a nice little boost in viewers on G.I.Joe night..that in itself is good enough to get it on and make MORE episodes, as it's the advertisers that will WANT it then. The manly testosterone levels will spike during the 30 minutes of bloody battles between G.I.Joe and Cobra, and they could sell a ton of Enzyte and banned??? @loll@

But I would bet they won't make a sequel to Resolute. Hasbro going to be shopping around some kind of animated series that ties into the movie or something more kid friendly (like the Animated TF series). I highly doubt that Hasbro will do anything regarding Resolute. If it does well then they'll think the movie will do well because it's Joe and if Resolute does poorly then they'll think there wasn't a market for Resolute.

Hell, if Adult Swim (or whatever network airs it) gets a nice little boost in viewers on G.I.Joe night..that in itself is good enough to get it on and make MORE episodes, as it's the advertisers that will WANT it then. The manly testosterone levels will spike during the 30 minutes of bloody battles between G.I.Joe and Cobra, and they could sell a ton of Enzyte and banned??? @loll@

But I would bet they won't make a sequel to Resolute. Hasbro going to be shopping around some kind of animated series that ties into the movie or something more kid friendly (like the Animated TF series). I highly doubt that Hasbro will do anything regarding Resolute. If it does well then they'll think the movie will do well because it's Joe and if Resolute does poorly then they'll think there wasn't a market for Resolute.

Let's hope then, that Resolute does well and the movies tanks and stinks up the joint. Between the TWO (Resolute or Cobra with a woody) I'd rather have Hasbro SEE what kind of G.I.Joe needs to live LONG and prosper! They can stick their revamped and totally discombobulated movie version up their puh-tooties! This Resolute stuff seems like everything we've been wanting and waiting for and now all of a sudden it's a big question mark and unfinished, unfulfilled project for the scrap heap? <_<

Let's hope then, that Resolute does well and the movies tanks and stinks up the joint. Between the TWO (Resolute or Cobra with a woody) I'd rather have Hasbro SEE what kind of G.I.Joe needs to live LONG and prosper! They can stick their revamped and totally discombobulated movie version up their puh-tooties! This Resolute stuff seems like everything we've been wanting and waiting for and now all of a sudden it's a big question mark and unfinished, unfulfilled project for the scrap heap? <_<

man i am so with you on all this.

In all fearness (SP intentional), I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude to the movie and I do intend on picking up some of the figures. It just sucks that Hasbro constantly pulls this kind of crap with Joe.

Also, Ken pointed out that retailers may have actually ordered Hasbro to bury Resolute becuase they feared a mature GI JOe cartoon. I'm reminded of a recent statement by the professor in my Library Collection Development Class: "If you can't deal with a collection development issue because the person who usually handles that is on vacation, then that person might have too much power."

bump ater seeing it what do you think now???????

My opinion hasn't changed. The show is not going to reach enough people to have an effect on sales of the toys, or to get a order for a full season.

Also, Ken pointed out that retailers may have actually ordered Hasbro to bury Resolute becuase they feared a mature GI JOe cartoon.

Do "retailers" REALLY put that much thought into it...ALL of'em? Walmart is the most conservative of them all and you can buy Family Guy, Simpsons and South Park toys in their stores. What would this G.I.joe cartoon bring to the table that would shock and awe'em over and above the offensive nature of THOSE (made for adults but viewed by children) cartoons?

Do "retailers" REALLY put that much thought into it..

Yep, they do.

Its twofold here: the retailers that sell the goods, and the sponsors that buy air time for the show.

If you watched the show on TV, did you make note of who the sponsors were--the products on the commercials right before, during and right after the show?

Depending on what the product is, ands how prominent it is in the market, they can have a tremendous amount of say regarding the show--after all they are paying for it with their fees for the commercial itself.

If the sponsor doesn't care for the show, they pull their ads from it, taking away the money that show was supposed to get.

The thing about the time slot this "series" is being shown in is that the ad-time for it doesn't get a whole lot of exposure--there's simply not that many people watching cartoons at midnight.

If the ads are network ads ( which showcase the network itself or other shows on the network, then its an even more telling thing--the network and producer are carrying the costs of the show--in this case Hasbro and the broadcasting network. That means they are taking a loss in that market to broadcast that show. The more network ads shown, the more the network itself is bearing the cost of the show--which can be a good or bad thing depending on what's going on with the show.

See, in TV, the shows themselves are the filler between the commercials (not the other way around) because its via the commercials that TV shows make money.

The more popular the show it, the more the networks can charge for ad-time because more people are watching the show, and thus more are exposed to the products being advertised.

This is what makes or breaks TV shows--the numbers of people that watch the ads surrounding the show--not the shows themselves.

To that end, the retailers and sponsors want to get the most amount of people they can to watch a show, and if the show is not appealing to them, and what they think is their market, they'll express their grievances to those that produce the show.

If the show is controversial enough in their eyes, and has tie-in products like toys, they might get skittish about selling products associated with either/or.

An example is McFarlane's Spawn; he produced a adult, late-night animated series but had not toys based directly on it. He then later produced toys in a "animated style", but which were not based on the style of the cartoon--which had ended a couple years prior. The retailers did not want one to be directly associated to the other.

Its just the politics of the whole thing.

One thing that I see as promising is that the episodes are airing on the Cartoon Network Adult Swim website versus airing on the Hasbro website. Why this is good is because the number of hits a particular page gets can easily be tracked. So I'm thinking Cartoon Network might be using this to gauge just how many eyeballs might possible watch a regular series on the TV, which I could easily see this ending up on as it's not really that "adult", which I mean in the ways Afro Samurai was with language, nudity, and excessive blood. When Snake Eyes took out the guards while infiltrating Storm Shadows island stronghold, yes he killed the guards but clones die all the time in the Clone Wars cartoon (come on folks do you really think kids are going to buy a War cartoon where people don't die anymore, the see the really thing on CNN now.) but we didn't see blood spurting from gashing wounds, so seems kinda tame in comparison and that's not me saying it should have all the blood, I think it was all handled very appropriately so far in Resolute. And that really the only thing that is "adult" about the series so far, is it's sensibilities. It's doesn't talk down to the viewer or spend time explaining every little thing too you, because you as viewer are grown up enough to figure some stuff out on your own and able to infer things from a tone voice or slight actions of characters. And as much as I loved the old show (have the DVDs and watch them all the time) I don't think anyone, kids included, will except a war/terrorism cartoon where no one gets shot or always manages to bails out of the plane in enough time, in fact it insults them as they are well aware of how the real thing plays out on CNN, at least in a cartoon they can be reassured the good guys are out there always trying to stop such horrible things from happening. That's my two cents. So here's hoping the website gets enough hits for Cartoon Network to see it would be financially sound to order up 13 regular half hour episodes for a full season so I can finally get that awful sigma six taste out of my mouth.

Do "retailers" REALLY put that much thought into it..

Yep, they do.

Its twofold here: the retailers that sell the goods, and the sponsors that buy air time for the show.

While that may be the case, I still have to question WHY they would frown on this G.I.joe stuff when there's obviously a plethora of material out there that is far more offensive and controversial, that would get the same thumbs down if the "retailers" were TRULY this concerned about such issues? If they're that high and mighty in this presumed moralistic mindset over what they deem objectionable material, they're missing a lot of books that need to be burned.

Do they advertise toys on adultswim? I rarely watch the program, but for a few Family Guy showings, and I don't think childrens products are advertised at all, it's an "adult" program. I think I've seen more ads for pee pee enlarging products and other such adult products. TOYS that are sold of these adult programs (like Family Guy or even South Park) still show up at the retail chains, and there apparently was no fear of a parent connecting the toy to the adult nature of the program, that made the retailer remove it. I guess I'd have to wonder why G.I.Joe would get any MORE the negative reaction over these programs, if the retailers have that much control over it? Hypocrites maybe?

I watched the first 2 episodes last night on adultswim.com and I loved them, I don't even collect the figures anymore but when the episodes ended...I went right to GIJoe.com to see what Resolute product has come out. The realistic, adult approach to G.I. Joe really grabbed me.

A couple of things I don't see people mentioning:

1. Kids hate being talked down to or insulted. The original comic or file cards never did that and I loved it. Kids don't like to watch things that they feel are "for kids". Tone down the blood and Resolute could be a HUGE hit with kids. Kids tend to be into things that are a couple of years ahead of what focus groups tend to think.

2. Word of mouth/DVD sales. I use family guy as an example. Fox killed Family Guy, claiming it was a "Failure". Flash forward to the DVD sales, and they changed the tune pretty quickly. The dvd sales were big because of word-of-mouth from the fans of the show telling others they loved it, and of course the fact that the TV companies never REALLY understand how popular something is because of the stupid ways they gauge these things. As if a guy 2 miles down the road in a trailer park represents what I watch just because he got a dollar bill and a pack of smokes for having a neilsen box, which of course he doesn't even use properly anyway.

If the Resolute dvd hits, and sells big like I think it will, then everyone from Wal Mart to Hasbro will reconsider GI Joe.

Everyone seems to be on the fence (at best) with the film, but so far Resolute is universally LOVED by the entire fan base, and that is very, very rare for GI Joe.

PAY ATTENTION OLD PEOPLE THAT WORK AT THE BIG COMPANIES

1. Kids hate being talked down to or insulted. The original comic or file cards never did that and I loved it. Kids don't like to watch things that they feel are "for kids". Tone down the blood and Resolute could be a HUGE hit with kids. Kids tend to be into things that are a couple of years ahead of what focus groups tend to think.

Actually, with cartoons, kids seldom care. It happens so often in cartoons--especially those aimed at younger children that they become desensitized to it. In fact, some of the most popular kid's cartoons/shows are the worst offenders with this sort of thing, and kids watch the stuff regardless.

2. Word of mouth/DVD sales. I use family guy as an example. Fox killed Family Guy, claiming it was a "Failure". Flash forward to the DVD sales, and they changed the tune pretty quickly. The dvd sales were big because of word-of-mouth from the fans of the show telling others they loved it, and of course the fact that the TV companies never REALLY understand how popular something is because of the stupid ways they gauge these things. As if a guy 2 miles down the road in a trailer park represents what I watch just because he got a dollar bill and a pack of smokes for having a neilsen box, which of course he doesn't even use properly anyway.

DVD is a separate medium as far as TV is concerned, and a separate revenue stream. TV networks want a show to do well on TV, not on DVD, because the sponsorship of a TV series also means they get paid as well. DVDs tend to stay in circulation, but they tend to have much slower revenue intake than commercials, which the networks depend upon for cash on hand.

And a Nielsen box these days isn't hard to use properly--its all electronic, and they set it up and plug in in for you. The homeowner doesn't even have to bother with it, they just watch TV in their normal fashion. The whole idea of the Nielsen ratings is based on polling and demographics principles--one of the assumptions being the idea of trends being followed by 9 out 10 people.

With that in mind, if the Nielsen folks place a recording box in 1 out of 10 homes in a given defined area, the stats say they are getting a accurate polling of the interests in 9 of 10 of the audiences living in that area. The margin for error being 10% or less.

While that may be the case, I still have to question WHY they would frown on this G.I.joe stuff when there's obviously a plethora of material out there that is far more offensive and controversial, that would get the same thumbs down if the "retailers" were TRULY this concerned about such issues? If they're that high and mighty in this presumed moralistic mindset over what they deem objectionable material, they're missing a lot of books that need to be burned.

Do they advertise toys on adultswim? I rarely watch the program, but for a few Family Guy showings, and I don't think childrens products are advertised at all, it's an "adult" program. I think I've seen more ads for pee pee enlarging products and other such adult products. TOYS that are sold of these adult programs (like Family Guy or even South Park) still show up at the retail chains, and there apparently was no fear of a parent connecting the toy to the adult nature of the program, that made the retailer remove it. I guess I'd have to wonder why G.I.Joe would get any MORE the negative reaction over these programs, if the retailers have that much control over it? Hypocrites maybe?

Well, I've never seen Family Guy or South Park toys in any Wal-Mart I've been in (I've only seen those lines in specialty retailers like Suncoast or FYE or Spencers). I think I might have seen Simpsons stuff, but Simpsons hasn't really been "controversial" in 10 years or so and from my understanding the line is no longer being produced. Beyond that, though, "comedy" gets more of a free pass where offensive material is concerned.

But yeah...I'd double-check on where those Family Guy and South Park lines are being sold...because I'm pretty sure it's not Wal-Mart (or even Target for that matter).

All that having been said, for once I don't really believe it's the retailers "burying" Resolute. There's still a lot of idiots out there that immediately equate "cartoon" with "kids" so Resolute could have potentially been sold to them no matter what. It's mostly Hasbro and Cartoon Network burying Resolute. Not out of any fear that it's going to overshadow the movie (it won't, no matter how much some of us might wish for it), but because they realize it's playing to a stagnant audience.

wellll if we fight for it we could get 2 lines maybe.

Unless you're talking about holding guns to the heads of Hasbro's execs and the retail buyers, no, we couldn't, no matter how hard we "fight" for it.

The only way G.I. Joe is going to get two lines (which I -do- agree would be the ideal situation), is if G.I. Joe starts selling well enough for retailers to believe that two lines would actually sell and not "cannibalize" each other. In fact, that's the very reason I suspect G.I. Joe will never get "two separate lines." With Star Wars and Transformers, the two separate lines are very different aesthetics ("Realistic" vs "Animated"). With a G.I. Joe line, it'd all still be "realistic" figures. The differences wouldn't be great enough to warrant a separate line.

I think it's more likely that we'll end up with a "Universe" style line that incorporates both "classic" and "movie" (and "Resolute") figures under the same card style/branding.

The only way G.I. Joe is going to get two lines (which I -do- agree would be the ideal situation), is if G.I. Joe starts selling well enough for retailers to believe that two lines would actually sell and not "cannibalize" each other. In fact, that's the very reason I suspect G.I. Joe will never get "two separate lines." With Star Wars and Transformers, the two separate lines are very different aesthetics ("Realistic" vs "Animated"). With a G.I. Joe line, it'd all still be "realistic" figures. The differences wouldn't be great enough to warrant a separate line.

I think that if someone wants to see just how successful this truly is, they have to carefully look at what's been made.

But not the figures........the vehicles.

The original RAH line was popular enough to warrant the creation of many all new vehicles molds.

Its unclear just how much of the 25th Line is cleaned up molds, or all new stuff. The movie line has some new, some re-issued items, so its quite iffy in terms of how much "risk" they put into it.

Honestly, I think the movie vehicles are awful--very lukewarm in terms of design theming and very uninspired looking. The 2th Line vehicle releases have been timid, at best--with only a couple of medium sized vehicles, and mostly small ones made to date.

That tells me there's not a great deal of confidence in the brand, but just enough to fill it out with SOME stuff.

If this toy line was the success that some folks ( mistakenly) believe, we'd see items like the WHALE, or even the STUN on the horizon--but none of those are forthcoming for at least a couple of years yet.

Resolute looked interesting--both as toys and as a cartoon--but I think its a case of the "right product" at the wrong time.

Well, I've never seen Family Guy or South Park toys in any Wal-Mart I've been in (I've only seen those lines in specialty retailers like Suncoast or FYE or Spencers). I think I might have seen Simpsons stuff, but Simpsons hasn't really been "controversial" in 10 years or so and from my understanding the line is no longer being produced. Beyond that, though, "comedy" gets more of a free pass where offensive material is concerned.

But yeah...I'd double-check on where those Family Guy and South Park lines are being sold...because I'm pretty sure it's not Wal-Mart (or even Target for that matter).

FAMILY GUY

FAMILY GUY

*shrug* OK, I've still never seen 'em in the stores, but then again I haven't really been looking.

And it's still the whole "comedy" angle. Not to mention that Family Guy, South Park et al... were "controversial and offensive" from their inception. G.I. Joe, on the other hand, has been known as a "kid friendly" franchise from the beginning. Shifting it to "mature audiences" is something that retailers might not (probably won't) buy into.

not to mention south park and family guy are waayyy more popular than gi joe ever will be. not so much as toys but as tv shows. more people want to laugh at stupid jokes than watch snake eyes, no matter how BA, kill cobra troopers in a gruesome manner.